[Film] Sausage Party

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Film] Sausage Party

Post by Isgrimnur »

Red Band Trailer
Sausage Party, the first R-rated CG animated movie, is about one sausage leading a group of supermarket products on a quest to discover the truth about their existence and what really happens when they become chosen to leave the grocery store. The film features the vocal talents of a who’s who of today’s comedy stars – Seth Rogen, Kristen Wiig, Jonah Hill, Bill Hader, Michael Cera, James Franco, Danny McBride, Craig Robinson, Paul Rudd, Nick Kroll, David Krumholtz, Edward Norton, and Salma Hayek.
Spoiler:
I feel like a character from The Ring. Now that I have exposed others to it, I am free. FREE!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Re: [Film] Sausage Party

Post by Daehawk »

I just came to post this. Doh.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Sausage Party, the first R-rated CG animated movie
i feel that distinction goes to Anomalisa, seeing as how it came out first and all.
Jag

Post by Jag »

That poor potato.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wiki
Anomalisa is a 2015 American stop-motion comedy-drama film directed and produced by Charlie Kaufman and Duke Johnson, and written by Kaufman based on his 2005 play of the same name.
The puppets were created with the use of 3D printers, with multiple copies of each character.
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

Wasn't Anamolisa stop motion?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BAM!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

ohhhh i read it was CG. iiiinteresting
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I dunno. The "funny" in the trailer seemed to mostly be that the food was swearing. Don't get me wrong, I fucking love me some swearing, but I'm kinda burned out on Seth Rogen stoner humor. "Fuck me, right?" isn't funny.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pretty much a one joke movie.......
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Production shenanigans
CartoonBrew's recent interview with directors Conrad Vernon and Greg Tiernan features a pretty positive chat... until you get to the comments. Below the same article in which Tiernan brags about Sausage Party's miniscule budget (rumors have it at an insanely cheap $20 million), anonymous animators are coming forward to talk about the piss-poor treatment they endured at Nitrogen Studios.
The production cost were kept low because Greg would demand people work overtime for free. If you wouldn't work late for free your work would be assigned to someone who would stay late or come in on the weekend. Some artist were even threatened with termination for not staying late to hit a deadline.

The animation department signed a petition for better treatment and paid overtime. When the letter got to Annapurna they stepped in and saw that artist were payed and fed when overtime was needed.

Over 30 animators left during the coarse of the production due to the stress and expectations. Most of them left before the paid overtime was implemented. This was met with animosity and was taken as a personal insult to the owners. Their names were omitted from the final credits despite working for over a year on this film.
Understandably, nobody wants to put their name out there and risk being blacklisted by the industry. But all the commenters seem to agree on three things: The people they worked with were great, they're proud of the finished product, and Greg Tiernan is a huge asshole.
-They fired the CG Supervisor mid production (one of many supervisors who got fired during the show) because he would say "we can't do this in budget" to Greg and Conrad's ideas. Which by the way both were the worst directors I worked with and had zero direction or vision. Their idea of directing was "lets throw shit at a wall until one sticks" so you would waste a ton of work until it gets approved and sometimes that would get unapproved in the future because they were in a bad mood.

-There was always this weird rivalry between the directors. Mostly with Greg because while Conrad was a co-director on a bunch of DW movies all Greg has under his name is the Thomas the Train episodes nitrogen did and he felt like he had to prove he is the top dog. He would get SUPER mad when he walks into dailies and finds animators talking to Conrad before he is in the room. He actually fired an animation supervisor over this.
The movie is currently at an 82% on RT, 66% from user ratings, and opened at #2 with $33.6M, behind Suicide Squad's second week at $43.8M.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Seth Rogen is someone that I just can't take. I don't find him funny at all and Superbad was so terrible that I got angry. I think he said he wrote that movie when he was a kid and I believe it.

There is a end credits scene in 22 Jump Street where Seth Rogen plays Jonah Hill's character and it made me realize how awful that movie would have been with him in the lead. God, I'm just imaging that movie with Seth Rogen and James Franco. <shivers>
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

McNutt wrote:Seth Rogen is someone that I just can't take. I don't find him funny at all and Superbad was so terrible that I got angry. I think he said he wrote that movie when he was a kid and I believe it.
It's on my Top 5. Well, Top 6, at least.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I have no strong feelings on Rogan either way, but I :romance-heartbeating: Superbad.

Edit - I should have just scrolled down a few posts from the thread Isg linked to.

:tjg:
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Normally, he doesn't hold my attention. Not good for a leading role but not horrible for a supporting actor. That said, I kinda want to see this. I almost went this weekend. It was between that and Suicide Squad and then I remembered I never actually go out, so I got frustrated playing Stellaris until the End Game Crisis made the game untenable again.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My wife almost took the kids to see this but caught on at the last minute. I am often annoyed at her, and this sort of thing is one of the reasons.

So she rented Key and Peele's Keanu instead. :roll:

It's like you steer her away from walking single mindedly off a cliff only to have her walk off a different cliff 5 seconds later.

edit: Both Seth Rogan and Superbad are awesome. Not everything Rogan does is awesome, but enough is that I view him positively. How anyone could dislike Superbad is beyond me.

edit: James Franco should go work at McDonald's. I can't stand him at all, and he drags everyone down with him.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote:My wife almost took the kids to see this but caught on at the last minute. I am often annoyed at her, and this sort of thing is one of the reasons.
I assumed it was a kids movie until I saw the rating on the trailer before Suicide Squad. I even remember this thread from the spring, but didn't make the connection. Your wife isn't alone.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah but you probably wouldn't make plans to go see it without at least a cursory review of what the film is about.

My point isn't that the movie is obviously not for kids, it's that she was going to take them to a movie because the advertising art looked vaguely kid-like.

It's like feeding your kids play dough because it was shaped like a hamburger on the can.

Keanu is rated R and opens in a stripclub and is full of motherf bombs. This is the movie she decided to rent when she realized Sausage Party was not appropriate for our kids. On a positive note, my oldest (12) said that besides the boobs and the swearing, it was a pretty good movie.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

GreenGoo wrote: Keanu is rated R and opens in a stripclub and is full of motherf bombs. This is the movie she decided to rent when she realized Sausage Party was not appropriate for our kids. On a positive note, my oldest (12) said that besides the boobs and the swearing, it was a pretty good movie.
Best mom in the world! When I was 12, my mom almost dragged me out of Logan's Run because you saw a side shot of Jenny Agutter's boob and her butt.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

My oldest daughter had a sleepover (she was 10-11) and the next morning she watched Airplane with the kids after I told her what a great movie it was. My wife reminded me later on about the bouncing boobs scene....somehow I had forgotten that. :)
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I saw Logan's Run in the theater with my parents when it came out. I remember that scene fondly...

Also saw Blazing Saddles, it mostly went over my head. Cracked up during the campfire scene but c'mon, I was 5 years old.

Saw Holy Grail with them when it came out. My Dad and I embarrassed my Mom for YEARS after that clacking coconuts together and galloping while grocery shopping.

Saw Stripes and (gulp!) Risky Business with my Mom in the theater when I was a teenager. It's hard to dig on boobies when you're with your Mom.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The NY Times gave this movie a surprisingly good review. It looked like dumb potty humor to me, but "nuanced meditations on theology and faith"? OK, welcome to my netflix queue.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kraken wrote:The NY Times gave this movie a surprisingly good review. It looked like dumb potty humor to me, but "nuanced meditations on theology and faith"? OK, welcome to my netflix queue.
Did you see This is The End? It was surprisingly good as well.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've found new respect for Seth Rogen after getting hooked on "Preacher." The guy may typically play a dumbass, but it's clear he has a really keen eye for successful projects.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote:I've found new respect for Seth Rogen after getting hooked on "Preacher." The guy may typically play a dumbass, but it's clear he has a really keen eye for successful projects.
*Preacher* lost me when they waited between the premier and the second episode. My attention and memory don't hold that well. Maybe I'll revisit it when they a binge watch the entire season day. Or maybe not.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Autostraddle Apologizes for Favorably Reviewing the ‘Animated Queer Taco’ in Sausage Party
A news site aimed primarily at LGBTQ women issued a remarkably comprehensive apology after it ran a review of Seth Rogen's new film, Sausage Party, that hailed the inclusion of Salma Hayek's sexually-curious Latina taco character.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote:I've found new respect for Seth Rogen after getting hooked on "Preacher." The guy may typically play a dumbass, but it's clear he has a really keen eye for successful projects.
Preacher was, without a doubt, my favorite summer series. I found myself just as invested in Preacher as I had been in Better Call Saul and Fargo. Two shows I consider the best on tv right now. Preacher can now join those lofty ranks, as far as I'm concerned.

Also, This is the End was surprisingly funny as well.
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Moliere wrote:Autostraddle Apologizes for Favorably Reviewing the ‘Animated Queer Taco’ in Sausage Party
A news site aimed primarily at LGBTQ women issued a remarkably comprehensive apology after it ran a review of Seth Rogen's new film, Sausage Party, that hailed the inclusion of Salma Hayek's sexually-curious Latina taco character.
There are way too many unknowns to have even a remote possibility of an accurate opinion on this for me, since I haven't seen the movie, nor read the review, nor the criticisms aimed at the review.

Good luck, LGTBQ(whatever order these letters are supposed to be in) community. Feel free to squabble amongst yourselves.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now available on Netflix streaming.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We watched this last month and I thought it was horrifically bad. I actually considered punching my tv I hated it that much. :x
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I managed to watch the whole thing but I was constantly tempted to abandon it.
Last edited by dbt1949 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I couldn't get through it. The potty humor got old in a hurry for me.

Terrible movie.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This isn't at all the kind of movie that I will like, but I put it in the queue anyway after the NYT ran a positive review last summer. Apparently it's a religious experience. Looks like it's creeping far enough up the queue to arrive in the next couple of weeks.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Watched it last night. It was pretty bad. There were a few decent jokes, but mainly it seemed like a vehicle to make not-at-all-subtle and very obvious sex jokes. That can work sometimes (I loved Superbad, for example), but it fell pretty flat here most of the time.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I guess I should skip it, then.
Isgrimnur wrote:I watched Superbad and spent the entire film on the edge of turning it off and sending it back unfinished.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Octavious wrote:We watched this last month and I thought it was horrifically bad. I actually considered punching my tv I hated it that much. :x
I couldn't get past the first 10-15 minutes. The stream conveniently froze at that point and provided an easy opportunity to put something else on instead.
Black Lives Matter
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Loved it.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
JCC

Post by JCC »

It's fantastic. The closing, chaotic "storm" near the end almost made me pass out from laughing.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Watched this on Netflix streaming a couple days ago. There were a couple clever bits but I think I only laughed out loud once. If you have a couple hours to kill you can do worse but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I thought this might be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. At least there are unintentional laughs in bad movies. The entire premise of the "comedy" in this movie is swearing, just like in the trailers. Swearing can be hilarious, of course. In the South Park movie, for example, there's Uncle Fucker. But at least that has the subtext of how the over-the-top swearing is corrupting the youth. In Sausage Party there's no cleverness, no satire, no laughs. It was painful.