[movie] Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I know we had a thread on this. I would not know about the movie any other way. I even remember a trailer. But search wont find it with beasts, fantastic, fantastic beasts, or Rowling. So hell I just made this thread.

New trailer is out. Looks interesting. I still haven't seen the potter movies. I get more behind by the day.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/51575/har ... index.html
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kelric

Re: [movie] Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them

Post by Kelric »

You should give them a watch; they get better as the kids get older.

I'm sure I'll see this one in theaters as long as the reviews aren't terrible. Should be fun.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I read and saw the movies for Harry Potter and I'm not sure why. They always rubbed me the wrong way. I suppose they are good fantasy for those that feel powerless over their own lives but I always felt that Harry was akin to the Stainless Steel Rat, which also rubbed me the wrong way. He was a rotten kid for whom everything fell into place. Even before all of the commentary, Snape felt like the best character from the beginning and I always hoped for the Slytherine kid's redemption.

OtOH, this doesn't tell me much and by virtue of that it kinda looks interesting. The world of Potter, where magic coexists with an anachronistic reality had the potential to be a rich world, so I'll probably bite on this. How was the book? Does it look to make for an interesting conversion into a novel? I like the idea of a sort of magical pseudo 20th century Darwin of magic.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

As far as I know, the book was mostly a reference book about the world's monsters (a grimoire?), which is why Rowling wrote this as there was nothing more than just a basis for an idea. She basically had to write a new story for this movie.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote:I suppose they are good fantasy for those that feel powerless over their own lives... He was a rotten kid for whom everything fell into place. Even before all of the commentary, Snape felt like the best character from the beginning and I always hoped for the Slytherine kid's redemption.
It started for kids, and kids are always powerless over their own lives. I never took him for a "rotten kid" - but rather one that was completely ignorant, always behind the curve, and could only succeed with the help of others. Snape, as a character, was good - but nothing worth rooting for until the last couple movies. Draco was a worthless prat that I believe everyone was supposed to love to hate; I never held out any hope for redemption given his life-long desire to be a complete cockmunch.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote:I never took him for a "rotten kid" - but rather one that was completely ignorant, always behind the curve, and could only succeed with the help of others.

And he was given all of the help from others because of who he was, the boy that lived. And he took all of this help to cheat and lie and torment others and get into serious trouble only to need more help and to be bailed out and then have praise heaped on him.
Draco was a worthless prat that I believe everyone was supposed to love to hate; I never held out any hope for redemption given his life-long desire to be a complete cockmunch.
Draco came from a shitty home and was blinded by family. I hoped that he could overcome his upbringing to be a better human being.

The take away from this for me was that there is no growth. There is only being born into what you are. I am told the sorting hat was supposed to dispel this.

Snape was the exception for me, though I suppose Hermione was also supposed to be, though in reality, she was also gifted to be who she was. The Weasley's were actually the ones growing beyond their stations and they were largely reduced to comic relief.

Different interpretations, I guess, and I'm often backwards in my world view, but it still worked on me. I still read all of the books and saw all of the movies in spite of having more sympathy and hope for (some of) the villains than for the heroes.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

LordMortis wrote:I read and saw the movies for Harry Potter and I'm not sure why. They always rubbed me the wrong way. I suppose they are good fantasy for those that feel powerless over their own lives but I always felt that Harry was akin to the Stainless Steel Rat, which also rubbed me the wrong way. He was a rotten kid for whom everything fell into place. Even before all of the commentary, Snape felt like the best character from the beginning and I always hoped for the Slytherine kid's redemption.

OtOH, this doesn't tell me much and by virtue of that it kinda looks interesting. The world of Potter, where magic coexists with an anachronistic reality had the potential to be a rich world, so I'll probably bite on this. How was the book? Does it look to make for an interesting conversion into a novel? I like the idea of a sort of magical pseudo 20th century Darwin of magic.
Wow, I bet you rooted for Loki in all the Marvel movies, for the Joker in the Batman movies and for who ever was the bad guys in the Twilight movies. And you probably wanted the whale to digest Pinochio.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

LordMortis wrote:
Paingod wrote:I never took him for a "rotten kid" - but rather one that was completely ignorant, always behind the curve, and could only succeed with the help of others.

And he was given all of the help from others because of who he was, the boy that lived. And he took all of this help to cheat and lie and torment others and get into serious trouble only to need more help and to be bailed out and then have praise heaped on him.
Draco was a worthless prat that I believe everyone was supposed to love to hate; I never held out any hope for redemption given his life-long desire to be a complete cockmunch.
Draco came from a shitty home and was blinded by family. I hoped that he could overcome his upbringing to be a better human being.

The take away from this for me was that there is no growth. There is only being born into what you are. I am told the sorting hat was supposed to dispel this.

Snape was the exception for me, though I suppose Hermione was also supposed to be, though in reality, she was also gifted to be who she was. The Weasley's were actually the ones growing beyond their stations and they were largely reduced to comic relief.

Different interpretations, I guess, and I'm often backwards in my world view, but it still worked on me. I still read all of the books and saw all of the movies in spite of having more sympathy and hope for (some of) the villains than for the heroes.
I think you simplified things beyond belief. Harry was a messed up tormented kid who was basically abused by his "family". Sure he came into Hogwarts with ideas but with time those ideas changed, his character grew. Snape was an ass early in the movies, holding Harry responsible for the acts of his father. And Draco was the bully.

But over the course of 7 movies those characters changed, and as motivations became clear the way those characters thought of each other changed.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote:

I only saw it as Harry being a rare commodity - something Voldemort couldn't touch - and people were willing to go to great lengths, even to lay down their lives for that. Even in the end, he's just a barely passable wizard with a talent to fend off evil and little else. He also made mistakes, but generally tried to do the right thing.
LordMortis wrote:
Paingod wrote:Draco was a worthless prat that I believe everyone was supposed to love to hate; I never held out any hope for redemption given his life-long desire to be a complete cockmunch.
Blinded by family, yes. They defined who he was from a young age. I can't imagine someone who's spoon-fed a superiority complex for their entire childhood ever coming down off that high, though. It's not like his parents were just cruel and he had a hard time. His parents were cruel to an end of making him cruel and passing down the belief of their bloodline's superiority. He had every advantage afforded that wealth could provide and still felt the need to try and bully his way around.
LordMortis wrote:The take away from this for me was that there is no growth. There is only being born into what you are. I am told the sorting hat was supposed to dispel this.
The sorting hat put him with Slitherine because that's exactly the kind of person he was when he entered the school; it doesn't re-choose you year after year. You just get stuck with the group you have the most in common with. I imagine this is designed to help keep people in their own comfort zones, a segregation by personality.
Black Lives Matter

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think the great thing about Harry is that he acts like a real kid. Sometimes he's arrogant, sometimes he's spoiled, sometimes he's honorable, sometimes he's mischievous, sometimes he's selfish, sometimes he's generous...etc. In the end he's a good person just trying to find his way through a world of adults manipulating him, just like most real kids.

It would have been very easy for Rowling to just make him a two-dimensional hero figure that always does the right thing, but it wouldn't have made the story as compelling. There's a reason the books appeal to both adults and kids, and a big part of that reason is that the characters are much more complex than you get in a typical "children's book."

I remember the revelation that (spoilered just in case):
Spoiler:
Harry's dad was a bully. As an adult reader, I felt the same sense of disappointment that kids feel when they grow up and realize their parents are human and fallible. That's a remarkable lesson to put in a kid's book, and it's stuff like that that makes them so brilliant.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Regards your spoiler....I think that is something made very evident in the movies. It is something Harry doesn't understand until almost the end of the series....maybe book/movie 6, with a few clues early on.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kelric wrote:You should give them a watch; they get better as the kids get older.

I'm sure I'll see this one in theaters as long as the reviews aren't terrible. Should be fun.
The movies are kind of meh after reading the books. The books are SO much better. The only movie which could be better than the book is book 5 - order of the phoenix, and that's because she just put too much emo harry into the book and it drags, while the movie actually had some really smart editing to make it better.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Scuzz wrote:Regards your spoiler....I think that is something made very evident in the movies. It is something Harry doesn't understand until almost the end of the series....maybe book/movie 6, with a few clues early on.
You know, too, in hindsight - that bullying seemed pretty focused on Snivellous and no one else. I think he was doing the jealous boyfriend thing through most of that, likely picking up on what we learned in the last chapters - but in the end he still became a good man.
Black Lives Matter

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Harry's father was a general asshole and particularly nasty to Snape. He's redeemed by his friends and taking a stand against Valdemort, but he's not a "good" person. He's just a person who does good -- much like Snape.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I never got "general asshole" out of his story - I guess I'll need to review that the next time I go back there (I may not re-read the books, and I don't think the movie would go that in-depth).
Last edited by Paingod on Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I keep reading the title of this thread "Fantastic Breasts and Where To Find Them" and am disappointed every time I click on it and find it lacking any NSFW content. :?
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I click on it expecting the movie info and talk but Im not seeing that either :)
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Daehawk wrote:I click on it expecting the movie info and talk but Im not seeing that either :)
I doubt I will see the movie, unless it has very good reviews and my daughter wants to go. I loved the Harry Potter books/movies, but I don't necessarily need to revisit the world.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote:I click on it expecting the movie info and talk but Im not seeing that either :)

You should maybe check out my earlier post in this thread. :P
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Paingod wrote:I never got "general asshole" out of his story - I guess I'll need to review that the next time I go back there (I may not re-read the books, and I don't think the movie would go that in-depth).
Lupin admits to Harry he was asked to keep Harry's dad in line but didn't do a great job, and in a flashback Harry's mom called James out when they first met.

I read the series recently to keep up with my 8 year old. ;) She has little interest in the last book or the movies right now.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I enjoyed the Fantastic beasts movie quite a lot. The main character was offputting at first, at least to me, but by the end I was ok with it.
There were some plot issues I didn't like, but overall a good story. There is a monster that could be scary for younger kids, not just the monster itself, but the circumstances that surround the monster.
There was plenty of magic which was nice, and it was nice to get a more worldview instead of being restricted to london and a country castle.

i saw it in the theater and like it enough to purchase the disk when ti came out, so thats both thumbs up.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

My wife hated it and I thought it was "meh" I enjoyed it but wouldn't sit through it a second time.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote:
Paingod wrote:I never got "general asshole" out of his story - I guess I'll need to review that the next time I go back there (I may not re-read the books, and I don't think the movie would go that in-depth).
Lupin admits to Harry he was asked to keep Harry's dad in line but didn't do a great job, and in a flashback Harry's mom called James out when they first met.

I read the series recently to keep up with my 8 year old. ;) She has little interest in the last book or the movies right now.
I look forward to you explaining the backstory for Barbie's Adventure Island next time I see you.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Winter Is Coming
Director Denis Villeneuve’s Dune movie finally has a release date, and like a giant sandworm, it’s destroying anything that lies in its path. Well, it’s destroying one thing. According to CNBC, Dune will take the November 2020 slot previously reserved for Fantastic Beasts 3, likely bumping that film — the third of five planned movies — 2021.
As for Fantastic Beasts 3, it’s may be a good thing that Warner Bros. is taking time to get it right. The Crimes of Grindelwald, the second movie in what Warner Bros. is hoping will be a hugely successful franchise, made $652.8 million at the worldwide box office, which is great but lower than any other Harry Potter film. And the movie only scored 37% at Rotten Tomatoes, which isn’t promising. It may time for some retooling.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Variety
Johnny Depp will no longer portray the dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald in the “Fantastic Beasts” film franchise, the actor announced Friday.

“I wish to let you know that I have been asked to resign by Warner Bros. from my role as Grindelwald in ‘Fantastic Beasts’ and I have respected and agreed to that request,” he wrote Friday on Instagram.

Depp’s exit from the “Harry Potter” spinoff series comes days after he lost his libel case against The Sun, a British tabloid that published an article in 2018 alleging he was a “wife beater.” Depp said he plans to appeal the ruling.
“Johnny Depp will depart the ‘Fantastic Beasts’ franchise. We thank Johnny for his work on the films to date,” a Warner Bros. spokesperson said. “‘Fantastic Beasts 3’ is currently in production, and the role of Gellert Grindelwald will be recast. The film will debut in theaters worldwide in the summer of 2022.”
MHS

Post by MHS »

Meh. The Fantastic Beasts movies sucked anyway, and cancel culture has drowned out JK Rowling for her shitty gender ideology. I don't know if Depp is/was abusive but enough evidence seems to support it that I can't boo hoo for him. Good for WB.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The first one was fairly good, but the second one tried to do too much, had too many characters and spread things too thin, with some of the main characters ending up with not much to do. Like Newt, for instance, being a main character should have had more to do in his movie, but he was almost secondary in it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Indie Wire
Per an official release from Warner Bros.: The studio announced today that Mads Mikkelsen (“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” “Hannibal,” “Casino Royale”) has been cast as Dark Wizard Gellert Grindelwald in the third “Fantastic Beasts” film.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Awful that Depp cant get work yet Heard can..ugh.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

No.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

While I’m of the belief that pretty much every movie can only benefit from at least 25 percent Mads Mikkelson...more if you want to be super awesome...I also believe this was a knee jerk reaction based on some sketchy testimonies. There’s enough doubt about Heard’s side of things, combined with her own filmed admission that she had issues with her temper that would result in her physically attacking Depp, that I don’t think running the guy out of town on rails ( figuratively speaking, of course) is either warranted or fair.

Still...it does mean more Mads.

Damn....this is a tough one.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its why so many are mad the next Aquaman will have her and plan a boycott.

But Mads is cool...very cool.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I also don’t want to see her tried and executed in the court of public opinion. I’d rather see both of them go on with their lives. They both made mistakes, I’m guessing.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:46 pm I think the great thing about Harry is that he acts like a real kid. Sometimes he's arrogant, sometimes he's spoiled, sometimes he's honorable, sometimes he's mischievous, sometimes he's selfish, sometimes he's generous...etc. In the end he's a good person just trying to find his way through a world of adults manipulating him, just like most real kids.

It would have been very easy for Rowling to just make him a two-dimensional hero figure that always does the right thing, but it wouldn't have made the story as compelling. There's a reason the books appeal to both adults and kids, and a big part of that reason is that the characters are much more complex than you get in a typical "children's book."

I remember the revelation that (spoilered just in case):
Spoiler:
Harry's dad was a bully. As an adult reader, I felt the same sense of disappointment that kids feel when they grow up and realize their parents are human and fallible. That's a remarkable lesson to put in a kid's book, and it's stuff like that that makes them so brilliant.
YK - did you ever see the Play (effectively book 8) - Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (or read the screenplay, which reads basically like a book)?

It deals a lot with Harry and Draco as parents, and delves a bit more into how parents can be human and fallible and project their regrets onto their kids...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Pyperkub wrote:YK - did you ever see the Play (effectively book 8) - Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (or read the screenplay, which reads basically like a book)?
I did not but thanks for the reminder, I do want to read that as I doubt I'll ever get a chance to see the play.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

This actually looks decent. Now I just wish I could scrub my memory of the second one. The second one felt rather busy and unnecessary.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We still haven't seen the second one, even though my wife tells me we own a digital copy.