[Film] Ghost in the Shell - Live Action

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: [Film] Ghost in the Shell - Live Action

Post by El Guapo »

YellowKing wrote:
hepcat wrote: That way leads to the envelope being pushed in the wrong direction...and I truly believe that being too sensitive and wrong is the lesser of two evils.
I tend to think the opposite. That by being too sensitive, we risk being the boy who cried wolf to the point that it all becomes noise that is either ignored or stirs up resentment. We all say we strive for a "color-blind" world where nobody sees color, but I don't know how we get there when every perceived slight is blamed on racism.
I mean, the trick with it is that there is an undeniable history of racism connected to the casting of white people in minority roles. So the casting of a white actor in the role of a minority character is not automatically racist, but it's not exactly crazy to wonder whether racism played a role in any particular such casting decision.

The other thing is that the casting of established white actor 'stars' in minority roles out of a fear that people won't go to see films with heavily minority casts involves an inherent amount of racism, even if the studio heads in question are driven primarily out of monetary motives rather than directly racist motives.
Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The Full Trailer is out (3 days ago). It looks like a stunningly faithful adaptation - color adaptations aside.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I saw the trailer before Fantastic Beasts and thought it looked fantastic. I have zero background knowledge of this property, but I definitely want to see the movie.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Odin wrote:I saw the trailer before Fantastic Beasts and thought it looked fantastic. I have zero background knowledge of this property, but I definitely want to see the movie.
Imagine what you saw in the trailer was drawn as Anime (with more nipples - NSFW) instead of live action :D
Black Lives Matter

Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

Never saw the anime of it. Interestingly, the character doesn't look all that Asian to me. But then again, a lot of anime characters are a meld of western and Asian.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

If you'd like to watch a solid 5 minutes of footage.
Black Lives Matter

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

why does this exist
Holman

Post by Holman »

It looks like it will be cool in a legacy-of-the-cyberpunk-1980s kind of way. I don't care that it's not entirely faithful to the manga. The manga still is.

That first five minutes gave me a Johnny Mnemonic vibe more than anything else.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RT: 43%
Critics Consensus: Ghost in the Shell boasts cool visuals and a compelling central performance from Scarlett Johansson, but the end result lacks the magic of the movie's classic source material.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Watched it, I think I like it more than RT, but this movie is far more about the visuals than the storyline.

I never saw the anime either, but from what I heard, the live action version is VERY faithful. And there actually *is* a reasonable explanation for the white-washing of the characters.
Spoiler:
Remember, the "new" body, a cybernetic one, is not necessarily modeled after the old one, and since all memories are fake any way, does it matter what name she uses?
The plot is original, though it shared some plot elements with various episodes. Spider tank, gynoids (robo geishas in the movie), puppetmaster, etc. had been remixed into a new plot. I think the theme carried through quite well, about the soul survives despite attempts to overwrite it with false memories.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote:RT: 43%
Critics Consensus: Ghost in the Shell boasts cool visuals and a compelling central performance from Scarlett Johansson, but the end result lacks the magic of the movie's classic source material.
It was at 60% a couple days ago; must have been a big swath of negative reviews in the past couple days (it's at 41% now).

Regardless, I'm seeing this Sunday afternoon.
Hodor.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I feel bad for the creators of movies like this, Watchmen would be another example of this issue. The original material had an impact because, at the time, it was a fresh idea. If you wait until after others have taken that idea and run with it, then others came along after that and ran that idea into the ground, it's going to be very difficult to not look like you're the one copying them.

I'm on the fence on this one. On one hand, this is a movie to see on the big screen, that's obvious. On the other hand, other than the visuals, I know everything in this movie is going to be of the 'been there/done that' variety. That is to say, boring.

As far as the race issue, the only thing that bugs me is that there aren't many chances to see different races in big movies as it is. So when a chance comes up, such as a movie set in Asia, and somehow the lead character is a white American, it's just a bit sad and disconcerting. You could say that Scarlet is a big star and will draw audiences and that's true. But how is an Asian actress ever going to have a shot at being a big star and proving herself to be a box office draw if she never gets a shot at a lead role? So we remain stuck in that self fulfilling prophecy.
Brian

Post by Brian »

gameoverman wrote:On one hand, this is a movie to see on the big screen, that's obvious. On the other hand, other than the visuals, I know everything in this movie is going to be of the 'been there/done that' variety. That is to say, boring.
One review I saw stated that this movie was "beautifully boring."
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was reading reviews of an indie horror film I was interested in a while back. My favorite review simply stated that it was the most relaxing horror film he'd ever seen. :lol:
He won. Period.