RIP Prince

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Remus West

Re: RIP Prince

Post by Remus West »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:10 am
McNutt wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:01 am For me it's not just Cornell's voice, which is amazing, but his delivery. It's so damn impressive.

I am going to agree that you Sinead weirdos are just flat out wrong. I bet you guys also prefer Pierce Brosnan.
Hey, man. Pierce was great in Goldeneye. It was the perfect Bond movie for him. Overall, of course, Connery is the best.
Again we agree!
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

In my opinion Prince's version is fine, but it lacks the emotion Chris and Sinead brought to it. Whether that's because it was Prince's take on the song or whether it was just because it was a rehearsal, who knows. But that's fine. You don't have to prefer every track a legend's ever done to still consider him a legend.
MHS

Post by MHS »

TheMix wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:30 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:12 am
RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:56 am
ImLawBoy wrote:It's good, but nothing compares 2 Sinead's version.
A demonstrably false statement. She comes in 2nd place to Chris Cornell.
Yeah, no. Cornell's version is fine, if a bit over the top. Sinead's version is so intimate and haunting that it stands above.
I'm with ILB on this one.
Me too. I like Sinead's above all.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I was unaware that I was around so many wrong people. I think it's time for me to go.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Please don't. Nothing compares to you.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Magician
Purple Rain live for the first time with interesting commentary.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Terrible video quality but great sound at least. Sounds so true to the album. Most bands / singers dont live. I remember seeing Purple Rain at the theater here in town when it came out. Amazing. Bought the album. Wore the cassette out.

Always found it kinda shitty how he guarded his music so much that people couldn't listen to it online. I owned the dang cassette SOMEWHERE. Sigh. Heard he made hundreds of songs and videos for them then just packed them into the vault. Now someone will get rich on them. Shame for him. Good for us I suppose. But without Prince around its just not the same to me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

People
The six-year-long court battle regarding Prince's estate finally came to a close, leaving two parties to split roughly $6 million in cash and more regarding the late musician's $156 million estate.

On Monday, the Minnesota First Judicial District issued an order that splits the cash in Prince's estate evenly between two legal entities, Prince Legacy LLC and Prince Oat Holdings LLC, according to a copy of the order obtained by PEOPLE.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How could someone as rich and seemingly smart as Prince not leave a clear will. Geez.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:44 am How could someone as rich and seemingly smart as Prince not leave a clear will. Geez.
He had bad lawyers.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:46 am
Daehawk wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:44 am How could someone as rich and seemingly smart as Prince not leave a clear will. Geez.
He had bad lawyers.
More likely a bad client. I read that there was no will at all. I can't imagine that he didn't get frequent reminders this was a bad idea.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As eccentric as he was, he may not have truly considered his mortality, sort of the way a teenager is, knowing that death is a thing, but one so distant that it seems inconceivable.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

what i had read is he really didn't care what happened to his estate and all after his death - he was going to HEAVEN and former earthly life was going to be completely irrelevant at that point.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:51 pm As eccentric as he was, he may not have truly considered his mortality, sort of the way a teenager is, knowing that death is a thing, but one so distant that it seems inconceivable.
This.
Or maybe it was on his "to-do" list and he planned to get around to it sometime next year.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its never too early to plan ahead.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It’s stressful and forces you to confront family dysfunction. Some people will not care — saying, let them fight over it, I’ll be dead so it’s their problem.

Other times people can’t — or won’t — make a decision because they’re not ready yet or fear being ready to die invites the grim reaper. Or won’t admit they could die — I had one person insist they would one day “go to rest.” I could not use the words “die” or “death.”

And I think some people invite the chaos because the bonfire memorializes that their life (and money) mattered.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Everytime I see this thread in the forum list I think "He died again?"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:52 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:46 am
He had bad lawyers.
More likely a bad client. I read that there was no will at all. I can't imagine that he didn't get frequent reminders this was a bad idea.
It's kind of on his team (lawyers, accountants) to convince him. Surely they advised him on contract and tax matters.

"Bad lawyers" may have been unfair but certainly not great ones. Although I'm sure they're getting paid well to sort the mess out.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya between a quirky client and lawyers who know what they can make on this after Prince died I doubt they pushed hard to get him to do more.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

At the end of the day, it’s the client’s decision. The advisors likely have many letters giving advice. Some people just don’t listen.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Surely they could have convinced him to set up some kind of Hunger Games scenario for family or benefit a charity. Maybe a favorite pet? I'm sure he could have had some fun with it.

MYT
Zarathud

RIP Prince

Post by Zarathud »

It’s against public policy to announce a “murder survivor takes it all” cage match. Or someone would have done it already.

Pets can inherit depending on the state, with maximum limits. Didn’t ask our Minneapolis office about their state’s stance on pet trusts.