[Film] Jumanji Reboot

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Film] Jumanji Reboot

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Rock
It's official. We'll produce and deliver to a whole new generation a title that I love and is one of my all time favs:

There's games you play for fun...
then there's games that change your life.
JUMANJI

Working on edging up an already very good script with my @sevenbucksprod team. Up next is meeting with our producer Matt Tolmach and director Jake Kasdan. Shooting starts this fall.

Promise to deliver something cool and special.. and not screw the whole damn thing up;). As always I'll keep you posted. Casting this should be fun!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Re: [Film] Jumanji Reboot

Post by LordMortis »

Starring Melissa McCarthy as the Rock as Robin Williams as a 40 year old woman who believes she a 10 year old boy and must face the reality gender and age identification discrimination at the Reagle Beale bathrooms, wherein she falls down a lot and gross things keep happening, directed by Paul Feig?

YK will be ecstatic!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

This one doesn't bother me at all. I think I saw the original movie one time, and even then I wasn't particularly impressed with it. I'm fine with remakes ruining other people's childhoods, just don't touch mine. :D
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

YellowKing wrote:This one doesn't bother me at all. I think I saw the original movie one time, and even then I wasn't particularly impressed with it. I'm fine with remakes ruining other people's childhoods, just don't touch mine. :D
This one has me scratching my head, not in outrage, but just...why bother?
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

YellowKing wrote:This one doesn't bother me at all. I think I saw the original movie one time, and even then I wasn't particularly impressed with it. I'm fine with remakes ruining other people's childhoods, just don't touch mine. :D
My daughters just watched that last weekend. It doesn't need to be remade.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I suspect that statistically, remakes have less risk than original ideas, which is why we are seeing more of them. There is probably a reliable percentage of those who saw the original willing to go see the remake, so it gets remade. The original or the remake need not be blockbusters; the object is to make a profitable film. If the break-even point of a movie is $20m and a remake guarantees $10m from a built-in audience, then marketing need only concern themselves with raising another $10m, not the entire $20m.

A few days ago, I saw the recent Vacation movie. Not really a remake, although the general plot was the same. This time is was son Rusty, grown with his own family, taking a drive cross-country to Wally World. It was in many ways similar, but different in a very funny way (made funnier if you're familiar with the original). It was well cast and I really enjoyed it. No idea if it was successful, though.
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

GreenGoo wrote:This one has me scratching my head, not in outrage, but just...why bother?
There is a certain logic in (theoretically) remaking second-rate movies into something better. It's certainly more sensible than the typcal trend of rehashing movie classics as pure pablum (e.g. Psycho).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:This one has me scratching my head, not in outrage, but just...why bother?
There is a certain logic in (theoretically) remaking second-rate movies into something better. It's certainly more sensible than the typcal trend of rehashing movie classics as pure pablum (e.g. Psycho).
...even if only to take advantage of better technology. I saw 15 minutes of Jumanji a couple of years ago and was struck by how poorly the CGI had aged.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

They should redo it, except sub that nonsense Jumanji game with Pandemic, or Arkham Horror, or Chaos in the Old World.

Rated R/NC17/unrated.

Cthonic rhinos infected with red cubes, tearing up the mayor's mansion. Think about that. :)
There is no hug button. Sad!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daily Mail
The first cast snap from the reboot of Jumanji caused consternation when star Dwayne, The Rock, Johnson posted it last September.
But there were howls of sexism about co-star Karen Gillan's skimpy outfit - a crop top that showed off her tummy, tiny green cargo shorts that showed off her legs and sizzling leather boots.

Now the 29-year-old redhead has spoken out about what appears to be the totally inappropriate jungle get up for her character Ruby Roundhouse in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, published Friday.

'There’s a really valid reason why she’s wearing that,' Karen insisted, adding, 'my character is really not happy about it.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

GreenGoo wrote: This one has me scratching my head, not in outrage, but just...why bother?
Exactly. The first one was simply an excuse to use CGI. The story sucked.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It was already sort of remade as Zathura. Instead of a jungle theme, it's a space theme. But same kind of shit happens. They play a game, read cards that pop out and then things happen.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rumpy wrote:It was already sort of remade as Zathura. Instead of a jungle theme, it's a space theme. But same kind of shit happens. They play a game, read cards that pop out and then things happen.
You're not being forceful enough.

It was the same exact movie. So there has already been a Jumanji reboot, and it was minusculey better than the original. Which is to say, not great.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, beat for beat, it was identical. And apparently there's a reason for that, as they're both based on novels by the same author.

From IMDB:
Both Jumanji and Zathura are based on novels by Chris Van Allsburg; in the book version of Zathura, the Zathura board game is found inside Jumanji, but an astronaut living inside Zathura claims to have created Jumanji.

Zathura director Jon Favreau discouraged the notion that the film is a sequel to the earlier film Jumanji, having not particularly liked that film. Both he and Chris Van Allsburg stated that Zathura is very different from Jumanji. No characters from Jumanji appear in Zathura.

However, reviewers disagreed, saying the films were very similar, one dismissing Zathura as "Jumanji in space without Robin Williams."
That said, they retread a lot of the same ground, and not very apologetically so. I think that the Night at the Museum movies are a much better take on a similar concept of things coming alive.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

The Rock has done well with his previous PG movies, like "Journey 2" and "Race to Witch Mountain". No Oscar contenders there, just some lighthearted stuff that's fun to watch. Not something that I'd pay to see in theaters but definitely rent it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have no problem with Johnson in this role. Which is not to say that he won me over with Tooth Fairy, but I mostly enjoy his performances. I don't think anyone is going to claim he's a great actor, but he clearly has fun.

Also he gave Vin Diesel the business for being a p***y on set, which is hard to fault.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Wife and I saw this, this past Friday (Thanks Amazon!).
We both thought it was a LOT of fun.. Many funny moments.. Story wise, I think I liked the original a little more, but this one was still really good.
All 4 actors did a great job and there was a quick call back to the original..
This was also different since the original took place in the real world, while this takes place in Jumanji..
Not sure if this is a spoiler or not...
Spoiler:
I was disappointed that all the crazy beasts that were talked about/shown in the original were not there.
We definitely felt that it was a really fun movie... also regarding stingers..
Spoiler:
first part of credits had some map animations and they only stinger was the games drums beating at the end, no extra video.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:12 pm It was already sort of remade as Zathura. Instead of a jungle theme, it's a space theme. But same kind of shit happens. They play a game, read cards that pop out and then things happen.
I loved that movie. All these years I thought that was Jumanji 2.

I like the actors that are in this movie. this would be a rent for me though. I only see maybe 2 movies a year and they are usually AAA ones not a simple A or B like this. Saw Guardians 2 and will see Star Wars 8. I missed Bladerunner 2 so now Ive missed both of them at theaters. Was sick and then out of money after the doctor. The usual.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

As I posted elsewhere, I too saw it Friday night thanks to Amazon Prime.

The movie was trite and predictable...and fun. Watching that cast act was really great and there were some really, really funny parts. If you don't like the cast, don't see the movie. There is no story worth seeing. If you do like them, though, I think it's a fun watch.

Edit: I never saw the Robin Williams one, so have no basis for comparison.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

stessier wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:43 am As I posted elsewhere, I too saw it Friday night thanks to Amazon Prime.
How did you see this movie through Amazon Prime?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

McNutt wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:02 am
stessier wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:43 am As I posted elsewhere, I too saw it Friday night thanks to Amazon Prime.
How did you see this movie through Amazon Prime?
They were selling advanced screening tickets through Amazon Prime. It wasn't streaming, you had to go to the theater.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Got it. I thought it was some sort of giveaway.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:52 am
Rumpy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:12 pm It was already sort of remade as Zathura. Instead of a jungle theme, it's a space theme. But same kind of shit happens. They play a game, read cards that pop out and then things happen.
I loved that movie. All these years I thought that was Jumanji 2.

I like the actors that are in this movie. this would be a rent for me though. I only see maybe 2 movies a year and they are usually AAA ones not a simple A or B like this. Saw Guardians 2 and will see Star Wars 8. I missed Bladerunner 2 so now Ive missed both of them at theaters. Was sick and then out of money after the doctor. The usual.
If you can afford $10/month, MoviePass can help you see more movies cheaper.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

The movie was trite and predictable...and fun. Watching that cast act was really great and there were some really, really funny parts. If you don't like the cast, don't see the movie. There is no story worth seeing. If you do like them, though, I think it's a fun watch.

Edit: I never saw the Robin Williams one, so have no basis for comparison.
In the new movie..
Spoiler:
The scene where they are at the Pilot's house and he shows the sign that says Alan Parrish was here, Allen Parrish was Robin Williams role in the first one.
1st one is definitely worth seeing..
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wife and I saw it at the second-run theater tonight and enjoyed it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I finally got around to seeing this. It was much better than expected. Not so much as a movie but as a delivery system for funny scenes (sort of like family guy).

Everyone does a great job with their stereotyped board game characters. Ruby Roundhouse anyone?

The Rock's comedic timing and delivery is getting better, Kevin Hart does Kevin Hart well, and Jack Black plays a vacuous (only on the surface, she is shown to be an actual human being eventually) teenaged girl trapped in a fat middle aged man's body perfectly. In fact his performance might be the highlight of the movie.

The dynamic between the Rock's character and Hart's is surprisingly deeper than expected and leads to some funny moments.

Roundhouse's dance fighting is predictable but funny anyway.

The whole movie is a throwaway filler movie that is much better than it has any right to be. It's by no means great, but going in with low expectations, it easily outperformed them.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Trailer for the sequel to the sequel is out today.

Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hmm, well...maybe. I didn't expect to like the first one, yet Jack Black and Amy Pond were both hilarious in their role reversals. Maybe this sequel can pull it off again.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My kids are going to be sooo excited. They absolutely loved the last one.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

That looked amusing. Enjoyed the first one (in a mindless fun sort of way), so I'll be in for this too.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:16 pm My kids are going to be sooo excited. They absolutely loved the last one.
Same. Well, one of them. She's gonna go nuts.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Saw the Jack Black intro trailer. Same one just Jack being Jack.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:44 am Hmm, well...maybe. I didn't expect to like the first one, yet Jack Black and Amy Pond were both hilarious in their role reversals. Maybe this sequel can pull it off again.
It's on Starz. Maybe this weekend I can get the kids to watch it.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I tried watching it when it first hit Netflix and turned it off 15-20 min into it. I just found it too hyperactive. Couldn't stand Amy Pond, sorry.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not seen any of them except the space themed movie related to it or clone of it which I loved. Surprising since I also love Robin Williams.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The idea that The Rock is somehow channeling Danny DeVito for this film is...intriguing.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:58 pm The idea that The Rock is somehow channeling Danny DeVito for this film is...intriguing.
And Kevin Hart doing Danny Glover looks amusing too.

Also, you can tell who populates this forum when Karen Gillan is referred to as Amy Pond and not by her real name.
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:30 pm I tried watching it when it first hit Netflix and turned it off 15-20 min into it. I just found it too hyperactive. Couldn't stand Amy Pond, sorry.
The flirting scene was comedy gold. I thought so, anyway.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:18 am
Rumpy wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:30 pm I tried watching it when it first hit Netflix and turned it off 15-20 min into it. I just found it too hyperactive. Couldn't stand Amy Pond, sorry.
The flirting scene was comedy gold. I thought so, anyway.

Yes! One of the film's (many, in my opinion anyway) highlights.
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:16 am Also, you can tell who populates this forum when Karen Gillan is referred to as Amy Pond and not by her real name.
Funny since I was just following the lead. I'm not even a Dr Who fan... :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti