2017-2018 NBA Post Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: 2017-2018 NBA Season

Post by Skinypupy »

I have to admit that this Mitchell kid with the Jazz has me more interested in the NBA than I’ve been in probably 15 years. He’s damn fun to watch.

Oh, and is Westbrook always that douchey?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Rip

Post by Rip »

According to NBA.com, Victor Oladipo is the first player in NBA History (since steals were first officially recorded in 1973-74) to record 28 points, 13 rebounds, 10 assists, and 4 steals in a playoff game.
:ninja:
Rip

Post by Rip »

So I guess everyone has heard about this by now.
Pacers guard Victor Oladipo elevated his game to a new level this season, making his first-career All-Star Game.

Well, after Indiana’s Game 7 loss to the Cavs on Sunday, Oladipo was clearly motivated for more.

Just minutes after the game came to an end, Oladipo’s trainer, David Alexander, received the following text message. Oladipo was already looking to get back to work.
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/04/victor ... a-playoffs

Not to be outdone Dirk was inspired.

:lol:
Rip

Post by Rip »

Rip

Post by Rip »

:lol:
Rip

Post by Rip »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I was pretty astonished that the Celtics just blew out the Cavs in game 1. I thought they'd be competitive, and maybe win the series what with how well Tatum, Brown and Rozier are playing, but 25? Wow.

Dubs - Rockets, game 1 tonight. As a Dubs fan, I wasn't too happy when the Rockets came into Roaracle and won the first game of the season, and won the season series. Both teams appear to be as healthy as they can be, and playing about as well as they can, so this should be good. It's the first time the Dubs haven't had home court since they lost in 7 to the Clippers and fired Mark Jackson.

I think this comes down to how well Houston defends GS. GS has been playing better defense than the Rockets for years, but this year seems a bit different and I wouldn't be too surprised if the Rockets win the series in 6-7 games. I also wouldn't be too surprised if the Dubs were to win in 4-5. It should be interesting whichever way it goes...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I'll take GSW in 6. I think Boston will take out Cleveland in 5, or at most 6.

Cleveland is very vulnerable and should have lost to Indiana. The only real mystery is WTH happened to Toronto?I thought Indiana, Philly, and Toronto were pretty much even and Boston was just a tad better. IMHO a totally healthy Boston(including Hayward) is on par with GSW.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Rip wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:27 pm
That's fantastic. :)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

GSW got at least one win in Houston and will take it in 5 or 6. Then they will crush the Celtics like a grape.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Whoever gets her first will have gotten a steal:
if you think I’m writing this to argue why Becky is qualified to be an NBA head coach … well, you’re mistaken. That part is obvious: One, she was an accomplished player — with an elite point guard’s mind for the game. And two, she has been a successful assistant for arguably the greatest coach in the game....

...It’s this idea that, at the absolute highest level of basketball, a woman isn’t capable of coaching men. “Yeah, female coaches are fine coaching women’s college basketball, or the WNBA,” the argument goes. “But the NBA? The NBA is different.”

First, I’ve just gotta tell you: If you’re making that argument to anyone who’s actually played any high-level basketball, you’re going to seem really ignorant. But I also have a simple response to it — which is that I’ve been in the NBA for 17 years. I’ve won two championships … I’ve played with some of the best players of this generation … and I’ve played under two of the sharpest minds in the history of sports, in Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich. And I’m telling you: Becky Hammon can coach. I’m not saying she can coach pretty well. I’m not saying she can coach enough to get by. I’m not saying she can coach almost at the level of the NBA’s male coaches. I’m saying: Becky Hammon can coach NBA basketball. Period.
Go Becky!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

OK, one game in, we need to look at what happened, and what is likely to happen.

East - LeBron had a bad game and the Celtics played great. However, this was in the Garden, and young players/role-players tend to play well at home, and disappear on the road in Playoff Games. We've already seen this from the Celtics in their previous series (undefeated at home, 1-4 on the road). I think LeBron and the Cavs can get at least 2 games in this series, and possibly still win it, though I'm definitely leaning towards the Celtics, but LeBron could easily go off in Game 7 and single-handedly win it.

West - based on last night, the Rockets are in serious trouble. Their role players did nothing, and the Warriors forced them into a game they can't win. They also won without Curry playing well. Part of this can be contributed to Ariza's foul trouble (they need him to score 20-25 in order to win, IMHO and after picking up his 5th foul early in the 3rd, they were pretty much done), but the Dubs will destroy them if they are just Harden and Paul.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:55 pm OK, one game in, we need to look at what happened, and what is likely to happen.

East - LeBron had a bad game and the Celtics played great. However, this was in the Garden, and young players/role-players tend to play well at home, and disappear on the road in Playoff Games. We've already seen this from the Celtics in their previous series (undefeated at home, 1-4 on the road). I think LeBron and the Cavs can get at least 2 games in this series, and possibly still win it, though I'm definitely leaning towards the Celtics, but LeBron could easily go off in Game 7 and single-handedly win it.

West - based on last night, the Rockets are in serious trouble. Their role players did nothing, and the Warriors forced them into a game they can't win. They also won without Curry playing well. Part of this can be contributed to Ariza's foul trouble (they need him to score 20-25 in order to win, IMHO and after picking up his 5th foul early in the 3rd, they were pretty much done), but the Dubs will destroy them if they are just Harden and Paul.
I'm not much of a basketball fan, although keeping an eye on the playoffs. I'm assuming that LeBron is going to come back in terminator mode for game 2. If the Celtics win game 2 handily as well, that's when I'll start believing in their Finals chances (while still assuming that GSW would sweep them in the finals).
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think it's pretty clear that the GS/HOU game is for the championship. I was hoping for a better showing from Houston, but as the announcers were pointing out throughout the game, Houston's offense mainly relies on one-on-one ball while GS is great at passing it around for the best shot. Harden is a beast, but it's always easier to guard a team (especially with the time to prepare that the playoffs allow) whose offense is focused on one or two players.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:45 pm I think it's pretty clear that the GS/HOU game is for the championship. I was hoping for a better showing from Houston, but as the announcers were pointing out throughout the game, Houston's offense mainly relies on one-on-one ball while GS is great at passing it around for the best shot. Harden is a beast, but it's always easier to guard a team (especially with the time to prepare that the playoffs allow) whose offense is focused on one or two players.
While I don't think Cleveland could beat either the Rockets or Warriors, the Celtics will be a tough matchup. Horford, Brown, Tatum, and Rozier are playing great, and they have the depth, length and athleticism to defend both Western Conference Teams. If they had home court (which they wouldn't), I'd be tempted to pick them.

Rip

Post by Rip »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 5:06 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:45 pm I think it's pretty clear that the GS/HOU game is for the championship. I was hoping for a better showing from Houston, but as the announcers were pointing out throughout the game, Houston's offense mainly relies on one-on-one ball while GS is great at passing it around for the best shot. Harden is a beast, but it's always easier to guard a team (especially with the time to prepare that the playoffs allow) whose offense is focused on one or two players.
While I don't think Cleveland could beat either the Rockets or Warriors, the Celtics will be a tough matchup. Horford, Brown, Tatum, and Rozier are playing great, and they have the depth, length and athleticism to defend both Western Conference Teams. If they had home court (which they wouldn't), I'd be tempted to pick them.
This is my opinion as well. I think Boston will surprise some people just like Indiana did. I still think they will come up just short this year, but next they will be scary.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think the Celtics might be able to give Houston a run due to their defense (although I definitely wouldn't favor them), but I don't think they would even make it a close series with GS.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

From the ESPN writeup of WCF game 1:
What you saw from D'Antoni's Rockets on Monday night was isolation basketball taken to another level. According to Second Spectrum, Houston had 45 isolation plays in Game 1. That is the most by any team in any game -- regular season or playoffs -- over the past five seasons and more than double what they averaged in the regular season (22, first in the NBA).

Harden accounted for 26 of the isolation plays, nearly nine more than he averaged in the regular season.

Some of that, of course, is the Golden State defense, which has a way of forcing teams into giving in to their worst tendencies. The Rockets are so talented in the one-on-one game that it's easy for them to rely on it when the offense breaks down amid endless switching, as the Warriors did in Game 1.
It's going to be tough for the Rockets, but they may be able to do it. I doubt it however, and I'm thinking we may see the same thing in Game 2.

Rip

Post by Rip »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sweet, GSW opened up 40 point can of whupass on the Rocketts.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Well, the Celtics stank it up on the road again - that series looks like it's going 7.

As to the West, well, the Rockets did much better in Game 2, but reverted to old habits in Game 3. While I expect them to play better in game 4, I don't think it will be enough and it will be 3-1 going back to Houston and it's looking like Dubs in 5/6, as I can easily see the Dubs gearing up for the closeout, even on the road, in game 5.

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Unfortunate to have Paul go down. It's surprising to see such amazing defense being played in the 2018 NBA. It's even affecting the wide open shots. They must be hearing footsteps all the time.

I'm hoping the Rockets can have one of their crazy shooting nights in one of the next two, but skeptical.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Real bad luck for the Rockets to have Paul go down. Hopefully he can make it back for game 6 or 7, but hamstrings often take a few weeks to heal. I would love to see the Rockets in the finals, but fear that without Paul they're going to have a tough time the next two games.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I cannot believe LeBron is taking this Cavs team to the finals. Unreal.

Bummed my Celtics got eliminated last night, but how good is that team going to be next year, with Kyrie and Hayward back? Tatum is for real, and with Brown, Rozier and Smart, that’s a hell of a roster.

On to the finals. No question, I’m pulling for LeBron now to some how figure out a way to stop Golden State (cause I don’t see the Rockets doing it). I can’t really see how anyone stops Golden State, but I also couldn’t see this Cavs team in the finals, either, so who knows. Should be fun to watch. :pop:
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Lebron is playing out of his mind, but I would be shocked if the Cavs can win more than one game against GS. If Houston manages to win and Paul is hobbled (or not playing), I could see that being a series, although I would still bet against the Cavs. A lot may depend on when Love can make it back, though.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I'm curious what you guys think of this..

Scott Foster is reffing tonight. Over the last two years, the Rockets are 0-5 when he refs and 17-5 when he doesn't. In addition, according to the LA Times, the players think he's the worst official in the league by a mile. (24 votes. Closest is 14)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Well the refs are certainly jobbing Houston so far; not sure if it’s one ref in particular though. But Houston is doing themselves no favors by jacking and missing every shot they take in the 3rd.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Not gonna win many games shooting 7-44 (16%) from 3. That's just flat out awful.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Live by the three...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

What they can't take into account in those statistics, however, is the pressure that Houston was clearly playing with once GS made a run. You could clearly see that once a few threes started missing, they began to panic.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/06/01/s ... at-game-3/

Foster is the official who received 134 phone calls from disgraced referee Tim Donaghy between October 2006 and April 2007, as originally reported by FOX News. That was the same period during which Donaghy admitted to betting on NBA games. The report said that Donaghy called Foster more than any other ref and that he didn’t call any other official more than 13 times.
I wonder if Ariza was on the take.
Black Lives Matter

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:46 pm http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/06/01/s ... at-game-3/

Foster is the official who received 134 phone calls from disgraced referee Tim Donaghy between October 2006 and April 2007, as originally reported by FOX News. That was the same period during which Donaghy admitted to betting on NBA games. The report said that Donaghy called Foster more than any other ref and that he didn’t call any other official more than 13 times.
Did he take out Igoudala or Paul? Those were the biggest factors in the series outcome (dubs in 5 if Igoudala's healthy, CP3 or not, Rockets in 6/7 if Igoudala's out and Paul isn't).

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:50 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:46 pm http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/06/01/s ... at-game-3/

Did he take out Igoudala or Paul? Those were the biggest factors in the series outcome (dubs in 5 if Igoudala's healthy, CP3 or not, Rockets in 6/7 if Igoudala's out and Paul isn't).
Not so much worried about the series. It's clear the Warrior are the better team even if the Rockets had a chance.

I just wonder whether I should treat it more like WWE or legit sports.
Black Lives Matter

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LOL JR Smith
Hodor.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

He’s an idiot. But Cleveland got screwed on that reversed call the play or two before. Yes, it was likely a block and not a charge, but the refs had no business reviewing the call; Lebron was clearly out of the restricted area, which is, I believe, the only justification for initiating the review in the first place.
Black Lives Matter
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

I'm not a fan of LeBron in the sense that I root for him or the Cavs, nor am I a hater in that no matter what he does he'll 'never be as good as Jordan/dominant as 'Player X'/as good as 'Player X' etc. but dang, that is one bad man. He is almost literally (almost) all that CLE has going for them, and he can still get 51. After the playoff run CLE has endured, and at age 33...He may or may not be the GOAT but he is incredible. Shame he did the whole 'taking my talents to South Beach' thing. :doh:
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:10 am He’s an idiot. But Cleveland got screwed on that reversed call the play or two before. Yes, it was likely a block and not a charge, but the refs had no business reviewing the call; Lebron was clearly out of the restricted area, which is, I believe, the only justification for initiating the review in the first place.
They were talking about it on SC this morning and there is a rule in place to allow them to review calls like that. Shrug.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Remus West wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:03 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:10 am He’s an idiot. But Cleveland got screwed on that reversed call the play or two before. Yes, it was likely a block and not a charge, but the refs had no business reviewing the call; Lebron was clearly out of the restricted area, which is, I believe, the only justification for initiating the review in the first place.
They were talking about it on SC this morning and there is a rule in place to allow them to review calls like that. Shrug.
See Rule #12 here. I'm guessing they thought there was some doubt as to whether he was in the restricted area and used that to justify reviewing it.

I'd rather the refs get the call right there, personally.
Hodor.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Yes, that is what they are saying for why they reviewed the call. But Lebron was nowhere near the restricted area. Seems like the refs just used that as an excuse to review the play. I would rather the refs not use replay to overturn fouls because that just opens up a can of worms.
Black Lives Matter