2017-2018 NBA Post Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rshetts2

Re: 2016 NBA Draft Season

Post by rshetts2 »

Rip wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:Whether Wade is a good fit for the Bulls is an entirely different question. The point was that Wade is not some cast off has been.

You are right about the Bulls franchise though, they are kind of a hot mess right now. I cant wait for their fans collective heads to explode when it becomes evident, halfway through the season, that Rose is having a career year with the Knicks. :twisted:
I was right with you until the Rose having a career year part. The Knicks are set for being as much a hot mess as the Bulls. I actually laughed out loud when I saw the NY Post claim they were contenders and would compete with CLE for best in the east.

I'd hate to be the trainer on that team.
Yeah, the comment about Rose was absolutely meant as a joke. Im guessing the over/under for his first injury is somewhere around week 3 of the season.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Don't know if this is the proper thread or not or if this is old news but local radio station is reporting Tim Duncan is announcing his retirement today.

Saw it on Facebook, no link yet.

link
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This is the right thread. Duncan was ineffectual in the playoffs, so not a huge surprise.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
geezer

Post by geezer »

Jaymann wrote:This is the right thread. Duncan was ineffectual in the playoffs, so not a huge surprise.
He had trouble matching with OKC, true, but he had a pretty damn good season overall defensively. Terribly sad to see him go, but wow - the last 19 years of being a Spurs fan have been incredible, and the last finals victory against Miami was absolutely perfect. It was always a pleasure to cheer for a team and a guy who embodies everything I wish every professional athlete was.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

geezer wrote:
Jaymann wrote:This is the right thread. Duncan was ineffectual in the playoffs, so not a huge surprise.
He had trouble matching with OKC, true, but he had a pretty damn good season overall defensively. Terribly sad to see him go, but wow - the last 19 years of being a Spurs fan have been incredible, and the last finals victory against Miami was absolutely perfect. It was always a pleasure to cheer for a team and a guy who embodies everything I wish every professional athlete was.
Not a Spurs fan but they are a franchise that did it the right way and Duncan embodied all of those principles. 19 years a a big man in the NBA is a hell of a grind. I have nothing but respect for Tim. Congrats on your retirement!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Rip

Post by Rip »

He will always be one of my favorites. I was a big David Robinson fan and the way the two of them handled transitioning was inspiring. He set a new standard in being a team player.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Excellent player. Excellent person from all accounts. Really embodies what i wish most pro athletes were, kind, egoless and team player.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Paul George Drops 40, Hammers 360° Dunk at Seattle Pro-Am

Man he is entertaining to watch.

Going to break my heart if he ever leaves the Pacers.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Man, the 76ers are one cursed franchise:
Philadelphia 76ers rookie forward Ben Simmons exited the team's practice Friday after suffering a fracture in his foot. It is unclear when he will be able to return.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah, and it's the dreaded Jones fracture. It's the same thing KD had, Sammy Watkins has, and others. 8 weeks is an unwise estimate for him coming back.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rip

Post by Rip »

Pacers win first 2 games of the preseason.

Scoring 113 in the first game and putting 115 on the Bulls last night, looking good and actually playing at a GS like pace. Should be an entertaining season.

Also Thad Young can still ball as can big Al Jefferson.
Jeff V

Re: 2016 NBA Pre-Season

Post by Jeff V »

The Bulls are making a run at the top draft pick this year, so I'm sure the Pacers are proud of themselves for beating one of the season's doormats.
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Jeff V wrote:The Bulls are making a run at the top draft pick this year, so I'm sure the Pacers are proud of themselves for beating one of the season's doormats.
I don't think they care that much about beating anyone at this point. Still pre-season. Tis the time to try things and personnel out. In fact the Bulls beat them tonight. Of course PG13 didn't play nor did CJ Miles. Myles turner finally seeing a little action after a concussion scare.

It looks like they are serious about this faster pace thing though, they have really been moving quickly up and down the court.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Can't find a 2016 season thread?
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lorini wrote:Can't find a 2016 season thread?
It started already? :?
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Re: 2016-2017 NBA Season

Post by Jaymann »

It's on.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Nuggets home opener, Mutombo jersey retirement

No No No

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
geezer

Post by geezer »

How many times can Kawhi Leonard get dramatically better in an offseason? I mean, it's ridiculous.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

geezer wrote:How many times can Kawhi Leonard get dramatically better in an offseason? I mean, it's ridiculous.
Yeah, he's a beast
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
geezer

Post by geezer »

A nice anecdote from a USA Today article - these things are why the Spurs are so good, and why their continuity is so important. It's not just about the talent of the players, but about the knowledge and the willingness to understand and accept that even a potential MVP has holes that can and should be addressed.
Leonard, who came to San Antonio via a draft night trade with Indiana in 2011 after being selected 15th out of San Diego State, shared a story about the recently-retired Tim Duncan before darting off into that night. Before Duncan said goodbye in mid-July, he told Leonard that he needed to learn how to get to the free throw line on a more consistent basis. Defenders were constantly hanging on him, but he hadn’t quite figured out to encourage the contact in the kind of way that leads to easy points. Sure enough, Leonard has more than doubled his trips to the charity stripe thus far (10 per game after averaging a career-high 4.6 last season).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Take the fall! Act hurt! Get indignant!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Is it too late to get George Hill back?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Woot, Lakers beat Hawks!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Jaymann wrote:Woot, Lakers beat Hawks!
Despite their 2-3 record, i think the lakers have looked good and should be in the mix to nab a playoff spot..Wahat....woo! Did i just say playoffs...yessirree bob, i did. Couple of reasons

1- They are playing tough and grinding out games. They ooze a lot of extra effort on plays. One play you saw multiple players dive for a ball. There's a lot of effort like that going on. They are playing their tails off. Walton has absolutely changed the culture there.

I think they have a couple of pretty good players in russell, clarkson and randle to build off of. Throw in Nance, lou williams and yes...mozgov...you have the foundations for a credible team.

Lots of little things tooo... Nick Young...seems to have woken up from his slumber. Not saying he's the end all be all, but he can be a damn good shooter...also I think the Russell-Young beef has been buried. When Young clinched the game last night and was totally in celebratory mood, russell and him exchanged high fives and such. Didn't appear to be any animosity. Young is also playing defense.

-I think Mozgov was a smart move by the lakers. He really seems like a damn good center. Not the best, but what he does adds a lot to the team. Good pick up for 16M a season.

I like where the lakers are positioned going forward, should be a fun season. The last 4 disastrous years is now in the rearview mirror and we can start looking to good stuff comign in the future.

Other NBA notes
- Embiid is pretty damn good. He's gonna be a good NBA center

-as does Westbrook goes, so does the thunder. If he goes down with injuries they will decline. I still think they will get into the playoffs, but am betting a 5-8 range.
Bayraktar!!!!

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Xmann wrote:Nuggets home opener, Mutombo jersey retirement

No No No
Mutombo was an awesome center...loved watching him protect the paint.
Bayraktar!!!!

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Newcastle wrote:
Xmann wrote:Nuggets home opener, Mutombo jersey retirement

No No No
Mutombo was an awesome center...loved watching him protect the paint.
As well as that classic celebration when they beat the sonics.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

WOW! Lakers play possibly their best half in 3 years and lead the Warriors 65-49 at the half. They may not even win this game, but shows how good they can be.

Sweet, Lakers win by 20 points!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Lakers keep rolling over the Suns. There's no way they could possibly turn things around this fast, is there? I may have underestimated the Kobe suppression factor. I hated Luke "Brick" Walton as a player, love him as a coach.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Jaymann wrote:The Lakers keep rolling over the Suns. There's no way they could possibly turn things around this fast, is there? I may have underestimated the Kobe suppression factor. I hated Luke "Brick" Walton as a player, love him as a coach.
I think so. They are playing with high energy which I love. All those little things: contesting shots, grabbing rebounds, multiple players getting assists. I really wouldn't be surprised if they make the playoffs if they keep playing at this level.

Yeah, it's been surprising but fun to watch. Randle, Clarkson, D'angelo...can all get you 20 points; add in lou williams and the Lazarus Nick Young. Will be an interesting team to watch.
Bayraktar!!!!

Rip

Post by Rip »

:clap:
geezer

Post by geezer »

geezer

Post by geezer »

So remember when the Spurs sent George Hill to Indiana for the rights to Kawhi Leonard? The Spurs also got another fairly inconsequential pick in that trade - Indiana's second rounder that same year. Well, tonight that pick, Davis Bertans, went off for 21 points on 6 shots. The Spurs front office is just uncanny.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So the Bulls are imploding now, with Wade saying he's going to take his option and flee after this season after he blasted teammates for giving up a huge lead. I didn't see the game, but a trusted radio talking head said during the final minutes of that game, Wade was trailing far behind in transition, leaving players nobody to dish the ball off to. In other words, he was part of the problem (despite scoring 33 points in the loss).
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So who is worse, Wade or Derrick Rose?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

We had to put up with Rose a lot longer, so I guess he'd still be out in front. Wade cost a ton of money and will probably just keep us out of the lottery. First round playoff dogmeat is probably the worst outcome for an NBA season.
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Draymond Green posted a triple double, while have less than 10 points. No one had ever done that before.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Rip wrote:Draymond Green posted a triple double, while have less than 10 points. No one had ever done that before.

He is the part that makes GS work. He does everything on the court. In baseball he would be a 5-tool player, but because basketball also involves individual matchups and height matchups it's even more amazing/rare.

naednek

Post by naednek »

Don't really want to start a new thread, and since this is NBA related I'll throw it here.

During Ethan's make a wish day (#ethancleansup) back in July 2016, he was invited to go to a Sacramento Kings game. We finally had the chance this last Monday where we watched them play the Chicago Bulls. Sacramento has a brand new arena (Golden1 Center) and it's quite impressive. It's 100% solar powered, any uneaten food gets donated to the local food bank, it has a TSA office inside the arena for when teams have to leave for the next game. It's 800,000 sq ft, more than double than what they had before. Their big screen display is as long as the court, and everything is hi-tech.

Here are some pictures and a video of our experience. We had the chance to take a behind the scenes tour. We saw the camera control room, the social media control room (they have a screen where it gives them a live feed on how much money they made in concessions. I was about 3 feet a way from the owner Vivek.

https://www.facebook.com/KenDean/videos ... 234391867/

Kings Camera Control Room

Kings Social Media Control Room

Kings Entrance to Locker room. Suite owners can sit a VIP bar and watch players leave to the court.

Loading Dock\TV Trailers

TV control room

TV control room

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Awesome stuff.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Very cool, thanks for sharing.