[TV] Electric Dreams: The World of Philip K. Dick

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[TV] Electric Dreams: The World of Philip K. Dick

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
Bryan Cranston has come on-board 10 sci-fi anthology series Electric Dreams: The World of Philip K. Dick for Sony Pictures Television and Channel 4, it was announced today. Ronald D. Moore (Battlestar Galactica, Outlander) and Michael Dinner (Justified, Masters of Sex) are writing with Cranston execu producing as well as appearing in one ep of the series.

Each ep will be a standalone with a writer’s room made up of both British and American writers. The series will celebrate and illustrate Philip K. Dick’s distinctive vision, with a seminal back catalogue of work.
The series was commissioned for Channel 4 by Jay Hunt, Piers Wenger and Simon Maxwell and will be made by Sony Pictures Television. The drama will premiere on Channel 4 in the UK and will be distributed internationally by Sony Pictures Television.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Re: [TV] Electric Dreams: The World of Philip K. Dick

Post by Holman »

A PKD Twilight Zone series with serious and smart names involved? This could actually be great.

Dick's short stories are some of his best stuff.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Holman wrote:A PKD Twilight Zone series with serious and smart names involved? This could actually be great.
Ronald D. Moore not being one of them (at least IMO). He seems about as far removed from the likes of PKD as one could imagine.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Holman wrote:A PKD Twilight Zone series with serious and smart names involved? This could actually be great.
Ronald D. Moore not being one of them (at least IMO). He seems about as far removed from the likes of PKD as one could imagine.
Even if the rebooted Battlestar Galactica wasn't your cup of tea, it's one of the best-regarded sci-fi series in recent years (at least, up to halfway through season 3). So he's a pretty serious guy to have involved.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I loved the rebooted BSG, and no one can say it didn't push the boundaries of SF on television.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

But how do we see it in the states?

Is SyFy picking it up like they do with other international series? The awesome news does me no good unless you bring the show to me in an uber convenient to me package.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sony Pictures Television distributes The Goldbergs, Better Call Saul, The Blacklist, Dr. Ken, and others, and produces even more.
Anonymous Bosch

El Guapo wrote:Even if the rebooted Battlestar Galactica wasn't your cup of tea, it's one of the best-regarded sci-fi series in recent years (at least, up to halfway through season 3). So he's a pretty serious guy to have involved.
Therein lies the rub; even BSG is hardly a ringing endorsement of Moore's writing talents, given how badly it went off the rails, primarily due to shortsighted and inadequate writing. That being said, one would hope that would be less of a factor with an anthology show (though I also recall seeing some of 'Helix', a more recent show Moore was credited with producing, which was an embarrassingly execrable version of 'The Thing').
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

HR
Amazon and Channel 4's upcoming anthology series Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams is rounding out its cast.

Mireille Enos, Greg Kinnear and Steve Buscemi have boarded the sci-fi drama, which consists of 10 stand-alone episodes. Enos and Kinnear will star in "Father Thing," while Buscemi will be in "Crazy Diamond."

The Sony Pictures Television-produced series — which counts Bryan Cranston, Outlander's Ron Moore and Sneaky Pete's Michael Dinner as executive producers — was picked up by the streamer in February.

The trio join previously announced castmembers Cranston, Timothy Spall (Mr. Turner), Jack Reynor (Jungle Book), Benedict Wong (Doctor Strange) and Geraldine Chapline (A Monster Calls).
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Moliere wrote:trailer
My daughter has Amazon Prime so I'm in. Was a huge PKD fan back in the day, but did find some of his work a bit uneven. Hopefully good writers, actors, and high production values will make it work.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Six episodes have aired in the UK. Amazon tells me that they will be getting it next year.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Anyone watch these episodes yet?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I might start tonight at work. If I do I'll report.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Montag

Post by Montag »

I am on the last one. Some are very good. Only didn't like 1.
words
tgb

Post by tgb »

We want to finish Black Mirror first
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Papa Smurph

Post by Papa Smurph »

Between Ron Moore (the BSG ending was as bad as Lost, and that is bottom-of-the-barrel stuff, there) and Bryan Cranston (I like Breaking Bad, but his being a Trumper really lowered my opinion of him and his intelligence), I'm not expecting much here. I'll probably pass as there's is lots of good TV these days, so we don't have to settle for passable as much right now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Papa Smurph wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:04 am Bryan Cranston (I like Breaking Bad, but his being a Trumper really lowered my opinion of him and his intelligence),
I went looking for that, and I'm not seeing it. In fact, I'm seeing reports of him being an outspoken Trump critic.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:52 am
Papa Smurph wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:04 am Bryan Cranston (I like Breaking Bad, but his being a Trumper really lowered my opinion of him and his intelligence),
I went looking for that, and I'm not seeing it. In fact, I'm seeing reports of him being an outspoken Trump critic.
I suspect the fact that Cranston spoke out against those hoping for Trump to fail likely equates to Trumper-heresy for sufficiently narrow-minded ideologues.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I saw that article, but thought it was less 'pro-Trump' than understanding that a complete failure of the President would have long-lasting consequences.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:04 am I saw that article, but thought it was less 'pro-Trump' than understanding that a complete failure of the President would have long-lasting consequences.
Indeed, hence the 'for sufficiently narrow-minded ideologues' descriptor; anyone else would rationally interpret the story as you did, rather than view it as an affirmation of advocacy. But perhaps there's other evidence of Cranston's Trumperism we're apparently both unaware of (though I very much doubt it).
tgb

Post by tgb »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:04 am I saw that article, but thought it was less 'pro-Trump' than understanding that a complete failure of the President would have long-lasting consequences.
That was my take on it.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Montag wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:38 pm I am on the last one. Some are very good. Only didn't like 1.
Watched the first episode last night and enjoyed it. A bit curious which one you didn't like...
-mf
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

After watching episode one I've come to the conclusion from this show and Black Mirror that VR really, really, really sucks.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Montag wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:38 pm I am on the last one. Some are very good. Only didn't like 1.
I'd be willing to bet the one you didn't like was the Buscemi one.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Malificent wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:18 pm
I'd be willing to bet the one you didn't like was the Buscemi one.
That would be my next to last on the ranking. The Safe and Sound one with the female high school student / terrorism is my least favorite.
words