Fun car suggestions

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Fun car suggestions

Post by Kraken »

Faint handwriting is appearing on the wall for my Miata. You might recall that three years ago I spent a foolish amount of money to repair extensive rust around both rear quarter panels. Well, it's coming back. Hasn't broken through the paint yet but there's a rotting spot the size of my palm on one side and the size of a quarter on the other, so it's only a matter of time. Body shop quoted $1,500 to repair and paint this time. That's a lot less than I spent last time, but...$1,500.

My options appear to be (1) spend the money to fix the rust (temporarily) again...(2) let it rot...or (3) sell/trade it before the rust breaks through and becomes obvious.

The car only has 41,000 miles and is mechanically fine, so maybe $1500 to buy another three years isn't a dealbreaker. But it IS 12 years old and the undercarriage is getting pretty rusty, too, so maybe that $1,500 is better spent on a new car. If I can get $8-9k for the Miata (which is realistic) I'm a third of the way toward buying a new one.

I am disinclined to consider used cars since I already have a reliable low-mileage used car that I like, whose only drawback is chronic body rot (and I haven't entirely ruled out repairing that again). Likewise, leasing isn't a good option because I'm someone who keeps a car for as long as possible -- the Miata has been paid off for 8 years and counting, whereas leasing traps you into car payments forever. As little as I drive a new car ought to last me 15 years.

For the past couple of weeks I've been ogling other cars on the road and in parking lots, looking for something I like as well as or better than my Miata. 99.9% of the vehicles I see are breedermobiles, pickup trucks, and daddy cars -- nothing I'd want to drive. I have a few reservations about getting a new Miata. I don't like the styling of the new NE model nearly as much as my NB. They don't make the turbocharged Speed edition anymore so the new one wouldn't have the power and acceleration that I'm used to. And, as I close in on 60 years old, I should appreciate a car that's a little easier to climb in and out of, that has a little more cargo space, and that has better visibility. Something slightly higher and bigger, in other words.

Baseline requirements: Convertible, manual transmission, quick and maneuverable, RWD, sporty appearance (ideally a roadster), decent sound system, decent gas mileage (25+ mpg), priced in the $25-30k range. AFAIK only the Miata meets those criteria. Nice to have: easier to get in/out, a little bigger trunk, possibly a rear seat, maybe sits a little higher for better visibility, possibly AWD so that I don't have to swap the wheels twice a year. Don't care about: unnecessary dashboard gadgets that are hard to use and will be obsolete in a few years -- I will tolerate tech gadgets that don't inflate the price by much, but they aren't a selling point. I might be persuaded to sacrifice the convertible for a T-top or equivalent, but a conventional hardtop would be a hard compromise to accept.

The only two vehicles that tempt me are a Mini Cooper and a Mustang, and the 'stang runs closer to $40k when properly equipped. Probably too rich for my blood. The Mini isn't exactly sporty but is reputed to be fun to drive and it checks most of my boxes.

Am I overlooking anything? It seems like most of the cars that really turn my head are > $60k, and that sure ain't happening -- I don't see a Porshe or a BMW in my future. I might possibly be able to stretch as far as $35k for a Mustang if that doesn't mean settling for a stripped-down version. It's a pity that Honda and Toyota don't have any sports car entries but I know that I'm in a small and shrinking market segment.

I'm not really in a hurry to retire my Miata, but the rust is an unforgiving time bomb. The longer I wait, the worse it gets. I might have a year until it's a serious problem again.
Daehawk

Re: Fun car suggestions

Post by Daehawk »

Ok forget all that stuff below....what about the Miata MX 5 Sport?

If they actually made it which Im not sure on..

TOYOTA GT86 CONVERTIBLE

Enlarge Image

Never mind...says its a Subaru BRZ and no vert. Damn so cool a car.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Apparently that's a Scion FR-S in the US. Not seeing a convertible version, but it's in my price range at least.
geezer

Post by geezer »

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by the new Miata's power and agility, but the new Fiat 124 might tick your boxes. Based on the new Miata, but with a more traditional appearance and a boosted engine that's probably going to be closer to your Mazdaspeed in feel.

Also, have you considered a Jeep Wrangler? Not a sports car, but tons of fun anyway.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

geezer wrote:Also, have you considered a Jeep Wrangler? Not a sports car, but tons of fun anyway.
That's what I was going to suggest.

Edit - Also, would a classic car be out of the question?
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

First of all, I definitely would not go with the Mini Cooper. Car and Driver just finished with their "long term" Mini and the car had major mechanical problems and became a rattletrap after about 15,000 miles. I'm not sure that I've ever seen them come down so hard on one of their long term test autos. In 21 months the car made 11 trips to the dealer for non-routine maintenance, with the parts often being very expensive and time consuming to get. In one 90 day period the car spent 45 days in the shop! (C&D June 2016 issue).

The Mustang would be a nice choice. Even the base V-6 model has 300 hp and nothing makes you feel more like a juvenile delinquent than having a car with a lot of torque, as all the Mustang powertrains do. And with a fully independent suspension and 4 wheel disc brakes, the cars handle vastly better than the Mustangs from just 10 years ago.

Another car to consider is the new 2016 Camaro. Yes, yes, I know, I personally wouldn't be caught dead in a Camaro, but I'm also a big believer in giving credit where credit is due and the 2016 Camaro is knocking everyone dead. It won Motor Trend's "Car of the Year" award this year and has gotten the highest praise from every reviewer. One of its secrets is that it rides on the new chassis designed for the Cadillac ATS and CTS, which are the best handling sedans GM has ever produced. Outward visibility, the car's biggest issue, wouldn't be a factor with a convertible.

On the other hand, if you can do without a convertible, you should definitely check out some of the hot hatches and FWD sedans available right now. The Volkswagen Golf GTI, Ford Fiesta ST, and next years Honda Civic Si and Mazdaspeed 3 are all incredibly nimble and fun to drive and are all in the 200+ hp range and are very practical and easy to live with.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

geezer wrote:I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by the new Miata's power and agility, but the new Fiat 124 might tick your boxes. Based on the new Miata, but with a more traditional appearance and a boosted engine that's probably going to be closer to your Mazdaspeed in feel.
That's a strong contender to shop against a Miata since they're essentially the same price and similar in style. I don't know about owning an Italian car though. Do they have a reliability record yet? I can't see Fiat without thinking "Fix It Again, Tony!" The Miata's just about the most reliable car I've ever owned.
cheeba wrote:
geezer wrote:Also, have you considered a Jeep Wrangler? Not a sports car, but tons of fun anyway.
That's what I was going to suggest.

Edit - Also, would a classic car be out of the question?
Define "classic car." I'm not mechanically inclined so I can't realistically maintain a vintage car, if that's what you mean.

Jeep will appeal much more if we follow our plan to retire to the Berkshires. I don't see it as a city car.

Thanks for all your suggs, Apollo, I'll look at them in the next few days. Right now that Fiat's making me all tingly.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Mustang GT Convertible fits the bill quite well (don't get the v6, whatever you do - it just isn't fun to drive much - at least the old 2000 models, when I bought mine). Think about leasing, as it was a solid car for about 4 years, and then really started going downhill (and someone vandalized the roof and it leaked for the last year or so I had it on the 5 year lease).

alternatively, have you looked a kit cars? My dad used to sell them in the 70's/80's, and I had a replica '29 Mercedes convertible with side curtains on a VW Bug Chassis which was an absolute blast. They also had kits for Ford V8 Chassis, and the pickup on those with a fiberglass body was incredible. Not sure what kind of chassis they are using now, but a comptetior of my dad's did Shelby AC Cobra kit like these:

Enlarge Image

Back in the day, my dad sold completed kits as well as build them yourself...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Pyperkub wrote:Mustang GT Convertible fits the bill quite well (don't get the v6, whatever you do - it just isn't fun to drive much - at least the old 2000 models, when I bought mine). Think about leasing, as it was a solid car for about 4 years, and then really started going downhill (and someone vandalized the roof and it leaked for the last year or so I had it on the 5 year lease).
The V6 Mustangs have come a long way in the last 15 years. The new cars have an independent rear suspension and an overhead cam engine making 300hp rather than the 190hp of the 2000 models like your old car. In addition, you can get all sorts of handling and braking upgrades if you option the car out correctly, whereas the old V6 Mustangs offered no performance upgrades of any sort.

But I have to agree that a V8 Mustang is something special. I've owned 6 Mustangs in the past and 5 of them were V8's. I just love the sound and the way the engine makes the whole car shudder, even at idle. And none of the Mustangs I owned could run with one of the new 435hp Mustang GT's. But a Mustang GT convertible is clearly out of the price range he has suggested, unless he goes with a low mileage, 3yr old car instead of a brand new one...just sayin' :wink:
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Kraken wrote:Define "classic car." I'm not mechanically inclined so I can't realistically maintain a vintage car, if that's what you mean.

Jeep will appeal much more if we follow our plan to retire to the Berkshires. I don't see it as a city car.
From what I understand the Triumph TR6 is a relatively cheap classic car that is easy/inexpensive to maintain. Kind of tiny though, if you're tired of getting in/out of your Miata.
Enlarge Image

As for the Jeep, the Wrangler would do just fine in the city, especially with some decent all-terrain tires on them.
Last edited by cheeba on Wed May 11, 2016 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

My gt convertible was in the 29-30 range as I recall
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Pyperkub wrote:My gt convertible was in the 29-30 range as I recall
They start around $42K these days...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

cheeba wrote:
Kraken wrote:Define "classic car." I'm not mechanically inclined so I can't realistically maintain a vintage car, if that's what you mean.

From what I understand the Triumph TR6 is a relatively cheap classic car that is easy/inexpensive to maintain. Kind of tiny though, if you're tired of getting in/out of your Miata.
Enlarge Image

As for the Jeep, the Wrangler would do just fine in the city, especially with some decent all-terrain tires on them.
Oh, I loved the old Triumphs and MGs and Datsun Zs back in the day, but I'm a change-the-oil-once-a-year kind of guy. Those are hobby cars. I came *this close* to buying an used MGB once. My first car was an Opel GT, btw.
Apollo wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:My gt convertible was in the 29-30 range as I recall
They start around $42K these days...
My second car was a '74 Mustang II, which was the marque's low point but was still a sweet ride in the econobox era; I loved that car before it died of rust. Chicks liked it too...I originally caught Wife's eye because I had a feline companion, wore a leather hat, and drove a Mustang. :lol: I just don't think you get enough Mustang at the entry price that I could maybe just barely afford so it's realistically not on my list. Sadly.

Besides, I'm not really looking for a muscle car, just something quick and nimble and fun (yet reliable and practical!).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

quick and nimble and fun
That gets you a hot young chick..but reliable and practical are not part of that package. :P :ninja:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

How about a V-8 powered Miata http://monstermiata.webs.com/classifieds.htm several nice looking ones to choose from there. Probably the only thing you could do about your aging requirements would be something like a two inch lift and bigger wheels. Maybe you could find one of these Image instead of a trunk.
Stop funding for NPR
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I would at least take a new Miata for a test drive. They are supposedly the nicest driver's car in that price range.

If not, I completely agree with everything Apollo said.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I haven't driven one but the new Beetle convertibles look a lot less un-manly than the ones pre-2014 (they are at least as manly as a Miata anyway). They look pretty nice these days. The R-Line comes in at $29k and has 210HP. It's not a mustang but still a fun car. I think it's between your Miata and a Mustang in most respects. After reading more about it, the one box it doesn't tick on your list is RWD.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

McNutt wrote:I would at least take a new Miata for a test drive. They are supposedly the nicest driver's car in that price range.

If not, I completely agree with everything Apollo said.
Yup, Mazda has owned that niche for decades, and it might very well prove to be my best option (as it was 12 years ago). This thread demonstrates how limited the options are in this market. As I said earlier, I rarely see cars on the road that I like better than mine, and those usually cost 3x as much as mine did.

That said, I'm not 100% against exploring related market segments.

Trade-in value also favors another Miata. About once a year Mazda runs a trade-up promotion that pays you the book value of your car with no questions about its condition. Car salesmen are usually indifferent to the trade-in's condition anyway. While one can ordinarily get a better price from selling privately, IDK if that's true in my case. The car looks great to a casual glance, but critical inspection will show that it's obviously had body work done (red paint never matches exactly), and a carfax report will no doubt reveal the major accident that I had 9 years ago. Not to mention the returning rust...even though the Speed is something of a collector's car, those facts will bother a private buyer more than they bother a dealer. Getting top dollar in trade would be a strong argument for another Miata.

In fact, I'm doing this preliminary research with that trade-in special in mind. That's probably going to be my signal that it's time to buy so I want to have the options narrowed before it comes along.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im a little surprised you'd trade her away. My wife will simply trade if we need to and move on no problem. Me though i still miss my first car. I miss our last car and I didn't even want it and I wanted to trade. Now I miss it and think of it and the rest we've had over the years and the fun times and tough times we had during that car's life with us...and its just a car . Im bad. I miss our 85 TransAm we had all through the 90's because thats the best decade of my life and by the end when we traded the door would not open and I climbed in through the window and the back leaked and the seat rotted. I am totally weird it seems.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Probably about the time you bought your car, a consultant I worked with from Denver has a sudden case of mid-life crisis and on a whip, bought a yellow Honda sports coup that was probably the same class as the Miata. I don't remember the model; I don't see anything similar on their website, but I don't recall ever seeing this particular car on the road and he bought it from a place that specializes in exotic cars so it might have been some kind of special import. And while it sure seemed fun to drive (I rode in it once), he didn't relish driving the thing from Chicago to Denver so he allowed one of his daughter's friends who was going home for break from college to drive it back for him.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Honda S2000
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

McNutt wrote:Honda S2000
That be it. It appears their 10 year production run ended with the 2009 model year. The specs do seem very Miata like in a sub-sports car sort of way.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Edmunds puts the 2016 Miata as tops.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jeff V wrote:Probably about the time you bought your car, a consultant I worked with from Denver has a sudden case of mid-life crisis and on a whip, bought a yellow Honda sports coup that was probably the same class as the Miata. I don't remember the model; I don't see anything similar on their website, but I don't recall ever seeing this particular car on the road and he bought it from a place that specializes in exotic cars so it might have been some kind of special import. And while it sure seemed fun to drive (I rode in it once), he didn't relish driving the thing from Chicago to Denver so he allowed one of his daughter's friends who was going home for break from college to drive it back for him.
Honda S2000 most likely. It was discontinued in the early 2000s and it's the last sports anything with four wheels and a Honda badge in the US anyway.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote:Im a little surprised you'd trade her away.
My other two options are to either keep fixing rust every few years or let it rot. The body shop guy opined that the work only makes sense if I love the car so much that I want to be buried in it -- he's willing to do it, but he doesn't recommend it. I'm still fond of my car, but not that fond.

I would consider patching up the body periodically if I was confident that nothing else would go wrong with it. I'm not. It's still on the original exhaust system, for example.

I understand the sentiment, though. Sometimes I still dream about driving my old Opel.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

coopasonic wrote:
Honda S2000 most likely. It was discontinued in the early 2000s and it's the last sports anything with four wheels and a Honda badge in the US anyway.
It went out of production the same year that I was shopping for my Miata (late '03-early '04). Toyota's MR2 was discontinued the year after that. Both of them were on my shopping list and I couldn't find either one locally...which is probably just as well.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Where is Zaxxon and the keep for three years and get the cheap Tesla argument?

I am disappointed.

I'm not a good a judge. The two new cars I've owned were both the cheapest cars I could get at the time. 98 Mercury Tracer for $13,500 08 Ford Focus for $13,000. I don't think I can do another subcompact, so I'm going full on luxury with Fusion or equivalent for my next car.

I'd actually look at the cheap Tesla, but I'm not putting up $1000 to get in line, they don't have "dealerships" in Michigan, and my house electric is shoddy if I speak politely about it, so that's out.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Kraken wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Im a little surprised you'd trade her away.
My other two options are to either keep fixing rust every few years or let it rot. The body shop guy opined that the work only makes sense if I love the car so much that I want to be buried in it -- he's willing to do it, but he doesn't recommend it. I'm still fond of my car, but not that fond.

I would consider patching up the body periodically if I was confident that nothing else would go wrong with it. I'm not. It's still on the original exhaust system, for example.

I understand the sentiment, though. Sometimes I still dream about driving my old Opel.
Honestly it's hard to go wrong with a Miata. It's got enough handling, enough power and it's a good, good car. I've owned one of every previous generation (NA, NB, NC - no ND yet though) as well as pretty much every other two-seat 'vert on the market over the last 20 years, and I can honestly say that for value nothing beats the Miata, and even when you take pricing out of it, it's STILL hard to find a more rewarding car. Maybe Porsche's Boxster Spyder, but that's a 60K car even four years after it was last sold (and new ones are at 100K). If I'm you I'm deciding between Miata and Jeep, depending on my mood at any given time. ;) I like Cheeba's classic suggestion as well. A nice 911 Targa SC would work...
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Convert your current Miata into one of these and you can get rid of the rusty bits https://www.flyinmiata.com/exocet/
Stop funding for NPR
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

geezer wrote:
Honestly it's hard to go wrong with a Miata. It's got enough handling, enough power and it's a good, good car. I've owned one of every previous generation (NA, NB, NC - no ND yet though) as well as pretty much every other two-seat 'vert on the market over the last 20 years, and I can honestly say that for value nothing beats the Miata, and even when you take pricing out of it, it's STILL hard to find a more rewarding car.
Odds are that that's where I'll end up. That Fiat is intriguing but it's hard to see it's edge over a Miata. Will have to research it (and probably drive it) before I can rule it in or out.

I wish there were more options in my market niche, but there aren't. Miata owns it, and deservedly so.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Look at it this way. At your age what ever car you get you're going to be paying on it the rest of you life. Don't worry about how long but the monthly payments.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Our house will be paid off in seven years. I would like to be completely out of debt by then (age 66). Men in my family traditionally die at 68 so I think I have a realistic shot at it.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Kraken wrote:
geezer wrote:
Honestly it's hard to go wrong with a Miata. It's got enough handling, enough power and it's a good, good car. I've owned one of every previous generation (NA, NB, NC - no ND yet though) as well as pretty much every other two-seat 'vert on the market over the last 20 years, and I can honestly say that for value nothing beats the Miata, and even when you take pricing out of it, it's STILL hard to find a more rewarding car.
Odds are that that's where I'll end up. That Fiat is intriguing but it's hard to see it's edge over a Miata. Will have to research it (and probably drive it) before I can rule it in or out.
I don't know if it got lost in translation but the Fiat is built on the exact same platform as the Miata and they are identical in many/most ways. Mostly you've got aesthetic changes, but the Fiat is 100 lbs heavier and has a turbocharged engine while the Miata (I think) is still sticking with NA. I believe the Fiat engine is the same as the one in the Abarth, so for reliability concerns you could look up how people are rating the engine in that car.
mori

Post by mori »

After living with the bulletproof Miata for all these years, the MINI would be a life full of frustration for you. You probably could get $8-9k for your Miata as I am sure there are plenty of autocross and weekend racing warriors that would love that car even if it did have some body rust issues.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

mori wrote:After living with the bulletproof Miata for all these years, the MINI would be a life full of frustration for you. You probably could get $8-9k for your Miata as I am sure there are plenty of autocross and weekend racing warriors that would love that car even if it did have some body rust issues.
One online calculator said I could expect about that much from a private sale or $7-8k in trade. If the Mazda trade-up deal erases the difference I'd trade, otherwise I'll go through the hassle of selling. I haven't sold a car since the days when one placed an ad in the newspaper and accepted only cash, and most of the cars that I did sell were one step above the scrap heap, so that will be an adventure.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

LordMortis wrote:Where is Zaxxon and the keep for three years and get the cheap Tesla argument?

I am disappointed.

I'm not a good a judge. The two new cars I've owned were both the cheapest cars I could get at the time. 98 Mercury Tracer for $13,500 08 Ford Focus for $13,000. I don't think I can do another subcompact, so I'm going full on luxury with Fusion or equivalent for my next car.

I'd actually look at the cheap Tesla, but I'm not putting up $1000 to get in line,
I hear you. My son will get my car tomorrow (driving off to Houston for a summer job from college so he needed a car). I have a car lined up for the summer but somehow I'm not sure I want to make a 1996 Toyota Tacoma into my every day car while I hold out for a Tesla or a self driving car.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Madmarcus wrote:hold out for a Tesla or a self driving car.
Mmmm... Self Driving car. Barring an accident I would drive my back, shoulder, and neck destroying Focus for another five years for a self driving car... Because I'm sure I'll be able afford one... :ninja:

But the idea of having all of the freedom of mass transit with all of the freedom, privacy, and security of being in a self contained box. That would just be a dream come true. All it needs is for me to be 25 years younger so I can go out and get liquored up to oblivion and have a ride home, back when I didn't car sick, so I could read or play on the computer. Now I'd just listen to music and take a nap. Can I crawl in the back seat and sleep on the commute from Detroit to Chicago and back? Cause that would rock. Suddenly, things like GenCon and Origins are looking pretty sweet.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Can I crawl in the back seat and sleep on the commute from Detroit to Chicago and back?
There's always the train.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:
LordMortis wrote: Can I crawl in the back seat and sleep on the commute from Detroit to Chicago and back?
Did that. It turned out to be slower and more expensive than driving, even accounting for downtown Chicago traffic. And once you are in Chicago, you are at the good graces of ILB to drive you around. (Whic is like having self driving car, I guess)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LordMortis wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
Did that. It turned out to be slower and more expensive than driving, even accounting for downtown Chicago traffic. And once you are in Chicago, you are at the good graces of ILB to drive you around. (Whic is like having self driving car, I guess)
Unfortunately, the ILB Bed & Breakfast is full to capacity these days with small (non-paying) guests.

Plus, the breakfast place at the end of the block (cucumber water!) is gone and replaced with a high-ish end Italian place specializing in the cuisine of the Piedmont region of Italy (my 'hood is getting too big for its britches).
That's my purse! I don't know you!