Here's Why the TSA Is So Terrible

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gilraen

Re: Here's Why the TSA Is So Terrible

Post by gilraen »

The thing is - there may be some very nice and friendly people working for the TSA, and they may be very good in "people-level" emergencies (i.e. carrying a wheelchair-bound person up the stairs). It's just that when it comes to *actual* security-level issues (the stuff that they are supposedly hired for), they are mostly there for show. It's not all their fault, either, as most post-9/11 TSA rules are reactive at best and nonsensical at worst.

We were flying home from Orlando a week ago. By now, we are obviously used to taking off our shoes and jackets in the security line, taking laptops and tablets out of carry-ons and placing them in separate bins for scanning, etc. But in that particular security line, the TSA agent announced that they are using a "new and different machine" for scanning, so they need us to take books, food, cameras, any electronics bigger than a cell phone, out of the bags and place them ALL in separate bins. Uh...what? If you want me to dump most of the contents of my bag onto the security line, why do you even bother with an x-ray scan at that point?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

gilraen wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:52 amIf you want me to dump most of the contents of my bag onto the security line, why do you even bother with an x-ray scan at that point?
Because terrorists won't be happy until we're all flying naked.

I think that when I travel, it may be easier to send my luggage by UPS to the hotel and then ship it back to myself at home. At least then I won't have to show everything off to TSA agents and run the risk of them pawing through my things and deciding to keep something they like, or someone at baggage claim might just walk off with my bag.

I'm still massively baffled by the escalator thing.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

RE: Escalator thing. If they were between escalators and in the dark, it may not have been safe to allow a large number of people up and down. They may have been letting them trickle through, but the overall perception of the majority might be that nothing was moving. They may have also not wanted people walking on the escalator until it could be locked down in case it started moving mid-step.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fox News[(url] *H/T to [url=http://loweringthebar.net/2018/01/assor ... y-110.html]Lowering the Bar)
Taking a semester off from Texas Tech University to help her family recover from Hurricane Harvey, Diana Durkin was thrilled to return to campus for her sophomore year. But ironically, it was her enthusiasm that nearly halted her plans when she was stopped by the TSA before a Jan. 6 flight out of William P. Hobby Airport in Houston.
In a nod to TTU’s mascot, the Masked Rider, Durkin said that Texas Tech fans often salute each other with a finger gun and a “Wreck ‘em” slogan when they see each other — which is exactly what got her flagged by the TSA.
Waiting on line for security, Durkin spotted a man in a Texas Tech hoodie, and reflexively threw up a finger gun, to which he gave an odd look. Moments after, a TSA agent led her out of line to question the gesture.
"'What are you doing? You can't do that in an airport,’” Durkin remembered the agent telling her, reports BuzzFeed. She added that the agent followed up by giving her a full screening and pat down, nearly sending Durkin to tears.
Durkin, however, said the TSA eventually let her off with just a warning, after she assured them she learned her lesson.
Even stupider is the fact that you don't point your 'guns' at anything.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Rule #1: the gun is always loaded
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:10 pm Rule #1: the gun is always loaded
Pew pew.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
malchior

Post by malchior »

I hope they didn't find the gold watch.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That’s not his weapon of choice.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:01 pm That’s not his weapon of choice.

Oddly, that was my first thought too.

No link?

edit: Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCDIYvFmgW8
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Man, he really looks bad in that photo. I hope it's just because he's dealing with TSA. Makes me want to go find "The Dead Zone" in the bookcase.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

He's 75 years old. We're just lucky he's not in a wheel chair or using a walkener.

I hope I look that good at his age. At my funeral.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:40 am He's 75 years old. We're just lucky he's not in a wheel chair or using a walkener.

I hope I look that good at his age. At my funeral.
Captain Kirk is 87! I want to look as good as him at that age. Of course I will need to start saving up for the plastic surgery.
Brian

Post by Brian »

My opthamologist looks like a 60-70ish William Shatner. I remarked on it once to him and he said, "I.......don'tseetheresemblance!"
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

"I.......don'tseetheresemblance!"
walkener
Pretty funny stuff! :mrgreen:
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Pearson airport in Toronto has a new way of doing security that's remarkably efficient. You are in the security line, and there's 5 numbered bins in little holders at the beginning of the rollers. You are called to whatever number is free, so while you are fucking around finding all the shit in your pockets; four others are doing the same.

Combine that with a central xray reading room, the lines move alarmingly fast. Here's an article I found on it with a quick google: https://globalnews.ca/news/3541886/secu ... n-airport/

It works quite well, at least from a speed perspective. Not sure if that's the case from a detection standpoint.
No.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

FishPants wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:54 pm Pearson airport in Toronto has a new way of doing security that's remarkably efficient. You are in the security line, and there's 5 numbered bins in little holders at the beginning of the rollers. You are called to whatever number is free, so while you are fucking around finding all the shit in your pockets; four others are doing the same.

Combine that with a central xray reading room, the lines move alarmingly fast. Here's an article I found on it with a quick google: https://globalnews.ca/news/3541886/secu ... n-airport/

It works quite well, at least from a speed perspective. Not sure if that's the case from a detection standpoint.
If they take that one step further all airports will standardize and make those bins disposable. After that, every time we fly, they can require us to buy one and bring it to the airport with all our crap already emptied into it. I'm sure Rubbermaid can get behind the idea.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ouch.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Apologies and condolences: the next thoughts and prayers.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's really no way to fix it for him. But a BS "we will investigate" would have at least been something.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:44 am There's really no way to fix it for him. But a BS "we will investigate" would have at least been something.
In addition to investigating: promise to review and improve training protocols on the matter, comp him for the flight, offer a voucher for a pair of free first class seats round trip to anywhere.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:50 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:44 am There's really no way to fix it for him. But a BS "we will investigate" would have at least been something.
In addition to investigating: promise to review and improve training protocols on the matter, comp him for the flight, offer a voucher for a pair of free first class seats round trip to anywhere.
And free nail clipper passage for life.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, that's it then. After I die I am not traveling by air.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:18 pm Well, that's it then. After I die I am not traveling by air.
Greyhound it is.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Ashes to ashes,
Dust to dust.
Don't travel by air,
Or your Urn they shall bust.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Mild victim blaming but I never ever put anything I personally value under the plane. A piece of gear I can replace sure. My mother's ashes. No fucking way. That is coming on in a carry on.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

malchior wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:41 pm Mild victim blaming but I never ever put anything I personally value under the plane. A piece of gear I can replace sure. My mother's ashes. No fucking way. That is coming on in a carry on.
But, but it was either the Urn or the Laptop! :ninja: If she was even in an Urn, she might have been in a ziploc freezer bag for all we know. People will store things in poor fashion, and then blame you for their own incompetence. Not saying that's what happened here, but I'd like all the facts before I rush to judgement on this one. :tjg: Did anyone other than him even know what he was transporting? Are there no already established rules for this sort of thing?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

malchior wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:41 pm A piece of gear I can replace sure. My mother's ashes. No fucking way.
Not entirely true. Your dad could remarry.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:09 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:41 pm A piece of gear I can replace sure. My mother's ashes. No fucking way.
Not entirely true. Your dad could remarry.
:clap:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Third Circuit
Fliers may have a tough time recovering damages for invasive screenings at U.S. airport security checkpoints, after a federal appeals court on Wednesday said screeners are immune from claims under a federal law governing assaults, false arrests and other abuses.

In a 2-1 vote, the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia said Transportation Security Administration (TSA) screeners were not "investigative or law enforcement officers," and were therefore shielded from liability under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA).

The majority said it was "sympathetic" to concerns that its decision would leave fliers with "very limited legal redress" for alleged mistreatment by aggressive or overzealous screeners, which adds to the ordinary stresses of air travel.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

em2nought wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:26 pm
FishPants wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:54 pm Pearson airport in Toronto has a new way of doing security that's remarkably efficient. You are in the security line, and there's 5 numbered bins in little holders at the beginning of the rollers. You are called to whatever number is free, so while you are fucking around finding all the shit in your pockets; four others are doing the same.

If they take that one step further all airports will standardize and make those bins disposable. After that, every time we fly, they can require us to buy one and bring it to the airport with all our crap already emptied into it. I'm sure Rubbermaid can get behind the idea.
Do you notice a trent in your responses to this thread?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

em2nought wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:16 pm But, but it was either the Urn or the Laptop! :ninja: If she was even in an Urn, she might have been in a ziploc freezer bag for all we know.

WHOA!

Is that a problem for you!?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like Ziplocks. They are well made.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Unagi wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:22 pm Do you notice a trent in your responses to this thread?
Most stuff I post probably trends toward sounding like a grumpy old man? Plastics promoter? Not sure, what's my trend? :mrgreen: