What are your next major purchases?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lassr

Re: What are your next major purchases?

Post by Lassr »

Kraken wrote:
Lassr wrote:I talked about my daughter getting married in this thread so thought I would share this video of the wedding (5 minutes). The videographer did an excellent job!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s2j1aXHf6U
Needs zombies.
that was gonna cost extra...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

A beautiful bride. I do not even want to know how much this cost you.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I've been slowly dropping money to re-model my game room. I have everything cleared out, and I have bought $600 worth of Ikea shelves so far. I've repainted the walls (to the tune of about $70 for paint. Tomorrow I'm going to go spend $5-600 on vinyl plank flooring and start the install this weekend (I hope.) I just put a downpayment on an Xbox One X for my new room, and after I get all of this stuff put together I'm going to be purchasing a 4K HDR TV. Still need to shop for a small refrigerator for beverages.

My goal is to never have to see my family again.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No money for major stuff. Been paying on my wife's rings for 2 years because I cant get them out. Costing way more than they are worth money wise.

Hope to get the yard mowed once more before winter. Probably wont.

Need some car repairs but stuff keeps coming up.

Im out of food. We have 1 can chili, 1 can soup, crackers..until Tuesday.

Life is not fun any longer. Thats my non major purchases :P
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wife still doesn’t have a tiller, I did get a new receiver, the new oven has been paid off, and I’ve put my second roof on the house in the last thirteen months.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Things that end in "repair" and "car".
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

mori wrote:A beautiful bride. I do not even want to know how much this cost you.
approx $15k. I shivered when I thought about it a few months ago but the wedding turned out near perfect.

I have paid half and the other half will be paid over the next year.

But my next major purchase...sending my son & wife to Barcelona to see Messi play in May as his HS graduation gift.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I bought a car, as you might have read. I should buy it some all-weather tires to get through the winter, but I decided to see how it does with its summer tires. I don't need to drive it in slippery conditions, just dry roads when it's cold out. Hate to replace OEM tires with just 1,000 miles on them or sink any more money into the car.

My PC is going on 8 years old, but somehow replacing it never makes the top of my list. I started building a cyberpower before I decided to get the car instead...that effort lost steam when they didn't have any cases short enough to fit the space where my computers have lived for the past 25 years.

Wife and I have been threatening to replace our phones for the past few months, so maybe that will be in the cards for xmas. I don't really want a new phone, but my S4 doesn't have enough room to install apps anymore. Or store photos, or take videos, or hold any more music. Plus, they're up to the S8 now, and 8 is twice as many as 4.

We're also rumbling about replacing our TV and overhauling all the audio/video stuff we just bought like 8 years ago. We'd like to find out what all this "streaming" business is about. But that's going to be a couple years out, I think, since everything works fine as far as it goes.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Ten or so five gallon gas cans for next time there's a little wind. :wink:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

A new washer and dryer, yay. So... fancy.
-mf
mori

Post by mori »

Lassr wrote:
mori wrote:A beautiful bride. I do not even want to know how much this cost you.
approx $15k. I shivered when I thought about it a few months ago but the wedding turned out near perfect.

But my next major purchase...sending my son & wife to Barcelona to see Messi play in May as his HS graduation gift.
That is about $10k less than I thought.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I'm going to buy tires for The Wrangler next week. Is tirerack.com still the place to go?
mori

Post by mori »

Just received a new bed frame I bought off of Wayfair. It has the look I was going for, but it is not square. It is 1 cm off square so it pisses me off looking at it. Does not look so bad once I put all the bedding on top. I have to go buy some wood for supports for the box spring today. It will also get the box spring off the bed frame as the frame has so many irregularities and protruding fasteners that it would destroy the box spring. Cheap Chinese crap. This will make me think twice about buying something from Wayfair again.

I bought new flannel sheets from Boll & Branch. I always wanted flannel sheets for the cold months but the stuff you get at the department store will start to pile right away so hopefully these sheets will not do that. They look and feel wonderful. Made in Portugal with organically grown cotton. Just have to wait until it gets cold out to use them. Hard to believe I have spent so much money on bedding and other items from Boll & Branch this year. I do not think it is frivolous to spend a lot of money on bedding since we spend so much of our lives in bed.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Z-Corn wrote:I'm going to buy tires for The Wrangler next week. Is tirerack.com still the place to go?
I assume their prices are still the best. Local dealers will often match them if they have the identical or closely comparable tires. I've used tirerack as leverage at our neighborhood Firestone store twice now. And once I had tirerack tires shipped directly to Firestone for installation.

Tirerack's reviews and other info can't be beat, IMO.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Comes today. Got the dryer for $350 due to a scratch.

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

mori wrote:
Lassr wrote:

That is about $10k less than I thought.

We shopped around and did a lot ourselves. We saved about $5k by doing the decorating and coordinating, and going with pizza instead of meat and veggies.

Black Lives Matter
geezer

Post by geezer »

It's car time for us. And maybe an oculus rift. Next spring is (hopefully) major home renovation time.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Paying the lawyer to sue Chicago Public Schools. And paying private school tuition ($71K, but we got a $40K scholarship!) until said suit is resolved (hopefully in our favor). And paying pre-school tuition for the twins (10% off the second student!).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jag

Post by Jag »

ImLawBoy wrote:Paying the lawyer to sue Chicago Public Schools. And paying private school tuition ($71K, but we got a $40K scholarship!) until said suit is resolved (hopefully in our favor). And paying pre-school tuition for the twins (10% off the second student!).
Holy crap @ that tuition.

Next big purchase is probably going to upgrade to an iphone 8 or 8 plus.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jag wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:Paying the lawyer to sue Chicago Public Schools. And paying private school tuition ($71K, but we got a $40K scholarship!) until said suit is resolved (hopefully in our favor). And paying pre-school tuition for the twins (10% off the second student!).
Holy crap @ that tuition.

Next big purchase is probably going to upgrade to an iphone 8 or 8 plus.
Tuition includes funding for a full time aid, which really jacks up the price.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I want a treadmill. Sole F63... $999... I am holding off because our credit card bills have grown unusually large over the past two months. I need to understand where all that money is going before I incur further expenses.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

I'll be taking delivery of a shiny new car tomorrow... trading my 2015 Acura MDX in for a 2018 Audi Q7. After having almost $10k worth of warranty work done in the last 2.5 years, I decided it's time for an upgrade!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

coopasonic wrote:I want a treadmill. Sole F63... $999... I am holding off because our credit card bills have grown unusually large over the past two months. I need to understand where all that money is going before I incur further expenses.
I want a treadmill too...I'll be trolling Craig's List for something much cheaper (or free even). With so many of them never used for anything besides a coat rack, there ought to be plenty that can be had for the cost of removal.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I don't trust how those CL treadmills have been treated. The discounts aren't enough for the risk. It's kind of like buying a used car. I know how I've treated mine...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hentzau wrote:I've been slowly dropping money to re-model my game room. I have everything cleared out, and I have bought $600 worth of Ikea shelves so far. I've repainted the walls (to the tune of about $70 for paint. Tomorrow I'm going to go spend $5-600 on vinyl plank flooring and start the install this weekend (I hope.) I just put a downpayment on an Xbox One X for my new room, and after I get all of this stuff put together I'm going to be purchasing a 4K HDR TV. Still need to shop for a small refrigerator for beverages.

My goal is to never have to see my family again.
Well, the flooring ended up being about $200 more than I was planning to spend. And it's not exactly what I wanted, but it is close enough. Exactly what I wanted would have been about $400 more than I was planning to spend. :(
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I suppose if you're locked onto a late model device, you're not going to save much buying used. In my case though, $1000 would put this at least a year out, and even then only if it's enough of a priority. CL has something for sale near my house for $100 that is described as "great condition" and has all the features I'd need and that price it's possible to have something when (or if) winter comes. My options increase greatly if I search further away (I live in BFE...there are more than 900 for sale in the Chicago area, but only 2 within 10 miles of me!)

If CL is too wild west, perhaps there's a store that specializes in used exercise equipment that can sell you something for less that would still be warrantied? There's a chain here called 2nd Wind that services this niche, they have a bunch of stores but the closest to you I think is Oklahoma. I would think some other company is operating in this niche in Texas?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Play it Again Sports
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

After buying a new car at the end of June, I'm holding off on any big purchases. Fortunately (and somewhat unusually), there's no big budget electronics item that I'm currently lusting for. That said, my TV has been giving me some problems lately, but I'm not at the point yet where I need to look for a replacement.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote:Play it Again Sports
They are here too. I guess because of the focus of their marketing campaigns, I've always considered them to be a place to find such items as used hockey skates, soccer nets, and tennis rackets. But it makes sense they have indoor equipment too.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jeff V wrote:I suppose if you're locked onto a late model device, you're not going to save much buying used. In my case though, $1000 would put this at least a year out, and even then only if it's enough of a priority. CL has something for sale near my house for $100 that is described as "great condition" and has all the features I'd need and that price it's possible to have something when (or if) winter comes. My options increase greatly if I search further away (I live in BFE...there are more than 900 for sale in the Chicago area, but only 2 within 10 miles of me!)

If CL is too wild west, perhaps there's a store that specializes in used exercise equipment that can sell you something for less that would still be warrantied? There's a chain here called 2nd Wind that services this niche, they have a bunch of stores but the closest to you I think is Oklahoma. I would think some other company is operating in this niche in Texas?
There are 3 of the exact model I am interested in listed on the dallas CL. One about 4 miles away with lots of pictures that make it look pretty good, but only 30% discount. I'll wait and see if Black Friday helps.
Jeff V wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Play it Again Sports
They are here too. I guess because of the focus of their marketing campaigns, I've always considered them to be a place to find such items as used hockey skates, soccer nets, and tennis rackets. But it makes sense they have indoor equipment too.
That's where we got our elliptical (I think), also Sole and still working fine and why I have faith in the brand. Unfortunately the closest one closed down.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Not huge but I need a new phone. Now I have to compare stuff obsessively.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Bought the 3x6 Lovesac sactional yesterday, $2800. Today is bedroom furniture ~$2000. We’d also like to replace the tables we are using as desks. They work, given our configurations, but they take up too much space. We saw a powered desk that goes up and down for sitting and standing, but the small version is bigger than i hopped for (60x24) I think. I’d like to get something around 45-48 inches that supports monitor arms, but haven’t done the research to see if it exists.

Oh, and I’d like to replace the gaming desktops at Black Friday. New pc for me, but my wife is saying she just wants a PS4 for her.

Expensive fall. Bought new work and school laptops earlier.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Fitzy wrote: I’d like to get something around 45-48 inches that supports monitor arms, but haven’t done the research to see if it exists.
Uplift is one of two manufacturers the Wirecutter recommends, and I picked one up this spring, They have a 48x30, and they sell good monitor arms as well.

https://www.upliftdesk.com/stand-up-des ... amboo-top/

I've definitely been happy with mine. I went with the 60", though, because 3 monitors and I'm a bit messy.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kraken wrote:We'd like to find out what all this "streaming" business is about. But that's going to be a couple years out, I think, since everything works fine as far as it goes.
do what i do, and plug laptop HDMI into TV.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote:
Kraken wrote:We'd like to find out what all this "streaming" business is about. But that's going to be a couple years out, I think, since everything works fine as far as it goes.
do what i do, and plug laptop HDMI into TV.
I tried that once and got it to play in a teeny tiny window. Plus the TV only has one HDMI port, and it's in use, and it's behind the TV, so switching it over would be inconvenient.

It's low priority anyway; we already have plenty of shows to watch from the cable/dvd. Someday we'll get around to modernizing the TV and I'm sure I'll have to reevaluate all the other components when we do. TV is wicked complicated.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

gbasden wrote:
Fitzy wrote: I’d like to get something around 45-48 inches that supports monitor arms, but haven’t done the research to see if it exists.
Uplift is one of two manufacturers the Wirecutter recommends, and I picked one up this spring, They have a 48x30, and they sell good monitor arms as well.

https://www.upliftdesk.com/stand-up-des ... amboo-top/

I've definitely been happy with mine. I went with the 60", though, because 3 monitors and I'm a bit messy.
Awesome! Thank you. That looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for and considerably less than what we saw in the store.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

I bought a handful of .io domain this past summer on auction (so not that cheap)..... and some crypto currency recently....
So major purchase would be... i am really bad at major purchases planning...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm glad the British Indian Ocean Territory is managing to leverage their resources into a financial benefit.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I think I might grab a Nintendo switch today. I'm frustrated with work so the wife said go buy yourself a present. I figure daughter will play it more but i haven't gotten a console since my ps3 slim. I might grab the ps4 pro instead but with a gaming pc the switch makes more sense + 8 year old daughter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Just got back from a quick vacation where I spent a lot of money. First day back had a leak in the ceiling and paid $620 for a plumber to give the pipes a clean bill of health and say it was probably the HVAC. So the problem is still not fixed and now Ihave to have someone else come in to check, not to mention someone to repair the ceiling when everyone else is done.

Just after the wife convinced me to get seats to a charity event @ $375 each.

Are beans and rice still cheap?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT