What are your next major purchases?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

geezer

Re: What are your next major purchases?

Post by geezer »

LawBeefaroni wrote:So in the last few days...

Dropped $200 on dinner last night with the in-laws (got off cheap, they paid the last three nights).
$6K in property tax (that's just one installment!)
$2K in additional income tax (wife forgot to file her quarterlies)
$200 on range ammo, $120 on new mags, $280 on a safe for it all.
$450 for this week's summer camp.
$130 on diaper inserts.

And now the Low Tire Pressure light on the car keeps coming on. It's just over 1K miles so it should be covered. Unless the tire actually has a problem, in which case no idea how much these newfangled monitored tires cost. Might be under the Michelin warranty, if I can be assed to take it to a Michelin service center. Or I can just pay the inevitable three figure penalty.
You may have a slow leak/nail in the tire. 25 bucks and a patch and you should be good to go if you're not slightly unlucky.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'm debating on splurging on a new 4K HDTV.

My choices are the LG OLED, or the Samsung Quantum Dot.

The reviews all say the OLED has the best picture quality, but the Sammy is not far behind, and it is currently selling at $1300, down from its usual $2000 or so (compared to $2500 for the LG), which is a stupid, stupid deal.

Decisions, decisions.
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

geezer wrote:

Dropped $200 on dinner last night with the in-laws (got off cheap, they paid the last three nights).
$130 on diaper inserts.

And now the Low Tire Pressure light on the car keeps coming on. It's just over 1K miles so it should be covered. Unless the tire actually has a problem, in which case no idea how much these newfangled monitored tires cost. Might be under the Michelin warranty, if I can be assed to take it to a Michelin service center. Or I can just pay the inevitable three figure penalty.
You may have a slow leak/nail in the tire. 25 bucks and a patch and you should be good to go if you're not slightly unlucky.
Or it could be a sensor. Firestone repaired Wife's Fit three times before it was actually repaired. IDK how the sensor works but it's not in the tire. Could be magic.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

I got domains renewal coming up in the range of 25k this year. That's pretty much should do it for major purchases.
stessier

Post by stessier »

pr0ner wrote:I'm debating on splurging on a new 4K HDTV.

The reviews all say the OLED has the best picture quality, but the Sammy is not far behind, and it is currently selling at $1300, down from its usual $2000 or so (compared to $2500 for the LG), which is a stupid, stupid deal.

Decisions, decisions.
I doubt you can go wrong with either, but just wondering if you have considered the Vizio P-series. It has performed extremely well in the reviews I have read.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

A friend of mine keeps mentioning various Vizios, but not the P-series yet. I'll have to take a look.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote:
geezer wrote:

$130 on diaper inserts.

Or it could be a sensor. Firestone repaired Wife's Fit three times before it was actually repaired. IDK how the sensor works but it's not in the tire. Could be magic.
It's not the sensor, it was at 28 PSI when I checked it. I filled it up and it's been good for 2 weeks but I'm still going to take it in. I was under the impression that the TPMS required tire work at a dealer or professional tire place so I can't take it to my corner auto shop for a patch job. Still right around 1,000 miles so unless it's actual road damage I'm not inclined to pay for a new tire.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:It's not the sensor, it was at 28 PSI when I checked it. I filled it up and it's been good for 2 weeks but I'm still going to take it in. I was under the impression that the TPMS required tire work at a dealer or professional tire place so I can't take it to my corner auto shop for a patch job. Still right around 1,000 miles so unless it's actual road damage I'm not inclined to pay for a new tire.
That is not the case for my Focus. I've had patch work and replaced tires through 3rd parties without screwing up TPMS.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

A new oxygen sensor and tires for my car? I love surprise car expenditures so much, said no one.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

pr0ner wrote:I'm debating on splurging on a new 4K HDTV.

Decisions, decisions.
I wound up going with the Samsung, which I bought for $1000. Amazing what happens when you wait.

The LG was a close second, but its current price ($1800) and the fact that the Samsung has better input lag for games means the Samsung won the day.
Hodor.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Ever get in a funk where you don't want OR need anything, anything in the realm of material goods that while it might
make you happy, or bring you some pleasure, you just aren't in the mood for?

It's 11/29/16 and I want nothing and need nothing. Just not in the mood for shopping, purchasing, consuming anything
in the major purchases realm.

2017...I forsee a new white xbox one s-2 tb edition.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

JSHAW wrote:2017...I forsee a new white xbox one s-2 tb edition.
Wait for Xbox Scorpio.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Dunno if it counts as "major", but we just dropped $800 on a new dining room table and chairs, replacing the ones we've had for nearly 20 years. Feels weird.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Still haven't got the electric tiller, but we did drop $1200 on a Whirlpool dual oven range.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I have over 1,000 credits burning a hole in my digital wallet and I'm either going to buy Reinhardt's Blackhardt skin or D.Va's B.Va skin. I'll keep you guys posted.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Just spent $800 on a clapped-out 95 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with sketchy brakes and a questionable alignment.

After winter passes I'm going to spend next spring/summer replacing the brakes, replacing the exhaust, repairing body work, etc. so expect to spend another $800 to $1000 on that.

I guess that counts as a major purchase.

We're also in the process of performing as many home improvements as possible in order to sell the house in two years so that means lots of carpet, drywall, tile, paint, kitchen cabinets, lights, etc in the future.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Toe

Post by Toe »

Still waiting for oled tvs to drop in price. No one seems to want to enter the game, so LG just keeps the price high.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We paid a $3,000 retainer to a special education attorney, so we've got that going for us . . . .
That's my purse! I don't know you!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Toe wrote:Still waiting for oled tvs to drop in price. No one seems to want to enter the game, so LG just keeps the price high.
Some LG engineers dropped by where I work this summer - they said Samsung could do OLED (and they do on their phones), but choose not to for TVs (sticking with Quantum Dot for their high end sets instead).

LG is gonna be it for a while, I think.
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

JSHAW wrote:Ever get in a funk where you don't want OR need anything, anything in the realm of material goods that while it might
make you happy, or bring you some pleasure, you just aren't in the mood for?
That is my default condition. I rarely want anything I don't need. I can live without the things that I do "need" and they're all too expensive anyway.

Except a haircut. I really need a haircut. I could afford that.
tgb

Post by tgb »

tlr's been hinting about a new computer. I don't blame her - she's still getting by on a dual-core running Vista and when I get on it I can't stand how slow it is. Still, she just needs something that can handle Facebook and shopping online, so I can get away with getting her something pretty much low-end.

I, on the other hand, need to upgrade. I was hoping I could get away with just swapping out the CPU and upgrading the video card, but I just got off the phone with my go-to repair shop, and the tech told me the pin configurations have changed in the three years since I bought my current rig, so the motherboard would have to be swapped out as well.

By the time I'm done with all that and labor, I might as well get something new.

I know what you're going to say - I doubt she'd take my old computer while I get a shiny new one.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Financing on the new baby is going to take a $500/month out of the budget for the next 3 years, and that doesn't even include maintenance expense. Any my wife is still expecting we will buy a house next year...
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

tgb wrote:I know what you're going to say - I doubt she'd take my old computer while I get a shiny new one.
If you can do a fresh install of an O/S on your current PC and add some RAM to it, you'd be surprised at the difference it will make - particularly if it's just being used for social media and online shopping.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Smoove_B wrote:
tgb wrote:I know what you're going to say - I doubt she'd take my old computer while I get a shiny new one.
If you can do a fresh install of an O/S on your current PC and add some RAM to it, you'd be surprised at the difference it will make - particularly if it's just being used for social media and online shopping.
Worth a try, thanks.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

geezer wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote: $280 on a safe for it all.
I'm going to need to do that and more, I've been a bit paranoid while away all week.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Isgrimnur wrote:Still haven't got the electric tiller, but we did drop $1200 on a Whirlpool dual oven range.
I borrowed a friends electric tiller to prep for a new lawn and I was very happy, and surprised, with how well it worked. I don't have much need for one but if I did have one I could probably think of things to use it on.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

We just dropped 7K to hardscape our backyard and push back our retaining wall. Spring we hope to finish with the landscape. Kids can finally play outside and leave us alone :)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
PLW

Post by PLW »

naednek wrote:We just dropped 7K to hardscape our backyard and push back our retaining wall. Spring we hope to finish with the landscape. Kids can finally play outside and leave us alone :)
But they won't.
naednek

Post by naednek »

PLW wrote:
naednek wrote:We just dropped 7K to hardscape our backyard and push back our retaining wall. Spring we hope to finish with the landscape. Kids can finally play outside and leave us alone :)
But they won't.
they might if I lock the doors :P
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Sending them to play with the neighbor kids would have been cheaper. :)
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lord willin and the damn don't rise, my next major purchase will be a new car in 2019, where I irresponsibly spend nearly as much my house is worth on a luxury (for me) car, like an Edge or Fusion.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Scuzz wrote:
It's 2016 kids don't play outside in the front yard, ride their bikes across the neighborhood, play football in the streets. Not like I did when I was a kid. I remember riding my bike miles away from home with friends, playing football after school and on weekends.

Now our neighborhoods are ghost towns.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

There are kids all over my 'hood; I can hardly drive faster than 55 in the subdivision.

We don't let our kid play outside alone, because he's 3 and he knows where the parks are. When the neighbor's kid is out though, I'll let him go out and play with him.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

naednek wrote:
Scuzz wrote:
It's 2016 kids don't play outside in the front yard, ride their bikes across the neighborhood, play football in the streets. Not like I did when I was a kid. I remember riding my bike miles away from home with friends, playing football after school and on weekends.

Now our neighborhoods are ghost towns.
We live in a cul de sac. When the local kids were small you could have walked across them to get from one side of the street to the other there were so many out there.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

I got in an accident with my car, completely my fault and I only have liability insurance. I got an estimate and it was $4000. No way I am paying that to fix that car. So the last few weeks I have disassembled the car, started to acquire replacement pieces, then will reassemble and will get it repainted in the spring. The unibody may be tweaked a bit so I may have to take it in and straightened before I reassemble. Going to spend ~$1000 on parts. Surprised that the most expensive pieces are the headlight assembly. It is cheaper to replace both with LED Halo light assemblies than get a single OEM light assembly. Some parts will not show up until next year.

I think I at least rear-ended the right person. We inspected her old mini van and could not see any damage. And as far as I have heard, she has not filed a claim. It has been a month.

Since I have a living room full of car parts, my projects I had planned to remodel have not gone into motion. So no furniture, and no big TV and theatre sound system. I have not even bought furniture for my bedroom yet. But I have bought tools to do the jobs.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

mori wrote:I got in an accident with my car, completely my fault and I only have liability insurance. I got an estimate and it was $4000. No way I am paying that to fix that car. So the last few weeks I have disassembled the car, started to acquire replacement pieces, then will reassemble and will get it repainted in the spring. The unibody may be tweaked a bit so I may have to take it in and straightened before I reassemble. Going to spend ~$1000 on parts. Surprised that the most expensive pieces are the headlight assembly.
I salute your skill, sir!
Many years ago, when I was young and ambitious, I bought a 1960's (?) Oldsmobile Delmont 88 that ran really nice, but it was cheap because it had a crushed front fender.

I went out to a salvage yard and found a good replacement fender for 20 bucks. The guys at the salvage yard were great, and had it removed and waiting for me by the time I got there. In retrospect, I should have paid them to install it on my car (not that they would have).

Got home, got my tools out, and pretty soon I discovered that there is apparently some kind of secret way to remove or replace a front fender. Turned out there were hidden bolts everywhere, and I had a hell of a time finding them. Of course, they're hidden because you don't want your bolts on the outside of the body panel, but by the time I figured everything out, I swore I'd never again do my own body work. Engine work isn't much better, but I can at least sometimes make sense of it.

My point is, I don't have the skill or patience required to do what you're doing, and I applaud those of you that do.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I talked about my daughter getting married in this thread so thought I would share this video of the wedding (5 minutes). The videographer did an excellent job!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s2j1aXHf6U
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Re: Car parts

There's always junkyard auto recycler.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lassr wrote:I talked about my daughter getting married in this thread so thought I would share this video of the wedding (5 minutes). The videographer did an excellent job!

Congrats!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Lassr wrote:I talked about my daughter getting married in this thread so thought I would share this video of the wedding (5 minutes). The videographer did an excellent job!

Needs zombies.