What are your next major purchases?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: What are your next major purchases?

Post by Kraken »

Got the wind damage settlement check from the insurance company, minus my $1000 deductible. Roofer's bill included a $750 minimum standard painting charge, with work to be completed when weather permits. The trim already looks perfectly white to me, so I asked if we could strike that and I'll paint it myself (if my ladder will reach that high, we're talking a quart of paint and maybe 1-2 hours work). Roofer's voicemail (dontcha hate people who answer an email with a phone call?) said "your warranty doesn't require painting PVC" so that would be fine with him.

Huh. PVC. No wonder the trim already looks perfectly white.

That effectively cut my deductible to $250, and since the tree guy did some off-the-books limb trimming while he was here, I probably came out a little ahead on the deal.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id just like to say since Im going through crap too that Im sorry you guys are having to do stuff too. Even those with plenty of money it still hurts to have to replace something you either aren't ready to replace or is a surprise cost. So sorry my fellow replacers.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Thinking about a 4k projector. Not a real 4k, that's cruel... well expensive. It seems like the Optoma UHD60 is the place where price/picture/performance converge. Why does it have to be white? Of course if I get that, I think I will need to get a new receiver... and then maybe upgrade to an Xbox One X. Then I think my media room hardly gets any use... but maybe it's because it doesn't have 4k... It would be cheaper to get a Vive Pro and a new video card! Orrr maybe I'll just buy nothing. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I suddenly find myself in the market for a new car.

Currently looking at these options:

Audi A4
BMW X1 or 3 series
Honda Accord

Any recommendations are welcome.
Hodor.
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:20 pm I suddenly find myself in the market for a new car.

Audi A4
BMW X1 or 3 series
Honda Accord

I have a friend who just got a new Audi A4. Very nice car.

Your ultimate decision, however, depends on whether or not you're leasing (and getting rid of the car in 3 years) or buying. Lease? Go German. You get that extra layer of performance and luxury at the cost of reliability (and cost of repair) down the line.

One of the more anticipated releases is the Kia Stinger. Probably doesn't have the cachet you're looking for, but it looks to be a good driver's car.
naednek

Post by naednek »

A new TV. If you have kept score, this is now the 2nd tv in 4 years that my son has thrown an object at the tv in anger. We're not rushing to replace so he can feel the pain. Unfortunately we are feeling the pain as well.

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ChaoZ wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:34 pm
pr0ner wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:20 pm I suddenly find myself in the market for a new car.

Audi A4
BMW X1 or 3 series
Honda Accord

I have a friend who just got a new Audi A4. Very nice car.

Your ultimate decision, however, depends on whether or not you're leasing (and getting rid of the car in 3 years) or buying. Lease? Go German. You get that extra layer of performance and luxury at the cost of reliability (and cost of repair) down the line.

One of the more anticipated releases is the Kia Stinger. Probably doesn't have the cachet you're looking for, but it looks to be a good driver's car.
Yeah, the repair bills on my old 3 series definitely were a kick in the pants. On the one hand, I only needed to take the car in annually. On the other, it was generally not a cheap visit.
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

ChaoZ wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:34 pm One of the more anticipated releases is the Kia Stinger. Probably doesn't have the cachet you're looking for, but it looks to be a good driver's car.
Kia Stinger is already available. The Genesis G70 is coming soon, slightly smaller sedan on the same platform, with a little bit more cachet. It will certainly be cheaper than a comparable A4 of 3 series. Well equipped 252 hp RWD base model expected in the low-mid 30s. No firm date on when they will be available. It may be a couple months.

Also it is kind of odd to see the Accord put up next to the A4 and BMWs. Also the X1 is kind of an odd fit in that group.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:57 pm
ChaoZ wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:34 pm One of the more anticipated releases is the Kia Stinger. Probably doesn't have the cachet you're looking for, but it looks to be a good driver's car.
Kia Stinger is already available. The Genesis G70 is coming soon, slightly smaller sedan on the same platform, with a little bit more cachet. It will certainly be cheaper than a comparable A4 of 3 series. Well equipped 252 hp RWD base model expected in the low-mid 30s. No firm date on when they will be available. It may be a couple months.

Also it is kind of odd to see the Accord put up next to the A4 and BMWs. Also the X1 is kind of an odd fit in that group.
The Accord is an old standby for me. A fully loaded one isn't outrageously expensive, and apparently the 2018 Accord is actually getting solid reviews from gearheads as being a decent drive. Plus much more practical on the maintenance side.

The X1 is an idea because it's getting better reviews than the 3 series is these days, and I don't want an X3 or X5, as that's too big for my needs. A lot of people find the latest 3's to be underwhelming, I don't want to spend the money on a 5 series, and am not much of a fan of 2-door cars (which knocks out the 2 or 4 series).
Hodor.
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

naednek wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:53 pm A new TV. If you have kept score, this is now the 2nd tv in 4 years that my son has thrown an object at the tv in anger. We're not rushing to replace so he can feel the pain. Unfortunately we are feeling the pain as well.
I applaud your parenting tactic. Make the little one feel the consequences of his actions.
stessier

Post by stessier »

naednek wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:53 pm A new TV. If you have kept score, this is now the 2nd tv in 4 years that my son has thrown an object at the tv in anger. We're not rushing to replace so he can feel the pain. Unfortunately we are feeling the pain as well.
Brings to mind the old adage "This hurts me way more than it hurts you."
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:02 pm

The Accord is an old standby for me. A fully loaded one isn't outrageously expensive, and apparently the 2018 Accord is actually getting solid reviews from gearheads as being a decent drive. Plus much more practical on the maintenance side.

The X1 is an idea because it's getting better reviews than the 3 series is these days, and I don't want an X3 or X5, as that's too big for my needs. A lot of people find the latest 3's to be underwhelming, I don't want to spend the money on a 5 series, and am not much of a fan of 2-door cars (which knocks out the 2 or 4 series).
The Accord has gotten too big for my use case and I like the looks of the new Camry better anyway. I can't really speak to the Audi or BMWs as German sticker shock keeps me at a distance. I'm still trying to convince myself it is ok to spend mid-30s for the Genesis, which is being compared favorably to the Germans.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:29 pm
pr0ner wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:02 pm

The Accord has gotten too big for my use case and I like the looks of the new Camry better anyway. I can't really speak to the Audi or BMWs as German sticker shock keeps me at a distance. I'm still trying to convince myself it is ok to spend mid-30s for the Genesis, which is being compared favorably to the Germans.
The size of the Accord would be an issue for me after years in the 3 series. But there is a reason why the Accord always on Car and Driver's Top 10 list.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Payola?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

They've dropped the 3 series after it being a mainstay on the list for years. I doubt payola is the reason.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:14 pm They've dropped the 3 series after it being a mainstay on the list for years. I doubt payola is the reason.
First, it was a joke. Second, your anecdote makes it more likely, not less, to the conspiracy minded. :)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:18 pm
pr0ner wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:14 pm They've dropped the 3 series after it being a mainstay on the list for years. I doubt payola is the reason.
First, it was a joke. Second, your anecdote makes it more likely, not less, to the conspiracy minded. :)
LOL. Fair enough!
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Perhaps a plexiglass screen protector or clear shower curtain is in order to protect the television. Or just some chicken wire while you watch videos of Rawhide performances.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

When I was a kid we had one of those old-style b&w TVs that was in a cabinet -- TVs used to be furniture back in the day. There was a pane of window glass in front of the screen. One day, my little sister deserved to die for some entirely valid reason, so I threw a shoe at her head. She had the audacity to dodge, and my shoe sailed past her and put a long crack in the TV window. I was mortified; this was clearly her fault, but I was going to be unfairly blamed because parents don't understand how justice works. Sure enough, I took the rap, and for years we watched TV through that crack. They didn't see a reason to replace that set until color TV was invented, whereupon we got the first color set on our block. So it all worked out. If my sister had just taken the shoe that was meant for her, there would have been no crack, and we might never have gotten color TV.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'm going with the reasonable route, and will be buying a new Honda Accord tomorrow, thanks to the manager offering me a price today (that's good til tomorrow) that's too good to pass up.
Hodor.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:14 pm Perhaps a plexiglass screen protector or clear shower curtain is in order to protect the television. Or just some chicken wire while you watch videos of Rawhide performances.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. We are looking to build our own cover using acrylic Plexiglas. I found some pre-made ones, but they want $270 for a 65 inch. We could build one for about $50 or less
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Glad to help. Sure beats shelling out for new TVs.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yay, I get to buy a new roof!

It’s ok, I didn’t need that $10,000 anyways. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not covered by insurance, or do you just have a really expensive house?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:47 pm Not covered by insurance, or do you just have a really expensive house?
House is 20 years old, and we suspect they cut some rather significant corners when it was built. No specific damage that would be covered by an insurance claim, it's just worn out. I knew this was coming, still a nice smack to the wallet though.

It's not a huge place (1,600 sq ft rambler), and $10K was lowest bid we got. The others were $12K and $14K
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Had to buy me a new window air conditioner yesterday afternoon. Do you know how easy it is to find a room air conditioner at 4 PM on a Sunday afternoon?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

naednek wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:46 pm We are looking to build our own cover using acrylic Plexiglas. I found some pre-made ones, but they want $270 for a 65 inch. We could build one for about $50 or less
Tap Plastic or whatever your local equivalent is can easily sell you a sheet.

I'd imagine you just need to put a barrier in front of it so the impact doesn't go directly against the screen. Depending on how you mount your TV you may just need some Velcro (tm) and some bumpons (tm).

EDIT: Wait, I see you have a wall-mount. You need something to take the weight of the shield so it rests on the TV mount or the wall itself, not on the TV. You can offset the shield from the screen with bumpons. If you just need a quick-fix I'd look into picture frame mounting on the wall studs, attached securely to the acrylic in the corners or whereever it's secure without fear of breakage. Otherwise you need to measure something that can rest on the TV's wallmount.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

naednek wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:46 pm We are looking to build our own cover using acrylic Plexiglas. I found some pre-made ones, but they want $270 for a 65 inch. We could build one for about $50 or less
Tap Plastic or whatever your local equivalent is can easily sell you a sheet.

I'd imagine you just need to put a barrier in front of it so the impact doesn't go directly against the screen. Depending on how you mount your TV you may just need some Velcro (tm) and some bumpons (tm).

EDIT: Wait, I see you have a wall-mount. You need something to take the weight of the shield so it rests on the TV mount or the wall itself, not on the TV. You can offset the shield from the screen with bumpons. If you just need a quick-fix I'd look into picture frame mounting on the wall studs, attached securely to the acrylic in the corners or whereever it's secure without fear of breakage. Otherwise you need to measure something that can rest on the TV's wallmount.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:38 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:47 pm Not covered by insurance, or do you just have a really expensive house?
House is 20 years old, and we suspect they cut some rather significant corners when it was built. No specific damage that would be covered by an insurance claim, it's just worn out. I knew this was coming, still a nice smack to the wallet though.

It's not a huge place (1,600 sq ft rambler), and $10K was lowest bid we got. The others were $12K and $14K
Isn't 20 years getting into roof replacement time anyway?
Hodor.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

pr0ner wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:43 pm

We have been in our home (new) for almost 25 years. I had it inspected and put about $1,500 into some repairs last fall. Mostly repairs that could have been avoided had I kept the roof clean of leaves etc.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pretty much. Hence why I knew it was coming. :)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:50 pm

Pretty much. Hence why I knew it was coming. :)
Fair enough! Still a pricey outlay. One I don't particularly envy you for having to make.
Hodor.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

pr0ner wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:34 pm I'm going with the reasonable route, and will be buying a new Honda Accord tomorrow, thanks to the manager offering me a price today (that's good til tomorrow) that's too good to pass up.
Far too late to helpfully respond but I picked up a 2017 Accord Hybrid Touring back in November and I really like it. It gets over twice the mileage of the Chrysler 300 I traded in and it's a lot easier to drive. It's got all the gadgets and tech I need - Apple CarPlay is pretty sweet and I love the camera mounted on the right side mirror that kicks on when I put the turn signal on.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Exodor wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:55 pm
pr0ner wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:34 pm I'm going with the reasonable route, and will be buying a new Honda Accord tomorrow, thanks to the manager offering me a price today (that's good til tomorrow) that's too good to pass up.
Far too late to helpfully respond but I picked up a 2017 Accord Hybrid Touring back in November and I really like it. It gets over twice the mileage of the Chrysler 300 I traded in and it's a lot easier to drive. It's got all the gadgets and tech I need - Apple CarPlay is pretty sweet and I love the camera mounted on the right side mirror that kicks on when I put the turn signal on.
I wound up going with the 2018 Accord Touring. Got the 1.5 L turbo 4. My price, with taxes and fees included, came in a bit more than $2k under sticker price/MSRP, so I couldn't refuse.

So far, I'm really liking it. Not quite the same drive and handle as my old 3 series, but it's a smooth, quiet ride, with a lot more get up and go than I was expecting given the engine and HP. While I don't have that camera on the right side mirror, I have pretty much all the other bells and whistles I could possibly think of in a car. The only thing I wish it had was a CD player, but, as my salesman said, I can thank millennials for that one.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wife's laptop just died so a new one of those. Worst is she needs it by the weekend so not a lot of min/maxing on price and specs. Budgeting $1400, hope to come in under $700.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Will need anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months of PT for a partially ruptured Achilles tendon. At least that, plus ortho check-ups, should put a dent in my $3000 deductible for the year (of course, by the time I'm done, it'll almost be time for next year!)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

An organ transplant and a new house.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

New house after 1-2 months full-fare health care costs for my insulin-dependent kids.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:57 pm An organ transplant and a new house.
Zarathud wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:38 pm New house after 1-2 months full-fare health care costs for my insulin-dependent kids.
Lock the thread.
The Meal

$39,000 for 17 hours.

Post by The Meal »

Were received a bill for our daughter's appendectomy from April 30th. Guess what changed on May 1? If you said she went off the University health care and onto legitimate coverage you nailed it. The local hospital? Out of network. Retroactive Medicare is an option (as would be renegotiating the debt). Option C? Bankruptcy at age 25.

It's been a busy month.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra