[Health] The good news is that you're not paralyzed...

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

DD*

[Health] The good news is that you're not paralyzed...

Post by DD* »

Well. Been contemplating this post for a bit but figured I'd take some time to write it all up....

About 2 months ago, I was cleaning up around the house and went to pick up something relatively heavy. When I did, I felt something "pop" in my back and it was immediately stiff and painful. After a couple weeks of the adult equivalent of "rub some dirt on it" (heating pad and Advil) with no improvement, I finally went to my chiropractor. He took X-rays, said it looked like my L3 and L5 vertebrae were out of place and the disks were extremely swollen and inflamed. Over the next week to 10 days, I went back several times - the adjustments were extremely painful, but the back itself seemed to be improving. However, I started getting horrible sciatic (nerve) pain in my legs, especially on the right side. At this point, I was starting to get really worried and made an appt with a spinal surgeon. While I waiting for my surgeon appt, the pain worsened to the point where I went to the ER twice - at this point I could barely walk.

Finally the appt with the ortho doc came up. My mobility had been reduced to crawling in the house and I was in constant pain. Doc took X-rays in the office - my L1 vertebrae looked crushed. However, he did say it could be an old injury and I needed an MRI to be sure.

After the MRI, it was confirmed that it was a new break and that the nerves and spinal column in that area were being pinched, causing the pain. There also appeared to be some issues in the sacral area. The doc noted that it was unusual to see a vertebrae fracture like mine did, and to see issues in two widely separated areas (L1 and sacral). When the L1 burst, it constricted the spinal clearance from 13-14mm - which is normal - to less than 3mm. Thus the "paralyzed" comment. Based on what the doc was seeing, it was off for more tests...

CT, blood test, urine screen - everything came back looking good. Except the CT. That showed suspicious "stuff" on my spine - something was essentially eating my vertebrae away. Biopsy confirmed it was cancer, multiple myeloma to be exact. MM is a marrow cancer and is supposed to be manageable, so I am cautiously optimistic. Besides, what are ya gonna do? Gotta play the cards you are dealt. The L1 burst because a significant portion of the bone was gone.

So, a severely broken back ended up being the good news. All a matter of perspective :)

I have surgery scheduled for Tuesday to put a rod and screws around the L1 to stabilize that area of my spine and relieve the pain. Some time after that, I will be meeting with an oncologist to plan treatment for the cancer. And I get to wear a spiffy back brace for 3 months...

So, if you are so inclined, I'd appreciate any prayers, thoughts, good mojo, etc that you can send my way. :)

tl:dr - DD breaks his back and finds out he has cancer.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Isgrimnur

Re: [Health] The good news is that you're not paralyzed...

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wow. Best of luck. Let us know if there's anything you need.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Definitely in our thoughts and please let us know if you need anything!
DD*

Post by DD* »

The lesson, of course, is don't clean the house!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Wow. That's a pretty stiff double whammy. Best of luck, and hope you come through fine on the other side!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Holey craptastic vertebrae, Batman! Here I was about to commiserate due to having a herniated disc between my L5 and L6 for most of the last year and then you had to go and get serious on us. Good luck!
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

Damn that sucks hope you recover quickly. While not to your extreme situation. In early April, I had an excruciating pain in my right shoulder neck area. 3 trips to the ER later and multiple CT's, MRI's, I have cervical radiculopathy. Essentially, I have a pinched nerve in my back/neck, which they say was caused by my 30+ years in healthcare from Paramedic to RN. 3 weeks of steroids and PT later and Im close to normal but if I have another flare up, its under the knife I go to remove a disc in my neck. I never really understood nerve pain in all my years of medicine but after experiencing it firsthand, I appreciate the difference in nerve vs generalized pain. Its a whole new monster and I partially know the type of pain you have been going through. I got 6 words for you F*#k Cancer and beat its ass. We are pulling for you!!!
Odin

Post by Odin »

That sucks pretty hard, DD*. To the extent that I have spiritual energy of any kind to send (no idea, really. I consider it unlikely, but who knows?), consider it sent. Please let us know how things progress.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

D D !
:cry:
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
DD*

Post by DD* »

soulbringer wrote:Damn that sucks hope you recover quickly. While not to your extreme situation. In early April, I had an excruciating pain in my right shoulder neck area. 3 trips to the ER later and multiple CT's, MRI's, I have cervical radiculopathy. Essentially, I have a pinched nerve in my back/neck, which they say was caused by my 30+ years in healthcare from Paramedic to RN. 3 weeks of steroids and PT later and Im close to normal but if I have another flare up, its under the knife I go to remove a disc in my neck. I never really understood nerve pain in all my years of medicine but after experiencing it firsthand, I appreciate the difference in nerve vs generalized pain. Its a whole new monster and I partially know the type of pain you have been going through. I got 6 words for you F*#k Cancer and beat its ass. We are pulling for you!!!
Yeah nerve pain is ungodly. I broke my tibia/fibula abou 4 years ago, and I'd take that again over this nerve BS in a heartbeat. When the nerves fire, every muscle in my thighs and pelvis just start spasming like mad. Do that for a few weeks and you get a lovely ache in all of your muscles, ligaments, tendons, etc to go along with the liquid fire of ravaged nerves themselves. And the fun of never knowing exactly what is going to cause your body to go apeshit so you get very touchy about any movement at all.

The good news is that my doc believes that once he clans up the L1 area, this stuff should go away. Fingers crossed!
Last edited by DD* on Mon May 30, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

that's some mental imagery, there. we're pullin for ya
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

DD* wrote:The lesson, of course, is don't clean the house!
I learned that one a long time ago. Wife and I split the cleaning equitably -- neither one of us does squat.

But holy shit, what a story..."get well soon" doesn't even start to cover it.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Bonne chance!
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

As someone with major back problems I can empathize with you. My mom had a squished disk onetime that she had to get operated on. She was in bad shape until then.
I just have bones spurs on all my vertebra. Bad, but nothing compared to you.
I wish you all the best.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jeebus, what a crappy way to find out you're getting old and obsolete. Hopefully the prognosis is true and this can be overcome. Stay diligent even if you're told you're clear -- a friend of mine had cancer come roaring back a year after his chemo was deemed a success.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Gah, no! I'm sorry. Make it fixed!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Hoping for the best, DD!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Heartfelt wishes for a speedy and SUCCESSFUL recovery!!!!

Damn. Stay positive and let us know if we can help.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Prayers incoming. Good luck.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Best wishes for your treatment and recovery. At least the doctors know what's wrong and how to treat it.

Ask for the Borg upgrades. ;)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Wow, just wow. Sending purple thoughts your way. A moment distracted is a moment not in pain!
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Next time, go straight to ortho or real med.

Chiropractors are NOT real doctors despite many of them pretending to be. They started as pseudoscience (look up "subluxation") and they have NO ability to diagnose ANYTHING other than "musculoskeletal", yet they want to be treated as regular MDs (and actually manipulate BABIES! BABIES $#(&#($)^!?!) Best they can do is X-ray and massage, none of which does you any good in long-term.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds

Post by Default »

Prayers and mojo heading your way like a freight train loaded with tnt and bubble fluid.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Default wrote:Prayers and mojo heading your way like a freight train loaded with tnt and bubble fluid.
But who's the target? :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Best of luck to you, DD!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just reading this makes my back ache.. Seriously.

Me and my wife will pray for you. Wish there was more we could do DD. Hope it all goes 100% and quick and easy for you..best that it can.

Remember to wear your Jayne hat in recovery. Those damn places are icy cold. I asked the guy last time I was in why it was so cold and they said it was something about inhibiting stuff from growing. I about froze. They put multiple blankets on me to keep me from shaking.

Best to you and your's!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
tgb

Post by tgb »

Our thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery. That really really sucks.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Wow, sorry to hear.

I'm a chemo nurse, if that matters. I see lots of Multiple Myeloma patients weekly that we treat. I'd be glad to share my experiences if you ever have any questions.

I'll send any and all positive vibes your way.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
gf.me/u/zhnmhs

Post by Default »

Kasey Chang wrote:
Default wrote:Prayers and mojo heading your way like a freight train loaded with tnt and bubble fluid.
But who's the target? :D
Tnt esplodes, filling the neighborhood with cheerfull bubbles. And making a loud noise. It's a positive and somewhat threatening inevitability of support.
Last edited by Default on Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Now that sounds lovely!
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

That's terrible news. I wish you the fastest of recoveries and look forward to reading how you beat this.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Hoping for a quick and successful treatment and recovery!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I cannot imagine going to the doctor to have back pain addressed and then learn I have cancer. WTF! Regardless, add me to the list of people wishing you quick and easy treatment as well as a speedy recovery.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Oh, fuck all that. That blows, DD. Best luck kicking its ass.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Hoping for your prompt and complete recovery, DD. Don't be "in your bunk" for too long.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Smoove_B wrote:I cannot imagine going to the doctor to have back pain addressed and then learn I have cancer. WTF! Regardless, add me to the list of people wishing you quick and easy treatment as well as a speedy recovery.
Yeah I was a little WTF about the whole thing. OTOH, now I know and can address it.

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Oh man...best of luck.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

That's terrible but it sounds like the prognosis is pretty optimistic for the long term. Hopefully you don't have to crawl through the shit too long to get to the other side of this, you'll be in my thoughts.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

So sorry for your news, though hopefully you were fortunate enough to discover it early (you'll likely need to have a Freelite test done to accurately determine where you're at).

I recently lost one of my closest friends to complications from multiple myeloma; he had it for almost a decade, though his was diagnosed at a somewhat late stage, and when treatments were still fairly primitive. However, the progress that's been made with immunotherapy for multiple myeloma has been incredible (e.g. I'd strongly encourage you to investigate a treatment like Darzalex with your hematologist/oncologist, particularly if it means avoiding chemo and the like). Alas, my friend was too far gone, primarily due to all the damage he'd suffered from taking chemo over the years, to begin the immunotherapy treatment.

Stay strong, and I wish you all the very best.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:So sorry for your news, though hopefully you were fortunate enough to discover it early (you'll likely need to have a Freelite test done to accurately determine where you're at).

I recently lost one of my closest friends to complications from multiple myeloma; he had it for almost a decade, though his was diagnosed at a somewhat late stage, and when treatments were still fairly primitive. However, the progress that's been made with immunotherapy for multiple myeloma has been incredible (e.g. I'd strongly encourage you to investigate a treatment like Darzalex with your hematologist/oncologist, particularly if it means avoiding chemo and the like). Alas, my friend was too far gone, primarily due to all the damage he'd suffered from taking chemo over the years, to begin the immunotherapy treatment.

Stay strong, and I wish you all the very best.
Daratumumab is a good medication. Treatment has for sure come a long way.

I do tons of immunotherapy weekly and for the most part, people tolerate them ok.

I'd also encourage DD to ask about these medications and clinical trials. Good stuff is happening with treatment.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
gf.me/u/zhnmhs