[Movies] Avengers: Infinity War, Parts I & II [SPOILERS!!!]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

GuidoTKP

Re: [Movies] Avengers: Infinity War, Parts I & II

Post by GuidoTKP »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:57 am
GuidoTKP wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:54 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:37 pm I largely agree with Scalzi. (Spoilers, ho!)
Spoiler:
I mean, not that there's a lot that I think Marvel could have done about this. But I had the same 'lolz, ok, dudes' reaction to much of the ending, simply because nope.
Scalzi nails it exactly.
Spoiler:
When I read that people left the theater crying, I'm just thinking "Are you stupid?" "Are you five?" That whole movie is written, structured and presented as if the last act matters. As if there was real gravitas to the moment where Thanos ends half of creation. For that to work, you the audience have to believe that half the people in the universe died and will stay dead. Anyone half paying attention knows that's not the case. Spiderman isn't dead. Black Panther isn't dead. Peter Quill, Gamora, Drax, Gru, and Mants aren't dead. There's a time stone. There was a plan when Dr. Strange handed off the time stone. None of this is going to stick. And that's a problem. Because that left me feeling like I only saw half a movie with no consequences. I had no emotional response to Peter saying he doesn't want to go, because immediately, in the back of my mind, I answered him. Don't worry kid, this is only temporary. They kind of jumped the shark structurally. Thanos is too close to omnipotent. It kind of makes the whole thing boring and you're just sort of waiting for the cleverness to arrive and unwind the plot. I think you can get away with that trick if the movie is self contained and the whole thing resolves by the end. But being asked to believe what I'm seeing and then to hold that thought for a year before Part 2 comes out, when I know the whole thing was bullshit, was pretty unsatisfying.
I'm looking forward to Deadpool 2. I think it will deliver what its fans want.
I find that ridiculous. Everyone knew Galdalf eventually defeats the Balrog, but it was still awesome.
Yeah, the Gandalf scene was awesome. But I find this to be a crap comparison.
Spoiler:
FotR didn't ask me to believe Gandalf died. That moment had power regardless of whether he died or not. He was willing to make the sacrifice, he made the sacrifice, he ultimately paid a high price, and ... most importantly from a structural standpoint ... Gandalf's sacrifice comes at the end of Act 2. Thus, there is an entire third act for you to watch the rest of the Fellowship react to the loss, grow from the loss, find their own way after the loss of their leader. In other words, Gandalf's sacrifice isn't cheapened by him ultimately surviving the fight with the Balrog, because his loss drives the Fellowship to an amazing third act, where Frodo realizes he has to go it alone, Boromir figures out how to get the fuck out of his own way and become the hero the world needs, and Aragorn has to face that the training wheels are off and it's now up to him to figure out how to become the leader his people need.

My problem with A:IS is that we see none of that play out. I expect consequences will be covered in Avengers 4, but that simply points to this being an incomplete film experience. Because the snap comes at the end of the movie, it's structured to have gravitas because *gasp* Thanos won! It's cheap because everyone should know he didn't win. Maybe Avengers 4 will make the whole thing hold together, but I hate walking out at the end of half a movie. The call back to Lord of the Rings is pretty great, because that's an example of long-form story that works in pieces and collectively. The Harry Potter movies nail this as well. I don't think A:IS works that well on its own and we won't really know how well it works until Avengers 4.

People have also called back to the Empire Strikes Back. Again, TESB never asks us to believe Han is dead. The scene works as an obstacle that you know the rebels will have to overcome in the next movie, as opposed to trying to extract emotional weight from "Holy shit, Han died!!!!!" But the end of A:IS is all about "Holy shit, Spiderman died! Black Panther died! Most of the Guardians died! Oh no oh no oh no!" If that's the feeling you're going for (and I get that they are translating a classic arc from the comics) then you can't kill off characters that have sequels in production and expect me to believe their deaths for even one second.

AI:S works as spectacle for me. A lot of the scenes look cool. A lot of the humor works (although, I find Tony and Dr. Strange to be pretty 2 dimensional, which kind of weighs down their portion of the movie) but like the problems faced by most Superman movies, once the scale of the conflict grows to God levels of destruction, it's hard to have any emotional connection to the plot. Making this movie work on its own was a difficult task and I don't think the Russos nailed it.
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

GuidoTKP wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:31 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:37 pm I largely agree with Scalzi. (Spoilers, ho!)
Spoiler:
I mean, not that there's a lot that I think Marvel could have done about this. But I had the same 'lolz, ok, dudes' reaction to much of the ending, simply because nope.
Scalzi nails it exactly.
Spoiler:
When I read that people left the theater crying, I'm just thinking "Are you stupid?" "Are you five?" That whole movie is written, structured and presented as if the last act matters. As if there was real gravitas to the moment where Thanos ends half of creation. For that to work, you the audience have to believe that half the people in the universe died and will stay dead. Anyone half paying attention knows that's not the case. Spiderman isn't dead. Black Panther isn't dead. Peter Quill, Gamora, Drax, Gru, and Mants aren't dead. There's a time stone. There was a plan when Dr. Strange handed off the time stone. None of this is going to stick. And that's a problem. Because that left me feeling like I only saw half a movie with no consequences. I had no emotional response to Peter saying he doesn't want to go, because immediately, in the back of my mind, I answered him. Don't worry kid, this is only temporary. They kind of jumped the shark structurally. Thanos is too close to omnipotent. It kind of makes the whole thing boring and you're just sort of waiting for the cleverness to arrive and unwind the plot. I think you can get away with that trick if the movie is self contained and the whole thing resolves by the end. But being asked to believe what I'm seeing and then to hold that thought for a year before Part 2 comes out, when I know the whole thing was bullshit, was pretty unsatisfying.
I find that ridiculous. Everyone knew Galdalf eventually defeats the Balrog, but it was still awesome.
Spoiler:
FotR didn't ask me to believe Gandalf died. That moment had power regardless of whether he died or not. He was willing to make the sacrifice, he made the sacrifice, he ultimately paid a high price, and ... most importantly from a structural standpoint ... Gandalf's sacrifice comes at the end of Act 2. Thus, there is an entire third act for you to watch the rest of the Fellowship react to the loss, grow from the loss, find their own way after the loss of their leader. In other words, Gandalf's sacrifice isn't cheapened by him ultimately surviving the fight with the Balrog, because his loss drives the Fellowship to an amazing third act, where Frodo realizes he has to go it alone, Boromir figures out how to get the fuck out of his own way and become the hero the world needs, and Aragorn has to face that the training wheels are off and it's now up to him to figure out how to become the leader his people need.

My problem with A:IS is that we see none of that play out. I expect consequences will be covered in Avengers 4, but that simply points to this being an incomplete film experience. Because the snap comes at the end of the movie, it's structured to have gravitas because *gasp* Thanos won! It's cheap because everyone should know he didn't win. Maybe Avengers 4 will make the whole thing hold together, but I hate walking out at the end of half a movie. The call back to Lord of the Rings is pretty great, because that's an example of long-form story that works in pieces and collectively. The Harry Potter movies nail this as well. I don't think A:IS works that well on its own and we won't really know how well it works until Avengers 4.

People have also called back to the Empire Strikes Back. Again, TESB never asks us to believe Han is dead. The scene works as an obstacle that you know the rebels will have to overcome in the next movie, as opposed to trying to extract emotional weight from "Holy shit, Han died!!!!!" But the end of A:IS is all about "Holy shit, Spiderman died! Black Panther died! Most of the Guardians died! Oh no oh no oh no!" If that's the feeling you're going for (and I get that they are translating a classic arc from the comics) then you can't kill off characters that have sequels in production and expect me to believe their deaths for even one second.

AI:S works as spectacle for me. A lot of the scenes look cool. A lot of the humor works (although, I find Tony and Dr. Strange to be pretty 2 dimensional, which kind of weighs down their portion of the movie) but like the problems faced by most Superman movies, once the scale of the conflict grows to God levels of destruction, it's hard to have any emotional connection to the plot. Making this movie work on its own was a difficult task and I don't think the Russos nailed it.
You're welcome to your opinion. I just disagree with it.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

hentzau wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:48 pm
DD* wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:15 pm
Kelric wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:23 am Guys, we're getting into spoiler territory here. Can an admin amend the thread title to acknowledge that so we don't ruin it for anyone else, please?

Valid point, though this particular point was pretty well documented in all of the promotional pics/trailers/etc that preceded the movie.
I assume he was talking about the discussion going on preceding my post about losses...
Baktosh and gameoverman.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I'll hide it, but is anyone coming in here expecting to see a clean page of
Spoiler:
buttons?
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:02 pm
GuidoTKP wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:31 pm
Spoiler:
Scalzi nails it exactly.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

You're welcome to your opinion. I just disagree with it.
Since you found my opinion "ridiculous," I responded, particularly since I didn't find your comparison to be very persuasive. I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone who liked the movie to not like it. I just wanted to like it more than I did and am explaining why I didn't. I still love the Russos. Winter Soldier and Civil War are the high points of what a a super hero ensemble piece can look like. Now that we're heading into God-level conflicts, however, I'm really wondering if anyone can pull these types of stories off on film (they work in the comics). Seems like a lot of people are feeling like they did. For me, it didn't really work. At least, not yet.
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Just change the name of the thread to include spoilers, and we'd be good.
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

Bakhtosh wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:24 pm I'll hide it, but is anyone coming in here expecting to see a clean page of
Spoiler:
buttons?
The movie hasn't been out a week, yet, so it seems reasonable to be working heavy use of the spoiler buttons right now.

-- Mr. Fed
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

It seemed to me that people were getting comfortable with being a little more specific, so that's why I didn't use spoilers in that one post. I changed that, so that maybe by closing the barn door it's not too late to save the horses who haven't bolted yet.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I'll ask it again differently: someone who doesn't want to be spoiled is coming into this thread for what reason? At this point, it would basically be a page of nested spoiler buttons...
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Yeah it's time to just make this a spoiler thread. It should just be marked as such. Spoiler buttons are getting old.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Bakhtosh wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:46 pm I'll ask it again differently: someone who doesn't want to be spoiled is coming into this thread for what reason? At this point, it would basically be a page of nested spoiler buttons...
I'll often visit a thread about a movie or TV show to get people's general impressions, which helps me decide whether I should invest time and money in watching it. If that movie or show has been out for a while, then I expect plenty of spoiler talk out in the open. But if it's come out recently, then I expect people will still be using spoiler tags.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I would think in this case people interested in this movie would have visited this thread by now and know about the spoilers.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
DD*

Post by DD* »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:33 am I would think in this case people interested in this movie would have visited this thread by now and know about the spoilers.
Especially the one about Aquaman and the whale blubber.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Brian

Post by Brian »

DD* wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 12:53 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:33 am I would think in this case people interested in this movie would have visited this thread by now and know about the spoilers.
Without giving too much away, that scene is pivotal in the War Machine/Rocket Racoon/Red Sonja love triangle subplot.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Brian wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:19 pm
Without giving too much away, that scene is pivotal in the War Machine/Rocket Racoon/Red Sonja love triangle subplot.
Dude, it's not a spoiler if it's obvious.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Brian wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:19 pm
It's a natural lubricant.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Something I noticed, I hope I'm not the only one -

Did StarLord get an upgrade on his blaster pistols?, because in Infinity War they seem to fire off bursts very fast, and with more lethal power.

He was kicking some serious ass with them, and it was with this use that I noticed they seemed far more lethal than in any other movie.

StarLord, what can you say? The man is the funniest and most built-in comic relief that Marvel has going for it. The scenes with Thor and the
"mocking me" scene, Oh man that was great. And the talk with Spidey about Kevin Bacon, more good stuff.

I liked it alot, but wanted to LOVE it, and it just didn't happen. It got slow and dragged in places, but overall it was definitely worth the special
$25 I spent on the Avengers Collectors cup and popcorn bucket. I'm such a sucker for a nicely decorated piece of plastic that's getting a home
in my movie room.

THANOS...wow, the work they did to bring him to life, he was the centerpiece of the movie for me, and he's an awesome villain. I think he's got
a lot more depth to him than just killing planets.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Alright let's officially put spoiler in the title please before someone unwittingly ends up in here that doesn't want spoilers.
DD*

Post by DD* »

JSHAW wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:29 pm Something I noticed, I hope I'm not the only one -

Did StarLord get an upgrade on his blaster pistols?, because in Infinity War they seem to fire off bursts very fast, and with more lethal power.

He was kicking some serious ass with them, and it was with this use that I noticed they seemed far more lethal than in any other movie.

StarLord, what can you say? The man is the funniest and most built-in comic relief that Marvel has going for it. The scenes with Thor and the
"mocking me" scene, Oh man that was great. And the talk with Spidey about Kevin Bacon, more good stuff.
I will add that Hemsworth, for my money, is one of the funniest actors in all of the Marvel movies.

Last time for
Spoiler:
The character of Thor is so full of himself, in a generally good way, that he is essentially his own straight man and I think Hemsworth really nails it. The whole scene on the Milano when Thor decides that "the rabbit" is in charge solely because RR agrees with Thor's chosen course is absolutely hilarious. As is "you speak Groot" - "of course, it was an elective in Asgard" played off as if it was the most normal thing in the world. I think he just absolutely nails Thor, and there are scenes and throwaway lines like in all three Thor movies and the Avengers films as well. The guy deserves more credit.
From now on, proceed at your own risk. Spoiler tag is finished...
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
morlac

Re: [Movies] Avengers: Infinity War, Parts I & II [SPOILERS!!!]

Post by morlac »

Saw it last night...Holy Shit! Stunned silence with a kid crying at the end. WOW.

That was the most epic thing I have ever seen. Fantastic job of juggling the plot and all the characters. I need to see it again as I am still processing it.

What a titanic set of balls it took to put this whole cinematic universe thing into motion. Once they conclude this with the next Avengers movie it will go down as the most incredible thing in Cinema History. Interwoven plots and characters from twenty movies over a twelve year run. In an industry full of terrible movies (particularly sequels) the fact that these were all good - great makes this an amazing achievement. Star Wars is close but they have smaller core of characters, took decades to advance the plot and had a third of the movies turn out mediocre at best. The Harry Potter series is another close one but the main focus of each film is still Harry.

I think my favorite thing about these films is the casting. It may be the best I've ever seen. They just nail every character and I am hard pressed to name anyone better they could have cast This is for pretty much all the characters, not just the main ones.

I'm gushing like fanboy but I am just stunned at how this is all turning out ten years later. Enjoy the ride, it won't last forever....will it?
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

DD* wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:36 pm
JSHAW wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:29 pm Something I noticed, I hope I'm not the only one -

I will add that Hemsworth, for my money, is one of the funniest actors in all of the Marvel movies.

Last time for
Spoiler:
The character of Thor is so full of himself, in a generally good way, that he is essentially his own straight man and I think Hemsworth really nails it. The whole scene on the Milano when Thor decides that "the rabbit" is in charge solely because RR agrees with Thor's chosen course is absolutely hilarious. As is "you speak Groot" - "of course, it was an elective in Asgard" played off as if it was the most normal thing in the world. I think he just absolutely nails Thor, and there are scenes and throwaway lines like in all three Thor movies and the Avengers films as well. The guy deserves more credit.
From now on, proceed at your own risk. Spoiler tag is finished...
Yeah, Hemsworth is a great comic actor. When they did the all female Ghostbusters movie, he came in as eye candy and frikkin stole the entire movie out from under several ladies with serious comic chops.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

With Thor being so awesome in the last two movies, I lament the loss of what could have been in the movies before Ragnarok. And I don't mean his powers, I get that discovering the extent of his powers is part of the overall growth of the character. I mean the personality. They were holding him back for a long time. Hemsworth does a fantastic job balancing his powerful and dominant side with a completely in character sense of humor. In the last two movies, as funny as he is, I never felt like he was trying to be funny, he just is. That's my favorite kind of movie humor. He's like one of the characters in This Is Spinal Tap. I could see Thor saying "This one goes to 11" when someone asks him what makes his axe so special.
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

And yet - it's perfectly in keeping with Thor's overall story - in the comics, he was sent to Earth to learn humility, so he SHOULD start out as arrogant and unreachable.
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just came out of the 1020AM. It was past 1PM that I came out. Of course there's a ton of trailers, but really, this is almost 3 hour movie.

And, no spoilers, WTF... This thing is epic. And it's pretty obvious what's gonna happen in the next movie, AND YET you can't wait to see **HOW** are they going to accomplish the retcon while making it make sense, even within a world of superheroes and whatnot.

With so many plotlines to juggle, yet making sense of it all, or at least, "somewhat", there are moments where the momentum kinda dragged, but the gallows humor really got a couple chuckles out of me. And let's just say, a certain villain's cameo return was... surprising.

Any way, I had fun, and look forward to see the sequel a year from now.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

GargoyleBoy wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:33 pm And yet - it's perfectly in keeping with Thor's overall story - in the comics, he was sent to Earth to learn humility, so he SHOULD start out as arrogant and unreachable.
In universe one can see it as the more he is around humans, the more human his personality becomes. In our world where we just see the movies, it kind of works.... but I'd rather have had two better Thor movies.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Saw this Friday night at a 10:30 pm show. Got out at 1:20am - man that movie is long. Saw it in IMAX 3D. I agree that 3D adds nothing, but I love me some IMAX.

I had avoided all media and spoilers (never saw a trailer) and went in blind. (I knew it was about Thanos though.) I liked it although it was depressing as heck. Very much like Empire Strikes Back. Reading through the comments here, I think the Scarlett Witch's death was as moving as Spidey's. Her look of relief and wistfulness was perfect.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. Went back and re-read the start Infinity Gauntlet and didn't realize how much I had forgotten about that story, and the similarities in the film, almost down to specific shots. (I did not re-read the end of it...)

Anyway, I was surprised about the ending of the movie, but didn't feel any great loss. As has been discussed, we know it's not the end of this story and it's the how the heroes triumph that I'm waiting to see. And I understand Marvel is calling A4 the finale and the contracts are largely ending, but I'm not sure they can pull off a movie where they kill most of the iconic heroes. I understand the narrative need for sacrifice, but I'll be surprised (and probably unhappy) if all the old guard kick it. But who knows... maybe, it'll "work" in the story.

So I'm not the only one expecting the return of the classic versions of these Avengers next movie, right? I mean, we've already talked about Cap sans shield (and bearded, and no helmet). We have Banner without Hulk. We have Thor, short hair, no Mjolnir. And Stark can always have a new shiny suit. With the heroes, scattered and paired up in multiple side stories, they just -have- to do an "Avengers Assemble" scene, with classic, shiny, heroic versions of the core, right?

Also - didn't see it mentioned in my scanning the thread... with Thanos possessing the time stone, does that open the door to using Kang as a time-travel option? He was never a favorite villain for me, but maybe he's the way they rewind the snap? (It would seem like a cop-out without his being introduced in previous MCU films though). /shrug
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I’m fairly certain Kang is a Fantastic 4 villain and is therefore owned by Fox.

Also, I’m going to feel cheated if we never get Captain America shouting “Avengers Assemble!”
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Speculation about Avengers 4:
Spoiler:
Just my guess, I think maybe Avengers 4 will be about time travel to the past to redo the whole thing and defeat Thanos earlier in the timeline. Maybe Stark will travel back in time using the power of time stone and assembles Avengers earlier and with more members. With time stone, the fact that Thanos has the time stone doesn't stop other from using time stone from different time. Dr Strange can use the time stone to send future Stark to the past then go back in time and give the time stone to Thanos. Kinda like back to the future movie. Dr Strange = Doc Brown, Stark = Marty McFly
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:36 am Speculation about Avengers 4:
Spoiler:
Just my guess, I think maybe Avengers 4 will be about time travel to the past to redo the whole thing and defeat Thanos earlier in the timeline. Maybe Stark will travel back in time using the power of time stone and assembles Avengers earlier and with more members. With time stone, the fact that Thanos has the time stone doesn't stop other from using time stone from different time. Dr Strange can use the time stone to send future Stark to the past then go back in time and give the time stone to Thanos. Kinda like back to the future movie. Dr Strange = Doc Brown, Stark = Marty McFly
Spoiler:
Given that set photos from Avengers 4 look like part of it is set during the first Avengers movie, perhaps they'll go back and try to destroy the Space Stone.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Spoiler:
I don't think it can work that way. Consider the paradox problem.
Spoiler:
If they go back to change something drastic in the past so Thanos doesn't snap his fingers, then in the future there's no reason for them to go to the past. If they don't go to the past then they don't stop Thanos from snapping his fingers.

To avoid the paradox, I think any resolution must allow for Thanos to get the gauntlet with all the stones and snap his fingers. This would be possible by having another gauntlet made, collecting the stones, and the Avengers wield the second gauntlet to undo the snap. This way the snap still happened, but it was countered by another snap.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

msteelers wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:04 am I’m fairly certain Kang is a Fantastic 4 villain and is therefore owned by Fox.

Also, I’m going to feel cheated if we never get Captain America shouting “Avengers Assemble!”
Ah, good pull. I hadn't caught that fact. Well, since I was never a fan of Kang, I won't miss him. Then, I'm guessing they'll have to steal the time gem back? Can't think of how they'll rewind otherwise. Can't really think how they'd swindle Thanos to get the gem back though either. Guess that's what I'm waiting for - to see how they get out of this.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

gameoverman wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:08 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
If they go back to change something drastic in the past so Thanos doesn't snap his fingers, then in the future there's no reason for them to go to the past. If they don't go to the past then they don't stop Thanos from snapping his fingers.

To avoid the paradox, I think any resolution must allow for Thanos to get the gauntlet with all the stones and snap his fingers. This would be possible by having another gauntlet made, collecting the stones, and the Avengers wield the second gauntlet to undo the snap. This way the snap still happened, but it was countered by another snap.
Except if we are dealing with quantum realities, then time paradoxes can be side stepped. This may be where Antman and The Wasp tie in to Avengers 4 as the quantum realm will figure in heavily. It will be interesting to see exactly how they pull off reversing Thanos' Snapocylpse.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I really don't think time travel is going to play a big role like that. Or at least, I hope not. Besides, the only way they know how to time travel at this point is with the time stone, which Thanos is currently in possession of.

We'll know more later, but right now my speculation is that the ending will be similar to the way the comics storyline wrapped up, With Captain Marvel using the gauntlet to undo the snap, and Nebula possibly being the one to get the gauntlet from Thanos. I don't think it was an accident that Nebula survived the culling, and it's more than just to provide a ship for Stark to get back to Earth.

Assuming there IS a gauntlet. It looked pretty mangled there after the snap. There's been a lot of speculation that the original Avengers have to sacrifice themselves in order to reverse the snap. 6 original Avengers... 6 Infinity Stones... Maybe the gauntlet is destroyed, and they each have to wield a stone. :ninja:
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

msteelers wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:52 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I really don't think time travel is going to play a big role like that. Or at least, I hope not. Besides, the only way they know how to time travel at this point is with the time stone, which Thanos is currently in possession of.

We'll know more later, but right now my speculation is that the ending will be similar to the way the comics storyline wrapped up, With Captain Marvel using the gauntlet to undo the snap, and Nebula possibly being the one to get the gauntlet from Thanos. I don't think it was an accident that Nebula survived the culling, and it's more than just to provide a ship for Stark to get back to Earth.

Assuming there IS a gauntlet. It looked pretty mangled there after the snap. There's been a lot of speculation that the original Avengers have to sacrifice themselves in order to reverse the snap. 6 original Avengers... 6 Infinity Stones... Maybe the gauntlet is destroyed, and they each have to wield a stone. :ninja:
The filmmakers make a point of having
Spoiler:
Tyrion tell Thor how he(Tyrion) made the gauntlet for Thanos. I don't think that was idle chitchat. I think that's setting the stage for them to return to him so they can have him make another gauntlet.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

gameoverman wrote:
msteelers wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:52 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

The filmmakers make a point of having
Spoiler:
Tyrion tell Thor how he(Tyrion) made the gauntlet for Thanos. I don't think that was idle chitchat. I think that's setting the stage for them to return to him so they can have him make another gauntlet.
Good point. That scene slipped my mind.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Just saw it earlier today. Definitely enjoyed it. And yeah, the impact of the ending is a little mitigated by the fact that it's clearly going to be undone somehow in the next Avengers movie, but it was still pretty grim (especially the Peter part).

The one thing that bothered me coming out of the movie is how repeatedly stupid the heroes are - they just keep goddamn handing Thanos infinity stones. And yeah, I get that Thanos is threatening people they love. BUT like, you all know that half the universe dies if he gets all the stones! Odds are decent that the person's going to get snapped to death anyway! One thing though is that coming out of the movie I was particularly annoyed with Dr. Strange because it made no sense for him to give up the time stone to save Tony Stark. But as was pointed out, the whole "there was always only one way" line at the end, combined with his earlier explanation that there's only one timeline where they win, means that may make sense - he saw the only timeline as one where Thanos completed the gauntlet. So, I'll withhold judgment on that at this point, I guess.

Still not sure why Dr. Strange never used the time stone in any of his fights, though.
Black Lives Matter.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:09 am Still not sure why Dr. Strange never used the time stone in any of his fights, though.
Perhaps...
Spoiler:
It's because he doesn't have it.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

gameoverman wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:08 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Not a problem when you have someone like Dr Strange that can look into alternate future. If Thanos doesn't snap his fingers, Dr Strange can still see that to have that outcome, they need to have Avengers assembled earlier which requires sending Stark back in time.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:25 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:09 am Still not sure why Dr. Strange never used the time stone in any of his fights, though.
Perhaps...
Spoiler:
It's because he doesn't have it.
Spoiler:
Thanos used it to bring back Vision. I don't think this is going to follow the comics where someone slips him a fake infinity stone. The snap wouldn't have worked.
Strange did use the stone in the fight. He looked ahead to find the one timeline where the heroes win, and knew that he had to give up the stone to Thanos to keep Stark alive. He did what he could to stay on the good timeline. Now that he's gone it's up to the rest of the good guys to make the right choices.