I don't know where to start..

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Unagi

Re: I don't know where to start..

Post by Unagi »

Little Raven wrote:I'm so happy that things are looking up. You've been a great husband, FP. I hope I can live up to your example, but more than that I hope I never have to.
So well said. All of it.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Been awhile since I posted an update. My wife has been done with chemo for awhile now, and her hair has been growing back but she's had a lot of neuropathic pain. We're still working on finding what works and what doesn't, it's improving but not totally gone.

Two weeks ago she had a lumpectomy to remove the two tumors and sentinel lymph nodes.. Longest day of my life. We were there by 7amish, lots of stuff to happen pre-op and she didn't get into the OR until close to 2pm. Didn't get to see her again until around 6pmish (and only after suggesting they take me to her before I wrecked the place.. but that's a story for another time).

Surgery seemed to go fine, again been managing pain and handling kids while somehow maintaining a job over an hour away.. I have a pretty solid management team under me, and my peers have had my back for the past six months with this shit. I haven't been 100% for 6 months, and while they bitch to me about what they need they haven't once complained elsewhere or to my boss. Owe these guys.

Anyways this week my wife comes down from bed (its around 11pm, I assume she's coming to tell me to go to bed as it was getting late).. She's got "some leaking from the incision". That should have been rephrased as "there's fucking liters of reddish liquid pouring out of me". So here we are in the middle of the night, with the kids asleep and just myself there (her mom went back home on Monday as it appeared everything was out of control). She drove herself to the hospital (I had to stay with the kids, and once we got some gauze on it -- it slowed the flow enough I was less paniced). Ends up one of our neighbours is a nurse at the hospital, sees my wife and gets her to the top of the list behind a few others that are more critical (this woman runs the ER we found out.. good person to know). ER Doc isn't concerned, says it's normal and doesn't look infected. Patches her up and sends her home.

The next day we speak to the surgeon who wanted to see her in a day or two (yesterday) to make sure the incisions weren't getting infected, we already had an appointment for the 15th to get the pathology back but he felt it was necessary to come in and have him do a quick 2 minute check. He does the check, and says "I'm not sure if you're going to like this or not.. but there's nothing wrong. So the good news is no infection, bad news is the pain is the pain and we have to continue trying to manage it". While we are sitting there talking with him, his wife (the receptionist) walks in and says "No point in making these people come back next week, the pathology just came in". We weren't really prepared for what that might say, but he had prepped us that it's normal to still find live dividing cancer cells, and what's really important is that the margins around the cancer are clear and that he took enough lymph nodes to have a few clean ones at the end of the chain.

So he starts flipping around through the papers muttering, then states that they usually summarize the report and he can't find it, then says he's got to be missing something... Wife has a deadlock handhold on my hand.. clock keeps ticking while we sit there waiting for him to flip through 10 pages of writing and to get to the point.

"Who's your oncologist again?"

We respond. He rubs his face a little.

"She's going to be really happy with these results, and so should you".

He then starts going into medical terminology again (I won't bother transcribing it) but it was painfully slow. I reached out to tap his desk and stop him "Doc, what exactly is the outcome here for all tumors and the lymph nodes".

"There is no evidence of disease in any tumor site, nor was there any evidence of disease in the lymph nodes. While this doesn't mean you are cured, it's the next best thing to it and I'm really really happy to deliver this news to you".

Holy. Shit. The cancer is gone. Only traces of fibrosis where the tumor had been. No living cancer cells found, the chemo totally wiped it out.

At that moment it felt like a 300lb man took his foot off my chest -- by having a pathologic complete response to chemo in both tumors and lymph nodes her 10 year survival rate is over 90% (vs 56% without). Radiation is still happening in January and will be another trial of stamina and stress -- at least we can go into this knowing it's largely preventative and not palliative.

So Merry Christmas to my family, I have a headache from celebrating a bit too much last night. I woke up at 5am like a kid on Christmas morning and took my dogs out for a run in the fresh snow, made a pot of coffee and enjoyed breakfast with my family before heading to work today.

So with that I think I will close this thread out on a good note. Never know what the future is going to bring, but it's a little brighter for us for the forseeable future.

Fuck you cancer!
No.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Congrats on the awesome news.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Fuckin' AWESOME!
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

8-)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hell yes, that is fantastic news man. :csmile:

Fuck cancer, indeed.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Great news for you and the family; happy to hear it. :csmile:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Awesome!
Black Lives Matter.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Teared up reading the good news, mega congratulations! :csmile: :wub:
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

MHS wrote:Teared up reading the good news, mega congratulations! :csmile: :wub:
Glad I wasn't the only one.

That's great news. Merry Christmas (early)! Sounds like the best present you could have asked for.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

MHS wrote:Teared up reading the good news, mega congratulations! :csmile: :wub:
I'll admit, I did too.

Awesome news!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Great news, really appreciated that you shared.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Roman

Post by Roman »

Great Christmas present indeed! Happy for you all.
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Congrats! Very happy news indeed; and I hope it continues!
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Merry Christmas to the whole dang family! So glad to hear it FP!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Always a relief when these threads resurface for good news.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I'll admit I've been selfishly avoiding this thread but I'm glad I checked today.

Congrats on the awesome news!
Rip

Post by Rip »

:occasion-xmas:
morlac

Post by morlac »

:violence-smack: :violence-hammer: (Cancer on the left)

Great news! And thank you for sharing this journey.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Awesome news! And man - the doctor was really playing up the moment with the "Who's your oncologist line". :shock:
Black Lives Matter
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

A suspenseful read with a happy ending. Glad to hear it.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Such great news! Awesome!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Happy Day!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That's wonderful.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Thank you for sharing. Glad to hear the great news!
naednek

Post by naednek »

:dance: :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Congratulations for your wife's success, and best wishes for the next round of treatment.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Great stuff! Congratulations!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Congrats! Great to be able to enjoy the holidays!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Great news! 8-)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

So hopefully the final update of this thread evar.. On Tuesday she finished her last radiation treatment, and has now completed all active therapy. According to the docs she has a "really good chance" of not having to deal with this again due to the complete response + surgery + radiation. All of this has taken it's toll on Amy and I, but we got through it and the recovery process can now fully complete. Some day she says she will want some reconstructive surgery, but for now -- enough fucking doctors. Seriously. They did great work, hope to never see them again.

She's off this weekend on a girls weekend away (Sisters, aunts, friends etc) in wine country -- and I hope they have a great time. Now I just need to figure out what to worry about next -- I've never been one to worry much about anything, but in the past year I've learned how to worry well.

In the meantime, trying to make the best out of every opportunity given -- we've been hiking a lot as a family (especially with the weird ass warm February we are having here..), and saying 'yes' to every invite we get if we don't already have plans (at first I thought we would be really tired from doing this.. ends up we aren't, and enjoy the experiences and company).

So folks that's it, a close brush with a really aggressive cancer and we've bought ourselves time. How much nobody knows, but I'm counting on a lot. In the meantime, fuck cancer. Seriously, it can fuck right off.

Thanks for listening/reading. I don't have many outlets, so this was nice to be able to turn to sometimes.
No.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Thanks for sharing, FP, and congrats on such a great outcome.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'm really thankful you guys had such a successful outcome. I know the process was hellish, but it's awesome to hear you guys have a good future ahead.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

FishPants wrote:So hopefully the final update of this thread evar.. On Tuesday she finished her last radiation treatment, and has now completed all active therapy. According to the docs she has a "really good chance" of not having to deal with this again due to the complete response + surgery + radiation. All of this has taken it's toll on Amy and I, but we got through it and the recovery process can now fully complete. Some day she says she will want some reconstructive surgery, but for now -- enough fucking doctors. Seriously. They did great work, hope to never see them again.

She's off this weekend on a girls weekend away (Sisters, aunts, friends etc) in wine country -- and I hope they have a great time. Now I just need to figure out what to worry about next -- I've never been one to worry much about anything, but in the past year I've learned how to worry well.

In the meantime, trying to make the best out of every opportunity given -- we've been hiking a lot as a family (especially with the weird ass warm February we are having here..), and saying 'yes' to every invite we get if we don't already have plans (at first I thought we would be really tired from doing this.. ends up we aren't, and enjoy the experiences and company).

So folks that's it, a close brush with a really aggressive cancer and we've bought ourselves time. How much nobody knows, but I'm counting on a lot. In the meantime, fuck cancer. Seriously, it can fuck right off.

Thanks for listening/reading. I don't have many outlets, so this was nice to be able to turn to sometimes.
Stories like these are why I love being a nurse.

Congratulations!!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Rip

Post by Rip »

Awesome news.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's fantastic. It cheered me up.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

:dance:

Post by Default »

I have not checked in on this thread in a while, due to some stuff I had to deal with, but holy crap, I am glad Amy is OK. I wish you both the best of health and much happiness.

You fucking rock, dude.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

:happy-jumpeveryone:
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Silver lining to all the craziness in the world. Very happy for you and your family. Best wishes.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon