[Paid Stream] Stargate Origins

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Paid Stream] Stargate Origins

Post by Isgrimnur »

Collider
It was also revealed recently that a reboot of the original Stargate is on the docket for Dean Devlin, Emmerich’s regular producer, and in a new interview with Variety, Devlin talked about how the idea for the reboot came together. This is what he said about the idea of rebooting the story
He went onto say that Stargate, which eventually spun off into some 354 episodes of TV, was originally meant to be a trilogy “and because of what happened with the rights and changes at the studio and all kinds of strange things, we never got to do parts two and three.” This would seemingly be fixed with this next round of Stargate films, which will be written by James A. Woods and Nicolas Wright
Independence Day: Resurgence. Emmerich and Devlin with spearhead the production, with Emmerich still mum on whether or not he will officially be directing the film. Here’s what Devlin had to say about the direction of the reboot, and what it’s like to let someone else take over the concept that he helped originate:

“It’s not a story that can take place 20 years later. So the only way to really tell that trilogy is to go back from the beginning and start the story all over again…It was taken away from us, and it’s tough to have your children raised by other parents, even if they do a very good job. … For us, it’s not putting down what has been done. It’s to let us finish telling our story.”
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Re: [Film] Stargate Reboot

Post by Daehawk »

Im in. I love Stargate.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

At this point I can totally understand a reboot and I am all for it. First off the original actors are too old to pull off their roles, so unless they wanted to revisit the Stargate of old by skipping 30 years then a reboot is the way to go. Im also encouraged by the statement I recently read that Emmerich plans on taking elements from both the original Star Gate movie and from SG-1 as well.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

rshetts2 wrote: Im also encouraged by the statement I recently read that Emmerich plans on taking elements from both the original Star Gate movie and from SG-1 as well.
This is good, because while the movie was good at laying down a creative idea/mythos (that SG-1 modified and added to a great deal to) Im not really a fan of the movie itself and would rather see more of sg-1 in in.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

rshetts2 wrote:At this point I can totally understand a reboot and I am all for it. First off the original actors are too old to pull off their roles, so unless they wanted to revisit the Stargate of old by skipping 30 years then a reboot is the way to go. Im also encouraged by the statement I recently read that Emmerich plans on taking elements from both the original Star Gate movie and from SG-1 as well.
They've also taken the original universe almost as far as it can go. By the end it was more Star Wars than it was 'humans in over their head.' All the bad guys were wiped out. We had FTL vessels. We had mapped the whole Stargate network. We knew all the Secret Origin Of... bits.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Will Claudia Black be in it? If so, I'm in.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoyed the movie far more than the series. I thought it was a fascinating concept that the series went off the rails with.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Never watched the series, was pleasantly surprised by the movie.

And if they could get James Spader and Kurt Russell again?? That would be great, even if just supporting roles.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think Kurt would make a great General Hammond.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Or even someone like James Brolin.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

The thing I liked best about the movie was James Spader's character figuring out how to work that stargate. The idea that this misfit outsider could come in and think outside the box was perfectly done in that movie. It'll be tough for any reboot to do that anywhere near as good. Spader is unique in some ways, you can't just plug any other actor in his place.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that's true, and I think that may be partly why I like the movie as much as I do. Funny thing is, I don't think I've really liked any of his later roles he's been in. But that role was literally perfect for him.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy wrote:Yeah, that's true, and I think that may be partly why I like the movie as much as I do. Funny thing is, I don't think I've really liked any of his later roles he's been in. But that role was literally perfect for him.
I agree.

I just rewatched the season 1 ep 10 The Torment of Tantalus. One of my all time favorite eps. Spader was great in it too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:
Rumpy wrote:Yeah, that's true, and I think that may be partly why I like the movie as much as I do. Funny thing is, I don't think I've really liked any of his later roles he's been in. But that role was literally perfect for him.
I agree.

I just rewatched the season 1 ep 10 The Torment of Tantalus. One of my all time favorite eps. Spader was great in it too.
He wasn't just not great in it, he wasn't in it! They recast Daniel Jackson for the series. It was Michael Shanks, who I also thought did a great job.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

HAHAHAHAH omg...wtf ...I blame my meds haha..geez. Shanks was awesome in it!!!! :)

In my defense go back and look at them both at that time :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No worries - I thought it was the same guy too, as I hadn't seen the film for a couple of years when I first watched the series.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote:
Daehawk wrote:
I agree.

He wasn't just not great in it, he wasn't in it! They recast Daniel Jackson for the series. It was Michael Shanks, who I also thought did a great job.

Ehh yeah lol. For the most part, the entire cast was different. Their characters were maybe a bit different in the series too. Though I'll say one thing about the series. They did great in nabbing Richard Dean Anderson for Kurt's role of O'Neil. I just personally prefer the movie variation of those roles. And I never really got the sense of adventure from the series as I did in the movies.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not sure I ever did see the Showtime episodes with the nudity. because I dont remember nudity in Stargate SG1.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

You clearly havent watched The Blacklist then because while the series can be somewhat of a hot mess at times, Spader is absolutely fantastic in the role of Reddington. And he is nothing like Daniel Jackson in the role so its not a type casting thing.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We tried it but just did not care for it. And wow does he look totally different now.

I also have always confused James Spader with Andrew McCarthy . Again I think its because of the old days as I haven't seen either in decades other than Spaders blacklist character.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

rshetts2 wrote:
You clearly havent watched The Blacklist then because while the series can be somewhat of a hot mess at times, Spader is absolutely fantastic in the role of Reddington. And he is nothing like Daniel Jackson in the role so its not a type casting thing.

No, you're right. I haven't gotten to that one yet. I'm kind of behind on TV. I just got started on the U.S version of Life on Mars.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Rumpy wrote: No, you're right. I haven't gotten to that one yet. I'm kind of behind on TV. I just got started on the U.S version of Life on Mars.
I think you will be sorely disappointed.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I know I'm in the minority, but I was a big fan of SG:U. It's too bad that people didn't seem to get into it...although I heard ratings were actually rising by the end of Season 2.

Hell, they didn't even release Season 2 on Blu-Ray, so you have Season 1 Blu-Ray, but Season 2 DVD :(
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Daehawk wrote:Im not sure I ever did see the Showtime episodes with the nudity. because I dont remember nudity in Stargate SG1.
There was some in the series pilot but after that, not so much.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

As a bit of trivia, Michael Shanks married the woman playing Sha'uri...who happened to be bare-breasted in the pilot. I guess he liked what he saw.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Buatha wrote:
Rumpy wrote: No, you're right. I haven't gotten to that one yet. I'm kind of behind on TV. I just got started on the U.S version of Life on Mars.
I think you will be sorely disappointed.

Loving it so far. It's oozing style, it's well written and a lot of fun, which is more than I can say about a lot of modern cop shows. Surprised it only had one season.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Did you see the UK version? Maybe it was because I saw that first and Harvey didn't sell me on Gene Hunt.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Nope, but I have heard of it being disappointing, only using several sets at most.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We loved Life on Mars. The 70's setting sold it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Announced at SDCC: Stargate Origins.
At Comic-Con, MGM celebrated the 20th anniversary of Stargate by announcing a new TV show in the series: Stargate Origins. Other than a teaser trailer and news that it will serve as a prequel there isn't much info about the show, but we know that to watch it, fans will be asked to subscribe to a new streaming service.
Subscribe to watch Star Trek. Subscribe to watch Stargate. Subscribe to watch Teen Titans.

Pretty soon, watching what's on TV will cost more than cable did before cord cutting began. I guess the studios just really want to boost piracy.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

From what I can tell it will be 10 minute online episodes.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I was hopeful that we were going to get a modern day update of the original Stargate movie followed by a completion of the planned trilogy that never got made. Instead we get this revisionist drek?
Rumpy

Re: [Paid Stream] Stargate Origins

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, agreed :? Very disappointing to hear.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A behind the scenes on some shooting of it.

https://www.stargatecommand.co/feeds/fi ... te-origins
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

New trailer. You can actually see some of the scenes they were shooting in the behind the scenes trailer I posted last time. I still wish they'd made that Stargate MMO.

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

So far i've been enjoying my subscription by watching the old series in reverse order (SGU>Atlantis>SG1) I'm currently on Atlantis at the tail end of season 1.

I will probably watch origins when it is released in a couple of weeks, but not too sure it will hold my interest although I am surprised that they show the Stargate in use. I was under the impression that it was never activated before the first Stargate movie. I hope they aren't retconning it or something.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not sure. They just show it turning and then it opening. The humans may be turning it because thats all they can do. It shows a possible ga'uld but all that could simply being the bad guys opening the now uncovered gate from the other side. The humans may still not get it to work until the 80s :) . But if they do ruin it God help them.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I really miss SGU. I know it wasn't what the current fanbase wanted, but my friends and I really thought that's how what being stranded on the other side of the universe feels like. The first few episodes dealt with shoring up their situation with the air and water issues...it just hit that "we're fooked" vibe.

I digress. I don't know why this can get made since period pieces always seem like they'd cost way more to produce with the vehicles, costumes, locations, etc. However, they will cancel shows that would appear to cost less.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:55 am I will probably watch origins when it is released in a couple of weeks, but not too sure it will hold my interest although I am surprised that they show the Stargate in use. I was under the impression that it was never activated before the first Stargate movie. I hope they aren't retconning it or something.
That was my first impression as well, but it is really easy to explain in a lot of ways. Perhaps what they find is such a threat that they simply decide it must never be spoken of such that nobody else tries to follow in their footsteps. A few destroyed records and everything matches the canon.

/edit - and I do believe that one of the SG1 episodes showed that it had, indeed, been previously opened.
Spoiler:
The guy they sent through got trapped on the other side, and they found him as an elderly man decades later.