the newest ipod has arrived

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Captain Caveman

the newest ipod has arrived

Post by Captain Caveman »

Take a look
The newest member of the iPod family, iPod Photo comes in two sizes: a 40GB model, available for $499, and a capacious 60GB model that sells for $599. Both feature a razor sharp LCD display that lets you see your photos in vivid color — 65,536 colors, to be exact. And with its built-in backlighting, you’ll be able to admire those photos indoors or out.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Do they sell external harddrives that small now too?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Dirt wrote:Do they sell external harddrives that small now too?
There are a few form-factors for hard drives, but AFAIK, nobody is directly selling externals at anything other than 3.5". Folks do make enclosures in which you can place say a notebook HDD (or even a 1" microdrive, I'm assuming). And there is a 2.5" blade server form factor that's growing in market segment...

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
CSL

Post by CSL »

Oh god, I so want an iPod.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

I bought an iPod a couple years back. It's a clunky thing compared to that.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

me want! but me no afford. poor ceekay.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Archos makes small external drives (smaller than 3.5, though the total overall size isn't much smaller than a 3.5" drive). Their JBMM is like the photo iPod but it can read flash media and does video as well (mp4 and Divx. IIRC).

I have two, one has a smashed screen and it works just fine as a portable 20GB drive.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I'm waiting on a 100gig Ipod and lots of money (I bet the Ipod is made before the money is made...) before getting one.
Petey Wheatstraw

Post by Petey Wheatstraw »

$600?!?!?

Hory Clap.
Koz

Post by Koz »

Wonder if this will make the prices of the older models fall, cause I have no use for something that can show me pictures, but I would like a regaular iPod and have been hankering for one recently.
Mookee

Post by Mookee »

WIRELESS CAPABLE, YOU BASTARDS! GIVE ME WIRELESS!!

:)
Mithridates

Post by Mithridates »

I have a Ipod mini and love it a great deal. Although the picture stuff sounds cool, I don't really need it. Maybe when I buy my next player 3-4 years from now. :)
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Petey Wheatstraw wrote:$600?!?!?

Hory Clap.

My last PC cost me $500...!

Why not the 60 GB Nomad Zen for $332?

EDIT - oh, color - well, that's worth twice the price, innit? :roll:
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

I wish these things were Win98 compatible :(
me

Post by me »

As soon as they start suporting other formats like wmv, then maybe I'll consider an iPod. I don't have use for pictures...yet
Jago

Post by Jago »

Koz wrote:Wonder if this will make the prices of the older models fall, cause I have no use for something that can show me pictures, but I would like a regaular iPod and have been hankering for one recently.

Hrmmm......I wonder the same thing....
knob

Post by knob »

Koz wrote:Wonder if this will make the prices of the older models fall, cause I have no use for something that can show me pictures, but I would like a regaular iPod and have been hankering for one recently.

The prices did drop $100 with the last version (The 4th Gen).

I absolutely fucking love my iPod. It's the best purchase I ever made. I got $100 off of it at Crutchfield for signing up for a year of Audible. I'm happy.

The only complaint I have is the lack of file support. I want WMVs at the very least, so I could use Napster.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Archos makes small external drives (smaller than 3.5, though the total overall size isn't much smaller than a 3.5" drive). Their JBMM is like the photo iPod but it can read flash media and does video as well (mp4 and Divx. IIRC).

I have two, one has a smashed screen and it works just fine as a portable 20GB drive.
Where did you pick those up? I can't find that model on Archos' website.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

When I get my next iPod in a year or so (still got quite a bit of room in my third generation 15 GB model).

Risque new ad campaign. :wink:

You won't see iPods which support Windows Media Audio, and certainly not Secure Windows Media Audio (used by Napster et al) because part of Apple's strategy is making Microsoft's media formats less dominant. To my ears, AAC sounds just as good as WMA.

Clearly, since this isn't a video device, WMV is right out. Once Apple does make an iPod Video, it'll be QuickTime, not WMV based.

So long as Apple has dominant unit sales marketshare and overwhelming online music sales market share (70% at present), along with the broadest catalogue of songs and most prevalent mindshare, there's nothing for them to gain by letting the ostensibly "lesser" stores put their music on the iPod.

If iTunes' share falters (its been steady for months now), then trying to cajole the other stores to adopt AAC as an option, or as a last ditch linking PlayFair to WMA and allowing that on the iPod, may become a tenable notion at Apple HQ. But right now, why bother?

Personally, I would like it if Apple could play insecure WMA files, but I don't see any compelling reason for them to do so.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

EngineNo9 wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Archos makes small external drives (smaller than 3.5, though the total overall size isn't much smaller than a 3.5" drive). Their JBMM is like the photo iPod but it can read flash media and does video as well (mp4 and Divx. IIRC).

Where did you pick those up? I can't find that model on Archos' website.
Shop Harmony. The model I have is probably 2 or 3 years old and discontinued. You can still find them but the next gens are better.

Here's the replacement with a bigger screen.

Also, FWIW, they make 20GB 1.8" external HDDs
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

I must chime in the "I want an iPod" winging. Don't need the photo model, but an iPod would be nice all the same.

- Ash
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

A friend of mine sent me some information on another iPod that's for sale...

http://www.airbagindustries.com/bucket/ipod/
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

And once again, the adult entertainment industry score another point in their quest to be available anywhere.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

SuperHiro wrote:And once again, the adult entertainment industry score another point in their quest to be available anywhere.
Hey, you never know when you're going to be stuck in traffic...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Biyobi

Re: the newest ipod has arrived

Post by Biyobi »

Captain Caveman wrote:Take a look
The newest member of the iPod family, iPod Photo comes in two sizes: a 40GB model, available for $499, and a capacious 60GB model that sells for $599. Both feature a razor sharp LCD display that lets you see your photos in vivid color — 65,536 colors, to be exact. And with its built-in backlighting, you’ll be able to admire those photos indoors or out.
CC, I just had to say that seeing the words "Take a look" right next to your avatar had tears streaming down my face and I think I pulled a muscle laughing so hard. :lol: :lol:
Black Lives Matter