Game of Thrones Season 7

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Toe

Re: Game of Thrones Season 7

Post by Toe »

Moliere wrote:5 Awesome Details Fan Noticed In Game of Thrones' S7 Premiere

Wait until you see #3! Just kidding, these are kind of interesting though.
1). I did not notice, but makes sense. Might have been smarter in the long run to capitalize on the Faith's recent leadership loss, rebuilding it to serve her agenda (assume there a lot of followers that were not at the church of course).
2) Seems like a long way to walk from the cave to the castle. But scale might be whacky.
3) I thought that was made fairly obvious through the Hound's dialogue as they rode up. I did recently watch the previous 6 seasons again, so maybe it was not obvious to others.
4) I think its rather silly to assume Weiss and Benioff were trying to troll Martin with this scene since it fits with the Hounds entire redemption line pretty well. i.e. He is doing really the only option available to him in terms of redeeming himself for what he did to them. Would be nuts if they get risen by the white walkers and they eventually end up killing him though.
5) Well since all the risen have blue eyes, that seems a bit of a stretch. But I guess that's what most conspiracy theories are eh?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So did the bitches from Dorne...
Spoiler:
forget how to dip their knives in poison?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Spoiler:
Seems like they didn't have much time to prepare since they were caught off guard. But glad they're gone (for the most part) as they've always been a weak part of the show.
Black Lives Matter
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Not sure why we are using spoiler tags in a thread discussing this current season, but I don't want to ruffle any feathers
Spoiler:
Was that Yara hanging from the bow of that sinking ship or was it two of the sand snakes? I thought it was the Sand Snakes, but I'm seeing people say that one of them was Yara
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

tru1cy wrote:Not sure why we are using spoiler tags in a thread discussing this current season, but I don't want to ruffle any feathers
Spoiler:
Was that Yara hanging from the bow of that sinking ship or was it two of the sand snakes? I thought it was the Sand Snakes, but I'm seeing people say that one of them was Yara
Spoiler:
It was the two dead Sand Snakes.
Hodor.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

tru1cy wrote:Not sure why we are using spoiler tags in a thread discussing this current season
This.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Unsullied no more, amirite?
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I'm under the impression they split their fleet. Part of it (half?) was sailing empty (minus crew and Yara, Theon and the Sand Snakes) to Dorne to pick up their troops and bring them up to Kings Landing. The other part of the fleet is taking the Dothraki and Unsullied to Casterly Rock.

My knowledge of Westeros would suggest the two fleets would take the same general route south to Dorne, but I'm guessing it was just the Dorne group that's toast.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I don't recall hearing that the Dothraki were going to Casterly Rock, just the Unsullied.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:I don't recall hearing that the Dothraki were going to Casterly Rock, just the Unsullied.
Yep. No mention was made for where they would be headed.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Grey Worm may be unsullied no longer, but it's pretty clear he's going to bite it this season, right? You can't just go around professing your love in Westeros and expect to live long.
Black Lives Matter
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Grey Worm may be unsullied no longer, but it's pretty clear he's going to bite it this season, right?
I'm pretty sure we already saw him bite it. :obscene-sexualvlick:

As an aside, OO has some really weird emojis available...
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Well, Dany said that using foreign troops to take Kings Landing would be bad, so the Dothraki aren't going there. Where else could they be? In reserve on Dragonstone? At any rate, I think the only real loss last night were the ships that were to bring the Dornish and whatever troops are loyal to Olenna Tyrell back to Kings Landing. I hope they don't just assume Dorne will sit things out because the Sand snakes are dead/captured, but I'm still annoyed at how they've handled the whole Dorne part of the story.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I love how shows can just ignore things like supply chain and feeding multiple armies, especially all the horses.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Chicks don't dig logistics.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Moliere wrote:I love how shows can just ignore things like supply chain and feeding multiple armies, especially all the horses.
Just a few things.. With the Tyrell's lands basically being the bread basket of Westeros I'm sure they would be fine with supplies and wit Unsullied and Dothraki I'm sure they would fine as well as the Dothraki specially being able to raid for their needs.
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
DD*

Post by DD* »

Well well well, that was interesting. Euron is quite the charmer... and I don't think Jaime was very happy either at King's Landing or after his little conversation with the Tyrells... :)
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's nice to see the show finally give up all pretense that travel is a thing.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

They breed their horses fast in Westeros.

Of course, they never really state how long it is between scenes. One could reasonably argue that weeks occasionally pass between one scene and the next (and definitely between episodes).
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:They breed their horses fast in Westeros.

Of course, they never really state how long it is between scenes. One could reasonably argue that weeks occasionally pass between one scene and the next (and definitely between episodes).
Not this episode. We have a hard in-universe promised limit of a fortnight between Cersei's scene with <spoiler omitted> and the war's end. Implication being that much of what we saw tonight plus a bunch of improbably-timed action from the next few episodes will all take place in far less time than it'd have taken for Grey Worm to get from ep 2 to tonight IRL.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Littlefinger explains how to become a Grandmaster chess player. Damn!
morlac

Post by morlac »

I hate to say it but:

This season beyond a few really good scenes is full of suck. It's a logical mess and feels rushed.
Spoiler:
WTF happened to Varys's vast network of spies, Spider without a web? Did all the scouts get killed? Is anybody paying attention to their enemies movements? Seriously, nobody noticed the Lannister army moving across the country? Or Euron's huge ass fleet, again?

Cersei, is suddenly a tactical and political genius? Years of being a dumbass and I guess the Wildfire helped the light go off for her?

And Just Kill Theon already will ya? He better turn into Azur Ahai or whatever cause dammit he blows and that will be the only thing that saves his lame character arc.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Can't say I disagree with any of your critiques. The season has been entertaining for me in a 'turn your brain off and enjoy the moments we've been anticipating for decades' sort of way. But the required level of critical thinking shut-down has skyrocketed. I guess this is what happens when you decide to further condense the timelines of 2 remaining giant books down to 15 episodes.

We've moved from the first several seasons' occasional use of 'time/distance are mutable concepts' to 'all characters, all the time will use hyperspeed transport to arrive where we need them, when we need them. Physics be damned!'
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

All characters and vehicles travel at the speed of plot.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote:

Not this episode. We have a hard in-universe promised limit of a fortnight between Cersei's scene with <spoiler omitted> and the war's end. Implication being that much of what we saw tonight plus a bunch of improbably-timed action from the next few episodes will all take place in far less time than it'd have taken for Grey Worm to get from ep 2 to tonight IRL.
Not quite. The time limit you reference is two weeks from Cersei's promise to when her debt with the Iron Bank will be resolved (presumably through payment of the debt, though with Cersei you can't rule out resolution by destroying the Iron Bank or whatnot). I assume her plan is to loot the Tyrell reserves and use that money to pay the Iron Bank (or at least to make a significant payment of their debt).

But that wasn't at all a statement that the war would be over within a couple weeks - it was just about the debt.
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

morlac wrote:He better turn into Azur Ahai
Enlarge Image

And other candidates.
morlac

Post by morlac »

The only good part in the last episode is John Snow. He gets it. This whole fight for the crown shit is stupid and a waste of time. Get on with it already :)
Spoiler:
And LOL at Samwise the Maester Surgeon. "I read and followed the instructions." HAHA of course you did and it worked....cause. WTF he just cut of the scales and put some juice on it. That's it. The incurable is cured. Terrible!
Don't read below if you don't want to know how this plays out!
Spoiler:
---Let me guess. Samwise finds the secret to valyrian steel and the history of the Night King in the moldy books he has to rewrite, thus kicking off a quest for the fellowship to go north of the wall to Mordor where they encounter the force ghost of Ned Stark who informs John Snow "I am NOT your father".
I'm being ovelry harsh because it fun but damn if the further they get away from what's been written the worse it has gotten. Can't we just go back to the Arya and Hound road show?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yHoVN0fKwg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-RjNpVMf2M
Last edited by morlac on Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morlac

Post by morlac »

El Guapo wrote:
I assume her plan is to loot the Tyrell reserves and use that money to pay the Iron Bank (or at least to make a significant payment of their debt).

But that wasn't at all a statement that the war would be over within a couple weeks - it was just about the debt.
Spoiler:
Yep that is the plan. In the episode they show her men counting up Gold Bars in a chest as Jamie walks past to go kill the Queen of Thorns.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

morlac wrote:WTF happened to Varys's vast network of spies, Spider without a web?
It's not a perfect explanation, but last season we saw Qyburn in charge of at least a handful of "innocent" little children doing his dirty work... presumably he's inherited some or all of Varys' "little birds" in Westeros.

Otherwise I agree it's annoying how incompetent Danaerys and her court has become while Cersei and company are getting their act together. But I suppose the alternative would make for a boring show. We're well outside the books now but I'm mostly upset at how the Jaime-Cersei relationship has changed.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:

Not quite. The time limit you reference is two weeks from Cersei's promise to when her debt with the Iron Bank will be resolved (presumably through payment of the debt, though with Cersei you can't rule out resolution by destroying the Iron Bank or whatnot). I assume her plan is to loot the Tyrell reserves and use that money to pay the Iron Bank (or at least to make a significant payment of their debt).

Indeed, I was mis-remembering the discussion.

Even so, the timeline liberties have been rather egregious.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Daveman wrote:
morlac wrote:WTF happened to Varys's vast network of spies, Spider without a web?
It's not a perfect explanation, but last season we saw Qyburn in charge of at least a handful of "innocent" little children doing his dirty work... presumably he's inherited some or all of Varys' "little birds" in Westeros.

Otherwise I agree it's annoying how incompetent Danaerys and her court has become while Cersei and company are getting their act together. But I suppose the alternative would make for a boring show. We're well outside the books now but I'm mostly upset at how the Jaime-Cersei relationship has changed.
Good point but Varys has/had a "World Wide Web" reaching all the way across the sea. Maybe they went on holiday? Don't worry it will conveniently deliver some critical news in an episode or two and all will be back to normal. :mrgreen:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:

Indeed, I was mis-remembering the discussion.

Even so, the timeline liberties have been rather egregious.
I mostly agree on that. The thing that's bothering me the most is Euron Greyjoy's superpowers, being able to ambush the Dorne fleet at night on the highwater and then sail all the way around to Casterly Rock to arrive just in time to destroy that fleet too. That's really 90%+ of Cersei's seeming newfound competence - that and Jaime's strategic move, but he's no idiot, so that's plausible enough on his end.

I saw some people speculating after Week 2 whether there was a mole in Danaerys's inner circle, as that would provide a plausible explanation for Euron being able to find the fleet so (seemingly) easily. I'm assuming that they're probably not going to go that route, but it would be interesting if they did.
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo wrote:I mostly agree on that. The thing that's bothering me the most is Euron Greyjoy's superpowers, being able to ambush the Dorne fleet at night on the highwater and then sail all the way around to Casterly Rock to arrive just in time to destroy that fleet too. That's really 90%+ of Cersei's seeming newfound competence - that and Jaime's strategic move, but he's no idiot, so that's plausible enough on his end.

I saw some people speculating after Week 2 whether there was a mole in Danaerys's inner circle, as that would provide a plausible explanation for Euron being able to find the fleet so (seemingly) easily. I'm assuming that they're probably not going to go that route, but it would be interesting if they did.
He's not attacking an inexperienced fleet. He's fighting fellow Iron Isle people who have just as much sailing experience, but apparently he can still sneak up on both of them using sails and appear suddenly right next to them. It's a ridiculous concept for sail driven ships.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I agree that it's mostly ridiculous, but I'm a little less bothered. Euron does have a reputation in the books as being a significant badass in the sailing/pillaging departments, and the Silence is not a typical Greyjoy ship.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also near Casterly Rock it's not clear whether the attackers snuck up on the Unsullied fleet. The attack comes as a surprise to the viewers because we see it from the perspective of Grey Worm, who has been focused on fighting in Casterly Rock and not on what's been going on in the waters outside.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I think the idea in Casterly Rock is that the ships are being run with a skeleton crew as the unsullied have left to fight. I don't think it's a given that Euron was part of that group. He may have split his fleet as well. So I'm okay with that part.

Euron completely taking Yara and Theon by surprise. Yara is supposed to be a badass sailor, too. Yet,

Also, when you have three dragons, the dothraki, and the unsullied how do you not send a dragon escort with each group? Do you need all three with you? Are you worried they will do as much harm as good?
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

EvilHomer3k wrote:Also, when you have three dragons, the dothraki, and the unsullied how do you not send a dragon escort with each group? Do you need all three with you? Are you worried they will do as much harm as good?
Who gets to be the other dragon riders? I would bet Jorah gets that job.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Not sure Euron would let anyone else captain his ship but agree on skeleton crews.

On the dragons....It's a control issue. They need riders or at least her near them for now. Also, as they said in the last episode she is "to important" to go flying off with the Dragons laying waste by herself. I guess everyone forgot the Battle of Meereen....shrug. Just go nuke Euron's fleet with three Dragons and then setup shop out side King's landing. Game over. :D
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

morlac wrote:Not sure Euron would let anyone else captain his ship but agree on skeleton crews.

On the dragons....It's a control issue. They need riders or at least her near them for now. Also, as they said in the last episode she is "to important" to go flying off with the Dragons laying waste by herself. I guess everyone forgot the Battle of Meereen....shrug. Just go nuke Euron's fleet with three Dragons and then setup shop out side King's landing. Game over. :D
She was present at the Battle of Mereen, though. It's unclear whether she has enough control over them to say "go out into the Narrow Sea and destroy Euron's ships". Especially whether she has enough control to prevent them from destroying *any* ships that they found.

Of course, the season trailer had a shot of Jaime riding through what was essentially a field of fire, so I'm guessing that she uses her dragons to nuke Jaime's army in the next episode or two - either she's with the dragons then or she figures out the remote access (or dragon rider situation) to her satisfaction.
Black Lives Matter.