Game of Thrones Season 7

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Game of Thrones Season 7

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thoros kept bringing Beric back. Thoros is now in ashes.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think Davos has a fan base, but he's minor enough that he can die without altering the general direction of the plot. Tormund might bite it though. Maybe Brienne and Zombie Mountain will fight and Tormund will try to help and get smashed.
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I think Davos has a fan base, but he's minor enough that he can die without altering the general direction of the plot. Tormund might bite it though. Maybe Brienne and Zombie Mountain will fight and Tormund will try to help and get smashed.
I think Jorrah has one to. I agree on the Mt. taking out a couple from the Fellowship of the Wight. Though, the way this season is going they probably all live because popular! (I kid, death is coming!) If I had to make guess I would list the following as dead by the end:

Littlefinger: Has to be Sansa. Twist.... Arya does it first but wheres his face to test Sansa's loyalty. Opps sorry sister.

Arya: maybe...see above.

Bron: sacrificing himself to save Tyrion. The fact he didn't go after his gold is a sign.

Davos or Gendry: easy sacrifice that has 'some' weight.

Cersei: Jamie will do it.

Jamie: Saving Brienne (then she can dual wield both swords made from Ice :P )

Theon: Saving John or one of the other Starks. I think he kills Euron first.

Euron: see above.

Beric: like the idea of the Mt. getting him.

The Hound: This one hurts, he's my favorite character. I like the thought of him taking the flaming sword from Beric but will double down on fire. He somehow sets himself on fire (wildfyre?) and takes the Mt. in a bear hug until they both burn to ash. He could steal the line from Excalibur's ending "Come Brother, let us embrace at last". I might actually cry if it goes down like that.

Big one if they have the balls:
Danny and all her Dragons: She can't have any babies and Jon is rightful heir. This would be late next season if not final episode. Plus the appearance of the Dragons and the WW coincided with 'magic' returning to the world. It all goes away at the end.

Bran: I just want him dead. Hoping undead Hodor eats him....poetic justice.

Ok that was fun! I'm probably 100% wrong.
naednek

Post by naednek »

When you have too much time in the trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9III24HWsU
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I had forgotten about him since we haven't seen him in a few episodes, but I bet Grey Worm (or less likely Missandei) die this episode.
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I thoroughly enjoyed the finale. The ending in Winterfell was the only conclusion that made sense to me, so I liked that. The Kings Landing stuff was solid too. The biggest drawback to the episode is having to wait 18 months for the next season.

Are we supposed to believe that Tormund and Beric died when the wall came down? Or were they on the part that stayed up?
DD*

Post by DD* »

Well well well - that was thoroughly enjoyable!
Spoiler:
And fuck you Littlefinger, you cunt! Played around teaching Sansa "the game" but didn't realize she learned it a bit better than you had thought, eh? Bitch.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm guessing they lived, since they weren't shown dying.

Thought it was pretty good,
too. Certainly much better than the last two weeks. I do wish Littlefinger had requested a trial by combat and had to fight Arya.

Also, I was a bit confused: why didn't Zombie Mountain kill Jaime when Cersei gave the order?
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I certainly thought Zombie Mountain was given the order to kill Jaime. I guess he reads her nods better than I do. By the way, how bad to you think the Mountain smells?

I always thought of Littlefinger as a self-serving opportunist. I never thought of him as treasonous though and I could understand why he did everything he did. Well, except for the Arya/Sansa feud attempt. I'm not sure how that would have helped him. Littlefinger of Season 7 deserved to die. Previous Littlefinger, maybe not.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Well everything Sansa accused him of was true. And the fact that Bran could definitely see that Littlefinger betrayed Ned was all they really needed.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Ned put Littlefinger in a bad spot. What was Littlefinger going to do? Side with Ned and die along with him?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

IIRC Ned was counting on Littlefinger to make sure that the guards (the city watch?) sided with him in any confrontation. Instead he made sure that they sided with Cersei. That's the issue, not whether he was personally going to take up a sword or anything.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So the Night King had no way to take down the Wall before, right? So the stupid plan to get the wight, which led Danaerys to fly North to save the crew, is responsible for the destruction of the Wall and the emperilment of all mankind?

That aside, I did enjoy the finale. A couple silly scenes, but mostly solid.
Black Lives Matter.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

El Guapo wrote:IIRC Ned was counting on Littlefinger to make sure that the guards (the city watch?) sided with him in any confrontation. Instead he made sure that they sided with Cersei. That's the issue, not whether he was personally going to take up a sword or anything.
That's what I remember too. But in order to do that Littlefinger would have to put himself in a situation that would most likely end with him dead. I never faulted Littlefinger for that. Nor did I fault him for taking out the Lysa and Robert.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

El Guapo wrote:So the Night King had no way to take down the Wall before, right? So the stupid plan to get the wight, which led Danaerys to fly North to save the crew, is responsible for the destruction of the Wall and the emperilment of all mankind?
I was wondering that myself. But maybe the Giants could've done something like when the Wildlings tried to get over the wall?
Black Lives Matter
DD*

Post by DD* »

I'm sure the WW had other plans to breach the walls, but once they got hold of a dragon, they went with plan D. Sort of like the Allies planning to invade Japan, but instead when given the option to nuke them, well... Say hello to the Fat Man.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

DD* wrote:I'm sure the WW had other plans to breach the walls, but once they got hold of a dragon, they went with plan D. Sort of like the Allies planning to invade Japan, but instead when given the option to nuke them, well... Say hello to the Fat Man.
Exactly.

And for those thinking Littlefinger dies if he sides with Ned... The show takes an entirely different turn if he sides with Ned. All bets are off.

Loved this episode. The contrivences felt much more acceptable. Even if most of us called many of the surprises, boy was it fun to watch them play out.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I agree. This episode was much better.

I don't know that Littlefinger dies if he sides with Ned. I just think the odds are heavily against him surviving and he's not one to go against the odds.

One thing I noticed was that Cersei didn't drink the wine. Is it because she's pregnant? Did they really think a glass of wine was bad for a fetus in Westeros?
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I think the wine thing was a combo of Joffrey getting poisoned and the queen of thorns, so the symbolism behind Tyrion getting her a glass provided a "Do you really think I'd drink that?" moment.

I loved the episode. Just seeing all of them looking awkwardly at each other, given the years of build up to this, was awesome. All the little meetings and them reuniting was far more satisfying than I could have hoped. I especially liked that all along their oracle has obviously been filling them in. What use would he be if he had been so quiet and obtuse about things as it seemed until this episode?

On the Jaime/Mountain thing, I thought her nod was more of signal to the Mountain to 'get ready'. He seems to pull on his sword only when someone threatens to get near her, otherwise she has to give the order. Plus we saw earlier in the episode how she preps him before a meeting. I bet she told the Mountain something like "I'm gonna nod like I want you to kill him but I don't, unless of course I do and I'll give you the order".
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Really enjoyed that episode. A few random thoughts:

1. Watching Littlefinger go out like that was amazing. I let out an actual cheer when Sansa asked "How do you plead...Lord Baelish?". Everything about that scene was perfect.
2. Really interested to see how both Jon and Dany react to the news of his heritage. Putting aside the "ew" factor, I can't imagine that she's simply going to step aside and let him take over.
3. I was relieved to see Cersei is still a bitch. For a moment, I thought that Tyrion was actually able to sway her, which seemed awfully out of character.
4. Sam's "I don't know what that means" comment was funny.
5. Outside of being symbolic, I'm not sure that Jamie switching sides brings any actual advantage. Unless he's coming with an army (which he doesn't appear to be), all he really brings is intel that they likely already have.
6. Killing Tormund and Beric just feels like a huge waste. It mostly felt like the writers went "well, the audience is expecting someone to die. ::spins wheel:: These two!"
7. Didn't Amelia Clarke make a huge stink a couple years ago about not doing any more nude scenes?
McNutt wrote:One thing I noticed was that Cersei didn't drink the wine. Is it because she's pregnant? Did they really think a glass of wine was bad for a fetus in Westeros?
The wine thing really distracted from that scene, imo. I kept waiting for Tyrion to keel over.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Sadly, we'll have to wait 18 months for the finale season, but I thought this was a good way to go out. It will be interesting to see how the dynamic change once Aegon finds out the truth.

Btw, I call it now Dany is pregnant with the Prince that is promised

Also, anyone have an idea why Tyrion might have a problem with Dany and Jon/Aegon having a relationship? He looked pretty worried outside her room
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

tru1cy wrote:Also, anyone have an idea why Tyrion might have a problem with Dany and Jon/Aegon having a relationship? He looked pretty worried outside her room
I'm thinking it's because he just had his Cersei conversation about her kids colored all her previous actions, and how baby-to-be is coloring her current actions, so now he's troubled by how a Dany-child might change the personality of the queen he believes in.

Also, since in earlier episodes he's already shown he's thinking about lines of succession at the end of Dany's reign, maybe he was excited about the idea of rule being passed in some way other than bloodline. Or maybe he's just worried about another Mad King Aerys being born.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote:I'm thinking it's because he just had his Cersei conversation about her kids colored all her previous actions, and how baby-to-be is coloring her current actions, so now he's troubled by how a Dany-child might change the personality of the queen he believes in.
Also, he just got done yelling at Jon for going with his heart rather than his head.
Also, since in earlier episodes he's already shown he's thinking about lines of succession at the end of Dany's reign, maybe he was excited about the idea of rule being passed in some way other than bloodline. Or maybe he's just worried about another Mad King Aerys being born.
In fact, he said exactly that. I mean, passing down leaders by bloodline is literally a huge part of 'the wheel.'
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Skinypupy wrote:1. Watching Littlefinger go out like that was amazing. I let out an actual cheer when Sansa asked "How do you plead...Lord Baelish?". Everything about that scene was perfect.
Agreed. While having Sansa and Arya secretly working against Littlefinger was predictable, it was still enjoyable. Phenomenal acting from Littlefinger there. The little double-take he does when he realizes the gravity of the situation was incredible. I would like to know if the Stark children had been planning this all along, or did Sansa piece it together at the end? I think one of the fatal errors Littlefinger made was he misunderstood Arya's motivations. He tried to lead Sansa to believe that Arya wants to be Lady of Winterfell. But that has never been her motivation, and Sansa knew that.
3. I was relieved to see Cersei is still a bitch. For a moment, I thought that Tyrion was actually able to sway her, which seemed awfully out of character.
Her agreeing to a truce felt like the right tactical move to me. She can't hope to defeat Jon and Dany with their current armies. Her only hope is to have the Night King ravage their forces, and leave them weak enough for her to take out. So I knew something was up when she said she would go and fight for them. Maybe Tyrion didn't see it as a trap because he was surprised that he got out of that room alive.
5. Outside of being symbolic, I'm not sure that Jamie switching sides brings any actual advantage. Unless he's coming with an army (which he doesn't appear to be), all he really brings is intel that they likely already have.
Pure character growth. He's been slowly trying to get his honor back over the years. Now here he turns his back on his queen, the woman he loves, and the mother of his children because he "gave his word". The writers must have an idea for him in the final season, because that would have been the perfect place for him to die. I don't know what that could be though. He isn't the fighter he used to be, and it doesn't look like he will have any troops to command in the fight. Maybe they are just keeping him around to fulfill Cersei's prophecy.
6. Killing Tormund and Beric just feels like a huge waste. It mostly felt like the writers went "well, the audience is expecting someone to die. ::spins wheel:: These two!"
Are we sure they are dead? I couldn't tell, because they didn't specifically show them dying. They could still be up on the part of the wall that is standing, and if that's the case we'll see them making the trek down to Castle Black to warn the others.
7. Didn't Amelia Clarke make a huge stink a couple years ago about not doing any more nude scenes?
Yes, but I'm pretty sure this isn't her first nude scene since saying she was done with them.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I don't think Tormund is dead; the last scene he's in he had moved to a part of the wall that wasn't falling. Plus, clearly they need a scene where he discovers that Brienne has the hots for Jaime.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

tru1cy wrote: Btw, I call it now Dany is pregnant with the Prince that is promised
Another mad one, no doubt, because....cue the banjos.

BTW, my wife, an infrequent watcher of the show (this was maybe the second episode this season she watched) laughed hard much of the show. She found much of the dialog slap-stick funny, especially with her recollections of the various characters.

And Littlefinger since Season 1 deserved to die. Not only his betrayal of Ned, but what he did to the Arryns.
Last edited by Jeff V on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

She never said she was done with them, contrary to click-bait headlines at the time.
The Game of Thrones star dismissed a widely circulated Daily Mail report claiming to quote the actress at a party, saying the Emmy nominee “can’t stand” sex scenes and that they “should be more subtle.”

Taking to Instagram, Clarke explained: “I was followed into a party by a journalist who asked me a question about female empowerment and then quoted me entirely out of context for an outlet I didn’t agree to speak with. So I feel now, with the beauty of Instagram I should clarify my statements, if for nothing else than for posterity. In drama, if a nude scene forwards a story or is shot in a way that adds insight into characters, I’m perfectly fine with it. Sometimes explicit scenes are required and make sense for the characters/story, as they do in Westeros. If it’s gratuitous for gratuitous sake, then I will discuss with a director on how to make it more subtle. In either case, like a good Mother of Dragons, I’m always in control.”
I think this one qualifies as meeting her criteria as 'OK.'
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I don't think Tormund is dead; the last scene he's in he had moved to a part of the wall that wasn't falling. Plus, clearly they need a scene where he discovers that Brienne has the hots for Jaime.
The funny part being that when they're skeedaddling away along the wall, the wight-fire is clearly on the right-hand side of the wall, indicating that they're skeedaddling toward the Narrow Sea side. There is no part of the wall still standing in that direction--it fell right into the sea.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Zaxxon wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I don't think Tormund is dead; the last scene he's in he had moved to a part of the wall that wasn't falling. Plus, clearly they need a scene where he discovers that Brienne has the hots for Jaime.
The funny part being that when they're skeedaddling away along the wall, the wight-fire is clearly on the right-hand side of the wall, indicating that they're skeedaddling toward the Narrow Sea side. There is no part of the wall still standing in that direction--it fell right into the sea.
I rewatched the scene just now, and at various points the wight-fire is on the right side of the wall, the left side, and the bottom. It didn't look clear which way Tormund was running.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
I rewatched the scene just now, and at various points the wight-fire is on the right side of the wall, the left side, and the bottom. It didn't look clear which way Tormund was running.
Me, too. And no, at around the 3:00 mark in the video, the flame is clearly on the right. It's also consistent with the viewpoint selection of Viserion in the intercut scenes. They either fell down with the wall, or we have another shitty Jaime non-death scene on our hands. I actually agree with you and lean toward the 2nd. But the scene absolutely suggests they're goners.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Looks like WIC agrees with my reading. Still, I'd like to be wrong.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I don't think there's a chance in hell that they were killed. That's exactly how the book would have handled it, with the understanding that these characters died. The show though. . .no chance they handle a death that way.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Zaxxon wrote:Looks like WIC agrees with my reading. Still, I'd like to be wrong.
I agree with what you saw at the 3:00 mark; it does look like they were on the water side. I predict a season 8 episode 1 hand bursting out of the ice rubble and our heroes pulling themselves out gasping for breath but otherwise in good shape for the season.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Looks like WIC agrees with my reading. Still, I'd like to be wrong.
I agree with what you saw at the 3:00 mark; it does look like they were on the water side. I predict a season 8 episode 1 hand bursting out of the ice rubble and our heroes pulling themselves out gasping for breath but otherwise in good shape for the season.
Sadly, I think you're probably right.

Man, I really hope GRRM finishes the series as I really want to see how much of the bullshit we've seen the past two seasons has been GRRM vs DB/D.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I rewatched the video as well, and I'm pretty sure Tormund is running towards the direction of safety. When the dragon shows up, he and Beric begin running to the west. There are plenty of other shots from various perspectives that make it confusing, but I think the dragon stays on the north side of the wall throughout the attack. When we last see Tormund, he turns around to see the wall collapsing, but his back is to the west at this point.

I'm going to assume that Tormund and Beric made it out of there alive, and will be the ones to warn the north that the wall has fallen.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

We entered that scene via a congress of ravens, courtesy of Ole Bran. The North knows the wall has fallen.
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

El Guapo wrote:So the Night King had no way to take down the Wall before, right? So the stupid plan to get the wight, which led Danaerys to fly North to save the crew, is responsible for the destruction of the Wall and the emperilment of all mankind?

That aside, I did enjoy the finale. A couple silly scenes, but mostly solid.
I think gaining the dragon sped up the Night King's timetable. He didn't need to bring down the wall. He only needed to get through it. And the Wildlings have shown us already that it's possible.

Once he got the dragon, though, the wall was just not a concern any longer.

EDIT to add: Those big-ass chains they used to haul up the dragon? Yeah - those were for the wall. They were gonna pull down the gates. They couldn't have had any clue they were gonna need to dredge up a dragon corpse.
Last edited by GargoyleBoy on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

msteelers wrote: Are we sure they are dead? I couldn't tell, because they didn't specifically show them dying. They could still be up on the part of the wall that is standing, and if that's the case we'll see them making the trek down to Castle Black to warn the others.
Fairly certain Beric Dondarrion is not dead. the Lord of Light didn't resurrect him 6 times to have him die off-screen on the wall.

We're gonna see that flaming sword again.
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

#YossarianLives

#TormundLives
It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Zaxxon wrote:We entered that scene via a congress of ravens, courtesy of Ole Bran. The North knows the wall has fallen.
Good point.
Spoiler:
I still think Tormund is alive though.