[movie] Justice League (2017)

Post by Smoove_B »

Trailer premiered at Comic Con.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Re: [movie] Justice League (2017)

Post by Blackhawk »

Giggity.

I'll watch the trailer again to determine whether it looks good, but so far I've just had the 'Hey, that's Cyborg in a film!' watching.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm still not sold on Khal Curry. And the actor playing Barry Allen just seems wrong too. Don't get me wrong, I thought he was great in We Need to Talk About Kevin, but he's just too emo for the character. Marvel does a fantastic job of casting actors who look the part. DC, not so much.
Covfefe!
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Wait. So Aquaman, the King of the Sea, who can speak with fish and call on their help, goes to a village in the winter and brings a bunch of fish to their deaths in order to feed the people? What a dick!

I am on board with Momoa as Aquaman though.

I'm not sure I like Cyborg's armor. Seems to have a whole lot of polygons in there. But that's nitpicking. Overall it has me intrigued. I'm almost definitely going to be watching the Wonder Woman movie in summer 2017 so I'm sure I'll go see Justice League as well. I heard the extended edition of Batman vs. Superman was a lot better than the original and I need to give that a watch.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They try to add a bit more to the Darkseid foreshadowing, and they flesh out Lex "Giggles" Luthor's plot to frame Supes a bit more...which was nice since it was kind of rushed in the theatrical release. But most of the additional material will leave you with more questions than answers unless you're a DC fan.

I watched it last night and it struck me how awful the dialog is in this film. Example: the narration at the start of the film actually includes the line, "Those who fall are fallen."

Seriously? And I suppose those who are driving are the driven. And those who live are the living.

Also, I laughed out loud at a scene towards the end of the film where a mysterious power outage causes all the lights to go out in the Daily Planet building, and less than 2 seconds after they go out, some guy screams, "We gotta get out of here!".

Usually, when the power goes out in my apartment, my first thought isn't, "I gotta run!" :lol:
Covfefe!
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I enjoyed the trailer. I've had little interest in Snyder's DC films thus far, but I liked what I saw. Going to wait and see if the tone of the film is actually lighter, or if it was just the trailer cut that way.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Word is that Snyder's control over the films' 'vison' has been reigned in after the reaction to BvS.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

cheeba wrote:I'm not sure I like Cyborg's armor. Seems to have a whole lot of polygons in there. But that's nitpicking.
Looking carefully, the polygons seem intentional. His armor is sort of faceted, a bit like stealth aircraft, and the facets seem to move individually. That may play into his traditional ability to alter his body (turn his arm into a cannon, for instance.)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Blackhawk wrote:Word is that Snyder's control over the films' 'vison' has been reigned in after the reaction to BvS.
Yeah. They actually hired someone (possibly multiple someone's) to oversee all of the DC extended universe, ala Kevin Feige at Marvel.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Just watched the trailer. That was MUCH better than I was expecting.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

That looked really good, they've definitely lightened the tone, and successfully, I'd say.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
stessier

Post by stessier »

Your new Commissioner Gordon. Batman who???
Spoiler:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Wow, I'm the first to post the latest trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cxixDgHUYw

Looks good but still crossing my fingers.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

That like all the DC trailers looks really great! The movie might be crap but the trailer is pretty solid. That said, I don't wish the movie any ill will. I didn't know what to expect from Aquaman but I like the interpretation and I'm cheering for Wonder Woman and hope that will be a good movie when it comes out.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That trailer actually made me more certain that this is gonna suck hard. :(
Covfefe!
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I still have hopes for The Justice League but for crying out loud would somebody go buy Snyder a frikkin color palette? How has this man not yet figured out that bleaching the color out of his entire movie just makes the whole movie feel depressing and well... colorless? That style was a one trick pony. It worked as a visual gimmick once but after that, not so much. I hate to say it but I hope that even if Justice League is a success, Snyder steps down and lets them go a new direction.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

rshetts2 wrote:I still have hopes for The Justice League but for crying out loud would somebody go buy Snyder a frikkin color palette? How has this man not yet figured out that bleaching the color out of his entire movie just makes the whole movie feel depressing and well... colorless? That style was a one trick pony. It worked as a visual gimmick once but after that, not so much. I hate to say it but I hope that even if Justice League is a success, Snyder steps down and lets them go a new direction.
THIS... IS... GREYSCALE!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You missed a prime opportunity to loop in Masters of the Universe instead.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I did not like the Flash costume, and though I'm a fan of the TV series, the movie actor doesn't bother me. I like the Batman costume, with the large bat on the front, a lot. Ok with Affleck in the role. Like WW and Aquaman. Any Justice League needs Superman, IMO. And it looks like we're getting Darkseid and company as villains? Is that true? If so, that's a major turn-off for me. Bores me to tears.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

This looks pretty... bad, to me. I actually liked Man of Steel. Haven't bothered to see Dawn of Justice. Despite intending to give him the benefit of the doubt, I'm just not interested in seeing Affleck as Batman. None of these characters are appealing or interesting to me with the exception of Mamoa's Aquaman and perhaps Wonder Woman, but we'll see how her solo film goes and whether she's more than just the DC film universe's Captain America.

I think it's still probably a pretty obvious mistake to make the team-up movie before introducing most of the other characters in solo films. As tired as most of us probably are of origin stories, I'm going to find it hard to care about most of these characters otherwise.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Honestly, I loved the trailer, but then again I'm not the best judge. I'm admittedly biased, and I'm the type that can enjoy an imperfect movie if it has the right content. I actually laughed out loud at the bit at the end with Aquaman on the Batmobile.

And Snyder isn't so much stepping down as he has (already) been pulled way back and a new person was put in charge - Geoff Johns, who actually has a clue about the DC characters. This is the last film that Snyder is slated to direct, the last he had a hand in writing, and he's only even a producer on one more (Aquaman), along with the aforementioned Johns. Aquaman, unlike this and Wonder Woman, was well into production before that change went into effect, so hopefully his influence will fade after this year.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Baroquen wrote:Any Justice League needs Superman, IMO. And it looks like we're getting Darkseid and company as villains? Is that true? If so, that's a major turn-off for me. Bores me to tears.
Superman is kind of occupied right now with
Spoiler:
being dead.
Yeah, it is Darkseid (or at least he's in charge.) That was an army of parademons, and that was a mother box.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:I still have hopes for The Justice League but for crying out loud would somebody go buy Snyder a frikkin color palette? How has this man not yet figured out that bleaching the color out of his entire movie just makes the whole movie feel depressing and well... colorless? That style was a one trick pony. It worked as a visual gimmick once but after that, not so much. I hate to say it but I hope that even if Justice League is a success, Snyder steps down and lets them go a new direction.
THIS... IS... GREYSCALE!
:lol:
Covfefe!
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Blackhawk wrote:
Baroquen wrote:Any Justice League needs Superman, IMO. And it looks like we're getting Darkseid and company as villains? Is that true? If so, that's a major turn-off for me. Bores me to tears.
Superman is kind of occupied right now with
Spoiler:
being dead.
Yeah, it is Darkseid (or at least he's in charge.) That was an army of parademons, and that was a mother box.
Oh really? Yeah, I haven't followed movie continuity w/ Snyder's films and all. Yeah... that's a realistic obstacle. :D

I enjoy Darkseid at times, but all of the New Gods/Apokolips/Kirby stuff just leaves me cold. I enjoyed the LoSH Great Darkness Saga a lot, but that's very off-topic.

Anyway, not overwhelmed by this trailer. Will see how things develop as we get closer.
DD*

Post by DD* »

As $iljanus noted above, this - like pretty much all DC trailers - looks pretty damn good. I'm not a DC guy at all and have only a passing knowledge of the Universe and its various widgets and whatnots. That being said, this - along with WW - looks really good to me.

Of course, so did the trailer for Suicide Squad, aka the Long Walk to Nowhere. Hoping DC can finally turn it around and make a movie worthy of the trailer.

Other thoughts - something I never thought I'd write: Batfleck was the best thing about "Dawn of Justice." I thought he really did a great job (within the generally 'meh' script). WW was a close second. Supes was just so 2-dimensional that I couldn't give two shits about him as a character. Completely uninteresting. And don't get me started on "Gigglely Lex" which is the worst re-think of a character I've ever seen. Horrid.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

DD* wrote:Supes was just so 2-dimensional that I couldn't give two shits about him as a character. Completely uninteresting.
I watched "The Man from UNCLE", and it made me hate "Dawn of Justice" even more. Cavill is so damn likeable in UNCLE, and so boring as Superman.

Snyder is the worst.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That looks absolutely horrendous. And I say that as a huge DC fan.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

msteelers wrote:
DD* wrote:Supes was just so 2-dimensional that I couldn't give two shits about him as a character. Completely uninteresting.
I watched "The Man from UNCLE", and it made me hate "Dawn of Justice" even more. Cavill is so damn likeable in UNCLE, and so boring as Superman.

Snyder is the worst.
Oh thank god, I thought I was the only one who liked him in Man from UNCLE.
Covfefe!
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

hepcat wrote:
msteelers wrote:

Snyder is the worst.
Oh thank god, I thought I was the only one who liked him in Man from UNCLE.
You guys aren't alone. The guy has the charisma to sell a more Christopher Reeve-like Kent/Supes but Snyder insists on stoneface.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I predict Flash steals the movie. He is the coolest super hero...other than Batman of course in it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Sudy Nym wrote:I think it's still probably a pretty obvious mistake to make the team-up movie before introducing most of the other characters in solo films. As tired as most of us probably are of origin stories, I'm going to find it hard to care about most of these characters otherwise.
The most aggravating part to me is that they can do individual movies that don't have to be origin stories. Here's this guy in the water, Aquaman, and here he is doing Aquaman things- there's your movie. No one really cares how he became Aquaman, he just is.

I enjoyed the Dirty Harry movie just fine without having to see a previous movie explaining his character. I enjoyed Apocalypse Now without seeing a previous movie showing Capt Willard's initial adventures in Vietnam. I would enjoy a Flash movie without even needing to know how he became The Flash.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was thinking Jason Momoa was a good choice as Aquaman but just now seeing pics of Lobo and hearing it is in the works I think he would make the PERFECT Lobo.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, Stargate: Atlantis tells us he can pull off the dreads.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Blackhawk wrote:Well, Stargate: Atlantis tells us he can pull off the dreads.
Hah, I never made that connection!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

In tragic news, Joss Whedon has taken over post production on Justice League due to the suicide of one of Zack Snyder's children.
Hodor.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Yeah, that is horrible news for Mr. Snyder. I'm no fan of his work, but this is certainly not the way I would want to see him step away. Suicide is a hell of tragedy for the victim's surviving loved ones.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
DD*

Post by DD* »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:Yeah, that is horrible news for Mr. Snyder. I'm no fan of his work, but this is certainly not the way I would want to see him step away. Suicide is a hell of tragedy for the victim's surviving loved ones.
What a horrible situation. My condolences to Mr. Snyder :(
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Good Lord, that's horrible. I didn't even realize he had adult children...or that he had eight kids. :shock:
Covfefe!
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

New footage is up in you tube from SDCC if you've not seen it yet.

There is a line in the trailer I don't understand

Spoiler in abundance of caution
Spoiler:
Superman was more than a superhero. He was a beacon of hope for the world (as close as I can remember it). Umm.. which Earth are we talking about? One of the biggest problems I had with Man of Steel and BvS was the "beacon of hope" part was no where in those movies. Superman in Supergirl (CW) got it better.
Other than that.... it was alright, I guess. I am more optimistic after Wonder Woman, so fingers crossed.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

New trailer is out. Still meh, but after seeing WW, I'll probably watch anything with Gal Gadot.

And why is the whole thing so...red?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.