[movie] Justice League (2017)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tgb

Re: [movie] Justice League (2017)

Post by tgb »

Skinypupy wrote:New trailer is out. Still meh, but after seeing WW, I'll probably watch anything with Gal Gadot.

And why is the whole thing so...red?
Probably because that hack, Snyder, is tired of tinting everything blue. Either way odds are it will be both headache-inducing and unwatchable.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote:
And why is the whole thing so...red?
I'm guessing that it is an Apokalips thing. Smallville (spoilers) did that in red, too. So did the DC Animated Universe. So did the source material:
Spoiler:

The precedent is there. How much is Snyder, I don't know. Hopefully Whedon and DC edited as much of him out as they could.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
tgb

Post by tgb »

I just realized this guy

is supposed to be Aquaman. The fuck he is. Are they sure it's not Aqualung?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

DC wants to be "edgy" so they sacrifice a lot of what made the comics work in favor of the easy route.
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I'm not sure that bright orange, skin-tight scale mail was "what made the comics work." I really like the movie Aquaman's visual design, although I'm not so enthusiastic about his character moments in the trailers. Apparently this Aquaman's vocabulary is limited to "Oh yeah!," "My man!," and other surfer versions of "Yee haw!"
tgb

Post by tgb »

I still say it hews a little too closely to this.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That actually looks even more like the comics Aquaman.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Most of the characters have had major costume changes over the years, and their newer costumes are well suited to conversion to live action. We don't see Flash in a winged doughboy or Cyborg with a chrome garter belt. Superman isn't wearing strongman tights, and Batman has his underwear back on the inside of his pants. Aquaman had the misfortune to not have had his costume updated much since the original golden age designs, and it doesn't translate as well, although there have been a few pictures of a gold and green armored suit circulating for a while that looks much closer to the traditional look. There have been several versions of the character with a beard.

The thing that stands out the most is the dark hair, but if Daredevil can be a non-redhead, Aquaman can be a non-blonde.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:56 pm I'm not sure that bright orange, skin-tight scale mail was "what made the comics work." I really like the movie Aquaman's visual design, although I'm not so enthusiastic about his character moments in the trailers. Apparently this Aquaman's vocabulary is limited to "Oh yeah!," "My man!," and other surfer versions of "Yee haw!"

I wasn’t talking about the outfit only. Up until Wonder Woman brought back a sense of optimistism and altruism, most of Snyder’s DC universe has displayed a level of cynicism and self centered behavior that is the antithesis of what made the comics great in many cases. Dothraki Aquaman is just an extension of that.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Maybe, but the big difference going forward is that there is no "Snyder's DC universe."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I hope so. I really hope so. But I fear it may be too late for DC’s foray into the live action franchise. Although I never thought Marvel could pull it off successfully. That they’ve done so with some truly good films to boot just goes to show why I’m not a studio head. :D
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I hope so, too. I'm a die-hard DC fan and a movie optimist, but I'm well aware that most of DC's stuff so far has been a little bleh. We won't know until a film or two after Justice League, though.
DD*

Post by DD* »

And early reviews are.... not promising. As of this writing it is at 51 on Metacritic with 31 critic reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/justice-league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
tgb

Post by tgb »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:56 pm I hope so. I really hope so. But I fear it may be too late for DC’s foray into the live action franchise. Although I never thought Marvel could pull it off successfully. That they’ve done so with some truly good films to boot just goes to show why I’m not a studio head. :D
I thought it was because you kept insisting that Lucas cast Bea Arthur as Leia.
stessier

Post by stessier »

DD* wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:11 pm And early reviews are.... not promising. As of this writing it is at 51 on Metacritic with 31 critic reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/justice-league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm still going to see it (haven't read the reviews). Gadot was just too good in WW. I'm sure at least her part will be entertaining.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

I sat through and made it to the end of Wild Wild West, I think I can manage a viewing of Justice League.
I really don't see it being that bad of a fucked up movie. Slightly maybe but not 100% fucked up.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

To avoid getting stuck for hours in traffic jam, my wife and I watched Justice League yerterday after work.

I think it is better than MoS or BvS but not as good as Marvel's superheroes team up movies.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I didn't bother to watch Batman vs. Superman. I did like Justice League, saw it today at noon.

Somehow, this ensemble movie feels like... a pale imitation of Avengers mixed with Civil War. Flash is basically doing Spiderman's role in Civil War, cracking jokes as "the kid", and they're also fighting bajillion bad guys who can fly (like Avengers). This movie basically did too much in a single movie: be the origin story of Aquaman, Cyborg, AND (to a lesser degree, Flash) AS WELL as introduce the big baddie and the thing-a-majig McGuffin. It's okay, but it's nowhere close to match Marvel.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:21 pm Flash is basically doing Spiderman's role in Civil War, cracking jokes as "the kid", and they're also fighting bajillion bad guys who can fly (like Avengers).
I haven't seen it yet, but be fair that's always been Flash's role, especially since the Crisis storyline. Barry/Wally has always served as the League's lighthearted element to contrast all of the super-serious characters.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Fair point. But having Avengers came out so many years ahead (2012!) really did make Justice League an "also-ran".
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I agree. In the comics, Marvel has historically followed behind DC. In the films, it's the other way around. They're following in some big footsteps, and it hurts them.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

When a movie gets a 40 from critics and an 86 from viewers, on RT, you have to wonder if the critics have some kind of agenda against the DCEU. I'll likely go see this next week and from what Ive read, it sounds like a fun movie with a few flaws, so with tempered expectations I'll go see it with an open mind.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

rshetts2 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:11 pm When a movie gets a 40 from critics and an 86 from viewers, on RT, you have to wonder if the critics have some kind of agenda against the DCEU.
Or maybe the audience skews heavily to forgiving fans. If it does poorly at the box office, it's only reaching its core audience.

I'm lukewarm toward superhero flicks in general and it's a tossup whether this one will make my netflix queue.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:21 pm This movie basically did too much in a single movie: be the origin story of Aquaman, Cyborg, AND (to a lesser degree, Flash) AS WELL as introduce the big baddie and the thing-a-majig McGuffin. It's okay, but it's nowhere close to match Marvel.
I kept trying to remember if I missed something in BvS, since I had trouble following the origin stories (or lack thereof). It was a fun movie, I liked it, but it was mostly just okay.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:25 am I agree. In the comics, Marvel has historically followed behind DC. In the films, it's the other way around. They're following in some big footsteps, and it hurts them.
Always bought and read Marvel as a kid. ROM, Xmen, Micronauts.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm way more excited about the Arrowverse Crossover than Justice League...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The movie isn’t horrible, it’s just mediocre at best. The god awful cover of a Leonard Cohen classic that opened JL seemed to be telling everyone “you’re in for a cheap knock off a film too”. And it was true. They heavily copied the Avengers and, in a surprising turn of events, Lord of the Rings.

Aquaman annoyed me, Cyborg was more interesting than I expected, Flash was...well...comic relief, Bats was less murdery and WW was just as good as she usually is.

If it weren’t for the popularity of WW, I’d say the franchise should just be allowed to die at this point.

And this is coming from a DC fan.
Last edited by hepcat on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'll be seeing it with the kids on Saturday. I don't expect a great film, although I expect to like it as a big DC fan. I don't want it to die at this point, though. They've just about flushed the Snyder out of their system. I want to see what they can do with him gone.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

hentzau wrote:I'm way more excited about the Arrowverse Crossover than Justice League...
Sigh... if I didn't want to see both, I'd say you need to see a shrink. Though I do fully expect world-x to have shark repellent spray and dehydrated people.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I saw it Tuesday and enjoyed it.

There were no origin stories, well except for the mother boxes. Basically the new kids got about as much origin as you saw in Spider-man: Homecoming... "You were bit by a spider?"
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Just saw it, the critics are right, but I still enjoyed it a lot. I don't know that it was intentional, but the thematic lightening of the franchise through finding peers and their own humanity worked as a projection for the whole DCEU future.
CGI Steppenwolfe is inexcusable. At least use some legit motion capture. Flash steals the show even when he's over the top and obnoxious, wonder woman is super solid, I heart Batfleck, Aquaman was a cool dude but way to brotastic, I liked cyborg despite B-team CGI.
I guess it's a spoiler, really?
Spoiler:
I like new superman, he's gonna save kittens, but it also makes clear why finding conflict in superman and making excuses for why he doesn't constantly just clear the board of villains is tricky, and I appreciate his growth across the trilogy more now. It's almost like trying to relate to a godlike alien. :o
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
DD*

Post by DD* »

The boy and I saw it this afternoon. Enjoyed it, but can't say it was a knockout. Much better than BvS - no one crying about Martha, anyway.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just got back. I really liked it. The kids really liked it, as did both of the people I went with (and they're Marvel people - one even said they preferred it to the new Thor.) Of course, I'm still a DC fan, so I'm biased and know it.

Some bits I disliked:

Steppenwolf's CGI
Flash's lightning was the wrong color (nerdpicking)
Spoiler:
No Darkseid - I expected a Thanos-like teaser, but there was no indication that Steppenwolf was tied to any larger force, save for a single name drop in a context that wouldn't even be recognized as a name by someone who didn't already know.
Stuff I liked:
Cyborg
Spoiler:
I originally disliked Cyborg's angular armor, but they both addressed that and fixed it at the very end. It was just angular because he was still new to it and hadn't figured out how to smooth it out yet.
Spoiler:
Lex Luthor Sr., apparently confirming the fan theory that Eisenberg's Luthor wasn't the Lex Luthor of the comics, but his son.
The music. Specifically the way they mixed in the themes from Batman '89/Animated Series and Superman '78. Just a few notes, but they stood out and made me smile.
Oh, and
Spoiler:
Deathstroke at the end.
Stuff I liked and disliked:
Spoiler:
Green Lantern. I loved seeing the brief shot of a Lantern at the beginning, but I expected one of them to show up before the end. The tag was 'Unite the Seven', and unless Alfred counts, they didn't do that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, and likely spoilers for the upcoming Aquaman:
Spoiler:
It seems that they're going for an Aquaman very early in his career. He met Mera (whom he marries) for the first time, and wasn't yet a King. That kind of suggests what the upcoming film will be about.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Saw it tonight and am losing faith in Joss Whedon. The story was very forgettable and the comedy was not funny at all. Flash was more annoying than humorous. I don't want to see another Whedon super hero movie where hordes of nameless somethings get thrown at the gang just so we can see them do their thing. It worked in Avengers and didn't work at all in Avengers 2 or Justice League. I hope this doesn't become his trademark.

X:2 showed that focusing on the characters and how they interact with the world can be much better than two hours of loud noises. This should have been so much better.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I'm not sure why you are putting all of that on Whedon. Blaming him for what is essentially Snyder's work is more about how you feel about Whedon. He didn't write the vast majority nor did he shoot the vast majority of the movie. That's on Snyder. Pretty much everything you're laying on Whedon was already in place before he stepped in to finish the movie.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Whedon wrote the movie and my biggest problem was with the story.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

McNutt wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:22 am Whedon wrote the movie and my biggest problem was with the story.
Whedon wasn't an original writer on the movie, either. He did what was asked of him under the constraints of the studio when Snyder left.
Hodor.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

McNutt wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:22 am Whedon wrote the movie and my biggest problem was with the story.
Chris Terrio and Zack Snyder wrote the story. Chris Terrio wrote the screenplay then Joss Whedon rewrote some of the scenes.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We saw it Friday night. It met my very low expectations.

Full disclosure, I love the Marvel movies and I've always preferred Marvel to DC, but I've read a lot of Superman and Batman comics and always get excited over their movies. There's just something in the style of these movies that turns me off, and I can't quite put my finger on it. Combine that with a poor story and poorly developed characters, and now I'm just in the theater to watch the action which wasn't even all that good in this movie. The best action scene was...
Spoiler:
when they were fighting Superman. Flash running around and Superman tracking him with his eyes was hysterical, and it was followed by a genuinely awesome moment of Superman fighting Flash at superspeed.
Everything else was completely forgettable. I liked it better than BvS, but I won't be upset if their plans for Justice League 2 get scrapped. At the very least they need to spend some more time with these characters in their individual movies. I like this version of Aquaman, Flash, and Wonder Woman. Build their characters up with more individual movies, so that their motivation in these team-up movies make sense. I want to like Ben Affleck's Batman, but I don't think they know which direction to take his character. Is he the grisly old vet who lashes out at his friends, or is he a wisecracking playboy cracking jokes about talking to fish? You can be both, but right now they aren't doing a great job of it.

And I've hated this version of Superman, but I think there's hope.
Spoiler:
The Superman in the final fight and racing against Flash at the very end was fun to watch. I would love to see what Henry Cavill can do with that character, instead of the dour and pouty Superman from the first two movies.
Snyder needs to be flushed out of the system, which they've already started to do. It's clear his vision isn't a hit with critics, and doesn't pull in the mainstream audience enough to be worth the money that they are shelling out.