[TV] Legion (2017)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hamlet3145

Re: [TV] Legion (2017)

Post by Hamlet3145 »

What a great first season of a show. I was a little unsure after the premiere episode due to just how crazy it felt, but I was definitely fully hooked after a couple more. I find myself re-watching certain scenes because they are so good.

Also, my face when some Dark Side of the Moon came on in the final ep: :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I could watch Oliver discussing music and calling everyone "hip" and "baby" for hours.

Also, how damn great was it that the episode started off showing us that even those we may consider monsters are still human from another angle?
Covfefe!
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Hamlet3145 wrote: I find myself re-watching certain scenes because they are so good.
I definitely plan on binge watching the whole series again some time during the summer. It will be fun to see what I missed and what changes due to the context of understanding just WTF is going on.

I read somewhere that if you pay attention there are several Pink Floyd references embedded in the series. Clearly there are obvious ones like Syd Barrett but apparently there are some subtle ones as well.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't want to say the name as not to spoil it for people stumbling into the thread, but add me to the list of people that think the bad guy they created (the look/makeup) is one of the creepiest characters ever on a TV show. The scene from a few weeks ago where he's following Syd around the doctor's office, walking and grinning as he slowly moves towards her while she's losing her grip was absolutely terrifying. I'm also in the camp of people with tremendous respect for Aubrey Plaza's chops. I'd always thought of her as a comedic actress and was a bit surprised at her casting in this show. If she doesn't win awards for her portrayal, I'd be amazed.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:I don't want to say the name as not to spoil it for people stumbling into the thread, but add me to the list of people that think the bad guy they created (the look/makeup) is one of the creepiest characters ever on a TV show. The scene from a few weeks ago where he's following Syd around the doctor's office, walking and grinning as he slowly moves towards her while she's losing her grip was absolutely terrifying. I'm also in the camp of people with tremendous respect for Aubrey Plaza's chops. I'd always thought of her as a comedic actress and was a bit surprised at her casting in this show. If she doesn't win awards for her portrayal, I'd be amazed.
And that musical note of doom from some hell horn that plays every time he pops up adds to the horror. I should make it my ringtone.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

$iljanus wrote: And that musical note of doom from some hell horn that plays every time he pops up adds to the horror. I should make it my ringtone for telemarketers.
FTFY
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Season 2 trailer

Starts 4/3
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Even the trailer makes almost every other show look like crap. :wub:
Covfefe!
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:51 pm Even the trailer makes almost every other show look like crap. :wub:
The Magicians would like you step out back for a dance off. :lol:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I like Magicians, but it can’t hold a candle to Legion. It really is in a class all its own.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Strap in, Legion Season 2 begins tonight!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Big time psyched here! This show is ridiculously high end for a non-HBO tv show.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Season 1 is on sale on Vudu for 9.99. I just picked it up. With most of the bigger streaming services now sharing your library between themselves, it’s become my preferred way of collecting tv shows and movies.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Still ridiculously good, I’m happy to say. A psychic battle framed as a dance off, moustachioed women who may be androids, boats carrying waffles...and then there’s the weird stuff.

I’m hooked all over again.
Covfefe!
Jag

Post by Jag »

I'm delightfully confused.

Astral plane dance battle!

Malificent

Post by Malificent »

How did this show not get ALL the cinematography Emmys?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And why is Jemaine Clement not cast in everything on TV?

And I had to go look up the speech about Admiral Fukuyama because it's just such a great origin story...of a sorts.
Spoiler:
"Our mind cannot be read. When we were a boy, we had the machine put into our head. For days we screamed. The pain was in the volcano puncturing the molten core. The device buried deep in our cerebral cortex like nails from a bomb in a public place. Hardware inside software. And now we are this: the machine that bleeds. The organizing principle."
Oh, and let's not forget the
Spoiler:
security force made up entirely of children.
You know what, I should just stop. If I were to list every single weird and wonderful thing in the season 2 premiere, I'd take up three pages.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I wish there were limited commercial interruptions for the premiere. You're sucked into this lush, visual world then a commercial for the latest Marvel mobile game comes on and the transition is pretty jarring.

Also, even though I've enjoyed most of the Marvel movies and it may not be fair to compare them to Legion, I would have loved to see Noah Hawley's take on the Avengers franchise. A dance off with James Spader's Ultron would have been glorious!
Black lives matter!

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I have the DVR set, so the season premier got recorded. Unfortunately that meant episode 3 of Roseanne did not get recorded.
My wife doesn't know yet, so if you never hear from me again, now you know the motive.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Tao

Post by Tao »

The dance off makes an odd-sort of sense in that supposedly they met and were in an actual nightclub, that their psychic tussle became reflective of their physical surroundings is plausible (in a show about mutant heroes). While I enjoyed the episode and the dance off was fun to watch, toward the end of the sequence and as I watched more of the show it started to feel contrived. The weirdness factor in season one felt very organic, it was partially the personalities of the mutant characters, Cary and Kerry, Syd's quirkiness, Oliver's wonderful 60's shag-adelic, beat poet vibe and mostly rolled up in to David's psychosis. What's real and what's bleeding over from Wonderland, Lenny/Benny, the awesomely nightmarish Devil W.T.Y.E and Angriest Boy. The "weird"so far feels, to me, like the writers sat down and said "okay what can we do that's trippy", it has so far in episode one, a bit too much of a Twin Peaks feel. Again I did enjoy the episode and it is only episode one so plenty of time for the show to find it's voice after a hiatus. I am a bit concerned as well, with the direction the story arc may be moving, I was surprised to see season two is looking to be very much related to season one. Almost as if we had gone to a year long commercial break. I figured we would get a new story arc with a new villain for season 2 with SK showing up from time to time. I am hopeful though, as Tank said " I'm fairly excited to see what you're capable of...it's a very exciting time".
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I understand your fears but after season one, I am fully committed to giving them the benefit of the doubt. Season One was so insane and yet they did such a fantastic job of pulling everything together and somehow making it all make sense. I rarely watch any tv episode more than once. I've watched Legion's first season 3 times. Im with Hepcat on Legion. There is no other show on TV that has this fantastic combination of production and story at this level.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can't see the contrivance complaint, to be honest. It felt as organic to the story as everything in season 1. Perhaps it's the tonal shift from horror to science fiction that's throwing you off, though. David has defeated his personal demon, so it's time to explore the rest of the world, free of that nightmare.

Although as we've just found out, that nightmare isn't quite gone yet.

As for connecting the story arc directly to season one? I couldn't be happier about it. :D I think there's a twist coming though, as evidenced by that fantastic opening scene with Aubrey's character laughing over their current state.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

I agree with all the praise I've heard for the season opener. The whole episode was wonderful and a great jump back into that world. I also agree the pool opening was very important and also David's sudden appearance at Division 3. I don't feel like we are suddenly getting a reliable narration just yet. Something else is going on and I can't help but think the Admiral is at the center of it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm sure everyone is still watching, but I just wanted to state that I think this season is just as good or maybe even better than the first. The last two episodes (focused on Syd and Lenny) were really, really good.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I really want a giant floating Hulk hand to tether to my house.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:59 am I really want a giant floating Hulk hand to tether to my house.
Green or red?
Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Episode 6 was emotionally exhausting. The entire episode captured David’s sense of loss so perfectly and so expertly that I was just drained after the show ended. I’m still thinking about it now to be honest.

Also, you can never lose if you include a mouse singing Bryan Ferry’s Slave to Love.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In a move that will surprise no one that's watching, it has been renewed for a 3rd season.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's been a little up and down, I will admit. But I'm hoping that the things I feel are overly self indulgent will pay off in the end.
Covfefe!
Tao

Post by Tao »

Starting to lose interest, I missed EP 7,8,9, went back and watched 7 but still haven't caught up with the others yet. Beginning to think I'm just not smart enough to get this show. On the other hand Navid Negahban is freaking incredible! Why is this guy not everywhere?
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't think it's about being not understanding the show. I can definitely see how the look and feel of the show could be off-putting to some, or the pacing too slow for others. I still enjoy it a lot and believe it's one of the best and most unique takes on a (at this point) overly saturated genre though.
Covfefe!
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I still really like it and its been a wild 2nd season but I am feeling like its become a bit overindulgent towards being weird and cryptic for its own sake, lately.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

I’m okay with watching an occasional show that focuses mostly on cinematography. I wouldn’t want all shows to be that way, but having one that is brilliant in that regard takes the place of Hannibal for me (which I still miss).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

God, I loved Hannibal. :cry:
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, I truly did not think they’d go down that road until much later. But I’m really glad they did after seeing how they handled it. I have to admit I was getting a little frustrated with the ongoing story. It felt like it had run its course but was just being kept on life support. But now? Whole new ball game.

Also, loved the singing intro battle. Behind Blue Eyes was the perfect choice.
Covfefe!
Jag

Post by Jag »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:14 pmAlso, loved the singing intro battle. Behind Blue Eyes was the perfect choice.
That was amazing.
Spoiler:
I never thought I would see a live version astral battle with two Omega level mutant protagonists singing Behind Blue Eyes in English and Arabic.
It's like they read my mind.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Watch it again and again if you'd like. But only if you've seen the second season finale!
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'm LTTP with this season, but I just watched Chapter 14 a couple of days ago, and what a brilliant hour of television that was. And such wonderful use of music, too.

Did you know Noah Hawley, the show's creator, sings the songs that the show covers? Here's Hawley and composer Jeff Russo's cover of Superman from the end of Chapter 14:

Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I knew it was probably coming, but the announcement that season 3 will be its last has arrived. . :(

On the one hand, it’s probably best it end while it’s still great. But man, I am going to miss this one...a lot. There’s very few things that come even close to its eccentric beauty.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

This should make for an interesting season 3!

Professor X comes to season 3
Black lives matter!