[TV] Legion (2017)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[TV] Legion (2017)

Post by Isgrimnur »

Marvel and FX bring you Legion

Wiki
Legion is an American television series created for FX by Noah Hawley, based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name.
On May 31, 2016, FX picked up Legion to series, with an eight-episode order. Production is slated to begin summer 2016, and the series will debut on FX in early 2017.
David Haller, a man diagnosed with schizophrenia, has struggled with mental illness since he was a teenager. But everything changes when he meets the girl of his dreams—a fellow patient—and is confronted with the possibility that the voices he hears and the visions he sees might be real.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Re: [TV] Legion (2017)

Post by hepcat »

That looks fantastic, I must say. I like that they're taking a unique turn on the superhero genre. I wonder if the character is based on the old X-Men villain?
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It is, but there will not be any appearance by the X-Men characters.

Note that they did use the word 'mutant', which Marvel does not throw around willy-nilly.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Curious to see if they will keep each of his personalities with separate abilities. Also, wondering if they will change his father from
Spoiler:
Charles Xavier
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

So... anyone else catch the opening episode on FX last night?

I thought the visuals and "unreliable narrator" focus on Haller's mental illness were both excellent. Speaking as someone unfamiliar with the underlying comic book series, I'm intrigued to see how it plays out.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I was just wondering about this.

I wanted to watch but a 22:00 start was too late for my tired bones and I don't do DVR anymore. We'll see if Fox puts up a non subscription based on demand quality at 2 up/2 down method to watch...
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LordMortis wrote:I was just wondering about this.

I wanted to watch but a 22:00 start was too late for my tired bones and I don't do DVR anymore. We'll see if Fox puts up a non subscription based on demand quality at 2 up/2 down method to watch...
Yea...I wanted to watch it, but starting at 9 and going for an hour and a half just wasn't gonna work.
I'll catch the replay.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I have very little knowledge of this line of comics, although I am aware of Legion's parentage. That may be something they change for the series.
The first episode was very good and very strange. At this point we are working with so little information, that what is real and what is not is very unclear. It will be interesting to see where this goes.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh good lord, this is ridiculously good. I can't wait to see where this goes. Sure, it sometimes comes across as an imitation of Mr Robot, but it's even weirder than that equally great show. Thankfully, FX has shown a willingness to stick with a show even if it doesn't win over huge audiences, so I'm hopeful we'll get at least a few seasons of this quirky, beautiful, creepy show.

Edit: I didn't make the connection earlier, but the creator of Legion is also behind the superb Fargo tv series. I wondered why it felt somewhat familiar. And why it included some of the actors from that show.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The story is outside of my comic book wheelhouse, but I'm really enjoying the show (I've only seen the first two). It's way creepier than I thought it was going to be and the overall tone much darker. Not sure how I feel about Sydney "Syd" Barrett. That reference seems a bit too much.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

I watched the first episode with low expectations but I was very impressed by the end. It really felt a lot like Mr. Robot for me. The cinematography blew me away.
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

GargoyleBoy wrote:I watched the first episode with low expectations but I was very impressed by the end. It really felt a lot like Mr. Robot for me. The cinematography blew me away.
You REALLY need to watch Fargo then (if you're not already). The second season especially. They're very similar in how they frame and compose shots. Plus, it's also ridiculously good.
Covfefe!
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

hepcat wrote:
GargoyleBoy wrote:I watched the first episode with low expectations but I was very impressed by the end. It really felt a lot like Mr. Robot for me. The cinematography blew me away.
You REALLY need to watch Fargo then (if you're not already). The second season especially. They're very similar in how they frame and compose shots. Plus, it's also ridiculously good.
I'll make a note of that. I'd avoided it as I felt the movie was basically perfection and I wasn't sure if or how it would translate to television.
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You are in for a treat. Usually TV adaptations of great movies suck...and suck hard. But Fargo is the rare exception. It has a 98 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes, if that makes any difference to you.
Covfefe!
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I've seen the first two episodes so far, and I really enjoyed them. There is a lot of "What the heck is going on?" as it sort of jumps around a little bit, but that eventually gets sorted out. But then, finally then, came about the last 10 minutes os so of the first episode, and I was like, Holy Meatballs, this is awesome!
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just watched the latest episode. They should be giving tips to American Horror Story. :shock:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I was about to post the same thing. I also watched the 3rd episode last night and it was really f-ing creepy.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The only problem I'm having with the show is that I'm rooting for David. I like David. I want David to succeed. But I know that if they stay true to the comic version, that's going to change someday.

Oh, and we are truly in a golden age of television nerd-ness. Legion, Preacher, The Expanse...there are some top quality shows running right now.
Covfefe!
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Love this show
Spoiler:
I'm really thinking the long villain is Mojo, and a lot of the artifacts and framing are watching the show through Mojo's show. The first segment of the most recent episode, was a straight Mojo production, and the zoom out tv screen frame fade out felt like a big neon sign screaming g show within a show.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, they managed to make a beagle creepy.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:Well, they managed to make a beagle creepy.
And turn The Rainbow Connection into a cry for help.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh, and we are truly in a golden age of television nerd-ness. Preacher
How is Preacher doing? Still ass interesting as the beginning?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote:
I'm not sure how to respond to that without sounding anal.
Covfefe!
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Preacher was great, no ifs, ands or butts.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
raydude

Post by raydude »

Daehawk wrote:
Oh, and we are truly in a golden age of television nerd-ness. Preacher
I love that phrase! Gotta remember that when asking about a series I dislike.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

That might have been the most wild, out there episode yet. Interestingly enough, it is also the episode that has likely brought the most clarity, plot wise. Also strangely enough this series has brought a new reality to me that I never thought would exist. There is now a reality in which I want to bang Syd Barrett.

Oh and major props to Aubrey Plaza. She has been amazing in this series and she really showed her chops in this episode. If this show gets award worthy attention, Plaza should be first in line for an award. And that's saying a lot, as the entire cast has been fantastic.

Finally, Legion has been renewed for season 2.

Its a great day for renewals, first Legion gets the nod and then later I found out that The Expanse also got renewed.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Legion is just killing it. It is just so well done and suspenseful. I watch every second of it to try and grab every last detail. Audrey Plaza's dance sequence in Ep 6 was insane and Syd Barret is just incredible. I could gush on this show forever.

It is by far my favorite Marvel show that is barely about superheros.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It sometimes feels like they handed David Lynch the X Men. But told him to make it somewhat coherent. There were quite a few subtle reveals in this last episode, by the way.

Also, Amber Midthunder is absolutely adorable.
Covfefe!
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

There's no denying it now that Ahmad Farouk aka The Shadow King is the big bad which confirms that Professor X is David's father. Really wondering if Professor X makes some type of appearance cause The Shadow King isn't your typical villain
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Jag

Post by Jag »

tru1cy wrote:There's no denying it now that Ahmad Farouk aka The Shadow King is the big bad which confirms that Professor X is David's father. Really wondering if Professor X makes some type of appearance cause The Shadow King isn't your typical villain
They confirm it with this alternate promo that most people didn't see. Spoilers for Ep 7 in the video.

And Aubrey Plaza's dance sequence just because it was soooo trippy and worth watching again.
wire

Post by wire »

This weeks episode was just plain beautiful (they all have been but tonight's particularly so) and the silent black and white sequence was brilliant. Aubrey Plaza should get herself some awards for this role...she is scary hot and killing it. Sad that there is only one more episode for this season.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Best superhero show ever. Episodes just keep getting better.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Its amazing how they have managed to tie all of the completely out there weirdness into a cohesive storyline. Everyone has been fantastic in the series but damn, Aubrey Plaza is just killing it. They need to hand her an emmy right now. Sadly there is only one episode left and then its going to be wait a year for more.
I will admit that TV is a vast wasteland of garbage for the most part but if you believe that there is nothing worth watching on the telly, with networks taking chances on shows like Legion, Preacher and Mr Robot, you are not looking hard enough.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I laughed at Dan Stevens mocking himself for a bad English accent while playing an American.

And yeah, that silent film vignette should not have worked... but it did. And beautifully.

I really hope they give this a full 13 episodes next season. Any more than that and I worry they risk losing control of the story.
Covfefe!
wire

Post by wire »

First off...the first season of Legion may have been the most beautiful and chaotic experience I've had...definitely on the small screen. The story, the visual effects, the directing, the acting, all outstanding. That said...wtf was that post credit scene. If you haven't seen the last episode yet...be sure to watch the end credits to the end. Again...wtf.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

wire wrote:First off...the first season of Legion may have been the most beautiful and chaotic experience I've had...definitely on the small screen. The story, the visual effects, the directing, the acting, all outstanding. That said...wtf was that post credit scene. If you haven't seen the last episode yet...be sure to watch the end credits to the end. Again...wtf.
Yeah, I think it definitely set a new high bar for comic book TV adaptations; supremely entertaining, all the way around.

As for the end credits scene...
Spoiler:
Was the drone-orb gizmo what the General was referring to when he gave the order to "Send the Equinox"? Otherwise, I don't get the reference, as I'm unfamiliar with the comic books.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
wire wrote:First off...the first season of Legion may have been the most beautiful and chaotic experience I've had...definitely on the small screen. The story, the visual effects, the directing, the acting, all outstanding. That said...wtf was that post credit scene. If you haven't seen the last episode yet...be sure to watch the end credits to the end. Again...wtf.
Yeah, I think it definitely set a new high bar for comic book TV adaptations; supremely entertaining, all the way around.

As for the end credits scene...
Spoiler:
Was the drone-orb gizmo what the General was referring to when he gave the order to "Send the Equinox"? Otherwise, I don't get the reference, as I'm unfamiliar with the comic books.
I read an interview with Noah Hawley that kind of confirms that your spoiler is correct.

You can find it here: Obviously, thar be Spoilers! http://www.blastr.com/2017-3-29/legion- ... s-season-2
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

What a show. Sucks that its going to be year before we get anymore but thats the nature of the beast.
I will say that anyone who thinks theres simply nothing good on TV anymore is just not looking. It seems that some of these networks are a lot more willing to take a chance on some really out there stuff. Between Mr Robot, Legion, Preacher, Dirk Gently, The Expanse, Stranger Things and The Magicians this has become the golden age of strange!
Last edited by rshetts2 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I cannot wait for season 2. This is catching up to Hannibal in terms of sheer genius.

One question about that after credits scene though.
Spoiler:
why were there bodies hanging on a coat rack behind them as they stood on the balcony?
Covfefe!
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

hepcat wrote:I cannot wait for season 2. This is catching up to Hannibal in terms of sheer genius.

One question about that after credits scene though.
Spoiler:
why were there bodies hanging on a coat rack behind them as they stood on the balcony?
Spoiler:
Because people would be always tripping over them if they just left them on the floor. Didnt your mom teach you about the consequences of leaving stuff lying around on the floor?