[TV] Wild Cards

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[TV] Wild Cards

Post by Isgrimnur »

Development deal
Universal Cable Productions (UCP) acquired the rights to develop [George R. R.] Martin’s sci-fi series “Wild Cards.”

Martin made the announcement on his blog.
Development with UCP starts immediately “on what we hope will be the first of several interlocking series,” wrote Martin.

Melinda M. Snodgrass, Martin’s assistant editor who has worked with him on “Wild Cards” from the start, will be developing the project on the author’s behalf along with Gregory Noveck of “RED,” Slow Learner and SyFy Films.

Snodgrass’ television writing and producing credits include “Star Trek: The Next Generation” (“Measure of a Man”), “Reasonable Doubts,” “The Profiler” and “Star Command.”

UCP, part of NBCUniversal’s cable division, created Golden Globe-winning drama “Mr. Robot,” the series “Colony,” “Royal Pains,” “Suits” and more.

“I hope you’re as excited as I am,” wrote Martin. “Of course, Hollywood is Hollywood, and nothing is ever certain in development… but I think I hope I cross my fingers that the ‘Wild Cards’ will be coming to your home screens in the next year or two.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: [TV] Wild Cards

Post by $iljanus »

I'm curious about if/how they'll bring Fortunato to the screen with all his pimptacular coolness.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

$iljanus wrote:I'm curious about if/how they'll bring Fortunato to the screen with all his pimptacular coolness.
Lenny Kravitz. I've always imagine him for that role. :)
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Ever since Game of Thrones succeeded I was hoping for this. One of my favorite series..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know what this is but the title instantly took me back the the 90's and my favorite show of the time.. Space: Above & Beyond.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Daehawk wrote:I dont know what this is but the title instantly took me back the the 90's and my favorite show of the time.. Space: Above & Beyond.
It was a group writing project with Martin as editor. The idea is that there was some sort of accident (space dust or something--don't completely remember) that had profound effects on a minority of the population. Some of the affected people got super powers, while others got weird disabilities. The ones with the negative effects were called Jokers. Anyway, it was a set of short stories and each contributor would incorporate the characters and environment described by all the previous ones. It was pretty fun reading.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote:I dont know what this is but the title instantly took me back the the 90's and my favorite show of the time.. Space: Above & Beyond.
It's a superhero series with some adult overtones (e.g. the aforementioned Fortunato was one of the most powferful characters, who's a pimp and "tantric magician" that derived his superpowers by charging up from sexual energy).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I thought WildCards was an anthology series with a bunch of different authors sharing a universe. So are they only going to use Martin's characters?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
MHS

Post by MHS »

hentzau wrote:I thought WildCards was an anthology series with a bunch of different authors sharing a universe. So are they only going to use Martin's characters?
I would think it would include them all and they're just attaching Martin's name to it to cash in on the GoT fans. The other authors will likely get smaller font billing at some point.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

MHS wrote:
hentzau wrote:I thought WildCards was an anthology series with a bunch of different authors sharing a universe. So are they only going to use Martin's characters?
I would think it would include them all and they're just attaching Martin's name to it to cash in on the GoT fans. The other authors will likely get smaller font billing at some point.
Which is a pity because the contributing authors list is like a who's who of sci/fi-fantasy writers but yeah they will be totally cashing in on GRRM and his brand's name recognition power.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

The Great and Powerful Turtle was always my favorite.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Apparently book #23 is due out at the end of this month.

Wiki
On his blog in March 2016, Martin stated that Tor Books acquired three installments after High Stakes. Working titles for the books are Texas Hold 'Em, Mississippi Roll, and Low Chicago. He also announced that Saladin Ahmed, Max Gladstone, Marko Kloos, and Diana Rowland will contribute to the triad.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Sounds to me like a game show from the 70's

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I watched that game show as a kid. Loved game shows in the 70s and early 80's.

Thanks for info on it folks.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Heh, thought the same thing. Loved that show. When it was cancelled, it was the most disappointment I had ever felt about a TV show cancellation.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

How about Hulu?
The streamer, sources say, is near a deal to secure rights to Wild Cards, the multiple-book series edited by Game of Thrones creator George R.R. Martin. Hulu and Universal Cable Productions reportedly have been looking to bring an adaptation to television in what would be a multiple-series pact.

Sources say Hulu and UCP are on the cusp of opening a writers room that would create a Wild Cards universe for the streamer. The two series will be written by Andrew Miller (The Secret Circle), who has an overall deal with UCP. Melinda Snodgrass, Vince Gerardis and Martin are all on board to executive produce what could be multiple Wild Cards series.
More details:
Syfy Films — a joint venture by Syfy Channel and Universal Pictures — acquired screen rights to the franchise in October 2011 and planned to adapt Wild Cards as a feature film, with Snodgrass set to pen the screenplay. Martin said UCP reacquired the rights in August 2016 with plans to adapt the franchise for television. "Development will begin immediately on what we hope will be the first of several interlocking series," Martin wrote at the time on his blog.

Wild Cards extends Martin's relationship with UCP, for whom he executive produces Syfy's Nightflyers. That drama, based on Martin's novellas, is a co-production between Syfy and Netflix and is set to bow Dec. 2 with what sources say will be an expensive marketing effort.
Maybe next year, maybe no go