Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Amazon TV/Movies

Post by Daehawk »

I was thinking...which is dangerous.....the speedster that slams into the girl and she explodes. Is he like Superman and invulnerable? because if he is just fast wouldn't he die if he ran into something like the girl?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

A-Train (the speedster) is not invulnerable, but he is much tougher than a normal human. He would have to be, just in order to survive the crazy acceleration he undergoes. All of the supes seem to be physically stronger and more damage resistant than normals, regardless of what their actual signature powers happen to be.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

They are kind of vague so far about what the heroes can do. For example, Deep can somehow fight, but we're not sure how breathing under water and talking to sea creatures makes him a good fighter. Translucent was invisible, but he was also extremely tough. There's obviously more to A-Train than speed, but we don't know exactly what it is.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

At first I thought Stillwell was the shape shifter - which might have been better.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:12 pm They are kind of vague so far about what the heroes can do. For example, Deep can somehow fight, but we're not sure how breathing under water and talking to sea creatures makes him a good fighter. Translucent was invisible, but he was also extremely tough. There's obviously more to A-Train than speed, but we don't know exactly what it is.
Don’t underestimate speed. The ability to move so fast that you can pretty much do whatever you want before anyone else can react is pretty damn powerful.
Covfefe!

Post by Default »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:34 am
McNutt wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:12 pm They are kind of vague so far about what the heroes can do. For example, Deep can somehow fight, but we're not sure how breathing under water and talking to sea creatures makes him a good fighter. Translucent was invisible, but he was also extremely tough. There's obviously more to A-Train than speed, but we don't know exactly what it is.
Don’t underestimate speed. The ability to move so fast that you can pretty much do whatever you want before anyone else can react is pretty damn powerful.
Don't forget how he shot up his girlfriend with a heroin overdose before she could move a muscle.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Translucent is tough because of his "carbon meta-material" skin, the same skin that renders him invisible. It was discussed during his...main event.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Default wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:18 am
hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:34 am
Don't forget how he shot up his girlfriend with a heroin overdose before she could move a muscle.
His introduction would indicate some level of invulnerability in addition to speed. Crashing into things at such speeds would impart the same force on him that he is imparting to objects...and other things.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Exactly. He took that impact as though he ran through tissue paper.

Post by Default »

"It is I, INERTIA MAN!!!"
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Just finished the season and loved it, I too wonder about A-Train running through the girl after the "other girl" did her number on his leg.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I just finished the second season of "Jack Ryan" and felt kind of let down. The action was all great, they clearly spent a lot of money on this (filmed in 4 different countries) but the plot was just crazy, and in my opinion, not very believable. I mean, the overall story was fine and interesting (I especially enjoyed the opposition candidate but the stuff Ryan and other operatives did would have never happened.
Spoiler:
- Four special operatives infiltrate Venezuela by taking a speedboat up a river, are never seen, and then hang around for days/weeks(?) and still aren't seen by anyone? Even after they had been spotted after landing and people should have been looking for them afterwards?
- Ryan manages to get some helicopters in to rescue some political prisoners he frees, but then the convinces the pilots to take his team to land on top of the presidential palace without any argument/hesitation?
- Then Ryan and his team infiltrate and shoot up the palace to rescue an imprisoned CIA operative, while the president is there during the day of the election, surrounded by dozen's of guards?

I still enjoyed it but they really need to get back to earth on the next one.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I watched the first half of The Boys on a plane! I am late to the party! It was good! Homelander is a neat character!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Team Homelander here. Get on board or get lost.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hunters
Spoiler:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Age of the Living Dead
Spoiler:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zerozerozero
Spoiler:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Agatha Christie's The Pale Horse
Spoiler:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Making the Cut
Spoiler:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Last edited by Isgrimnur on Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Finished up Carnival Row this week - enjoyed it, but it's definitely a lead in to a larger story. Glad they started working on s2 immediately.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:57 am Zerozerozero
Spoiler:
The producers of Gomorrah (Italian crime series on Netflix which I highly recommend) are behind this which gives me high hopes for this series!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Upload
Spoiler:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:13 pm
Watched this last night. Not bad.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

That darn Amazon video has autoplay turned on. ARGH. Someone edit that, please.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:06 am That darn Amazon video has autoplay turned on. ARGH. Someone edit that, please.
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:45 am Upload
Spoiler:
It is the link that was in the spoiler tag above. :)

Also, Bosch Season 6 dropped today. I've put in three episodes already and it's strong as ever.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Abnormal Attraction. How did Hepcat miss this one? Among the cast is Gilbert Gottfried, Steve Buscemi's brother, and Malcom McDowell. Total freak show.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

5 episodes in and really enjoying Upload. It’s Altered Carbon meets The Good Place and has been fantastic so far.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:45 pm Abnormal Attraction. How did Hepcat miss this one? Among the cast is Gilbert Gottfried, Steve Buscemi's brother, and Malcom McDowell. Total freak show.
If you say Gottfried into a mirror three times I usually appear, so I’m not sure.

Edit: just watched the trailer. Within two seconds I knew why you watched it. I’m out though.
Last edited by hepcat on Thu May 07, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:26 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:45 pm Abnormal Attraction. How did Hepcat miss this one? Among the cast is Gilbert Gottfried, Steve Buscemi's brother, and Malcom McDowell. Total freak show.
If you say Gottfried into a mirror three times I usually appear, so I’m not sure.
He plays a Pigman!
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:23 am 5 episodes in and really enjoying Upload. It’s Altered Carbon meets The Good Place and has been fantastic so far.
And Her. And Ex Machina. And other stuff. I think the drama is excellent. The satire is very good. The comedy is hit and miss. They seem to be OK with being goofy. Part of my brain keeps wanting it to be hard sci-fi and I have to ignore it.
Spoiler:
I find myself craving better defined rules for how this world works. One moment I'll think, "My goodness, this is the world in 15 years." The next, Evil Girlfriend is about to "delete" Main Character. We're talking about a consciousness; that's a ridiculous concept even by that world's internal logic. The fact that she's financially supporting his existence is a big enough threat... but the show often feels the need to hit us in the face. Maybe I just have trouble accepting it as a comedy.

The show actually does a great job of making you sympathize with Evil Girlfriend, revealing her insecurities and where they came from. I wasn't expecting that level of nuance. It also makes an interesting point about uploads being unable to work as they'll depress wages in the real world. On the other hand, uploads are expected to pay for many things. Other than having accumulated wealth while they were still alive, how? (Other than being paid for by living family.) The show doesn't delve deeply into this, and I think it's a captivating idea. Ads are a frequent presence, but what about "freemium" experiences? Do those intending to upload when they die carry insurance and build savings just for this? Are families going to court over whether an uploaded person's wealth stays with the deceased or goes to the family? As the number of those uploaded exponentially increases, how can this economy remain stable? Also, I like the thought of contrasting this with prison economies in the U.S. (with its parallel commercialization). What does uploading look like for the non-wealthy? (Other than that brief glimpse we see, which is mostly played for laughs. There may be more... I have a few episodes to go.) I want to know more about the window you have to upload before you die. "Real death", as Altered Carbon calls it, grounds that world. I remember it also being a major concept in the 1997 novel The First Immortal by James L. Halperin which dealt with cyronics. What happens if you die on a boat in a lake?

Also, why the hell would you make the torrent/suicide beam so accessible? I mean, at least try to justify it.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

What's the verdict on Hunters? I have watched two episodes and it is not grabbing me at all. Will it win me over or should I cut my losses now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't call it "must see tv" in the way I'd say The Boys and The Tick are/were.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:23 am 5 episodes in and really enjoying Upload. It’s Altered Carbon meets The Good Place and has been fantastic so far.
Yeah, this is really good. It’s sad and funny at the same time. And it’s also a fantastic examination of faith in the age of technology. But not in a preachy way, rather in a thought provoking manner. Equally so on the subject of what makes us...well...us.

Update: I’m now 5 episodes in and there have been at least two or three laugh out loud moments in every episode so far. This show is a gem. :wub:
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The "pick the cat" was freaking hilarious.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That joke took me a second to get, but when I did realize what they were doing, I giggled loudly.

The show is full of that kind of smart humor, but it also has so many silly moments that actually work too. It honestly has something for everyone.

I realized that the lead actor is the brother of the guy who played Arrow on the CW show. He’s quite good. I had seen him in Code 8 (a pretty good movie that’s on Netflix), but honestly he’s much better at comedy.
Covfefe!
Aliasbuck

Post by Aliasbuck »

Wait, Gilbert Gottfried is Steve Buscemi's brother????? That would explain quite a lot... :lol: