2017 Total Solar Eclipse

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Unagi

Re: 2017 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Archinerd wrote:I really wanted to go this summer but we decided that driving 6+ hours each way with a one year old was too high of a cost.
Especially since it might end up being cloudy that day and we could miss the whole thing anyway.

We are instead going to make plans for the 2024 eclipse. A 6+ hour drive with a 8 year old is probably going to be easier and more fun.
Smart. You can also change "probably going to be easier" to "definitely going to be easier"
Oh bull.
Good luck.
I could have snuck off to god-knows where when I had a 1 year old... an 8 year old has their own world. For me, highly functional autism - but at 10 years old now who will have No Joy in a 6 hour drive to witness a 3 minute event, even though his focus is on science and solar/galactic stuff. frustrating tbh.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

https://xkcd.com/1877/
"I was thinking of observing stars to verify Einstein's theory of relativity again, but I gotta say, that thing is looking pretty solid at this point."
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Looks like this shit-show is back on - my boss gave me Monday off after all so I'm going to tag along with my brother for the Columbia visit.

That xkcd article made me think of my astronomy buff friend yesterday.

Folks were gathered around his cubicle asking him advice on watching it, what's going to happen, etc. I was fully prepared for him to go into full on geek mode and gush about this thing.

Instead he was like, "Well, around the time of it, go outside with your eclipse glasses, watch it for a few seconds. Then go back inside. I mean it's cool but you're going to have millions of people photographing it and uploading videos so I wouldn't lose much sleep over it." HAHA
Toe

Post by Toe »

The hysteria is growing. My wife just told me that this morning the local news reported that 100,000 people are expecting to show up in my little town. Population of 12,000. Uh, what? I don't think 100,000 people packed together like sardines could fit in our town.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think our plan is to just kind of back-road it and get close enough vs trying to get into the thick of the city. We'll see how it plays out. Should be quite the road adventure. I'm not driving so I'm not going to stress too much over it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My brother is taking his gang of rug rats (boy scouts he calls them) to southern IL this weekend. Forecast as of this morning was for overcast skies across the entire state on Monday. :lol:
Black Lives Matter
raydude

Post by raydude »

YellowKing wrote:Looks like this shit-show is back on - my boss gave me Monday off after all so I'm going to tag along with my brother for the Columbia visit.

That xkcd article made me think of my astronomy buff friend yesterday.

Folks were gathered around his cubicle asking him advice on watching it, what's going to happen, etc. I was fully prepared for him to go into full on geek mode and gush about this thing.

Instead he was like, "Well, around the time of it, go outside with your eclipse glasses, watch it for a few seconds. Then go back inside. I mean it's cool but you're going to have millions of people photographing it and uploading videos so I wouldn't lose much sleep over it." HAHA
Heh. A lot of people in my branch are traveling to see it, quite a few are making a camping trip out of it in the west. I'm guessing the 2nd floor of our building (where most of the scientists are) will be mostly empty.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I'm staying inside all day with the doors locked just in case the skies rain blood and the beasts rise and attack all humans...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Z-Corn wrote:I'm staying inside all day with the doors locked just in case the skies rain blood and the beasts rise and attack all humans...
Aren't you superstitious. If will be nothing like that. No, it will be exactly like the Day of the Triffids.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Seen on Twitter: "Dear God, if you want us to impeach Donald Trump, just send us a sign, like blotting out the sun anytime in the next week"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Now that we're at T-100 hours out, how about some discussion of specific plans the day of:
  • Where are you headed?
  • When do you plan to depart home and arrive at your destination?
  • Is your destination in the path of totality?
  • What are you bringing with you?
  • What do you plan to do while viewing? (eg just watch, photograph the sun, photograph others, chant ominously about the end times, etc)
  • Have you seen a total solar eclipse before?
Also, for those planning to photograph the event--any tips? I've got a 230mm lens which isn't optimal but it'll have to do. Also have a solar filter for it along with a stable tripod. I'm planning to take exposure-bracketed shots for the first minute or so of totality, then stop and just take it in. Still trying to figure out the specifics of ideal camera settings and would appreciate advice.

I'll start the list-answering:

• Where are you headed? Glendo, WY
  • When do you plan to depart home and arrive at your destination? Glendo State Park opens at 4 am and I plan to be there shortly thereafter. That'll mean leaving a bit after midnight Monday morning. I considered grabbing a campsite on Sunday but I'm not confident that any would still be available at Glendo.
  • Is your destination in the path of totality? Yes, for 2m 27s.
  • What are you bringing with you? Vehicle, full tank of gas, camp chair, eclipse glasses, camera, solar filter, tripod, cooler with a few meals & lots of water, portable USB battery, vehicle USB chargers, Nintendo Switch for all the downtime, lots of patience for the trip back home.
  • What do you plan to do while viewing? (eg just watch, photograph the sun, photograph others, chant ominously about the end times, etc) Photograph during partial eclipse prior to totality, as well as the first half of the totality phase. Then just enjoy it.
  • Have you seen a total solar eclipse before? Nope.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

• Where are you headed? - the work parking lot
  • When do you plan to depart home and arrive at your destination? - walking out of my office
  • Is your destination in the path of totality? - 80%
  • What are you bringing with you? - not a thing. Maybe a pinhole viewer if I'm feeling motivated.
  • What do you plan to do while viewing? (eg just watch, photograph the sun, photograph others, chant ominously about the end times, etc) - just watch, perhaps a rousing Shub-Niggurath chant if the spirit moves me.
  • Have you seen a total solar eclipse before? - no
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

• Where are you headed?Going to coin flip to decide between Sumter and Columbia, SC
  • When do you plan to depart home and arrive at your destination? - Leave home at 3:30 AM and drive to airport | PHL -> CLT | 9 or so AM -drive rental to grocery store then destination.
  • Is your destination in the path of totality? - 100%
  • What are you bringing with you? - Eclipse glasses, food/drink, fully charged electronic suite if I get there early (ha!)
  • What do you plan to do while viewing? (eg just watch, photograph the sun, photograph others, chant ominously about the end times, etc) - roller skate and take selfies. that is mostly a joke but maybe I will!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:
  • Where are you headed? - the work parking lot
  • When do you plan to depart home and arrive at your destination? - walking out of my office
  • Is your destination in the path of totality? - 80%
  • What are you bringing with you? - not a thing. Maybe a pinhole viewer if I'm feeling motivated.
  • What do you plan to do while viewing? (eg just watch, photograph the sun, photograph others, chant ominously about the end times, etc) - just watch, perhaps a rousing Shub-Niggurath chant if the spirit moves me.
Sounds about right. I could go to the roof of the parking garage for a guaranteed clear view.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Where are you headed? Glendo, WY
When do you plan to depart home and arrive at your destination? Leaving my place at 3am. However, if the highways already appear filled, I'll turn around and enjoy a non-totality from the comfort of home.
Is your destination in the path of totality? Yes.
What are you bringing with you? Eclipse glasses, camp chair, cooler with food (I'm thinking of picking up a few Subway sandwiches the evening before) and bottled water. I debate bringing an extra can of gas (home to Glendo is about 175 miles, which means I'll have to refuel at some point), but am not convinced I'll want a can of gas in my hatchback. Clothing in layers, of course.
What do you plan to do while viewing? (eg just watch, photograph the sun, photograph others, chant ominously about the end times, etc) I'm adamantly not photographing, as 1) this is something to experience, not be stressed over, and 2) there'll be plenty of photos and videos available.
Have you seen a total solar eclipse before? Never a totality, but I saw the '79 eclipse (just over 80% totality) on the playground just after lunch. The "cookies" projected on the ground through the leaves of the trees have stayed with me my whole life.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
stessier

Post by stessier »

The Meal wrote:What do you plan to do while viewing? (eg just watch, photograph the sun, photograph others, chant ominously about the end times, etc) I'm adamantly not photographing, as 1) this is something to experience, not be stressed over, and 2) there'll be plenty of photos and videos available.
Not if everyone takes this attitude! Slacker!!

Where are you headed? Work parking lot.
When do you plan to depart home and arrive at your destination? 7am - it's a school day so have to drop off kids then get to work by 8:30am.
Is your destination in the path of totality? Yes. 2:15 of totality I believe.
What are you bringing with you? Eclipse glasses if Safety comes through on their promise.
What do you plan to do while viewing? (eg just watch, photograph the sun, photograph others, chant ominously about the end times, etc) Just look around. We are next to an air force base, so I should have some nice unobstructed views.
Have you seen a total solar eclipse before? No. There was a partial one when I was in grade school, but it was raining so didn't really see anything.[/quote]
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Where are you headed? Molalla, OR
When do you plan to depart home and arrive at your destination? Plan to leave at 6:00 AM Monday morning to drive the 28 miles from home to Molalla.
Is your destination in the path of totality? Yes. For a full 1 minute, 11 seconds.
What are you bringing with you? Breakfast bars, lots of coffee, sandwiches and snacks for lunch. Lots of water.
What do you plan to do while viewing? :shock: :clap: :dance:
Have you seen a total solar eclipse before? Not a total one.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
stessier

Post by stessier »

For anyone looking to go to Greenville, SC instead of Columbia, Greenville's weather forecast has upgraded Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday to full sun. It will be hot, but likely clear.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote:For anyone looking to go to Greenville, SC instead of Columbia, Greenville's weather forecast has upgraded Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday to full sun. It will be hot, but likely clear.
So ... partly sunny?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

• Where are you headed? Work (Warrenville, IL)
  • When do you plan to depart home and arrive at your destination? Leave 7:15 am Arrive 8:00 pm
  • Is your destination in the path of totality? No, but moot point, likely cloudy anyway.
  • What are you bringing with you? My backpack containing my work laptop.
  • What do you plan to do while viewing? (eg just watch, photograph the sun, photograph others, chant ominously about the end times, etc) I will be in a Webex meeting training a team in Chennai to take over 2nd level support tasks for my division.
  • Have you seen a total solar eclipse before? Yes, and back then we didn't need no fancy glasses to watch it either.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote:For anyone looking to go to Greenville, SC instead of Columbia, Greenville's weather forecast has upgraded Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday to full sun. It will be hot, but likely clear.
Might have to add this back in as the third split option.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Where are you headed?
Columbia, SC

When do you plan to depart home and arrive at your destination?
No departing, back yard

Is your destination in the path of totality?
Yes

What are you bringing with you?
pants, probably a shirt if I'm feeling ambitious that day

What do you plan to do while viewing? (eg just watch, photograph the sun, photograph others, chant ominously about the end times, etc)
Still on the fence about getting some gear together to take some shots, or simply fully experience the event. I do know that I will either go all out shooting it, or not at all. Half measures when I try to shoot things usually don't work well for me.

Have you seen a total solar eclipse before?

I remember looking at an eclipse in the late 70's or early 80's as a wee lad, using pinhole method, but not sure if that was total or not.
PLW

Post by PLW »

• Where are you headed? Nowhere! Ehh.. I might go to campus, we're still deciding.
  • When do you plan to depart home and arrive at your destination? If we go to campus, we'll leaving sometime mid-morning.
  • Is your destination in the path of totality? My house is in the path of totality.
  • What are you bringing with you? Children?
  • What do you plan to do while viewing? (eg just watch, photograph the sun, photograph others, chant ominously about the end times, etc) Just watch
  • Have you seen a total solar eclipse before? No
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Testing my solar filter. Bring on Monday!

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Is it just me, or have you guys also seen websites speaking about the states that are getting the full eclipse in a West to East order?

One example.

I saw others before this - and it seemed odd.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Unagi wrote:Is it just me, or have you guys also seen websites speaking about the states that are getting the full eclipse in a West to East order?

One example.

What is odd about it?
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Zaxxon wrote:Testing my solar filter. Bring on Monday!
Get a refund. That thing didn't filter the sun out at all!
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

gilraen wrote:
Unagi wrote:Is it just me, or have you guys also seen websites speaking about the states that are getting the full eclipse in a West to East order?

One example.

What is odd about it?
Well, wouldn't the east coast be experiencing this first? Seems like one would narrate the eclipse more in a chronological order.
(maybe I'm wrong?)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unagi wrote:
gilraen wrote:

One example.

What is odd about it?
Well, wouldn't the east coast be experiencing this first? Seems like one would narrate the eclipse more in a chronological order.
(maybe I'm wrong?)
The eclipse is a function of where the moon and sun are in relation to the ground. Not just the sun.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well, yeah - but I would think that both of them travel 'across the sky' as a result of our rotation, and hence the dark shadow would move from East Coast to West Coast. With the possibility of some retrograde moments in there, but - generally - east to west.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This may help you visualize it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Zaxxon wrote:This may help you visualize it.
Yes, Thank YOU.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wife said that the news said people are selling their solar glasses for $1000 :P
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My mom called me yesterday to warn me not to stare at the eclipse or I could go blind. Thanks mom, after 42 years of life on this planet, I hadn't figured that one out yet.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

YellowKing wrote:My mom called me yesterday to warn me not to stare at the eclipse or I could go blind. Thanks mom, after 42 years of life on this planet, I hadn't figured that one out yet.
It sounds stupid, but it's not as obvious as you'd think. If you're in totality, it is safe to look at the sun directly during the period of totality. If you're in an area that's getting a 99% eclipse, it's not safe at any point.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I investigated the possibility of creating a pinhole viewer yesterday. The boys and I will be converting some cereal boxes this weekend and testing them out. We just need to find some al-yoo-minny-umm foil.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That astronomy guy I work with brought me some eclipse glasses today. Just $500 and I'll throw in free overnight shipping! :evil:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That's outrageous. I'll send a pair out for $250!
Toe

Post by Toe »

I have 3 not-certified-but-probably-ok eclipse glasses I will sell for $50. :)