New From Christopher Guest - Mascots

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tgb

New From Christopher Guest - Mascots

Post by tgb »

I'm on this like stink on a chimpanzee.

Damn, Fred Willard's aged.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Kraken

Re: New From Christopher Guest - Mascots

Post by Kraken »

So glad they got the whole gang together again while everyone's still alive.

Everyone's still alive, aren't they?
tgb

Post by tgb »

Kraken wrote:So glad they got the whole gang together again while everyone's still alive.

Everyone's still alive, aren't they?
No Eugene Levy that I could see, but I'm pretty sure he's not dead.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Definitely there.

The whole C. Guest ensemble is terrific, and I have always been in love with Parker Posey.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Holman wrote:Definitely there.

The whole C. Guest ensemble is terrific, and I have always been in love with Parker Posey.
She pet my dog once.

Unfortunately, that's not a euphemism.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Holman wrote:Definitely there.

Another thing we have in common. Perhaps we're long lost twins?
No sig, must scream, etc.
Holman

Post by Holman »

:D
Holman

Post by Holman »

I just did a little Parker Posey stalking and discovered that she's exactly my age (within six weeks) and grew up in the small Mississippi town up the road from my parents'.

In a totally plausible parallel universe, she dumped me at the prom!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I absolutely love Guest and his usual group of friends/comedians. Waiting for Guffman is still one of my favorite comedies.

p.s. Speaking of the greats that usually work with Guest, if you haven't experienced the Canadian comedy series Schitt's Creek yet, you're missing Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara at the top of their game. Especially O'Hara. She's a damn force of nature in comedy. She really doesn't get the recognition she deserves.
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

hepcat wrote:.

p.s. Speaking of the greats that usually work with Guest, if you haven't experienced the Canadian comedy series Schitt's Creek yet, you're missing Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara at the top of their game. Especially O'Hara. She's a damn force of nature in comedy. She really doesn't get the recognition she deserves.
Never heard of it, though I love the title. Where and when can it be seen?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Season 1 is on Amazon Prime.

Eugene Levy's son created and costars in it...and he's fantastic. Comic talent runs in that family, it seems.

Oh, and if you're an old SCTV fan, tell me O'Hara isn't resurrecting Lola Heatherton in Moira.
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

That's that streaming thing you young people seem to like, isn't it? I'll have to look into it.
tgb

Post by tgb »

My sister just emailed me to recommend Schitts Creek - apparently it's now on Netflix. Since we've finally entered the 21st century, I'll be checking it out.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You won't be sorry. I thought season 3 meandered a bit, but the first two seasons are fantastic.
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

hepcat wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:48 am You won't be sorry. I thought season 3 meandered a bit, but the first two seasons are fantastic.
How can you forget to mention Chris Elliot as the mayor? Five minutes into the pilot and I was in love with this show.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love Elliot. I own Cabin Boy on DVD. I bought the entire DVD set for Get a Life. But Elliot is polarizing. People seem to either love him (you and I) or absolutely loathe him (quite a few folks I've talked to over the years).

But yeah, he's freakin' great on Schitt's Creek. What surprised me is how damn funny Eugene Levy's son Daniel is. Plus, he and his dad write the show. His character David is just so matter of fact about his sexuality, his superficiality and his disdain for others around him. But it never comes across as condescending towards others. At least not in a hurtful way. Watch his facial expressions whenever he's disgusted or annoyed. They're priceless.

Annie Murphy does a great job of making Alexis work. A character that in many actresses hands would have come across as cliche and boring.

And of course Eugene Levy still has it. I don't think he ever lost it, to be honest.

But the real standout is still Catherine O'Hara's Moira. There's an episode in which she tries to reclaim some of her prior fame by doing a commercial that is laugh out loud funny whenever she's in front of the camera. Damn but she's hilarious.

Edit: The best scene from that episode is on that Youtube thing all the young kids are talking about.
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I actually went back an watched the pilot again (I loved it that much) and this time caught the name of Elliot's character (Roland Schitt). Say it aloud.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

David and Alexis are my favorites.

Back on topic though, Mascots was pretty disappointing to me. It was fine, but I don't think there was really anything original if you've already seen Best in Show.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But yeah, Mascots....

It had some of the great, traditional Christopher Guest dark humor in places, but I don't think it was as good as any of his previous films. Don't get me wrong. The more I saw of the fisting mascot, the more I found it funny. But overall it just felt too broad and less witty than his other films.
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

@hepcat - I didn't see what you did in the Lola Heatherton comparison, but I just watched the episode where she coaches the high school play, and yeah, definitely.