Why you can't get good concert tickets

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Why you can't get good concert tickets

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Ringer

Presales, giveaways to sponsors, secondary markets, and bots. The deck is stacked against you in pretty much every way.

Oh, yeah. The author was the head of Ticketmaster from 2010 to 2013.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Re: Why you can't get good concert tickets

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:The Ringer

Presales, giveaways to sponsors, secondary markets, and bots. The deck is stacked against you in pretty much every way.

Oh, yeah. The author was the head of Ticketmaster from 2010 to 2013.
I can't imagine going to an assigned seat venue without buying through presales. Even then, moments after they open you usually don't get choice seats. The only way you get good seats through presales is if they are proof of ID and purchasing credit card at the door sales and there is no corporate arrangement from the vendor/artist to set aside so many prime seats.

As I am (was) a small venue, general admission guy for most shows, it never really bothered me. I'd see one or two big shows every one or two years and when I did, I would always join fan club before the band went on tour. Usually we were second crack. There was inevitably some sort of CITI elite concert status that always had tickets the day before fan club ticket sales. I have no CITI accounts and so that was never on the table.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

When I did a Citi presale, all they asked me for to qualify was the first 6 digits of my card (BIN). And those are easy to find.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:When I did a Citi presale, all they asked me for to qualify was the first 6 digits of my card (BIN). And those are easy to find.
Where the hell were you from 2003-2013, when I was still seeing shows like crazy?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

This is why "going to a live concert/broadway show/sporting event" isn't even on my radar of things I consider doing. Which stinks, because I like doing that, but there it is.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I only go to small <1000 seat general admission venues.

The large majority of bands I listen to and enjoy never play in big venues or arenas.

I pay my $20-30 general admission, even the night of the show, and can stand pretty much next to the stage. I'm thankful I live in a city with 6 or 7 of these types of venues within a 30 minute drive.

I loathe (with a vengeance) how ticket sales are done through the jerks at Ticketmaster or Live Nation or whoever runs it. It's a rip off and I won't support it.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

going to see S U R V I V E next month (aka the Austin, TX band that does the soundtrack for Stranger Things) at a little concert venue - tickets are only $15
tgb

Post by tgb »

tlr has been dying to see Beautiful, the Carole King musical, and while it still hasn't come to Tucson it will be in Tempe Thanksgiving weekend, so we looked into getting tickets. It must have been on sale for a while, because only a handful were available in each section,

Orchestra seats were $175 :shock: and nosebleed $50. I don't know the theater, but if it's similar to the ones here, top of the balcony may not be that bad. Nonetheless, at those prices I just haven't been able to force myself to pull the trigger.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

For that money, I could buy a weekend pass to our local music festival, which is what I've been doing the last several years. Get more value for the money and I can see who I want to see and in general imbibe in the atmosphere.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Xmann wrote:I only go to small <1000 seat general admission venues.

The large majority of bands I listen to and enjoy never play in big venues or arenas.

I pay my $20-30 general admission, even the night of the show, and can stand pretty much next to the stage. I'm thankful I live in a city with 6 or 7 of these types of venues within a 30 minute drive.

I loathe (with a vengeance) how ticket sales are done through the jerks at Ticketmaster or Live Nation or whoever runs it. It's a rip off and I won't support it.
Same here. I can't remember the last time I went to a concert with actual seats, and I like it that way.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Some of us don't like to stand for three hours and deal with the press of humanity around us.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Isgrimnur wrote:Some of us don't like to stand for three hours and deal with the press of humanity around us.
you don't go see the bands I do then.

i've been to countless metal shows (large majority of those are what are considered extreme or death metal) and very rarely do i deal with the press of humanity.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I haven't been to a concert in quite a few years unless you count small clubs and symphony. In fact, the last fairly large venue I went to was The Rocky Horror Show five years ago, and that was only a few hundred people -- most of them were general-admission groundlings, but being elderly we paid for table seats. If I'm going to spend big bucks for a ticket, I'd rather see a play (which, arguably, Rocky Horror is).
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Xmann wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Some of us don't like to stand for three hours and deal with the press of humanity around us.
you don't go see the bands I do then.

i've been to countless metal shows (large majority of those are what are considered extreme or death metal) and very rarely do i deal with the press of humanity.
You should have gone to see Babymetal. You would have had to deal with the press of humanity then! :mrgreen:
Hodor.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'll just act like you didn't say that
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
tgb

Post by tgb »

99% of the artists I want to see aren't popular/well known enough to play big halls or arenas. Fortunately we have two very old movie theaters downtown that regularly host concerts, and there isn't a bad seat in either one of them.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I barely pay attention to whatever's going on in the music or theater scenes, so by the time something's penetrated my bubble of ignorance, it's usually so popular you can't see it. My current white whale is Hamilton tickets. It's essentially impossible to get tickets for less than $500 each, and they won't release a video recording of it, so I've basically resigned myself to only being able to listen to the soundtrack.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Yup. Just happily bought tix to see Colin Meloy play a solo show and a large reason I'm going is it's at a traditional theater full of seats.

Concerts at venues without seating are much less appealing to my almost-44-year-old back and knees.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Exodor wrote:

Yup. Just happily bought tix to see Colin Meloy play a solo show and a large reason I'm going is it's at a traditional theater full of seats.

Concerts at venues without seating are much less appealing to my almost-44-year-old back and knees.
I can probably get you old farts a walker or wheelchair to go to shows
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

New law
Today, President Obama has signed the “Better Online Ticket Sales (BOTS) Act of 2016 which makes it illegal to use software to purchase tickets online. While New York already passed this legistlature, President Obama has made it nationwide. The idea is that it will prevent those whose end goal is to resell them at a higher price.

Under the law, it is illegal for anyone or company to use a bot or software to circumvent the rules for making a fair purchase such as buying more tickets than specified. It is also illegal to resell tickets that were purchased with the help of the bot. With this law, it makes the person(s) and those who know how the tickets were purchased liable.
It's nice when everyone can agree on who the bad guys are:
11/30/2016 Passed/agreed to in Senate: Passed Senate with an amendment by Unanimous Consent.
12/07/2016 Passed/agreed to in House: On passage Passed without objection.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:BOTS
Funny.
makes it illegal to use software to purchase tickets online.
Wait. What?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bad summary.
Better Online Ticket Sales Act of 2016 or the BOTS Act of 2016

(Sec. 2) This bill prohibits the circumvention of a security measure, access control system, or other technological measure on an Internet website or online service of a ticket issuer that is used to enforce posted event ticket purchasing limits or to maintain the integrity of posted online ticket purchasing order rules for a public event with an attendance capacity exceeding 200 persons.

The bill also prohibits the sale of or offers to sell an event ticket in interstate commerce obtained through such a circumvention violation if the seller participated in, had the ability to control, or should have known about the violation.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That's great to hear. Hopefully Canada will soon follow up with a similar law.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jag

Post by Jag »

It also allows local AGs to enforce the law since you know the Feds probably won't. Great way for the always political AGs to make some feel good headlines while shutting down the scourges of ticket sales.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CBC
Box-office giant Ticketmaster is recruiting professional scalpers who cheat its own system to expand its resale business and squeeze more money out of fans, a CBC News/Toronto Star investigation reveals.

In July, the news outlets sent a pair of reporters undercover to Ticket Summit 2018, a ticketing and live entertainment convention at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.

Posing as scalpers and equipped with hidden cameras, the journalists were pitched on Ticketmaster's professional reseller program.

Company representatives told them Ticketmaster's resale division turns a blind eye to scalpers who use ticket-buying bots and fake identities to snatch up tickets and then resell them on the site for inflated prices. Those pricey resale tickets include extra fees for Ticketmaster.

"I have brokers that have literally a couple of hundred accounts," one sales representative said. "It's not something that we look at or report."
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Read that this morning. Fucking crush that monopoly already!
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, no kidding. Canadians get enough of a raw deal as is. This practice should be made illegal! The longer this is allowed to happen, the more it encourages Ticketmaster to think it's entirely OK.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jag

Post by Jag »

And that's why I'm seeing the Australian Pink Floyd for $50 next week instead of seeing Roger Waters play the oldies. Although I have seem him 3 times in the last few years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Another brick on the barbie?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:42 am Another brick on the barbie?
I'm pretty sure they only ever see the dark side of the moon down there.
Black Lives Matter