News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Kasey Chang »

I want to see The Old Guard... kinda like highlander except they aren't killing each other... but surviving for a thousand years means you learned a few tricks...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The trope I love in films about immortal beings is that they ALWAYS seem to be at the right spot at the right time for history making events. They always show you montages via wall of photos or a slide show presentation or whatever of the protagonist(s) alongside Jesus, Michelangelo, Napoleon, etc.. While they don't quite go that far in The Old Guard, they do include the obligatory bad photoshop efforts injecting them into historical pictures (the Charlize Theron attempts are pretty awful...and historically suspect considering she's a woman).

If I were an immortal, I would most likely find myself in photos as background guy number 3 in a shot of a fish market in San Diego in 1943, mentioned briefly in a journal from 1832 as the milk delivery guy in London, or in a fresco in an ancient Roman bath house as the towel boy.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm enjoying Warrior Nun, but I was hoping for a little more warrior and a little less nun.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Looking forward to hearing thoughts on Cursed, today's big release.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:42 pm I'm enjoying Warrior Nun, but I was hoping for a little more warrior and a little less nun.
I'm about halfway through the first season, and I'm kind of getting that same impression.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That’s nunsense!
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:53 pm That’s nunsense!
That was a great play if you grew up Catholic.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I converted for that joke. Now I’m converting back.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Get thee to a nunnery.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Instructions unclear, joined a mummery.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Norsemen season 3 starts Wednesday. The first two seasons are some of the funniest stuff on Netflix. It’s The Office...with Vikings. This new season appears to be a prequel, but with all the characters that make the show great returning.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Technically not exclusive, but I just saw the The Last Dance (Jordan doc) is now on Netflix! Since I don't have ESPN, this is great news!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Last Dance was fantastic, though I am a Bulls fan so may be less than an objective observer.

I watched the first two eps of Cursed last night. It was good fun so far.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:26 pm I have to admit, I really enjoy watching “The Floor Is Lava” with the kids. They did an excellent job making such a silly premise so dang much fun to watch.
I watched the first episode of this last night. It's a dumb show, I liked it too.
My favorite part is how they all act like the people who fall in are really dead.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Finished watching Snowpiercer last night and it's great. I watched the movie this weekend too, and I much prefer the TV series over the movie.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stessier

Post by stessier »

I watched The Old Guard this weekend. My biggest complaint is that it's basically only the origin story. I didn't mind that in Marvel movies because I knew there was a plan. With one offs like this from Netflix, it feels less satisfying because there are a bunch of questions that may never be answered. Everything else about it I liked and really hope they continue the story.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:27 pm I watched The Old Guard this weekend. My biggest complaint is that it's basically only the origin story. I didn't mind that in Marvel movies because I knew there was a plan. With one offs like this from Netflix, it feels less satisfying because there are a bunch of questions that may never be answered. Everything else about it I liked and really hope they continue the story.
On the bright side, it seems to be sticking on the top 10, so hopefully it's gotten enough attention that it receives a sequel. Also, I need to watch it.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Yeah, that was one of the problems I had with it. It feels more like a jumping off point. The other was the lack of meat on the flashbacks. Highlander and Angel used flashbacks for character development and to give them a sense of place in the flow of history. Here it felt like they were ticking off plot points as quickly as possible.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:20 am Norsemen season 3 starts Wednesday. The first two seasons are some of the funniest stuff on Netflix. It’s The Office...with Vikings. This new season appears to be a prequel, but with all the characters that make the show great returning.
Can not wait for this!

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:05 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:27 pm I watched The Old Guard this weekend. My biggest complaint is that it's basically only the origin story. I didn't mind that in Marvel movies because I knew there was a plan. With one offs like this from Netflix, it feels less satisfying because there are a bunch of questions that may never be answered. Everything else about it I liked and really hope they continue the story.
On the bright side, it seems to be sticking on the top 10, so hopefully it's gotten enough attention that it receives a sequel. Also, I need to watch it.
It’s getting good reviews, but this is one instance where I just can’t find any common ground with critics on something. I’m not saying I’m right and they’re wrong, but I just couldn’t see anything in the movie that wasn’t a worn out trope in my opinion. It felt procedural for the most part.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:08 pm
It’s getting good reviews, but this is one instance where I just can’t find any common ground with critics on something. I’m not saying I’m right and they’re wrong, but I just couldn’t see anything in the movie that wasn’t a worn out trope in my opinion. It felt procedural for the most part.
Sounds like I should check it out then. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

I tried watching Norsemen the other night after reading about it here. Season 1 esp 1, started out pretty promising, I kept thinking it seemed like a mash-up of Erik the Viking (Monty Python) and the Office and seemed pretty funny. I made it as far as the scene where two characters are arguing over the ownership of a cape. Apparently I don't get Norwegian humor, that was just too gross for me.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
raydude

Post by raydude »

My two daughters, wife, and I have been watching The Babysitters Club on Netflix. It's a pretty good show based on the books. I like how they've updated it for present day (the kids have cell phones) but still manage to keep the story beats from the books. I admit, my youngest got me hooked on the graphic novel versions of The Babysitters Club so I was already familiar with the characters. I approve of the TV show versions of them.

I especially like the actor who plays Kristy Thomas. Alicia Silverstone's character is Kristy's mom and there are several scenes where Kristy's facial expression and mannerisms remind my wife and me of a young Alicia Silverstone. The actor who plays Claudia Kishi is great as well and my youngest's favorite. Really the entire cast is great. There are times when you can tell these are kids trying to act, but that to me just brings an added realism in that these really are tween girls. The theme is a group of girls in a babysitting business cultivating a strong friendship between themselves as they navigate the ups and downs of their babysitting business and their personal lives. Highly recommend.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:09 pm
Sounds like I should check it out then. :D
If you enjoy it, that’s cool. Everyone has their own taste in things.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

raydude wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:19 am My two daughters, wife, and I have been watching The Babysitters Club on Netflix. It's a pretty good show based on the books. I like how they've updated it for present day (the kids have cell phones) but still manage to keep the story beats from the books. I admit, my youngest got me hooked on the graphic novel versions of The Babysitters Club so I was already familiar with the characters. I approve of the TV show versions of them.

I especially like the actor who plays Kristy Thomas. Alicia Silverstone's character is Kristy's mom and there are several scenes where Kristy's facial expression and mannerisms remind my wife and me of a young Alicia Silverstone. The actor who plays Claudia Kishi is great as well and my youngest's favorite. Really the entire cast is great. There are times when you can tell these are kids trying to act, but that to me just brings an added realism in that these really are tween girls. The theme is a group of girls in a babysitting business cultivating a strong friendship between themselves as they navigate the ups and downs of their babysitting business and their personal lives. Highly recommend.
I've never read the books, but agree that it's a very good show. My daughter binged the first 5 while I was in the room and then watched the last 3 on her own. I was mad - I wanted to see what happened next!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Tao wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:37 am I tried watching Norsemen the other night after reading about it here. Season 1 esp 1, started out pretty promising, I kept thinking it seemed like a mash-up of Erik the Viking (Monty Python) and the Office and seemed pretty funny. I made it as far as the scene where two characters are arguing over the ownership of a cape. Apparently I don't get Norwegian humor, that was just too gross for me.
Yeah, that was pretty gross.

FWIW, that scene is very much an outlier in the level of yuck. I don't recall anything similar in the rest of the series.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The show isn't a gross out comedy. Most of it is anachronistic attempts to force modern day sensibilities onto classic viking society...to great effect. There's a scene in season 2 in which a viking warrior confides to his wife in lamenting tones that he's really uncomfortable with the level of pillaging and raping they've been directed to undertake under their Jarl's direction. It plays out like an episode of intervention and it's hilariously self aware.
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Really? I thought the change from traditional military team was just enough to keep it (semi) fresh.
Spoiler:
The immortal angle wasn't enough? And having a GAY immortal couple is definitely not a "worn out trope" in my book lol. Has there been a vampire version of this type of movie I am not aware of? I dunno, I watched that other one recently (6 Underground?) and THAT one felt like a re-tread for sure, I fell asleep multiple times. This one kept me awake from the getgo with the "twist" of them dying and getting back up. I came in not knowing anything about it, though.
- - -

I'm just past midway in Cursed. It's got some quirks and some definite places where it looks like they could have used some bigger budget, but it's kind of a fun spin on the Arthurian/Excalibur story. I thought the first couple eps were a little slow, but it picked up well in later ones.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Not an exclusive, but Netflix tweeted this morning that Korra is coming next month.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:58 pm Not an exclusive, but Netflix tweeted this morning that Korra is coming next month.
Not as strong as the original but I missed the last few seasons so having it all in one place will be nice. Netflix also released the full Avatar: The Last Air Bender a few months back and it is now the number one show for most consecutive days in the top 10. If you enjoy character driven story telling this show is a must, even if your not an anime fan. It's got great characters, solid writing and flows from start to finish in a coherent manner with a solid wrap up.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm halfway through Book 2.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:32 amI watched the first two eps of Cursed last night. It was good fun so far.
Finished this last night. While it's no Game of Thrones, it was fun for me. It's an interesting take on the Arthurian legend. Plenty of holes (some wooden acting, some episodes that were light on actual plot movement, and a bunch of tactical terribleness to serve the script), but a fun time overall.

A highlight for me is Gustaf Skarsgård as Merlin. He does a great job playing a... different version of the character, who--without spoiling too much--enters the series having been without magic for decades.

I'd recommend the show to anyone who likes this sort of thing. Properly set expectations and I think you'll enjoy it.

For those who aren't planning to watch it, or who just need a kick in the pants to do so...
Spoiler:
Definitely do not watch this clip if you plan to view the show, as it's a major final-episode spoiler.
Spoiler:
But it's oh-so-cool. I did warn you not to watch it, though, right?
Spoiler:
OK, fine, here it is. But you probably shouldn't watch it!
Spoiler:
When the whole show has been covering level one characters wielding the most powerful enchanted weapon in the world, and finally the level 100 wizard picks it up:

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Netflix just stealth-announced via the Dragon Prince Comic-Con@Home panel that not only have they picked up Season 4, but the entirety of the saga (I believe that means seasons 4-7).

No word on release date yet.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:03 pm Netflix just stealth-announced via the Dragon Prince Comic-Con@Home panel that not only have they picked up Season 4, but the entirety of the saga (I believe that means seasons 4-7).

My kids are going to be psyched!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote:
I felt that The Old Guard was pretty meh as well. Might give a sequel a shot as the character at the end was the most interesting, but overall I'd rather just watch Atomic Blonde again. Or finally watch Fury Road.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

That's fantastic news about The Dragon Prince. Hope the issues around the studio/creator are resolved and won't hang around like a dark cloud.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

As to Cursed, I watched the first 10 minutes of so of the first episode and just bounced hard off of it - just seemed like the lead character and her motivations were so tired and done better elsewhere, that I didn't want to sit through it.

I think I'm getting old. Get off my lawn!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:03 pm Netflix just stealth-announced via the Dragon Prince Comic-Con@Home panel that not only have they picked up Season 4, but the entirety of the saga (I believe that means seasons 4-7).

Ooh, awesome!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:17 pm As to Cursed, I watched the first 10 minutes of so of the first episode and just bounced hard off of it - just seemed like the lead character and her motivations were so tired and done better elsewhere, that I didn't want to sit through it.

Not just you. Made myself watch two episodes, just not interested enough.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Freyland wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:45 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:17 pm As to Cursed, I watched the first 10 minutes of so of the first episode and just bounced hard off of it - just seemed like the lead character and her motivations were so tired and done better elsewhere, that I didn't want to sit through it.

Not just you. Made myself watch two episodes, just not interested enough.
I lasted about 5 minutes.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter