News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:42 pm Anyone watching Oktoberfest: Beer & Blood? It's pretty good! I've been seeing comparisons to Peaky Blinders, and I can see why. Set in 1900 Munich, a man wants to build the biggest beer hall and will do anything to make it happen. Finding it pretty entertaining with some great acting and set work.
I am intrigued. Maybe I can also get some use out of my 3 years of college German too.
He won. Period.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I just watched Worth, starring and produced by Michael Keaton.

I'll just say this movie attempts to answer the question, is it possible to make a tear jerker focused completely on the work of a lawyer working for the government.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

...and?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Watched the first episode of Chicago Party Aunt, which is an adult-oriented animated show based on the Twitter account of the same name. The account parodies a certain type of Chicago woman (one who is often an aunt and likes to party, if you will), makes jokes about having sex with various Chicago area celebrities in various Chicago locations, and makes a lot of insider Chicago jokes (as well as jokes that you non-Chicagoans would get as well). The show gives her a name and an actual nephew who is going to live with her as he takes a gap year between high school and Stanford. First episode was mildly amusing, but nothing earth shattering. Good enough to get me to write this little blurb up.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I heard the twitter account owner's interview on NPR and wanted to check this out. It sounded like it would be at least amusing for a while... I never once heard of the twitter account before the NPR interview though.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:59 pm...and?
Tears were effectively jerked. At least from me.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thank you.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:30 am Watched the first episode of Chicago Party Aunt, which is an adult-oriented animated show based on the Twitter account of the same name. The account parodies a certain type of Chicago woman (one who is often an aunt and likes to party, if you will), makes jokes about having sex with various Chicago area celebrities in various Chicago locations, and makes a lot of insider Chicago jokes (as well as jokes that you non-Chicagoans would get as well). The show gives her a name and an actual nephew who is going to live with her as he takes a gap year between high school and Stanford. First episode was mildly amusing, but nothing earth shattering. Good enough to get me to write this little blurb up.
First thought after 5 minutes?

There’s no way in hell she could afford to live in Wrigleyville these days.
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

TheMix wrote:
hepcat wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:21 pm Kate. Oh goody. Another film about an assassin with a heart of gold and a kid to protect. I haven’t seen anything like that in…what…8 hours?
I watched it. It wasn't terrible. The first 2/3rds or so was pretty darn formulaic. And highly predictable. Actually, the ending was extremely predictable. However, the last 30 min or so was an adrenaline fueled, action packed, popcorn fest. That I thoroughly enjoyed.
I wanted an action popcorn flick, it did the job.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

hepcat wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:21 pm Kate...
I turned it off when she was told she had a day to live. I'm normally ok with even derivative action movies but I simply didn't care. Perhaps even worse the premise of the one night stand poisoning her made her look sloppy and incompetent
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Night Teeth? That’s the best they could come up with?

Was Bicuspid Babes taken? How about Molar Opposites? Tooth or Dare?
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:32 pm Night Teeth? That’s the best they could come up with?

Was Bicuspid Babes taken? How about Molar Opposites? Tooth or Dare?
:lol:

I really liked Molar Opposites. Kudos.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Molar Opposites kind of sounds like the title for a sequel. So then you'd have Night Teeth: Molar Opposites. Well, they could also have called it Root Canal :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm fond of Tooth or Dare.

They could have called it Not Another Vampire Movie based on how shitty that looked. I mean goddamn, Netflix. Are you even trying?

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and The Irishman seemed like an eternity ago.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, I watched The Ice Road with Liam Neeson, as it's now available on Netflix in Canada. Here's your perspective from a Canadian. In all honesty, it's not half bad. Definitely not as bad as it's been made out to be. Thing is, if people are going in expecting a big hollywood level production, then sure, they're going to be disappointed. But in terms of Canadian productions, it feels actually a bit above average, and is actually fairly enjoyable. There are actually only a handful of Canadian movies that have reached the quality of a Hollywood level production. My major peeve actually has nothing to do with anything in the actual movie, but rather in the sound mixing. The sound mixing is terrible, with the voices seemingly mixed to be at the same level as everything else, so if you raise the volume level, your voices are going to be louder, but everything else is going to be super loud along with it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

My favorite part is where they effortlessly righted toppled over semis, presumably with a winch, but it was done off camera in about ten seconds.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, obviously certain parts are expedited.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Kind of late to the party but I’m enjoying Wynonna Earp. Nice mix of snark, mythology, secrets, camp, all in a nice little package!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I enjoyed that show start to finish. Same with so many other shows that originated or were filmed in Canada - Alphas, Dark Matter, Killjoys, Lost GIrl....the list goes on and on. But yeah, having just finished the series earlier this year, I was sad to see it all end.

EDIT: There tends to be some cross pollination with actors for those shows and I always liked seeing the same actors in different roles. I don't remember if you watched Kim's Convenience, but if so...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Ahhh Killjoys, Dark Matter, Lost Girl. That was like the golden age of the SyFy channel. Along with 12 Monkeys which I still need to finish!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:06 pm EDIT: There tends to be some cross pollination with actors for those shows and I always liked seeing the same actors in different roles. I don't remember if you watched Kim's Convenience, but if so...
There is quite a lot of cross-pollination in Canadian TV. In certain cases, they might even appear twice on a show under different roles.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This again? I’ve told you all before, there’s no such thing as Canada. It’s like Narnia, Atlantis or Peoria.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Are you saying I live in Narnia? Cause that's pretty awesome! :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Saw "Revolt" tonight. I was made aware of it through one of those websites that titles "You got to see the xxxxxx sci-fi movie before it leaves xxxx". It was intriguing, and Google knows I like sci-fi and fantasy.
Acting was adequate, story was limited, pacing was terrible and numerous plot devices were introduced without ever justifying their point.
Movie leaves Netflix on the 29th. I suspect it will go without additional fanfare.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Freyland wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:32 pm "You got to see the xxxxxx sci-fi movie...
That is really hardcore.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Apparently Mike Flanagan’s Midnight Mass limited series is very good, if a bunch of reviews I’ve seen are to be believed. I loved the first season of Haunting of Hill House, so I think he’s talented. Onto my watch list it goes.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:00 pm
Freyland wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:32 pm "You got to see the xxxxxx sci-fi movie...
That is really hardcore.
:clap:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finished Season 3 of Sex Education today. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. Not gonna lie, my room got really dusty during that last episode. Having been through it a few times, Hope’s IVF storyline hit home especially hard.

The way these writers deal with conflict, representation, and relationships is truly incredible. There isn’t a single character in the show that you don’t empathize with at some level. The dynamic between Jakob and Jean were especially fantastic this season, with Gillian Anderson again stealing the entire damn show.

While I’d be interested to see where they take things in another season, I’d also be perfectly happy if the show stopped here. They’ve wrapped up enough for there to feel a sense of closure, but have left enough options open if they decide to keep going.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The third season focused on developing the characters' stories more than the "teen sex issues" premise of Sex Education. While I would like to see more, they've come so far -- even the school is dramatically different. Gillian Anderson, Emma Mackey and Asa Butterfield and Mikael Persbrandt are wonderful with their characters.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:52 am Finished Season 3 of Sex Education today. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish.
Agreed. Some really good character development in that series. It's refreshingly honest.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The only character I felt got the short end of the stick on their resolution was Ruby. They did such a great job transitioning her from a mean girl archetype to a well-rounded character, but then it seems like they didn't really know what to do with it, so they simply dropped her from the picture. Thought that was too bad, as I would have liked to have seen more from her.

And it looks like it has been renewed for one more season.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:18 am The only character I felt got the short end of the stick on their resolution was Ruby. They did such a great job transitioning her from a mean girl archetype to a well-rounded character, but then it seems like they didn't really know what to do with it, so they simply dropped her from the picture. Thought that was too bad, as I would have liked to have seen more from her.

Spoiler:
Yeah, a soon as Otis dumped her, it seemed they didn't know what to do with her.
Last edited by Rumpy on Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Bit of a spoiler there
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, good call. Not sure why I didn't initially.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:07 pm
I'm not an LofL fan, but my kids and I are looking forward to this one.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:06 pm Apparently Mike Flanagan’s Midnight Mass limited series is very good, if a bunch of reviews I’ve seen are to be believed. I loved the first season of Haunting of Hill House, so I think he’s talented. Onto my watch list it goes.
2 episodes in and I’m loving this series. So far it feels like Stephen King in his heyday (think Salem’s Lot). It’s not scary yet, but I believe the show is going to turn that way soon. What surprises me is just how emotional the show is. I care about who I assume is going to turn out to be the big bad…although I’m not quite sure they actually believe they’re a monster.

Although there is one character who is annoyingly cliched. It’s the usual religious woman character who is actually pretty evil at her core. If they’d have dropped her two dimensional character, I would have given it higher marks.

Edit: good lord, the end of episode 5 I did not see coming. :shock:

Edit 2: okay, finished it. It has some glaring plot holes, but overall this is a really good horror series with a lot of poignancy. It’s probably a one and done show, which is fine as it ended well. It does tug at the heartstrings on more than one occasion, I will warn you.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »