News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by McNutt »

A nonny mouse wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:24 am By "the partner guy" you mean Holt McCallany (agent Tench) and by "just o.k." you mean pretty much carries the show then you are correct. :D
He is the real draw in this show and steals every scene he's in.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Between Two Ferns the movie. This was so so and I almost turned it off but since it was fairly short soldiered on....the outtakes in the credits were truly laugh out loud funny for me and made the whole thing worthwhile. The outtakes should be the movie and the movie should be the credits.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaddison wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:55 pm Between Two Ferns the movie. This was so so and I almost turned it off but since it was fairly short soldiered on....the outtakes in the credits were truly laugh out loud funny for me and made the whole thing worthwhile. The outtakes should be the movie and the movie should be the credits.
I almost completely agree. I disliked the movie, but loved the credits.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A new horror film

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Just finished season 5 of Peaky Blinders. Fantastic... good villain, some surprises at the end, and the ending was a nice departure from previous seasons.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Thanks for reminding me! I am about to do a lot of travelling and need to download that season.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Mrs. Kub and I have been watching Outlander lately. It's a very cool Time Travel/History/Romance.

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:27 pm Mrs. Kub and I have been watching Outlander lately. It's a very cool Time Travel/History/Romance.
Yeah, Outlander is excellent, although the two episodes that had torture in it in the first season had to be fastforwarded through as it was a bit much.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Rumpy wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:27 pm Mrs. Kub and I have been watching Outlander lately. It's a very cool Time Travel/History/Romance.
Yeah, Outlander is excellent, although the two episodes that had torture in it in the first season had to be fastforwarded through as it was a bit much.
Yeah, we had our eyes averted. That was insanely graphic and disturbing. Probably wouldn't have watched if we'd known that was part of the story.

From your post, it sounds like s2 won't be as bad (we just finished s1, with those episodes).

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:59 pm
Rumpy wrote:
Yeah, we had our eyes averted. That was insanely graphic and disturbing. Probably wouldn't have watched if we'd known that was part of the story.

From your post, it sounds like s2 won't be as bad (we just finished s1, with those episodes).
Yeah, the worst of it was in those two season 1 episodes. I understand why it was done, because it helps one to understand the struggles that Jamie has undergone which frame his character, but I don't agree with the extent to which it was done. They focused way too much on it. A simple cutaway could have been just as effective. What was particularly jarring was that previous episodes had the romantic/adventurous vibe with no hint of anything like that, and had that been live TV, we'd have been done right there, but fortunately I had to assure those in the room that I could fast-forward through all that. That one episode had it last through most of the episode, which is a shame, and strikes me as somewhat of an odd decision to make when trying to court the romance demo. Fortunately, they must have realized their mistake as nothing gets that graphic or disturbing again in further seasons. Have not watched Season 4 yet, which has just made it to Netflix.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Out now

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Man, that last trailer. I'm sorry, but I can't understand a thing with all that mumbling. It's as if enunciating is a lost art form. And who are they whispering to?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:04 pm Out now

I watched this last night. It was entertaining but it was just terrible, terrible, awful history:
Spoiler:
In the movie, Henry challenges a rebellious noble to single combat and kills him in order to avoid a bloody battle between their opposing armies. That never happened.

In the movie, Henry is reluctant to go to war with France, and only finally does so after an assassination attempt on his life. Whereas in real life, Henry always planned to assert his claim to the French throne from the very beginning of his reign - indeed, it was the primary aim of his reign.

The climatic battle of Agincourt is all wrong. In the movie, Henry again challenges the Dauphin of France to single combat but he refuses. It rains that night making the battleground muddy which will favor the English who are dismounted. Then the English advance a small group of dismounted knights as a sacrificial pawn to goad the French into an attack, then troops hidden in the woods on the flanks attack after the French charge are tied up fighting the English dismounted knights. The English longbowmen fire a couple of volleys and that's that. The French are all but defeated when the Dauphin rides up to fight Henry - for some reason, every just stops fighting when this happens - but he flounders awkwardly in the mud, and Henry just has his men fall on him and kill him easily (this whole scene was really strange to me).

In real life the entire English army advanced, with the longbowmen on the flanks, protecting themselves from French mounted knights by driving stakes into the ground (who are also more interested in fighting the English knights than mere bowmen). The French charge the English dismounted knights, and the longbowmen fire a ton of volleys, causing deaths, wounds and confusion. The French are bogged down in the mud (it rained the night before) and tightly packed because they are all trying to get to the English knights. Then the longbowen charge the French flanks, and kill French knights bogged down in the mud who can't fight effectively. And lasty, the Dauphin, was not at the battle, hence no pre-battle challenge, and no death of the Dauphin at the end.
Just terrible history.

Edit: Went back and made my criticisms "spoilers" in case people don't know the history and dont' care to be spoiled. Meant to do that the first time, my bad.
Last edited by Grifman on Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sounds awful. Ill stick with Kenneth Branagh's Henry V from 1989 then. I loved that movie when I rented it on VHS back in the day.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Single combat? Are you serious? Why is this okay? In the future will they portray WWII ending because Eisenhower killed Hitler in single combat?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

McNutt wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:34 am Single combat? Are you serious? Why is this okay? In the future will they portray WWII ending because Eisenhower killed Hitler in single combat?
Terrible history. In actual history, it was Doolittle and Hirohito.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Heh, that's hilariously absurd. I'm going to create a new category called Netflix Average, because everyone will immediately know what I mean. It certainly sounds like that movie falls into that camp. Thanks for taking one for the team. So, tell me, does everyone mumble and whisper throughout the movie? Certainly seemed so from the trailer.

I've just watched Dolemite. I'm rather mixed on it. Good performance by Eddie Murphy, but overall I found it rather average and if it weren't for him, I don't think it would have made such a splash. It's almost as he he took the job to get away from his squeaky clean image he'd built up over the decades, so that his kids would have movies they could watch with their Dad in it. My favourite Netflix movie is still The Red Sea Diving Resort.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:59 pm Man, that last trailer. I'm sorry, but I can't understand a thing with all that mumbling. It's as if enunciating is a lost art form. And who are they whispering to?
I watched it and I have to say, I don't think I've been that annoyed by a film in ages. For a movie purporting to be all about the King, they failed to cover even the most basic facts.

At no point did they explore the King's complex relationship with his mother, nor did they even go into any details on his career long compatriot, the Colonel. Sun Records was never even mentioned, for God's sake.

And while they did feature his early courtship of Priscilla, they failed to capture the anguish he felt while stationed overseas and away from her during his days in the army.

Honestly, I think I'm even more disappointed in this movie than I was the documentary about Babe Ruth that featured just a talking pig and a bunch of farm animals.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:47 pm Honestly, I think I'm even more disappointed in this movie than I was the documentary about Babe Ruth that featured just a talking pig and a bunch of farm animals.
What did you expect? The Natural? :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In all seriousness, I actually enjoyed The King for the most part. I’m a sucker for somewhat fictionalized history epics. But good lord, who scored this film? Half the time I thought I was watching a horror film. The background music made every scene one instance after another of expecting Michael Myers or Jason Vorhees to appear from out of nowhere. It was oppressive, ominous and foreboding throughout. Although in thinking it over afterwards I can’t help but wonder if that was purely intentional, given the somber tone of this film. Still, even one minute of respite from that atmosphere would have been gladly accepted.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

6 Underground with Ryan Reynolds.

...save your time.

The film features parkour. It’s almost 2020, for Christ’s sake. Also, there’s roughly one 45 second snippet of a song every 50 seconds. I’m guessing the record labels paid for quite a bit of this movie.

It’s not awful, it’s just not worth 2 hours of anyone’s time.

Edit: didn’t realize it’s a Bay film. Should have guessed though. It has all his tell tale missteps.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

And it's a Netflix movie on top of that. :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Rolling Stone review made me chuckle.
This is a Michael Bay movie. It’s like someone is repeatedly poking you in the parts of your brain that register mere sensation, and keeps hammering away until a line of drool drops from your downturned lip. I get it. So do you. You’re not going to watch it. Or you are going watch it, and either decry the death of all Western civilization or pump your fists in the air. It’s another lingerie catalogue sprinkled with carnage.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Makes me wonder if he had this at the bottom of his drawer and went to Netflix knowing they'd accept anything from big names.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

hepcat wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:16 pm 6 Underground with Ryan Reynolds.

there’s roughly one 45 second snippet of a song every 50 seconds.
Do they use the Sneaker Pimps song at least?

I was a little confused how they stretched that song out into a 90 minute movie. :mrgreen:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

90 minutes? If only. This thing goes on for over 2 hours.

By the way, I was honestly surprised at how gory the movie was. There are numerous scenes of Eli Roth levels of gore in it.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tyler Perry's A Fall from Grace

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:27 pm 90 minutes? If only. This thing goes on for over 2 hours.

By the way, I was honestly surprised at how gory the movie was. There are numerous scenes of Eli Roth levels of gore in it.
You may have just sold me on this movie....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would have assumed you already watched it. :shock:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:26 pm Image
Since when do critics like action popcorn flicks anyway? It was fun for what it was, I enjoyed it. Ryan Reynolds does well in action movies.
Holman

Post by Holman »

gilraen wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:46 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:26 pm Image
Since when do critics like action popcorn flicks anyway? It was fun for what it was, I enjoyed it. Ryan Reynolds does well in action movies.
67% is pretty low for a crowd-pleaser.

The usual "critics-hate-it/fans-love-it" ratio is more like 29/89.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Highly recommend Haji/Giri. Set in Japan and London it is a very well done crime/police drama.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Jaddison wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:20 pm Highly recommend Haji/Giri. Set in Japan and London it is a very well done crime/police drama.
I’m in the middle of this and I’ll second this recommendation! A few interesting twists too.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Altered carbon s2 drops Feb 27!