News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Isgrimnur »

Don't want to muck up the series threads.

Duncan Jones, 'Mute'
We’re really excited to see Duncan Jones return to his roots after taking on Warcraft earlier this year. His next movie Mute just went before cameras earlier this week in Berlin, and it turns out that you might not have to go to theaters to see it. Speaking to the Empire Podcast, the film’s star Alexander Skarsgård revealed that Netflix will be distributing the movie.
Mute is set in a futuristic Berlin, and will take place in the same world as his debut film, Moon. It will be about a mute bartender (Skarsgård), who works to track down a missing partner and runs into a surgeon (portrayed by Paul Rudd) who helps him. Earlier this month, Jones noted that Mute is the second entry in a projected trilogy.
Hopefully they can get Moon on streaming as well. It truly is an excellent film.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by hepcat »

That and Source Code are excellent sci fi films. Warcraft was just not something he should have taken on. The money was probably good, but it seems like his heart just wasn't in it. And I've heard it shows in the films impersonal and formulaic presentation.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

War Machine with Brad Pitt. Definitely not the Marvel character and totally not General McChrystal.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Death Note - live action version of the anime.

https://twitter.com/BrightNetflix/statu ... 8193404928
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Irishman from Scorsese with Pacino and Pesci.

Deadline
Martin Scorsese’s The Irishman, starring Robert De Niro, might be heading to Netflix, which apparently offered $105M for a full buyout of the film this afternoon after its Mexican financier, Gaston Pavlovich of Fabrica de Cine fell out, two sources involved with the project told Deadline tonight. Meanwhile, it is known that STX already had signed agreements with all output partners to the tune of $50M, with about $40M more accumulated in tax credits and incentives. The negotiations were continuing late into the day Tuesday, and at 5 PM it was still at Paramount Pictures, which still has its $15M deal domestic rights.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Netflix: The Monster That’s Eating Hollywood
It is expanding into new genres such as children’s fare, reality TV and stand-up comedy specials—including a $40 million deal for two shows by Chris Rock. The shift has unnerved some TV networks that had become used to Netflix’s original content being focused on scripted dramas and sitcoms.

Netflix’s spending on original and acquired programming this year is expected to be more than $6 billion, up from $5 billion last year, more than double what Time Warner Inc.’s HBO spends and five times as much as 21st Century Fox’s FX or CBS Corp.’s Showtime. It spent close to $10 million an episode on “The Crown,” a lavish period drama about a young Queen Elizabeth II.

Its shock-and-awe spending—combined with that of Amazon and other new players—is driving up costs industrywide and creating a scarcity of people and equipment.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I don't think I've watched a single Netflix (or Amazon) created program. If they keep thinning out their movie library in favor of these new shows, I'll have to cancel. I just want to watch movies and occasionally binge an old series.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Bakhtosh wrote:I don't think I've watched a single Netflix (or Amazon) created program.
:shock:

I'm completely the opposite - I now use Netflix almost entirely for their exclusives. Other than perhaps HBO, they have been putting out the best new shows of any network, IMO.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt!!!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
Bakhtosh wrote:I don't think I've watched a single Netflix (or Amazon) created program.
:shock:

I'm completely the opposite - I now use Netflix almost entirely for their exclusives. Other than perhaps HBO, they have been putting out the best new shows of any network, IMO.
I wouldn't say I have them for only Netflix content, but I certainly think they've proved they can put out great content, and I watch a lot of it as well. Among other things, their stand up content is fantastic now, and their support of MST3K gives them a lot of extra credit in my book.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Outlaw King
In one of the first major deals coming together as Scott Stuber takes the reins as head of Netflix feature films, the director and stars of Hell Or High Water are in final talks to re-team in Outlaw King, an epic period drama that will tell a different version than Braveheart did on Robert The Bruce, the king who led his country to freedom from the oppressive rule of England in Scotland.

Netflix isn’t commenting, but I’ve heard the plan is for David Mackenzie to direct, with his Hell Or High Water star Chris Pine finalizing a deal to play the Scottish king. Ben Foster is in talks to play James Douglas, the Scottish knight who became the king’s chief adviser. Bash Doran (The Looming Tower) wrote the draft. Sigma Films’ Gillian Berrie is producing with Anonymous Content’s Richard Brown and Steve Golin. The film is slated to shoot in Scotland in August.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Thanks to RM9 for recommending it to me last year, I'm almost done with the 2nd season of F is for Family:
Set in the 1970s, this animated raunchy comedy is inspired by the life of stand-up comic Bill Burr, who is a co-creator and executive producer of the series. Burr also voices the character of Frank Murphy, a short-tempered veteran who lives in the suburbs with his wife, Sue (Laura Dern) and their three children. Frank, who works at an airport, has a penchant for shouting and profanity-filled rants. The series celebrates all things 1970s, including the lifestyle, the music, and all sorts of other nostalgic details.
Fair warning - they take full advantage of the fact that they're on Netflix. The cursing is one thing, but you probably aren't ready for what you're going to see in a very special episode of Season 1. They're quick episodes (~25 minutes) and I've enjoyed them all. It's well written and pretty damn funny.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm almost done with the 2nd season of F is for Family:
Set in the 1970s, this animated raunchy comedy is inspired by the life of stand-up comic Bill Burr, who is a co-creator and executive producer of the series. Burr also voices the character of Frank Murphy, a short-tempered veteran who lives in the suburbs with his wife, Sue (Laura Dern) and their three children. Frank, who works at an airport, has a penchant for shouting and profanity-filled rants. The series celebrates all things 1970s, including the lifestyle, the music, and all sorts of other nostalgic details.
Fair warning - they take full advantage of the fact that they're on Netflix. The cursing is one thing, but you probably aren't ready for what you're going to see in a very special episode of Season 1. They're quick episodes (~25 minutes) and I've enjoyed them all. It's well written and pretty damn funny.
Episode 1, Scene 1:
Father yells and curses at wife.
Scene 2:
Father yells and curses at oldest son.
Scene 3:
Father yells and curses at co-workers.
Scene 4:
Father yells and curses at neighbors.
Scene 5:
Father yells and curses at children and wife.

Episode 2, Scene 1:
Father yells and curses at wife.
Scene 2:
Father yells and curses at oldest son.
Scene 3:
Father yells and curses at co-workers.
Scene 4:
Father yells and curses at neighbors.
Scene 5:
Father yells and curses at children and wife.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So much yelling. It's fantastic. :D
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B wrote:So much yelling. It's fantastic. :D
Bill Burr is one of my favorite comedians, but by Season 2 this repetition of angry dad is getting to be too much.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

I just watched the first episode of Glow that came out today. If you haven't heard about it, it stars Alison Brie and Marc Maron and is a fictional account of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling from the 1980s. I don't know how the rest of the season will be but this first episode was really, really great. Hilarious and full of '80s awesomeness. Oh, and it also features a lot of naked Alison Brie...
Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman wrote:I just watched the first episode of Glow that came out today. If you haven't heard about it, it stars Alison Brie and Marc Maron and is a fictional account of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling from the 1980s. I don't know how the rest of the season will be but this first episode was really, really great. Hilarious and full of '80s awesomeness. Oh, and it also features a lot of naked Alison Brie...
Guys, guys! I'm up to episode 7 and this show is really good! It is my strongly held opinion that you should watch it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's on the list...just need to find some time to watch it. I've heard nothing but good things about it.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Agreed on GLOW.

It is amazing that they can take a crappy show that was unbearable to watch and make such a good show about it. I thought it would be a crappy over the top show but it actually provides a decent look at the bizarre behind the scenes of creating wrestling characters that work.

I missed my calling because I would revel in being able to be that mean little conniving twerp that is always doing evil shit to make sure his guys win.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote:War Machine with Brad Pitt. Definitely not the Marvel character and totally not General McChrystal.
I'm not sure why they need a real figure as the basis for the character. It's a satire, not a docudrama.

Brad Pitt gives it his best George C. Scott, somewhere between Patton and Turgidson.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Great GLOW back and forth.
I just don't get it man, why did you hire me if you don't like my work?

What are you talking about Sam, your movies are fucking hysterical.

They're not comedies!?!
:lol:
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

The wife and I are watching GLOW and it's really good.

Good memories to be had from watching.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I watched the first three episodes of GLOW last night and like it quite a bit. That said, I also liked Girl Boss and that show was panned by critics and cancelled by Netflix.

I like Kimmy Schmidt mostly but just haven't gotten into it enough to continue watching. Part of it is that awful, awful song intro. It was cute the first time but grates on my nerves now.

F is for Family is great. It's like the Simpsons but with way more cursing.

Obviously, my wife and I are watching Orange is the New Black. If you haven't seen it what rock have you been living under?
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Captain Caveman

EvilHomer3k wrote:I watched the first three episodes of GLOW last night and like it quite a bit. That said, I also liked Girl Boss and that show was panned by critics and cancelled by Netflix.

I like Kimmy Schmidt mostly but just haven't gotten into it enough to continue watching. Part of it is that awful, awful song intro. It was cute the first time but grates on my nerves now.

F is for Family is great. It's like the Simpsons but with way more cursing.

Obviously, my wife and I are watching Orange is the New Black. If you haven't seen it what rock have you been living under?
Orange is the New Black has had many ups and downs over it's tenure. I thought last season was a swing back in the right direction, but this new season has left me cold. My wife and I abandoned it about half way through.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I honestly wish Orange is the New Black had been a limited run of maybe 3 seasons. It feels like it has outstayed its welcome. I'm watching it more now out of a feeling of obligation than any real desire.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

YellowKing wrote:I'm watching it more now out of a feeling of obligation than any real desire.
There's too much new content for me to maintain my completionist attitude. I had to stop watching The Flash and Bloodline because it was out of habit or obligation and not the quality of the show.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

A Dark Crystal prequel is on the way. Not quite sure how I feel about that one.

Side note: I'm intrigued by all these Netflix shows, but really need to figure out the wifi situation in my house so I can use Netflix more regularly. I used to watch shows every night before bed on my iPad. When we finished our basement, however, the only place for my router is in the back of the basement utility closet, which makes reception up to my bedroom virtually nil. With my rudimentary tech knowledge, I've tried multiple combinations of routers, range extenders, etc, and nothing seems to work. My room is apparently this wifi impenetrable black hole.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Honestly, I find their shows very hit & miss. I like House of Cards and Narcos, but the other stuff I wouldn't miss if they'd cancel it. Until recently, it seemed they had greenlit a lot of shows without cancelling any. I know they've been wanting people to watch more of their own content, but you'd think they would also be more choosy.

Speaking of which, is Narcos getting a new season?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rumpy wrote:Speaking of which, is Narcos getting a new season?
Yes, they were greenlit for seasons 3 and 4 last year.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

We've been enjoying Master of None, but you can't binge it because the millennial preciousness builds up after just a few episodes.

Does Bojack Horseman still count? That show was/is brilliant.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Max Peck wrote:
Rumpy wrote:Speaking of which, is Narcos getting a new season?
Yes, they were greenlit for seasons 3 and 4 last year.

Good to hear. With what happened at the end of season 3, I wasn't sure if it could quite go on, but at the same time it seemed to leave it open to the possibility. Such a good show :)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Just finished GLOW and I think it's fantastic. If you like Orange is the new black or Weeds, this is in that area. Just good honest characters I thought, enough drama and levity mixed in. I'm just dissapointed that it's a short 10 episodes. Wish they'd done like 1 hourish episodes. Eagerly looking forward to the next installment.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

We just watched Episode 8 of GLOW and it's just fantastic, it really is.

Disappointed we are almost done with the season though.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Captain Caveman

I just finished it last night. It was great all the way through the end. Marc Maron really is a national treasure. :)
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I'm hooked on Terrace House. Why?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Skinypupy wrote:A Dark Crystal prequel is on the way. Not quite sure how I feel about that one.

Side note: I'm intrigued by all these Netflix shows, but really need to figure out the wifi situation in my house so I can use Netflix more regularly. I used to watch shows every night before bed on my iPad. When we finished our basement, however, the only place for my router is in the back of the basement utility closet, which makes reception up to my bedroom virtually nil. With my rudimentary tech knowledge, I've tried multiple combinations of routers, range extenders, etc, and nothing seems to work. My room is apparently this wifi impenetrable black hole.
Have you considered the new generation of mesh routers? (Eero, Samsung, Google, TP-Link, Netgear, Linksys) Sorry for the Verge overload, but I had the Eero review up.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hrothgar wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:A Dark Crystal prequel is on the way. Not quite sure how I feel about that one.

Have you considered the new generation of mesh routers? (Eero, Samsung, Google, TP-Link, Netgear, Linksys) Sorry for the Verge overload, but I had the Eero review up.
Will give those a look, thanks.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Smoove_B wrote:Thanks to RM9 for recommending it to me last year, I'm almost done with the 2nd season of F is for Family:
Awesome show. The writers did a really good job on the entire season and learning more back story on the characters. Highly recommended.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote:
Hrothgar wrote:

Will give those a look, thanks.
FWIW, I set the in-laws up with Google WiFi units and they have performed very well. Bonus: a trained monkey could set it up. I bought the 3 pack, used two for the in-laws and the third for my own home. To put the performance in context, we have 3 levels, the sole Google unit is in the basement and we have very good coverage throughout the house and yard.

The two units at the in-laws (ranch home, pretty wide, main router in basement and new 2nd unit in center of main level) took them from shitty service in half the house to full bars throughout and decent connection in the yard.

The app is pretty slick, too, so long as you don't need uber-nerd levels of customizability.