News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by hepcat »

I’m not sure if you’re joking, or under the mistaken impression that my post was something other than a lighthearted joke about the silliness of 70’s tv. :?
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

You may be, but it felt like a jab in my direction. Thanks for clarifying though.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

How can anything involving Automan be insulting? He’s like Tron...but with 80 percent more car.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

But what can compare to Super Force?

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill raise

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Call

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Time Trax... that brings back memories. It was my favourite show when I was ten. I was so bummed when it ended... I kept tuning in with my dad each week and wondering what happened to it. Before the internet, it wasn't easy to find out a show had ended.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Successful enough for a SNES game, apparently.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Any thread potentially involving bad television that doesn’t include a clip from Small Wonder is a winner for me.

I loved Time Trax when I was kid. But am I mishearing something, or is there the sound of breaking glass when our hero travels back in time in that clip at the 23 second mark? :?

“I’m going back to 1980! Computer, close window too quickly!”
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Liked Time Trax. I think around the same time I watched it I also watched Dark Skys. The original 1990s version.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

hepcat wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:38 am Any thread potentially involving bad television that doesn’t include a clip from Small Wonder is a winner for me.
Small Wonder? Is that the gritty reboot where androids pretend to be human to infiltrate and destroy humanity?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Back when I was younger and didn't know any better, I watched an entire syndication run of Small Wonder. Oh, the humanity. That's a show that they could easily remake into a horror show as it would make even more sense.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My daughter got hooked on FULL HOUSE and has now watched the entire series 5 times. I am not exaggerating or trying to be funny. That's 192 episodes that she's watched 5 times each. If you do the math, that's over 350 hours of FULL HOUSE. It got so bad that I tried to get her hooked on FAMILY MATTERS just for a change of pace. That's what you call desperation.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm sure it didn't help when Netflix announced the sequel series.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I can't imagine watching a series more than twice. I don't think it's something I did as a kid either except in situations where there was nothing else to do. Yet, Mrs. Nym will re-watch her favourite shows.

I did re-watch several series because Mrs. Nym hadn't seen them before. E.g. assorted Star Treks, X-Files, etc. The experience was more enjoyable than I anticipated... as much as you remember, there's really a lot you forget. But there's so much good stuff out there I haven't seen yet, re-watching anything solo seems like a poor use of time. I guess it depends on your intentions. I have to give what I'm watching my full attention. Mrs. Nym sometimes watches things for background noise. I don't even like to re-watch movies unless they're very special to me.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rumpy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:11 pm What the hell? Can't anyone have an objective opinion anymore?
OK, I just need to say this.

I don't think "an opinion" is ever "objective". If you are trying to argue that something is actually objective, you are trying to say it's not subject to people's opinions.

So, no - no one can have an objective opinion, ever. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And yet it’s safe to say that Manimal was objectively awful in my opinion.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Unagi wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:23 pm
I don't think "an opinion" is ever "objective". If you are trying to argue that something is actually objective, you are trying to say it's not subject to people's opinions.
Gah, you're so... right! I'm not sure what came over me? I think I meant subjective, because being objective to an opinion certainly wasn't my objective.

Sorry Hep! My Bad!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:26 pm Sorry Hep! My Bad. My...Breaking Bad.
FTFY
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:41 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:26 pm Sorry Hep! My Bad. My...Breaking Bad.
FTFY
I walked right into that one, didn't I? :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Good news: Tuca and Bertie, which got canceled after one season on Netflix, has been picked up by the Cartoon Network for next year. If you didn't see it, it's by the artist that does Bojack Horseman, but is more bizarre and less depressing. I really enjoyed it.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We watched THE LOVEBIRDS last night. This one was due for a theatrical release (I remember seeing the trailer at an actual movie theater), but it got pushed direct to Netflix due to Covid-19.

It was, for lack of a better word, "cute." The plot is forgettable, but it has a few LOL moments and a sweet message. In these dark times, I actually found it really refreshing. It's a bit of an old-fashioned comedy caper that they don't really make anymore. Great little date night movie.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oof, the critics are not being kind to Space Force. 48 percent and holding on RT. It's being called painfully unfunny by more than a few top critics.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That's the bad kind of unfunny, right?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No, it's a double negative which actually means that it's the greatest comedy ever written.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The daughters and I are catching up on She-Ra. The episode 'Hero' in season 4--wow. Nice to see the series loving up to its potential.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:55 pm Oof, the critics are not being kind to Space Force. 48 percent and holding on RT. It's being called painfully unfunny by more than a few top critics.
Gave it a shot anyway. The first episode is alright, it's not until 5-10 min into the second one you realize that it's a stinker.
We ended up just re-watching Best in Show.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Archinerd wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:05 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:55 pm Oof, the critics are not being kind to Space Force. 48 percent and holding on RT. It's being called painfully unfunny by more than a few top critics.
Gave it a shot anyway. The first episode is alright, it's not until 5-10 min into the second one you realize that it's a stinker.
We ended up just re-watching Best in Show.
Funny, I've watched the first three and really liked the second episode.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I watched the first 15 minutes of episode 1 before moving onto something else. It didn’t strike me as horrible, but I also didn’t see anything compelling enough to make me sit through the entire thing.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I felt the same about Hollywood. Revisionist history at its worst. We made it to the 4th episode before realizing it wasn't going to get any better. When there are so many better things on TV and Netflix, these things aren't worth the time.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Had a group viewing of the first three episodes last night, and I could see where they humor was supposed to be, it just didn't land at all for me.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I've now seen 7 episodes of Space Force. It's a show about good people trapped in a crazy situation trying to do the best they can given their own motivations. For the general, it is because he is a general and his commander told him to get it done. It's not laugh out loud funny, but I think it's good and am enjoying it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote:The daughters and I are catching up on She-Ra. The episode 'Hero' in season 4--wow. Nice to see the series loving up to its potential.
We just wrapped up the series. What a fun ride and they did a great job with the final season.

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Finished up Season 2 of Altered Carbon and was rather meh on it. I loved the first season and found it quite unique, but this one seemed too confusing, especially the second to last episode. It also seemed like they had a much lower budget as it felt like they didn't do nearly as much as the first season did in terms of where they went with the story. It had a much wider scope. This season felt more like something that would air on Syfy.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah... I still enjoyed it, but it was pretty disappointing. I thought Mackie did a good job, but Kinnaman and the disturbing plot of season one set a high water mark they just couldn't reach. Season two might have had Simone Missick/Trepp (and still has Chris Conner/Poe), but it missed the likes of James Purefoy and Martha Higareda/Ortega. It's really neat that the story allows (and necessitates) that they recast characters, but it can make it very difficult to connect with the roles. I specifically found that to be the case with Jaeger this season. He was a character I wanted to know more about, but the "reveal" fell flat because he just felt so different to me. Also, I would have loved more Michael Shanks.

I think it might be a setting that struggles to sustain it's wonder, but I hope to be proven wrong by a possible season 3. (I also haven't read the books; I gave the first one a glance, but I generally struggle to settle in to first-person fiction.) Looks like it hasn't been confirmed, which makes me nervous... though some fan sites seem to be talking like it has.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ditto. I enjoyed it, but I still prefer season 1. Once I got past the whole "wait...this is Falcon!" issue (entirely on me, I know), I thought Mackie did a great job. But I just didn't really enjoy the story as much.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:05 am It's really neat that the story allows (and necessitates) that they recast characters, but it can make it very difficult to connect with the roles.
Oh, absolutely. I think the best comparison can be made with Westworld Season 2. Both feature a way for characters to come back after being killed, and in some cases even come back in entirely different versions of the characters, and in theory this should be fun, but both have abused their concepts and cheapen any emotional attachment with characters by making things needlessly confusing. I don't really feel doing this is fair to the viewer either, as viewers can't see the writer and director's intent until the last minute as they're not given that information. This kind of formatting isn't really fun to watch. The concepts work better when they're not used as cheap writing moves.

Another thing is, I felt Season 1 had a distinct vibe that seemed to not be present in Season 2. And I think my favourite new character was Digg. Not the governor, not Carerra, but Digg, even though she was technically a minor supporting character. There was something special about her and her interactions with Poe that I wanted to see them explore more. I might be wrong, but I kind of doubt there will be a 3rd season. If there is, my hope is that they'll pull things back a bit more and not use so many cheap tricks. It's funny that we've had two recent series introduce interesting concepts which they've doubled-up on during the second seasons. I feel simpler more straightforward stories using these concepts work better. Writers need to excersize restraint and let their shows breathe.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

After satisfactory conclusions to season 1 for Ozark and Westworld, I felt no need to continue. Though I'm told Ozark is worth it.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Jaymann wrote:After satisfactory conclusions to season 1 for Ozark and Westworld, I felt no need to continue. Though I'm told Ozark is worth it.
It is. I had actually watched 2 episodes when it first came out and it didn't really grab me. During a coronavirus driven binge session I decided to try again and now I'm on season 3. It definitely is worth it. All sorts of fun twists and turns.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:46 pm I just started watching Kim's Convenience last night. It's pretty fun.
Okay, well into season 2 and while everyone is excellent (especially appa), I find Mr. Mehta frigging hysterical. His comic timing is fantastic. I need to find some of his other appearances.
Covfefe!