News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by hepcat »

I need to go back and finish The Fall someday. I started watching it, but got distracted by something else at the time.

Her David Bowie and other characters in American Gods usually gets high marks from critics as well.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

"Come on, swing it."
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:39 pm Kim's Convenience is hilarious. My wife somehow found it and got us started on it.
I watched the first 3 last night because of your post. They are really good. The father is fantastic.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:49 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:39 pm Kim's Convenience is hilarious. My wife somehow found it and got us started on it.
I watched the first 3 last night because of your post. They are really good. The father is fantastic.
Agreed. "STOP."
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'm a bit late to the party, but I've been blowing my way through Santa Clarita Diet recently, and that show is great. Can't wait to see how Season 2 ends (I think I have 2 or 3 eps left), and I'm glad it's been given a 3rd season.
Hodor.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Discovered yesterday that Happy! got added to Netflix. I never did finish the series. Watched the last episode. I enjoyed it a lot. But I doubt that it's for everyone.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Somebody, it may have been hepcat, posted a scene from a Canadian series that had dudes that were going to fight. They took their shirts off and held each other's spit jars. Hilarious dialog...anybody know what I am talking about?

If somebody could jog my memory I'd appreciate it.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

TheMix wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:30 pm Discovered yesterday that Happy! got added to Netflix. I never did finish the series. Watched the last episode. I enjoyed it a lot. But I doubt that it's for everyone.
I may have to get to this soon, since the second season comes out on SyFy in 2019 and I missed the first season.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Isgrimnur »

Z-Corn wrote:Somebody, it may have been hepcat, posted a scene from a Canadian series that had dudes that were going to fight. They took their shirts off and held each other's spit jars. Hilarious dialog...anybody know what I am talking about?

Letterkenny on Hulu.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:35 pm Somebody, it may have been hepcat, posted a scene from a Canadian series that had dudes that were going to fight. They took their shirts off and held each other's spit jars. Hilarious dialog...anybody know what I am talking about?

It was actually Issie. I just replied to his post after watching the first episode and laughing my ass off.

Letterkenny is the show. You can find the whole thing on Hulu. The first two seasons are great, but it starts to wear out its welcome after that.

Edit: Damn it, I've been BAMMED!
Covfefe!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:14 pm
Z-Corn wrote:Somebody, it may have been hepcat, posted a scene from a Canadian series that had dudes that were going to fight. They took their shirts off and held each other's spit jars. Hilarious dialog...anybody know what I am talking about?

Letterkenny on Hulu.
Yes, thank you, that's the one. Watchlisted.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:15 pm
Edit: Damn it, I've been BAMMED!
So close!

Thank you for your effort...
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That series is actually filmed in town.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Going to recommend the series called Dogs. It's a documentary series where each episode has a story about a dog and their owner. Not too far into it yet, but the 2nd episode impressed me the most so far; a story of a Syrian refugee living in Germany trying smuggle his dog from who's stuck in a wartorn Syria, to rejoin him in Germany after not seeing him for 2+ years.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

gameoverman wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:48 pmI'd classify him as a 'movie star' and not as an 'actor'. He's the kind of person you cast when you have a role that calls for what he brings to the table. I think that's why he worked so well in Boogie Nights. That movie has many qualities, but one for sure is excellent casting. Everyone in that movie is being used to their full potential. I don't mean this as a put down either.
All of this. He was particularly perfect for that Boogie Nights role. Hell, I wonder if it was written with him in mind?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:05 pm
Agreed. "STOP."
:lol:

Just watched the Wingman episode last night. Watching the Dad talk about Maverick and Goose was fantastic. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:26 am
gameoverman wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:48 pmI'd classify him as a 'movie star' and not as an 'actor'. He's the kind of person you cast when you have a role that calls for what he brings to the table. I think that's why he worked so well in Boogie Nights. That movie has many qualities, but one for sure is excellent casting. Everyone in that movie is being used to their full potential. I don't mean this as a put down either.
All of this. He was particularly perfect for that Boogie Nights role. Hell, I wonder if it was written with him in mind?
I think I saw a draft of Anderson's script in which he had listed "desk lamp" for the role of Dirk Diggler. So you're probably right.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:05 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:26 am
I think I saw a draft of Anderson's script in which he had listed "desk lamp" for the role of Dirk Diggler. So you're probably right.
Can't set me up like that!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I watched the two competing documentaries on the Fyre Festival. Hulu's "Fyre Fraud" and Netflix's "FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened."

Both documentaries obviously have quite a bit of overlap, with interviews with some of the same folks. However, Hulu's doc scored interviews with Billy McFarland himself, which gives you a bit more insight into his thinking.

I think I found Netflix's doc the more entertaining of the two, as the lack of Billy interviews gives it more time to focus on the negatives (which, let's face it, is the most interesting part). And while Hulu's doc is definitely not sympathetic to Billy in any way, Netflix's doc seems just a bit harsher in its portrayal.

It's tough to say which one is "best." They both offer interesting insights on their own - Hulu with the Billy side of the story, and Netflix with a few more interesting anecdotes sprinkled throughout. Either way, it's a really fascinating look at a disaster driven by ego, delusion, and fraud.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just finished Sex Education, fantastic show. The entire cast is excellent (with Gillian Anderson being the highlight), it strikes a perfect balance of raunch and sentiment, and it’s funny as hell. There was only one relationship that didn’t work for me because it felt way too forced, and that was

MAJOR SPOILER
Spoiler:
Adam and Eric
Other than that, 7/8 tentacles and I really hope it gets another season.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:27 pm I watched the two competing documentaries on the Fyre Festival. Hulu's "Fyre Fraud" and Netflix's "FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened."

Both documentaries obviously have quite a bit of overlap, with interviews with some of the same folks. However, Hulu's doc scored interviews with Billy McFarland himself, which gives you a bit more insight into his thinking.

I think I found Netflix's doc the more entertaining of the two, as the lack of Billy interviews gives it more time to focus on the negatives (which, let's face it, is the most interesting part). And while Hulu's doc is definitely not sympathetic to Billy in any way, Netflix's doc seems just a bit harsher in its portrayal.

It's tough to say which one is "best." They both offer interesting insights on their own - Hulu with the Billy side of the story, and Netflix with a few more interesting anecdotes sprinkled throughout. Either way, it's a really fascinating look at a disaster driven by ego, delusion, and fraud.
Watched the Netflix one last night and really enjoyed it. Really tapped into something. There was more than a little schadenfreude at the expense of the millennial and influencer scene. But fuck 'em! :evil:
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
stessier

Post by stessier »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:07 am Just finished Sex Education, fantastic show. The entire cast is excellent (with Gillian Anderson being the highlight), it strikes a perfect balance of raunch and sentiment, and it’s funny as hell. There was only one relationship that didn’t work for me because it felt way too forced, and that was

MAJOR SPOILER
Spoiler:
Adam and Eric
I'm only five episodes in, but this is really fantastic. It's funny but has real heart. Asa Butterfield is amazing at having 100 emotions play over his face at once.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I watched THE BILL MURRAY STORIES doc last night and it damn near made me cry. It's about the myth that has grown up around Bill Murray and his infamous crashing of parties, randomly interacting with people in bars, etc.

On the surface it's about the filmmaker's attempt to get Bill to answer the question, but through his research we find out the answer ourselves and learn a valuable lesson about living life in the moment. It was that realization that brought a tear to my eye, because maybe Bill's the one that truly has it all figured out.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Polar.
Graphic Novel adaptation.
Mads Mikkelsen.
Nuff said.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:07 am Just finished Sex Education, fantastic show. The entire cast is excellent (with Gillian Anderson being the highlight), it strikes a perfect balance of raunch and sentiment, and it’s funny as hell. There was only one relationship that didn’t work for me because it felt way too forced, and that was

MAJOR SPOILER
Spoiler:
Adam and Eric
Regarding your last comment:
Spoiler:
While I agree it could have been portrayed better, the writers seeded/hinted the plotline from pretty much their very first scene in the show.
From Adam not being able to get it up properly except from behind, to his obsession with Eric's trombone, and the way they scuffle, it's set up from Ep 1. I turned to my partner and said "oh they are so gonna do it." For a couple of episodes I thought they might drop it so I was disappointed I had guessed wrong, but they did throw a few more hints in here and there. I guess it's tough to not be able to decide whether you want something like that to be obvious or a surprise.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

stimpy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:39 am Polar.
Mads Mikkelsen.
Nuff said.
I just saw this. It was a silly over the top movie but I enjoyed watching Mads employ his special skill set. Him and Liam should make a buddy movie.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

rittchard wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:37 pm

MAJOR SPOILER
Spoiler:
Adam and Eric
Spoiler:
While I agree it could have been portrayed better, the writers seeded/hinted the plotline from pretty much their very first scene in the show.
From Adam not being able to get it up properly except from behind, to his obsession with Eric's trombone, and the way they scuffle, it's set up from Ep 1. I turned to my partner and said "oh they are so gonna do it." For a couple of episodes I thought they might drop it so I was disappointed I had guessed wrong, but they did throw a few more hints in here and there. I guess it's tough to not be able to decide whether you want something like that to be obvious or a surprise.
I sorta saw it coming too, but was just hoping they wouldn't go that route. Mainly because:
Spoiler:
I really liked Eric, and severely disliked Adam. Adam didn't have a single redeeming factor, and I thought Eric deserved better.

Such are the perils of stupid teenage lust though, I suppose.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Is anyone else watching Friends from College? I think it's hilarious. I especially liked when Lisa was working at the Wall Street firm (Blackstool) with the over the top "male" culture.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:49 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:39 am Polar.
Mads Mikkelsen.
Nuff said.
I just saw this. It was a silly over the top movie but I enjoyed watching Mads employ his special skill set. Him and Liam should make a buddy movie.
I would watch Mads Mikkelsen read the morning paper for 2 hours. One of my favorites. I have this on my weekend viewing schedule. Not expecting John Wick level, but I hope it's fun!

If you haven't watched Mads as a gunslinger in the old west, run to netflix and watch The Salvation. That is one seriously good movie.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Zack Snyder Returning to Movies With Zombie Action Pic 'Army of the Dead'
Zack Snyder, who directed 2017's Justice League only to step away from movies to deal with a family tragedy, has signed on to helm Army of the Dead, a zombie horror thriller, for Netflix. Snyder will direct and produce with his partner and wife, Deborah Snyder, via their newly rebranded production company, Stone Quarry. The shingle's Wesley Coller is also producing.

Snyder also came up with the story for Army, which has a script by Joby Harold. The adventure is set amid a zombie outbreak in Las Vegas, during which a man assembles a group of mercenaries to take the ultimate gamble, venturing into the quarantined zone to pull off the greatest heist ever attempted.

Netflix, which is taking over the project from Warner Bros., where it was first set up in 2007, is going full throttle with Army. The movie is set to commence shooting this summer with a sizable budget that could reach the $90 million range, say sources.

To say Snyder is excited would be an understatement.

"There are no handcuffs on me at all with this one,” Snyder tells The Hollywood Reporter in an interview.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:55 pm

MAJOR SPOILER
Spoiler:
Adam and Eric
Spoiler:
I sorta saw it coming too, but was just hoping they wouldn't go that route. Mainly because:
Spoiler:
I really liked Eric, and severely disliked Adam. Adam didn't have a single redeeming factor, and I thought Eric deserved better.

Same.
Spoiler:
Eric was cool and Adam was the worst, so it's disappointing they went that route.
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:18 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:55 pm

MAJOR SPOILER
Spoiler:
Adam and Eric
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Same.
Spoiler:
Eric was cool and Adam was the worst, so it's disappointing they went that route.
Spoiler:
I think we are meant to have some sympathy for Adam given his dad is such an asshole and basically created a monster. I don't remember the exact scenes but I felt like there were glimmers of hope for him. If there's a second season it would be nice to see him try to redeem himself. Since it seems like they are following the plotline straight from Glee, this would likely be the direction lol.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The Bodyguard is fantastic. I started it around 8pm and ended up bingeing it until 2am to finish it. That is possibly the highest compliment I can give.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Watched Polar on Friday night. While I can understand why it isn’t getting a lot of love from folks, I enjoyed it immensely. It was just fun. It’s no John Wick though.

Also, Richard Dreyfuss!
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Womp womp.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I binged through Russian Doll yesterday. I don’t want to say much since almost anything is a spoiler, but it’s a great mix of comedy, drama, mystery, and hints of sci-fi. The lead actress, Natasha Lyonne, is perfect.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I watched VELVET BUZZSAW.

It's a strange experiment of blending an A-list cast (Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo, John Malkovich, Toni Collette), some artsy (literally) production, and a cheap Twilight Zone episode premise.

While the performances were outstanding, particularly Gyllenhaal, it came up just a bit short for me on delivering on its promise and the fantastic trailer.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:Watched Polar on Friday night. While I can understand why it isn’t getting a lot of love from folks, I enjoyed it immensely. It was just fun. It’s no John Wick though.

Also, Richard Dreyfuss!
That was Richard Dreyfuss? Wow, I didn't recognize him at all!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had to check IMDb. It sounded like him though, which is what made me look it up.
Covfefe!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

He and the actress playing his wife were on an episode of Dark Matter playing scientists on a space station Spoiler alert,
Spoiler:
she kills him and it made me laugh thinking about all the times Mr Kim annoyed Mrs Kim
I always get freaked out when he's interviewed or playing another role...no accent