News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Daehawk »

Series coming May 1

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

McNutt wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:12 am Is Galavant ok for kids?
The sites I looked at said 12+....swashbuckling, rude humor, fat jokes, sexual stuff in the songs that they sing fast on those parts..stuff like that. Oh drunken fist fights....its all fun. its a send up to fairy tales really.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I would say it's kid safe, unless you have still been successful at convincing your child that promiscuity isn't mainstream. One of the characters has a problem there.
Oh, and people do actually die occasionally, just not gruesomely.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I took one for the team and watched Extraction this morning. This is the new Netflix film starring Chris Hemsworth and created by the Russo Brothers.

It was fine. It's just... there was nothing at all that made it stand out, IMO. It was an action flick, the action was well-done but not memorable, and there wasn't a lot else to it. It wasn't bad, and I don't necessarily feel like I wasted my time so much as I could have better spent it on Galavant or Kingdom.

I much preferred Code 8, which probably cost Netflix 10% as much.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:36 pm I took one for the team and watched Extraction this morning. This is the new Netflix film starring Chris Hemsworth and created by the Russo Brothers.
How much time does Hemsworth spend shirtless? Checking to see if it is worth my wife's time. ;)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:40 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:36 pm I took one for the team and watched Extraction this morning. This is the new Netflix film starring Chris Hemsworth and created by the Russo Brothers.
How much time does Hemsworth spend shirtless? Checking to see if it is worth my wife's time. ;)
Very little, but he's still Chris Hemsworth. I don't think she'll mind.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Arselings! A new season of The Last Kingdom starts today. Destiny is all!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It was fine. It's just... there was nothing at all that made it stand out, IMO. It was an action flick, the action was well-done but not memorable, and there wasn't a lot else to it. It wasn't bad, and I don't necessarily feel like I wasted my time so much as I could have better spent it on Galavant or Kingdom.
My thoughts exactly. Extraction isn’t bad, it’s just...well...I’d rather watch Man on Fire or any of the dozens of other films with violent but sad guys looking for redemption.
$iljanus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:39 pm Arselings! A new season of The Last Kingdom starts today. Destiny is all!
Already well into it. :D
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:55 am
The sites I looked at said 12+....swashbuckling, rude humor, fat jokes, sexual stuff in the songs that they sing fast on those parts..stuff like that. Oh drunken fist fights....its all fun. its a send up to fairy tales really.
Honestly, it’s far tamer than 90 percent of what you see in prime time television on any major network. It’s also silly enough for kids to enjoy, while still being hysterically funny for adults. It was and still is a true gem.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote:
Daehawk wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:55 am
Honestly, it’s far tamer than 90 percent of what you see in prime time television on any major network. It’s also silly enough for kids to enjoy, while still being hysterically funny for adults. It was and still is a true gem.
No one mentioned that Bullet Tooth fuckin' Tony is in it? I'm in now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sorry only know him from She's the Man.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I'm disappointed with Extraction. It was just bland, and I expected so much more.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There was a cast interview for Galavant years ago in which the makers related the tale of trying to book a flight for Vinnie to come to America for either an audition or the role itself (I can’t remember). Every time they’d mention an airline, Vinnie would wince and tell them he’d been banned from that airline for bad behavior or what not. I believe it took them a few tries to finally find an airline he could fly with. The whole time they’re telling the story, Vinnie is just sitting there giggling like a kid. I tried finding it on YouTube, but failed.
Daehawk wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:26 pm Sorry only know him from She's the Man.
I...have no response to this.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I watched the first two episodes of THE MIDNIGHT GOSPEL from Adventure Time creator Pendleton Ward. And as you might expect, it is weird.

Basically it's this being named Clancy who runs a sort of galactic podcast. To get content, he uses a universe simulator to jump into various universes and hold existential conversations with random beings. For instance, in the first episode he jumps into a version of Earth suffering a zombie apocalypse and gets into a long conversation about the nature of drugs with the President.

It's trippy, the conversations are stoner-level musings but still highly entertaining, and it's occasionally laugh out loud funny just because of the absurdity.
Spoiler:
If you've ever wanted to watch a pigeon-headed avatar impaled on a dog-deer's antlers try to take a poop while still impaled on aforementioned antlers, now's your chance.
I've read that it gets better in the latter episodes, so i'll probably stick with it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:05 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:49 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:39 pm Kim's Convenience is hilarious. My wife somehow found it and got us started on it.
I watched the first 3 last night because of your post. They are really good. The father is fantastic.
Agreed. "STOP."
Speaking of late to the party. A coworker mentioned this a while back and we needed something lighter in our viewing diet after Ozark. This is hilarious and is successfully (and thankfully) wiping the memory of Schitt's Creek from my brain.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:04 am There was a cast interview for Galavant years ago in which the makers related the tale of trying to book a flight for Vinnie to come to America for either an audition or the role itself (I can’t remember). Every time they’d mention an airline, Vinnie would wince and tell them he’d been banned from that airline for bad behavior or what not. I believe it took them a few tries to finally find an airline he could fly with. The whole time they’re telling the story, Vinnie is just sitting there giggling like a kid. I tried finding it on YouTube, but failed.
Is that supposed to be endearing? I mean I agree that there is humor to found there but at the root of it it sounds like he's not a very good person.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:19 am
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:39 pm Kim's Convenience is hilarious. My wife somehow found it and got us started on it.
I watched the first 3 last night because of your post. They are really good. The father is fantastic.
Agreed. "STOP."
Speaking of late to the party. A coworker mentioned this a while back and we needed something lighter in our viewing diet after Ozark. This is hilarious and is successfully (and thankfully) wiping the memory of Schitt's Creek from my brain.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:25 am
hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:04 am There was a cast interview for Galavant years ago in which the makers related the tale of trying to book a flight for Vinnie to come to America for either an audition or the role itself (I can’t remember). Every time they’d mention an airline, Vinnie would wince and tell them he’d been banned from that airline for bad behavior or what not. I believe it took them a few tries to finally find an airline he could fly with. The whole time they’re telling the story, Vinnie is just sitting there giggling like a kid. I tried finding it on YouTube, but failed.
Is that supposed to be endearing? I mean I agree that there is humor to found there but at the root of it it sounds like he's not a very good person.
He's not. But we laugh at awful people all the time. I think the reason folks found it funny was because Vinnie is essentially a frequent movie villain who acts like an ass in real life too.

Also, we're talking curmudgeon who gets a little Russel Crowe every now and again, not Jeffrey Dahmer.
coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:19 am This is hilarious and is successfully (and thankfully) wiping the memory of Schitt's Creek from my brain.
When did your soul die? :P
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:15 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:19 am This is hilarious and is successfully (and thankfully) wiping the memory of Schitt's Creek from my brain.
When did your soul die? :P
On Kim's Convenience (only just finishing the first season) I can root for pretty much all of the main cast.

On Schitt's Creek, by the end, Alexis and David are becoming bearable. Stevie and Twyla are the only good people on the show. A show about how useless and obnoxious everyone is just doesn't work for me. The kids improve at least, the parents are another story.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Stick with Kim's Convenience. I like all the seasons but thought Season 4 was their best and it really has me looking forward to Season 5.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:37 pm A show about how useless and obnoxious everyone is just doesn't work for me. The kids improve at least, the parents are another story.
Wow, I'm not sure how anyone could get that from the show. The biggest part of every review that praises this show (and there are a lot) mentions how it succeeds WITHOUT being cynical and mean.

To each their own though. I loved the show and consider Catherine O'Hara a damn national treasure.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:41 pm To each their own though.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wasn't saying anything negative about Kim's Convenience, mind you. I've actually not watched it. Based on folks seeming to like it around here though, I'll give it a shot soon.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:49 pm I wasn't saying anything negative about Kim's Convenience, mind you. I've actually not watched it. Based on folks seeming to like it around here though, I'll give it a shot soon.
I know, I just can't resist posting Kim's memes...

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Mr. Kim is the greatest.It's funny I can't decide if I identify more with the parents or the kids.

On Schitt's Creek I probably identified the most with Roland which may be why I didn't like the show. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Who doesn't love the great Chris Elliot?
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Both Canadian TV shows that have become hugely popular outside Canada :D

As far as Schitt's Creek goes though, when it originally started up domestically, we watched one episode and that was enough for us. I was kind of surprised how popular it had become.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I'm probably late to the party on this one, but I got stuck into the Dark series over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's a quirky, mind-bending German show that tells a fascinating story which largely revolves around concepts of time travel and paradoxes. One tip I would offer to anyone interested though, is to seriously consider using the option for descriptive English audio. I found that helped immensely with keeping track of all the different character and family identities across various time periods and such. Otherwise you may need a written family tree to memorize them all. It's surprisingly well done though, and certainly lives up to its name.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:11 pm Both Canadian TV shows that have become hugely popular outside Canada :D

As far as Schitt's Creek goes though, when it originally started up domestically, we watched one episode and that was enough for us. I was kind of surprised how popular it had become.
I did the same and felt the same. People kept mentioning it so I gave it another go and my wife enjoyed it. It gets *much* better than the first episode, but never something I would choose.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:11 pm As far as Schitt's Creek goes though, when it originally started up domestically, we watched one episode and that was enough for us. I was kind of surprised how popular it had become.
And here I was thinking I'm the only who didn't get all the fuss around Schitt's Creek. I was mildly amused by the first season, and got 2-3 episodes into the second before realizing I could not possibly have cared about those characters any less.

First I've heard of Kim's Convenience, will have to check that out.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Catherine O'Hara deserved multiple Emmy awards for her performance on Schitts Creek. That's reason enough for the show's universal acclaim. But throw in the show's humanist approach to being funny which foregoes simply mocking everyone constantly for the sake of being funny and instead just accepts them, its nonchalant attitude towards homosexuality in an age where its inclusion is usually highlighted as something new and bold, and the great Catherine O'Hara (wait...did I mention her already?), and it becomes even easier to understand.

To each their own, as I said. I tried sitting through the latest Jay and Silent Bob film and made it about 12 minutes in before I realized that watching paint samples for 2 hours was funnier. And don't get me started on Clerks 2. If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. Thankfully the internet is here to let us tell everyone about it! :P
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:10 pm
Rumpy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:11 pm As far as Schitt's Creek goes though, when it originally started up domestically, we watched one episode and that was enough for us. I was kind of surprised how popular it had become.
And here I was thinking I'm the only who didn't get all the fuss around Schitt's Creek. I was mildly amused by the first season, and got 2-3 episodes into the second before realizing I could not possibly have cared about those characters any less.
Yeah, there's certainly a lot of hype, and most of it is due to the cast who are legends in their own right. I've read a good article about the rise of Schitt's Creek and I think it explains a lot:

https://www.vulture.com/2020/04/schitts ... story.html

I think I have trouble with comedies in general. I prefer my comedies to be more subtle. Most of the modern popular comedies such as Schitt's Creek, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and even The Good Place, are so so hyper, almost like they were written for the ADHD crowd. They also tend to revolve around a lot of pop-culture references that are often lost on me and my parents.

I prefer Corner Gas when it comes to domestic comedies.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:29 pm Catherine O'Hara deserved multiple Emmy awards for her performance on Schitts Creek. That's reason enough for the show's universal acclaim. But throw in the show's humanist approach to being funny which foregoes simply mocking everyone constantly for the sake of being funny and instead just accepts them, its nonchalant attitude towards homosexuality in an age where its inclusion is usually highlighted as something new and bold, and the great Catherine O'Hara (wait...did I mention her already?), and it becomes even easier to understand.
I didn't think it was particularly bad, I just found it incredibly bland. Their style of humor just doesn't connect for me, I guess. But like you said, different strokes and all that.
To each their own, as I said. I tried sitting through the latest Jay and Silent Bob film and made it about 12 minutes in before I realized that watching paint samples for 2 hours was funnier. And don't get me started on Clerks 2. If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. Thankfully the internet is here to let us tell everyone about it! :P
Yeah, it was basically one giant in-joke...accompanied by giant flashing neon arrows saying "HEY REMEMBER HOW YOU THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY WHEN WE DID THIS BEFORE? HERE IT IS AGAIN BUT SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT!!". I actually like all the Jay & Silent Bob movies quite a bit, and even I struggled with the new one. It was mediocre, at best.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:10 pm
I had heard that it got better as the series went on, so I gave it a shot. I'm not sure exactly when I stopped watching for good, but it was somewhere near the 6th or 7th episode. It just never found it funny and disliked every character.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:29 pm If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. Thankfully the internet is here to let us tell everyone about it! :P
:lol:
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:40 am
coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:19 am
Agreed. "STOP."
yeah, but chickens have 2 wings (usually) ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Technically eggs are the food a baby chick consumes while it is incubating.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:20 pm Technically eggs are the food a baby chick consumes while it is incubating.
Could somebody please slap the books out of this nerd's hands?

Just in case it's not clear: :P
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

stimpy wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:40 pm
Lassr wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:53 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:15 pm
hepcat wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:20 pm Kingdom season 1 is pretty cool. I’m only one episode in but it’s already a winner for me. South Korea a few hundred or so years ago is experiencing a strange contagion that’s sickened the emperor, leaving the crown prince having to deal with his stepmother and her duplicitous family.

But that contagion isn’t really small pox. It tends to reanimate its victims, turning them into...well, watch it and find out.
Season 2
Spoiler:
Started watching Kingdom this week, 2 episodes in and I'm hooked.
It is a great series. Makes The Walking Dead look like the joke that it is.
2 episodes left in season 2 and this has been a superbly written story!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter