News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by McNutt »

You didn't like The Ballad of Buster Scruggs or The Irishman?

Their movies don't have a great track record, but they have some amazing shows for sure.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, I've yet to see The Irishman. I keep meaning to, but its length means I have to make sure I have enough time for it. But didn't care much for Buster Scruggs. I felt that at most, there were two good stories and the rest was weak.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Rumpy wrote:Well, I've yet to see The Irishman. I keep meaning to, but its length means I have to make sure I have enough time for it. But didn't care much for Buster Scruggs. I felt that at most, there were two good stories and the rest was weak.
I was perfectly happy watching the Irishman in small chunks. Then again, I didn't feel like I was missing anything whenever I nodded off since I kind of felt like it was just going in circles and it was easy to pick it back up.

Joe Pesci was really good though.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Tao

Post by Tao »

I finished watching Giri/Haji as well last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Good story, excellent characters, some great acting. Seemed like the show tried to be a bit "artsy" at times in eclectic ways that didn't always mesh, the Japanese watercolour images, the opening narratives, the split screen shots and the sequence
Spoiler:
on the roof
toward the end of the final episode. collectively it seemed a bit disjointed stylistically but individually it seemed to work. The over arcing story wasn't exactly original but I really liked all the characters and how human and flawed and real they all seemed. My only complaint was,
Spoiler:
again the turn of events on the roof, Taki threatening to jump felt completely out of character and I really thought Kenzo was trying hard to be a good dad. He may have been a crappy husband who fell out of love with his wife, but he came across as a caring father who tried to be there for his daughter. When she came out he took it really well and I thought that was a great scene where he discusses it briefly with Sarah. I am also still undecided how I feel about the dance sequence. It was interesting to watch and was a powerful moment and I get what they were trying to say but it also felt off, like I just switched channels to an odd version of West Side Story or an old 50's musical dream sequence or something.
If they do a season 2 it will be interesting to see where they go but honestly I can be satisfied with they way they left things in season one. They may not have tied up every loose end but they did enough to give me a sense of closure and the rest is just up to the viewer to decide. Taki's statement in the final scene could simply sum it all up.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Tao wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:46 am
Spoiler:
I am also still undecided how I feel about the dance sequence. It was interesting to watch and was a powerful moment and I get what they were trying to say but it also felt off, like I just switched channels to an odd version of West Side Story or an old 50's musical dream sequence or something.
Spoiler:
I'm not even sure what they were trying to say with that. It seemed to be more of a symbolism thing, like a dance of duality or something. It was a dance featuring most of the major characters they had ended up being connected to. Although what's odd is that in that sequence, the Yakuza or the Cockney gangster are nowhere to be found and are back on the rooftop once the sequence ends.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I stumbled upon this completely by chance due to Netflix's terrible UI, but there's a movie based on the Ni No Kuni games available on Netflix. Watched it earlier and it's quite good. Follows the same basic concept of different worlds and characters linked by fate.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:03 pm I stumbled upon this completely by chance due to Netflix's terrible UI, but there's a movie based on the Ni No Kuni games available on Netflix. Watched it earlier and it's quite good. Follows the same basic concept of different worlds and characters linked by fate.
It was released January 16th, so it's only been up for a month.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:56 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:03 pm I stumbled upon this completely by chance due to Netflix's terrible UI, but there's a movie based on the Ni No Kuni games available on Netflix. Watched it earlier and it's quite good. Follows the same basic concept of different worlds and characters linked by fate.
It was released January 16th, sow it's only been up for a month.
Yeah, but the year says 2019, and with the way Netflix categorizes everything, it's hard to know when things are actually released. I just wish they'd have a new releases page. Currently you have to go through every genre list to see what's new, and even then it's not very accurate and timely.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The solution to that is to hit the web.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, unfortunately for Netflix. One can't search for what they don't know about.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Exodor wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:09 pm Just finished Stranger Things Season 3.

Now the long wait begins for Season 4. :|
Tao

Post by Tao »

Netflix served up Ni No Kuni last month as a suggested title. I though it was pretty good as well.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:06 pm I didn't find the first season to be quite as good as the regular Narcos. It was quite a step down IMHO.
And the second season is a soap opera. Half way through and all they do is talk... And talk. I want to watch kingpins do kingpin stuff... Not telenovela.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Conversely, I want to see how kingpins got to be kingpins, and how they held that position. The talking you mention isn't in service to cheesy love stories or goofy plot devices, they're the Machiavellian twists and turns behind the power of the cartels.

I'm hooked on season 2, myself. Granted, Escobar is a more eccentric, and thus exciting for some, character. But Diego Luna's Felix Gallardo is a more intimate portrait of how criminals are made. He's gone from a guy who did questionable things to protect and support his family, to a man who'll do anything to protect his power.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:59 am I'm hooked on season 2, myself. Granted, Escobar is a more eccentric, and thus exciting for some, character. But Diego Luna's Felix Gallardo is a more intimate portrait of how criminals are made. He's gone from a guy who did questionable things to protect and support his family, to a man who'll do anything to protect his power.
See, I guess my feeling is that Escobar has the advantage of being the most infamous drug runner. It was fun seeing the documentary-style historical anecdotes as the story developed which gave it historical perspective. I loved those. In Narcos: Mexico, they drastically reduced those, and I don't find Gallardo to be nearly as interesting, as it has the feel of something that was overly made up.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

How in the heck does it feel “overly made up” in comparison to Escobar’s story? :? I can’t even wrap my mind around that. If anything, Gallardo is the more reasonable origin story. Everything they’re covering can be looked up and verified to a similar degree as that of Escobar’s story from Narcos in Colombia.
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I thought Narcos Mexico was a step down, but it was still very entertaining and I'll take some more any day.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:31 pm How in the heck does it feel “overly made up” in comparison to Escobar’s story? :? I can’t even wrap my mind around that. If anything, Gallardo is the more reasonable origin story. Everything they’re covering can be looked up and verified to a similar degree as that of Escobar’s story from Narcos in Columbia.

My point is that it feels less authentic than the original Narcos based on the production design. Everything that was so great about Narcos seems to be missing from this, which makes it less interesting to me. It may well be just as factual, but it's not the general feeling I get from it from the way they chose to present it in terms of storytelling. It's a bit more generic feeling. I mean, It's good, but Narcos set a high bar in terms of how everything came together. In making this a spinoff, it came with a lot of expectations, when it would probably have been better to just name it something completely different not connected to original.
Last edited by Rumpy on Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Maybe I should watch Mexico first then lead up to Escobar.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:15 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:31 pm How in the heck does it feel “overly made up” in comparison to Escobar’s story? :? I can’t even wrap my mind around that. If anything, Gallardo is the more reasonable origin story. Everything they’re covering can be looked up and verified to a similar degree as that of Escobar’s story from Narcos in Colombia.

My point is that it feels less authentic than the original Narcos based on the production design. Everything that was so great about Narcos seems to be missing from this, which makes it less interesting to me. It may well be just as factual, but it's not the general feeling I get from it from the way they chose to present it in terms of storytelling. It's a bit more generic feeling. I mean, It's good, but Narcos set a high bar in terms of how everything came together. In making this a spinoff, it came with a lot of expectations, when it would probably have been better to just name it something completely different not connected to original.
How is the storytelling making it seem less authentic? As I said, they’re staying pretty close to what really happened...at least as much as the first series did, at least.

If you don’t like it because Gallardo is a less flashy character than Pablo Escobar, I can understand that. I just disagree that it’s missing anything beyond that, or that it doesn’t feel like it should be called Narcos.
Jaymann wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:18 pm Maybe I should watch Mexico first then lead up to Escobar.
You’ll be watching the story of the drug cartels in reverse though. Some of the characters that show up in Narcos: Mexico are explained in the first series. And the American involvement in all of this follows an arc that is best followed in the correct order.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:33 pm If you don’t like it because Gallardo is a less flashy character than Pablo Escobar, I can understand that. I just disagree that it’s missing anything beyond that, or that it doesn’t feel like it should be called Narcos.
No, it's not that I don't like Gallardo. He's a perfectly competent character and it's not that I feel it's less flashy, as I'd say it's even moreso than. But beyond that, perhaps I just don't find his story as exciting.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I liked the Escobar story because it was loud and exciting, with a lead performance by a wonderful actor.

I like the Gallardo story because it’s more about the plotting and machinations behind the scenes, with a lead performance by a wonderful actor.

It reminds me of the HBO show Rome in some ways. And I loved me some Rome.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, see, I think we're seeing different things in it. I just know I don't like it as much as Narcos. *shrug*
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Even if you don’t like it, everyone must experience the family painting in Palma’s house though. Episode 7 of this latest season. Just fast forward to the 45:09 mark.
Covfefe!
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I don't know if it's in any way a Netflix exclusive, but Netflix currently has Servant Of The People available, the show where Vladimir Zelensky is a high school teacher who accidentally becomes president of Ukraine, prior to his being an actor who accidentally becomes actual president of Ukraine. I'm only halfway through the first episode so far, so can't comment much on the quality, but it's definitely watchable so far.
No sig, must scream, etc.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Let us know if it’s a “perfect” show.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:20 pm Kingdom season 1 is pretty cool. I’m only one episode in but it’s already a winner for me. South Korea a few hundred or so years ago is experiencing a strange contagion that’s sickened the emperor, leaving the crown prince having to deal with his stepmother and her duplicitous family.

But that contagion isn’t really small pox. It tends to reanimate its victims, turning them into...well, watch it and find out.
Season 2
Spoiler:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Against my better judgment, I've become hooked on LOVE IS BLIND, the reality dating show in which the contestants cannot see their potential partner until they propose and get engaged. They get to know each other by talking through a screen in separate "pods" without knowing what the other one looks like.

If that sounds completely horrible, well...it is. But damn is it fun to hate watch. I think the moments my wife and I have shared ripping on the contestants has actually made our marriage stronger.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So it’s basically The Dating Game from the 70s? Let me know if they ever feature a serial killer as a love interest.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:15 pm
hepcat wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:20 pm Kingdom season 1 is pretty cool. I’m only one episode in but it’s already a winner for me. South Korea a few hundred or so years ago is experiencing a strange contagion that’s sickened the emperor, leaving the crown prince having to deal with his stepmother and her duplicitous family.

But that contagion isn’t really small pox. It tends to reanimate its victims, turning them into...well, watch it and find out.
Season 2
Spoiler:
This was one of the best zombie TV series ever! Suck it Walking Dead! Glad it’s finally back.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Letter for the King
Spoiler:
stessier

Post by stessier »

I finished the latest seasons of Atypical and Sex Education this week. Man those shows are good. That musical at the end of Sex Ed was amazing. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Binged I Am Not Okay With This last Friday. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I was entertained. Short, fast episodes (whole thing is only about 2.5 hours).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Tao

Post by Tao »

I have watched 4 or 5 episodes of I Am Not Okay With This, the show has an interesting premise and there is an added level of interesting with having a female protagonist but the characters just aren't clicking for me. The one aside is Wyatt Oleff, Stan Barber, I hope he gets more roles and sticks with it because I think he has a lot of potential. Stan and the little brother, Liam(?), are the only characters that seem engaging when they are on screen.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Not an exclusive film, but I did notice that the low budget sci fi/thriller Freaks just showed up. It’s a fun little film that any fan of darker superhero shows might enjoy.
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I pulled a YK and have started watching Love is Blind. It’s like the perfect distillation of a reality dating show; I’m actually surprised something like this wasn’t aired on Fox circa 2005. It really is trash tv but not a bad show to have on while packing/cleaning my place for a move.
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:19 am I pulled a YK and have started watching Love is Blind. It’s like the perfect distillation of a reality dating show; I’m actually surprised something like this wasn’t aired on Fox circa 2005. It really is trash tv but not a bad show to have on while packing/cleaning my place for a move.
lmao, it is such trash and I devoured every bit of it. I even went as far as avoiding reading articles about it so I wouldn't know which couples made it. FYI it turns out it was filmed like a year and a half ago so it should be interesting to see what happened on the reunion show which is out tomorrow I believe.

Also just started watching "I am Not OK with This" which features two of the young actors from It, who are both excellent. It's kind of a combo between Sex Ed and Raising Dion. Pretty enjoyable and while I like the short episode format, I don't like that there are so few episodes.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Willoughbys
Spoiler:
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, I finished watching Narcos: Mexico season 2. I think I enjoyed this season moreso than the first. I think what helped was Scoot McNairy. I've liked him in everything he's done so far. But as for Gallardo, I still stand by my feeling that I didn't find him as interesting. I didn't connect with him the same way I did with Escobar.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I got my dad on Netflix, and right now, he's watching Designated Survivor and... Iron Fist.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds