News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Captain Caveman

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Captain Caveman »

I've watched the first two episodes of Ozarks and there are definitely a lot of contrivances so far. Still, the acting is stellar and I remain curious where things are going so I'm planning to stick with it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I watched Okja last night. Really good movie but man does it get hard to watch near the end. I can't think of any movie that has made me reconsider eating meat more strongly and the pigs weren't even real!
We went in thinking "Oh, it's a kid's show that adults like too.".

After 1 hour, our thoughts were "Good Lord, this is almost a horror film!".

It reminded me of Maus towards the end.
He won. Period.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Captain Caveman wrote:I've watched the first two episodes of Ozarks and there are definitely a lot of contrivances so far. Still, the acting is stellar and I remain curious where things are going so I'm planning to stick with it.
I watched the whole series recently, and they did enough stuff to keep me curious and watching. But I thought it went off the rails as the series progressed in terms of "contrivances" like
Spoiler:
The whole series of events of the downs-syndrome kid buying a fully automatic rifle from walmart for the boy, which really ended up being totally pointless.
I would give it a 6 out of 10, with most of that being attributed to the solid casting and cinematography.
Captain Caveman

Trailer for Narcos, Season 3, available on Sept 1
I'll probably watch this, though I must admit that my enthusiasm is down knowing that Pablo isn't in it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, it feels like season 2 was just a few months ago.
He won. Period.
Ralph-Wiggum

Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That looks great. :lol: I need to remember that one.

Going to check out A Message from the King tonight. The lead is Chadwick Boseman, the Black Panther in the Marvel cinematic universe. It's your standard revenge flick, although it seems more like The Limey than Taken. He's a damn good actor though, so I'm hoping he can elevate the material.

Update: A Message from the King is an okay movie, and Boseman is really good in it (as expected), but it's very, very similar to The Limey. If you're going to watch a "guy goes after the truth behind a family member's death in a seedy environment" film, I'll go with Terrance Stamp every time.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Narcos is back Sept 1st! The War On Drugs tm continues.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Looking forward to that one.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Death Note was surprisingly good. It's Adam Wingard, who I really like, bringing his low budget horror film sensibilities to a larger budget film. It almost feels like a Michael Mann film from the eighties at times. It has its flaws but I enjoyed it.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Do we have an Amazon video exclusives thread? I've got some discussin' to do! :P
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Do we have an Amazon video exclusives thread? I've got some discussin' to do! :P
Isg has got you covered. :wink:

And you posted in it! :lol:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ack. Senility is a bitch!

Edit: wait, I posted in MARCH. Dude, anything prior to say, 3 weeks ago, I call ancient history. 3 months ago might as well be a past life. :P
Toe

Post by Toe »

hepcat wrote:Death Note was surprisingly good. It's Adam Wingard, who I really like, bringing his low budget horror film sensibilities to a larger budget film. It almost feels like a Michael Mann film from the eighties at times. It has its flaws but I enjoyed it.
I watched this over the weekend and thought it was pretty awful. Lead actor was terrible, in my opinion, and story was really weak. The bad guy looked pretty cool and the lead actress was cute, but other than that, it did not do anything for me.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

My wife and I are "auditioning" series' that are on either Amazon or Netflix to determine what to watch next while we wait for the next seasons of the following, which we love:
Man in the High Castle (she loves this, I am on the fence)
The Americans
The Missing
Stranger Things
Sherlock
Better Call Saul (me only, wife not watching)

Tried to date:
Mr. Robot (love it so far, will continue)
Broadchurch (very good so far, will continue)
Longmire: (meh, will not continue after watching first ep)
Bloodline (meh, will not continue after watching first 2 or 3 eps)

Still to audition:
Narcos
Ozark
Peaky Blinders
Sneaky Pete
Orange is the New Black
Master of None (?)
Daredevil
Luke Cage
Jessica Jones
Love
House of Cards
Unbreakable Kimmy
Black Mirror
The 100
Glow
Sneaky Pete (Amazon)
Mozart in the Jungle (Amazon)
Toe

Post by Toe »

Good list. I would add to your audition list:

Wentworth
The Fall
Atypical
stessier

Post by stessier »

How have you not seen Kimmy yet?!?! It doesn't really fit with your drama heavy current schedule, but it is soooo good. You might have to give it more than one episode, though, for it to catch on.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kimmy season 1 was great. Kimmy season 2 was painfully, horrifyingly bad.
Toe wrote:
hepcat wrote:Death Note was surprisingly good. It's Adam Wingard, who I really like, bringing his low budget horror film sensibilities to a larger budget film. It almost feels like a Michael Mann film from the eighties at times. It has its flaws but I enjoyed it.
I watched this over the weekend and thought it was pretty awful. Lead actor was terrible, in my opinion, and story was really weak. The bad guy looked pretty cool and the lead actress was cute, but other than that, it did not do anything for me.
It has quite a few flaws, but I'm such a fan of Wingard I'm probably more forgiving than a fan of the source material would be.
He won. Period.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

That's some good TV you've got left on your plate. Of your list, I would put

Narcos
Stranger Things
Better Call Saul
Daredevil
Jessica Jones
Master of None
Black Mirror

at the top of your list (in no particular order). Season 1 of Bloodlines is also great (the rest, not so much, but also unneeded), but the show is a really slow burn.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:Kimmy season 1 was great. Kimmy season 2 was painfully, horrifyingly bad.
I'm glad I gave it a pass, then.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote:
hepcat wrote:Kimmy season 1 was great. Kimmy season 2 was painfully, horrifyingly bad.
I disagree, fwiw.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
I disagree, fwiw.
Previous discussion between myself and hepcat.

And you've disagreed before.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ah consistency. Go me!
Rip

Post by Rip »

I thought Longmire was really good, takes more than one episode to get into though.

Also watch Sneaky Pete now, that shit was awesome.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
I disagree, fwiw.
If you're parodying a Mentos commercial in 2016, you need to reconsider a career in comedy. That's all I can say.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Fell in the middle on Death Note. I enjoyed the first third or so when it was a bit more horror-movieish, but grew bored with the cat-and-mouse thriller it turned into. That's pretty much par for the course for me with Adam Wingard though - almost everything he's done I have mixed feelings about.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would definitely recommend The Guest and You're Next over Death Note, that's for sure.

Like I said, I probably gave it more leeway because of the music, the weird lighting choices that Wingard used for mood, and the quality Defoe cackling sounds.

p.s. I was just checking Wingard's IMDB page and it looks like he's directing the American remake of one of my favorite Korean thrillers, I Saw the Devil. If you haven't seen this gem yet, hunt it down and rent it immediately.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:That's some good TV you've got left on your plate. Of your list, I would put

Narcos
Stranger Things
Better Call Saul
Daredevil
Jessica Jones
Master of None
Black Mirror

at the top of your list (in no particular order).

Season 1 of Bloodlines is also great (the rest, not so much, but also unneeded), but the show is a really slow burn.
Thanks. That's perfect for pushing us in a particular direction. Narcos is next then! (after we finish Broadchurch) Though anything on that top list (including BCS and Stranger Things), is an auto watch as soon as they drop new eps.

The only questionable one (for the wife, not me) is Master of None. Not sure she would appreciate Aziz Ansari's particular brand of humor. I don't think I've ever seen his stand-up, only his Parks and Rec role (which was obviously fantastic), but that's enough to at least give it a go.

I will try to get through Bloodlines if you are saying I can stop at the end of Season 1, and be "satisfied". (Same for Longmire)
Captain Caveman

I loved season 1 of Bloodline, liked season 2, and hated season 3.

Personally, I love Master of None, particularly season 2. The best description I've heard is that it's like a Woody Allen movie set in the modern day but isn't just about white people.

I'll second Rip's recommendation of Sneaky Pete. It starts kind of slow-- particularly the first episode that is pretty formulaic (it was a pilot that was first marketed to network TV)-- but by the end it's really pretty satisfying.

If you have Hulu, I'd add seasons 1 and 2 of Fargo. It's my favorite recent discovery.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote:I would definitely recommend The Guest and You're Next over Death Note, that's for sure.

Like I said, I probably gave it more leeway because of the music, the weird lighting choices that Wingard used for mood, and the quality Defoe cackling sounds.

p.s. I was just checking Wingard's IMDB page and it looks like he's directing the American remake of one of my favorite Korean thrillers, I Saw the Devil. If you haven't seen this gem yet, hunt it down and rent it immediately.
I thought I had seen I Saw the Devil, but can't remember it or any part of that trailer.
Was there a similar named movie?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The Fargo series gets ridiculously good reviews. I've been meaning to check it out.

I am also trying to watch American Gods, but being thwarted even though I have a Starz subscription. They don't make it easy for whatever reason, if you aren't watching them as they come out. I've seen 4 or 5 episodes, and it's fantastic. Really follows the book closely for those that are into that. Hoping the Dark Tower series follows that same vein. Hell, they should get whoever did American Gods to do Dark Tower!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote:
I thought I had seen I Saw the Devil, but can't remember it or any part of that trailer.
Was there a similar named movie?
There was a Mexican horror film titled Here Comes the Devil a few years back that was quite good.

As for Fargo, it's superb. Easily one of the best shows on television. That the creator is the same brilliant mind behind Legion should come as no surprise.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm just diving into Netflix and am really overwhelmed with the choices. Here's what I've watched so far:

Bloodlines - I loved season 1 and did not like where season 2 was headed about halfway through. I doubt I pick it back up.
Luke Cage - I've seen about five or six episodes and it's pretty solid. I need to resume this.
Iron Fist - I've watched four episodes and it's not bad. It hasn't hooked me yet. Is it worth continuing?
Ozarks - I watched the first two episodes and it has me intrigued.

What is the consensus on:
Jessica Jones
Daredevil
Narcos

Thanks
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

McNutt wrote:What is the consensus on:
Jessica Jones
Daredevil
Narcos
I liked all 3, and the new season of Narcos hits... today!

Also recommend checking out Voltron if anime is your thing. As well as Okja and Master of None.
Captain Caveman

Zaxxon wrote:I liked all 3, and the new season of Narcos hits... today!
Interesting. Let me know how it is... I must confess to being less excited about it now that Pablo isn't around. That character, particularly how we was played by the actor portraying him, was the main attraction of the show to me.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Captain Caveman wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:I liked all 3, and the new season of Narcos hits... today!
Interesting. Let me know how it is... I must confess to being less excited about it now that Pablo isn't around. That character, particularly how we was played by the actor portraying him, was the main attraction of the show to me.
Agreed, but I'm going to give it a shot. It will certainly be a big change. McNutt--ignore our comments here. :)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

McNutt wrote:I'm just diving into Netflix and am really overwhelmed with the choices. Here's what I've watched so far:

Bloodlines - I loved season 1 and did not like where season 2 was headed about halfway through. I doubt I pick it back up.
Luke Cage - I've seen about five or six episodes and it's pretty solid. I need to resume this.
Iron Fist - I've watched four episodes and it's not bad. It hasn't hooked me yet. Is it worth continuing?
Ozarks - I watched the first two episodes and it has me intrigued.

What is the consensus on:
Jessica Jones
Daredevil
Narcos

Thanks
To give you my take on these Netflix series...

Bloodline (no S), loved S1. Quit after two epsiodes of S2.
Luke Cage was middle-of-the-road N-original Marvel fare.
Iron Fist, if you weren't turned off after the first few episodes, I think you're safe to continue. These two shows are part of the Defenders series, so you may feel obligated to watch just to be up to date.
Ozarks is on my list to watch. I'm in the middle of finishing off Westworld (on HBO) so I can cancel that channel for a while.

Jessica Jones, I enjoyed more than Iron Fist and about on par with Luke Cage. Also part of the Defenders series.
Daredevil was the best of the Defenders series.
Narcos I made it into three episodes of S1 before I drifted away. Lots of folks whose opinions I respect enjoy this series more than I.
Defenders is a new release (as of August 2017) and seems to be on par with Jessica Jones/Luke Cage. We're through Ep3.

Orange is the new Black was entertaining for about 2 seasons. I'm not a completionist, so I drifted away during the current season (S4?).
I enjoyed one season of House of Cards, but stopped watching about 2 episodes into S2.
Stranger Things was worth watching (only 1 season currently out), even if you're not a fan of the horror genre.
I watched 1.5 episodes of Sense 8 before stopping. It's been recommended to me by so many people who tend to have similar tastes as mine, but this show did not resonate.
Love was easy to sit through as a with-wife show.
Making a Murderer was also fun to watch, but got pretty repetitive by the time it was done.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Meal wrote:I watched 1.5 episodes of Sense 8 before stopping. It's been recommended to me by so many people who tend to have similar tastes as mine, but this show did not resonate.
You've probably heard this from others, but Sense8 is a show that takes some time to get going. IIRC, it was around halfway through S1 before it really clicked for me. That said, I can certainly see how it's not for everyone.

McNutt--it's one that I should have mentioned, though. It's one of the most enjoyable Netflix O series for me.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

If I can add one to my list, it's Black Mirror. Can't recommend this highly enough.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra