News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

The Meal

I.e., don't hold your breath

Post by The Meal »

Zaxxon wrote:You've probably heard this from others, but Sense8 is a show that takes some time to get going.
When I run out of shows I enjoy right out of the gate, I'll circle back to shows like this which require a bit more effort on my part.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Zaxxon »

The Meal wrote:If I can add one to my list, it's Black Mirror. Can't recommend this highly enough.
Nice turn! This is one that I tried but didn't get pulled into. I need to try again, as I've heard nothing but praise.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Now I just have to find the time to watch seven shows.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Now I just have to find the time to watch seven shows.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Zaxxon wrote:
The Meal wrote:If I can add one to my list, it's Black Mirror. Can't recommend this highly enough.
Nice turn! This is one that I tried but didn't get pulled into. I need to try again, as I've heard nothing but praise.
What do you have against coerced pig fucking? Prude.

Black Mirror can be great, but I find I have to watch in small doses. It can be really, really heavy. Some episodes are fantastic, some much less so.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just saw that season 4 of Bojack Horseman is coming September 8.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

At some point I need to fit re-watching Breaking Bad into my "to watch" queue. Wife did not watch it, and it was so good I would happily watch again (rare for me).

Also:
Bloodline (no S)
Ozark (no S)

What's next, crazy Netflix...title...makers? Jessicas Jone? Oranges are the New Black? Luke's Cage?! A Stranger's Thing?!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zaxxon wrote:
I liked all 3, and the new season of Narcos hits... today!
Actually tomorrow. It releases on Sept. 1st I believe.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

You're right. Which is weird, as this is the first series I've paid attention to on Netflix that did *not* release first thing on a Friday.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Or, the much simpler explanation would be that I have no idea what day it is today.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's the 39th of Neveruary!
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Captain Caveman wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
What do you have against coerced pig fucking? Prude.

Black Mirror can be great, but I find I have to watch in small doses. It can be really, really heavy. Some episodes are fantastic, some much less so.
The nice thing about Black Mirror is that since none of the episodes are related, you can easily look online to pick out only the recommended ones. Still, I wouldn't say any of the episodes are bad, just some are much less intriguing/thought provoking than others.

Also, as someone mentioned above, BoJack Horseman, especially season 2, is great.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:I liked all 3, and the new season of Narcos hits... today!
Interesting. Let me know how it is... I must confess to being less excited about it now that Pablo isn't around. That character, particularly how we was played by the actor portraying him, was the main attraction of the show to me.
Agreed, but I'm going to give it a shot. It will certainly be a big change. McNutt--ignore our comments here. :)
Worries about S3 of Narcos being a letdown are unfounded. I'm 6 eps in and enjoying it as much as the first two seasons.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's all about the Jorge. Seriously, what a great character. He's made his own bed, but you can't help but root for him at every turn.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Concur. And I finished it today. Good shit.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Narcos season 3 was excellent. Finished it last night. If you liked S1 & 2 of it, you'll like this. Now...not sure what to watch.
/sigh
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Newcastle wrote:Narcos season 3 was excellent. Finished it last night. If you liked S1 & 2 of it, you'll like this. Now...not sure what to watch.
/sigh
Skipped Season 2. Do I need to backtrack before watching Season 3?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

No, although I'd watch the recap to set the stage.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Agreed about Narcos Season 3. Very good. What seals it for me is the writing and the way they explain the way they did things via historical perspective and they make it so compelling that you can't help but sit and watch.

As for Season 2. I'd say yes. You'll probably get more enjoyment out of Season 3 by viewing Season 2 first and it will make more sense.

I tried watching Queen of the South while waiting for Season 3 and I gave up on that one. Just wasn't nearly as compelling or interesting to continue with it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isn't Queen of the South more of a Mexican Soap Opera?
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Kind of, but it's also based on the real life of Teresa Mendoza who rose to the top. But it's not nearly as clever or compelling.
Last edited by Rumpy on Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

stimpy wrote:
Newcastle wrote:Narcos season 3 was excellent. Finished it last night. If you liked S1 & 2 of it, you'll like this. Now...not sure what to watch.
/sigh
Skipped Season 2. Do I need to backtrack before watching Season 3?
Nope you dont. However, i would watch s2 first then head on to s3. Just helps for continuity's sake more than anything else. Plus S2 finishes the main S1 storyline. As Rumpy said you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of it. S3 is a standalone season.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Anyone but me watching the new Tick? I'm really enjoying all of it so far (4 episodes in...)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You'll probably find more input in the Amazon video thread. :wink:

But to veer off from Netflix and answer your question, once I let go of the notion that this was a spiritual successor to the great cartoon series and the equally great Warburton live action series, it started to click. It's not as funny as either of the other shows, but it's much richer in story. There's an actual plot that I'm now looking forward to seeing play out.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:You'll probably find more input in the Amazon video thread. :wink:

But to veer off from Netflix and answer your question, once I let go of the notion that this was a spiritual successor to the great cartoon series and the equally great Warburton live action series, it started to click. It's not as funny as either of the other shows, but it's much richer in story. There's an actual plot that I'm now looking forward to seeing play out.
It certainly isn't the kid friendly Tick of years past but my daughter seems to like it. Builds character I say!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It does get multiple demerits for not having Nestor Carbonell showing up as Batmanuel.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:You'll probably find more input in the Amazon video thread. :wink:
Oops. :oops:
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Big Mouth ...nsfw adult cartoon about puberty.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This is quite good. I was worried it would just be a cynical take on true crime docs, but it's got a core of sincerity that makes it work. Although I am embarrassed to admit that "baby farting" made me laugh out loud...then immediately feel bad about it.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:This is quite good. I was worried it would just be a cynical take on true crime docs, but it's got a core of sincerity that makes it work.
Watched the first episode. I don't know how it would play with folks who aren't true crime doc/podcast addicts, but I thought it was hysterical. They really nailed all the familiar tropes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just finished American Vandal and I was surprised to find a really compelling story with a cautionary tale about the potential dangers of these types of docs on innocent bystanders. I really enjoyed every moment of it.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Finished first season of Ozark. I thought it was great, and I see they already got the greenlight for Season 2. There were some parts where I was thinking "Oh come on!" but overall very believable, and well acted, if a little wooden maybe, by the leads?

Was surprised to see the RT score so low on this. I usually am pretty much in agreement with scores there on the stuff I watch. Looking forward to next season.

As for Gerald's Game, IMO they gave WAY too much away in the trailer. I wish I had not watched it. I thought it was merely "OK", but again, RT here has a very high score.

I'm starting to wonder if their TV series scores are different than their movie score methodology?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Netflix plans to spend $8 billion to make its library 50 percent original by 2018
Netflix plans to increase the amount of money it spends on developing and producing original television and films next year, to an eye-popping $8 billion. The company has given a ballpark projection near that amount in the past, but Netflix bumped it up during its third-quarter earnings announcement today by an additional $1 billion to make clear to investors and Hollywood both that it plans spends to quite a lot of money to lock down ownership of its own entertainment.

With Disney and other high-profile names increasingly moving content into closed garden ecosystems, Netflix’s future lies in making sure it controls its own destiny, and in ensuring it doesn’t take too big a hit when third-party content owners pull licensing deals out from under its feet. The ultimate goal, reiterated today by Netflix executives, is one the company has laid out before: a library containing 50 percent original TV and film content by the end of next year.

On a video call with analysts this afternoon, Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos clarified that a sizable chunk of that $8 billion will go toward toward producing 30 new anime series and 80 new original films, all slated for release in 2018. While the company has often kept concrete viewership numbers under wraps, Sarandos’ willingness to drop the anime and film metrics is a positive sign that its investments in those areas are going well.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Old Man's War
Deadline reports that Netflix has acquired the movie rights to Old Man’s War, the first novel in John Scalzi’s space opera series of the same name. While previously in development over the last decade as a movie with Paramount and then as a television series with Syfy, the novel has now found a home at Netflix as an original film.
Scalzi will serve as executive producer on the project alongside production companies Jon Shestack Productions (Before I Fall) and Madhouse Entertainment (Prisoners, Slender Man). His post includes more insights into how this adaptation came to be, and proactively answers a few reader questions, including about the potential for adapting the other five books in the series:
But can a two to three hour movie truly hold the vastness and complexity of Old Man’s War?

I mean, yeah. It’s a pretty speedy story in that first book. And as to the rest of the universe of the series, if the first OMW movie works and people watch it and like it (hint, hint), we can have sequels. There are six books! We have lots to work with.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm surprised HBO didn't pick this one up just so they could capitalize on all the sex in the beginning.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I watched the first episode of Mindhunters today and came away rather unimpressed. Does the lead actor (the guy playing Cole) get better? He’s practically unwatchable in that first episode.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

You have to at least watch episode 2 to meet Ed Kemper. Highlight of the season.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Mindhunters is a slow burn. It will eventually get to the meat of the story, and what it does to the main character, but you have to sit through a couple of episodes of set up. He gets way more interesting, though. I felt that they started him off bland because they wanted to establish just how much he changes throughout the first season as he interacts with these deranged human beings.

And yeah, Cameron Britton's Ed Kemper deserves every accolade he's getting for his performance. I mean... good Goddamn.
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:56 pm I watched the first episode of Mindhunters today and came away rather unimpressed. Does the lead actor (the guy playing Cole) get better? He’s practically unwatchable in that first episode.
I disliked the first episode, but gave the second episode a chance because of all the high praise the show has received. The second episode still didn't get me hooked, but it was slightly better. Enough to warrant watching the third, which is when things started to improve. I really liked the show. My wife also grew to enjoy it, or at least tolerate it enough to not complain when I said I wanted to watch an episode.

I hated the ending though.