News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

For some reason, I thought this was a sequel to Pixar's Up. :P It's the way the font is formatted.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:00 am The Guilty

Enlarge Image
Watched the first 30 mins of this, and did not like it. Gave it another 15 or so minutes and it didn't do much more for me.

YMMV, it's pretty much just Gyhllenhall on camera the entire movie, and, while he's a good actor and capable of carrying a movie in that fashion, I really didn't like or care about the character and situation much at all and bounced hard off of it. I did fast forward to see if it changed, and it mostly didn't.

YMMV, of course. It was #5 on Netflix as of last night, so some people do like it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:55 pm Alice in Borderland

Enlarge Image
Watched this last week and really enjoyed it (though it is rather violent). They are apparently filming season 2 for release in 2022 maybe.

Not sure if it is similar to Squid Game or not. Seems like it could be.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

When did Squid Game become a cultural phenomena? I swear, I hear something about the show causing mobs to form in various countries at least once a day lately.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:39 pm When did Squid Game become a cultural phenomena? I swear, I hear something about the show causing mobs to form in various countries at least once a day lately.
Squid Game is what happens when South Korean splatter meets critique of capitalism.

It's amazing, and most of us aren't ready for it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m three episodes into Squid Game. It’s simultaneously depressing, fascinating, and really disturbing.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:49 pm

Enlarge Image
Watched the first 30 mins of this, and did not like it. Gave it another 15 or so minutes and it didn't do much more for me.

YMMV, it's pretty much just Gyhllenhall on camera the entire movie, and, while he's a good actor and capable of carrying a movie in that fashion, I really didn't like or care about the character and situation much at all and bounced hard off of it. I did fast forward to see if it changed, and it mostly didn't.

YMMV, of course. It was #5 on Netflix as of last night, so some people do like it.
I freaking hated this movie. Total waste of time. And no, it doesnt change. It's the same character doing the same stupid shit until the end.
Hated it.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I think the marble episode of Squid Games just broke me. Jesus.

That may be the most gut-wrenching hour of TV I’ve ever watched.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Can anyone compare Squid Games to 3%? I liked 3% quite a bit, but have to be in the right mood to watch it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

stimpy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:11 pm

I freaking hated this movie. Total waste of time. And no, it doesnt change. It's the same character doing the same stupid shit until the end.
Hated it.
I had another similar experience with another recent Netflix release, a Romanian movie called The Father Who Moved Mountains. Your description could essentially describe this movie too. In it, a father's son goes missing in the mountains, and the father uses his influence in the military to set up a search operation. He's an asshole though and you see him be an asshole to pretty much everyone he encounters, including declining to help another couple find their missing children. At one point, he and his team are digging through the snow on the mountain at the location they think he's buried under until he's left alone the only one still digging and I kid you not, the movie just ends, no resolution whatsoever. Complete utter waste of time.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That actually sounds pretty good. Maybe even something original compared to the 3,320 other films with a similar story. I also sometimes think endings that don't spell things out for you are better. I'll have to look for that one. :wink:
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Or he finds the child of the couple he refused to help - TWIST!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I watched a pretty critically acclaimed horror movied called "The Wolf of Snow Hollow" and had the same experience. It features a character that's an asshole to everyone around him the entire movie, and you keep thinking he's either going to get his comeuppance or he's going to redeem himself. And neither happens - at the end of the movie he's still just an asshole.

I can appreciate the fact that's probably true-to-life, but I watch movies to escape reality.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh man, it's opposite day today. I watched "The Wolf of Snow Hollow" a while back because of all the critical acclaim it was getting...and I loved it. The deadpan humor alone was great. Jim Cummings is an actor/director/writer to watch, in my opinion.

I don't mind characters who are assholes in movies. Or don't actually grow or evolve as a person throughout the course of a film. That's kind of the hallmark of dark comedies. But I do realize not a lot of folks can stomach dark comedies.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:04 pm That actually sounds pretty good. Maybe even something original compared to the 3,320 other films with a similar story. I also sometimes think endings that don't spell things out for you are better. I'll have to look for that one. :wink:
It's beautifully shot, and the concept is sound, but the movie itself is rather disappointing. I agree that endings that don't spell it out are often better, but this one doesn't even have a real ending in any sense of the word. It just ends as if they ran out of budget. No resolution or character growth whatsoever. It feels like an entirely cynical movie.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I like a cynical movie sometimes. :P

Arrested Development is one of my favorite comedies primarily because no one grows as a person. Same with Archer and a multitude of other shows/movies. I don't see that as a weakness unless the intent of the writers was to show growth.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, typically a sitcom doesn't usually show growth. In comedy in general there doesn't seem to be much growth at all, come to think of it., because most sitcoms are bottle shows.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Arrested Development was definitely not a bottle show.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:49 pm

Enlarge Image

I stuck it out for the whole thing. Cheap payoff.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:34 pm Arrested Development was definitely not a bottle show.
Ok, I couldn't remember. I had seen bits of it when Netflix revived it and it wasn't really for me.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:shock:

You…you don’t like Arrested Development!?

My god…I had heard rumors there were people out there like that. But to actually communicate with one?

P.S. the revival wasn’t very good. The original run though? Pure masterpiece.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm not a big fan of Arrested Development either - tried to watch a few episodes of the original run a few years ago and couldn't sustain it.

Sorry hepcat, maybe it's best if we just went our separate ways. It's not me, it's you. :(
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:29 pm :shock:

You…you don’t like Arrested Development!?

My god…I had heard rumors there were people out there like that. But to actually communicate with one?

P.S. the revival wasn’t very good. The original run though? Pure masterpiece.
I had started it from the beginning. But yeah, I didn't care much for it. I found it to be an acquired taste. I found what I had seen cringeworthy at best. Keep in mind that I'd heard a lot about it but had no way to access it until the whole thing arrived on Netflix. I tried it and it wasn't my type of humor.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Add me to the “didn’t like it” group as well.

Watched through most of the first season and had absolutely no interest in continuing. Did nothing for me at all.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I lasted for about 5 minutes of one episode.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Formix

Post by Formix »

Hi, my nom de guerre is Formix, and I loved Arrested Development. I even used to watch it alone, but eventually, my wife was curious about all the lols and chuckles, and she loved it too. Years later, I got my daughter hooked as well. It is an acquired taste and not everyone's humor pallette is the same. I even hear some folks didn't like 30 Rock.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can't even begin to fathom hating Arrested Development (the original run). That to me is completely and utterly alien. But to each their own. I have to wonder if folks are mistaking the much less funny Netflix reboot for the 3 season original run, which the vast majority of humanity (and many extraterrestrials, contrary to what I just wrote) consider comedy perfection.

As for 30 Rock, I appreciated it, but never watched it all. I suppose I should add it to my watch list for someday.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’m just going to assume the people saying they didn’t like AD in the recent posts, started watching with the reboot which is a very different, despicable and unfunny thing. It’s better that way. :D
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Formix wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:56 am I even hear some folks didn't like 30 Rock.
Unpossible.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:25 am I’m just going to assume the people saying they didn’t like AD in the recent posts, started watching with the reboot which is a very different, despicable and unfunny thing. It’s better that way. :D
Never bothered with the reboot because I thought the original was meh.

Never cared much for 30 Rock either, but that's mostly because I absolutely cannot stand Alec Baldwin.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

:P
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

It's very hard for me to get sucked into comedy shows. I usually just not in the mood for it. Curb Your Enthusiasm might be the best comedy ever made, but even with that I rarely sit down and turn on an episode. I'm not sure why as I love to laugh. But given the choice, I'll take a great drama over a great comedy any day of the week.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just for clarification, I don't *hate* Arrested Development. It just never grabbed me to the point I wanted to watch it. Some of the clips I've seen are very funny. Sort of the same thing with Parks and Recreation. I'm sure it's fantastic, but I don't have the time or energy to dive into it.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Whenever I hear people talking about how great 30 Rock was, I always think of this and think "It wasnt THAT funny...."

He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:40 am
Formix wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:56 am I even hear some folks didn't like 30 Rock.
Unpossible.
I thought it was unpossible to not love Arrested Development before today. Then this thread turned tragic. I feel like I should start an outreach program for these poor unfortunates.

:P
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stimpy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:46 am Whenever I hear people talking about how great 30 Rock was, I always think of this and think "It wasnt THAT funny...."

True, but it did spawn this, which was THAT funny...

stessier

Post by stessier »

stimpy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:46 am Whenever I hear people talking about how great 30 Rock was, I always think of this and think "It wasnt THAT funny...."

I really enjoyed 3rd Rock from the Sun. I tried the first episode of 30 Rock and did not enjoy it. I'm on episode 22 of Season 4 of Arrested Development. It is the same joke over and over again, but it made me laugh enough to keep watching. My current watches are Fresh off the Boat (Hulu) and Superstore (Peacock) and I enjoy both quite a lot.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles