News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by hepcat »

gilraen wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:46 pm Since when do critics like action popcorn flicks anyway? It was fun for what it was, I enjoyed it. Ryan Reynolds does well in action movies.
John Wick 1, 2 and 3
Black Panther
Mission Impossible: Fallout
Mad Max: Fury Road
Wonder Woman
Thor: Ragnarok
Logan
Baby Driver
Shazam
The Dark Knight

They like action films well enough...when they're well made.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

In her defense, she said "action popcorn flicks". Perhaps your definition is different, but when I think of "popcorn flicks", I immediately rule out "well made". There are definitely well made action flicks. But I don't think I would consider any of them to be "popcorn action flicks". From your list, I might let MI:F and MM:FR slide. But I wouldn't consider any of the others to be "popcorn flicks".

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Witcher Anime Movie Nightmare of the Wolf Announced By Netflix
Netflix has announced that a new anime film called The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf is in the works.

The team behind this new movie includes Netflix's The Witcher's producers Lauren Hissrich and Beau DeMayo, and Studio Mir, the renowned Koren animation studio behind The Legend of Korra and Voltron: Legendary Defender.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

TheMix wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:08 pm In her defense, she said "action popcorn flicks". Perhaps your definition is different, but when I think of "popcorn flicks", I immediately rule out "well made". There are definitely well made action flicks. But I don't think I would consider any of them to be "popcorn action flicks". From your list, I might let MI:F and MM:FR slide. But I wouldn't consider any of the others to be "popcorn flicks".
Now we're twisting things via semantics in order to justify claiming that action films don't have to be well made to be "popcorn action flicks"? :?

Okay, so the correct term going forward shouldn't be "popcorn action flicks", it should be "badly made action flicks"? I'm good with that. :wink:

p.s. I would consider a large number of the films on that list to be fun action films that easily meet the definition of a light, not terribly deep action film...which is what I thought "popcorn action flick" actually meant before today.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

And now I regret commenting. I'm not sure what happened with OO, but lately it just feels like a bunch of argumentative curmudgeons. I don't want to get in a @#$%ing argument now about what is or is not a popcorn flick. No matter what I say, I'll be wrong. It's just not worth it to me. I'll just remind her not to get involved.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I think a popcorn flick makes you want to eat popcorn.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

When I hear "popcorn flick" it's usually in reply to my accusation of that movie being dumb (Independence Day, Solo, etc.). These are movies where people say "you need to turn your brain off and just enjoy it."

Most of the movies on Hepcat's list are not popcorn flicks in my eyes. They're pretty solid.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

TheMix wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:16 pm And now I regret commenting. I'm not sure what happened with OO, but lately it just feels like a bunch of argumentative curmudgeons. I don't want to get in a @#$%ing argument now about what is or is not a popcorn flick. No matter what I say, I'll be wrong. It's just not worth it to me. I'll just remind her not to get involved.
Hey you kids, get off my lawn! FWIW, we've always liked debating, we're nerds. Star Wars over Star Trek, huzzah!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

McNutt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:28 pm When I hear "popcorn flick" it's usually in reply to my accusation of that movie being dumb (Independence Day, Solo, etc.). These are movies where people say "you need to turn your brain off and just enjoy it."

Most of the movies on Hepcat's list are not popcorn flicks in my eyes. They're pretty solid.
You don't think John Wick series are dumb but fun popcorn flicks?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TheMix wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:16 pm And now I regret commenting. I'm not sure what happened with OO, but lately it just feels like a bunch of argumentative curmudgeons. I don't want to get in a @#$%ing argument now about what is or is not a popcorn flick. No matter what I say, I'll be wrong. It's just not worth it to me. I'll just remind her not to get involved.
We stopped getting old and became old. Been around a long time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think you're overreacting a bit here. No one was called any names, no one used all caps (or even an exclamation mark), and a winky emoji even showed up. If you want to disagree with someone's opinion, I would at least hope you can accept when they defend that opinion.
Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:51 pm You don't think John Wick series are dumb but fun popcorn flicks?
I would call them fun and well made action flicks. They're not terribly deep, but they don't insult the audience's intelligence by including extensive product placement, awful jokes, tired cliches and other lazy acts of film making.
He won. Period.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Finished a few series in the past few months.

V Wars - good enough to finish. First episode is solid. The rest are only watchable and nothing great. The script writing and plot holes are the short fall. It's definitely in the realm of watching a ABC/NBC/FOX prime time show except for some language, a little gore, and nudity. Nothing great but not too bad. The ending was very strange and laughable at the same time!

Haunting of Hill House - really like this one. One of the scarier horror series I've seen. There are a couple episodes that are flat-out amazing. I will watch season 2, if it comes out. I recommend this one.

The Witcher - really liked it. Episode 1, 2, 7 are not great. The others are very entertaining. Can't wait for second season. Hope they add more episodes. Eight is too short for a whole season.

Started Altered Carbon last night - very good first episode. High production values and great story so far. Looking forward to watching another episode tonight.

I have my own viewing rules on TV series, so I can enjoy them fully. I only watch one episode per night and I can't be doing something else at the same time. When I watch TV I'm all in.

Netflix series for 2019 was awesome. Mindhunters is my favorite of the bunch. I'm really looking forward to The Ozarks season 3 this year.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm still bummed that Mindhunter probably isn't coming back. :(
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Conan the Barbarian - Great fantasy movie

Conan 2 - popcorn flick.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:53 pm
I would call them fun and well made action flicks. They're not terribly deep, but they don't insult the audience's intelligence by including extensive product placement, awful jokes, tired cliches and other lazy acts of film making.
Right. They have a great style about them and an actor who can sell the role. It's ludicrous for sure, but it never pisses me off with terrible acting, bad jokes and CGI to make up for massive plot holes and uninspired writing. 2012 and The Day After Tomorrow, hell any Roland Emmerich movie) are great examples of popcorn flicks. These are movies that I hate and people find entertaining because of stuff. "Turn off your brain, McNutt."
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:05 pm Conan the Barbarian - Great fantasy movie

Conan 2 - popcorn flick.
You nailed it there.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Yeah, I'm absolutely ticked off about Mindhunters being on-hold. I hope they get it finished. It's my current favorite series. Love the show and characters.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Damn, I missed the part about Mindhunter not coming back. Holt MacCallany was awesome in that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:08 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:53 pm
Right. They have a great style about them and an actor who can sell the role. It's ludicrous for sure, but it never pisses me off with terrible acting, bad jokes and CGI to make up for massive plot holes and uninspired writing. 2012 and The Day After Tomorrow, hell any Roland Emmerich movie) are great examples of popcorn flicks. These are movies that I hate and people find entertaining because of stuff. "Turn off your brain, McNutt."
I think for me, it sometimes comes down to a sense of sincerity in a film. If I feel like the movie has been made by a studio looking to cash in on the latest fads without any love of what they're doing, they're going to avoid putting any real effort into it because...well...they don't care. The Transformers, Underworlds and Resident Evils of the film world all feel like movies made by committee. You can almost see where they put in the script "add slow mo bullet fight here...even if they're just doing their taxes!" or "hero must be drinking a Pepsi in this scene...then have Mean Joe Greene show up and toss him a jersey!" (sorry, I'm old).

Well made action films on the other hand can be light and without any deep moral or societal lesson(s), but if they feel sincere...like the film maker is honestly doing their best and isn't trying to create an obvious money grab by including quickly outdated memes, gaping plot holes that are left unfixed because they don't have either the time or the desire to, and cameos from manufactured pop stars...it earns its money from me by being entertaining, I'll remember it longer than 4 steps down the lobby stairs afterwards.

At the end of the day, I think a popcorn action flick is any film that is highly entertaining. But it doesn't have to be badly made. It can bring more to the table without turning into an indie art house film.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TO ALL THE BOYS 2: P.S. I Still Love You
Spoiler:
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Last Thing He Wanted - international thriller with Anne Hathaway and Ben Affleck
Spoiler:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Miss Americana - Taylor Swift documentary
Spoiler:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I feel as if we’re at about 80 percent Taylor Swift, when we really should be at about 30 or 40 percent. Remember the chaos that occurred when we went to just 70 percent James Franco a few years ago? Yeah, we don’t want wanna go through that kind of trauma again, do we?
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I remember when Helen Hunt was in everything. Then she had to sit on an invalid's face to get a part.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Even at the height of Hunt, she never rose above 50 at most. Michael Caine circa 2000 was at about 80 for a while, but he’s actually fun, so it wasn’t that bad.

I still wake up screaming from that time we almost hit 70 percent Jessica Simpson about 10 years ago.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

So how do you feel about The Rock and Kevin Hart? They're holding tight at 92%.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would put them much lower. I don’t really see a ton of Hart, and the Rock, while higher up, hasn’t reached Franco levels yet. You literally have to appear in 8 straight movies in 6 months to get to Franco levels from a few years ago. I mean, the guy was appearing in high school plays even I think.

I’ll put together a PowerPoint presentation and we’ll go over it later.
He won. Period.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Just finished Hold the Dark, a movie ostensibly about a town in Alaska where children are getting taken away by wolves. It has a good critic rating on RT (71%), but I thought it was pretty bad. There was just a lot that was left unexplained and so the motivations of the main characters were hard to figure out. There were some nice landscape shots at least.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution
Spoiler:
stessier

Post by stessier »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:07 am Just finished Sex Education, fantastic show. The entire cast is excellent (with Gillian Anderson being the highlight), it strikes a perfect balance of raunch and sentiment, and it’s funny as hell. There was only one relationship that didn’t work for me because it felt way too forced, and that was

MAJOR SPOILER
Spoiler:
Adam and Eric
Other than that, 7/8 tentacles and I really hope it gets another season.
I just watched the first episode of the second season and am still really enjoying this show. I'm really looking forward for where they are going to take the characters this season.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:58 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:07 am Just finished Sex Education, fantastic show. The entire cast is excellent (with Gillian Anderson being the highlight), it strikes a perfect balance of raunch and sentiment, and it’s funny as hell. There was only one relationship that didn’t work for me because it felt way too forced, and that was

MAJOR SPOILER
Spoiler:
Adam and Eric
Other than that, 7/8 tentacles and I really hope it gets another season.
I just watched the first episode of the second season and am still really enjoying this show. I'm really looking forward for where they are going to take the characters this season.
I’m halfway through season 2, hope to finish it on the flight this afternoon. It’s actually better than season 1, which has been a pleasant surprise. The actors in this show are really fantastic, as is the soundtrack.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Yeah I agree Sex Ed Season 2 was probably better than the first in certain ways. I have not experienced such a cringe-worthy show in ages (in a good way). But they definitely take most of the characters to a deeper level, and it was great to get to see Gillian Anderson shine in a more vulnerable role this season.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just finished, excellent season. I thought it would take a step back, but it didn’t at all...they absolutely knocked it out of the park. The new characters (Rahim, Viv, Dex, Isaac) were all fantastic, but Gillian Anderson steals the entire show this season. As one review said, she can say more with a single raise of the eyebrow than most actors can say in an entire monologue.

The season was just the right balance of humor and genuine heart. Jackson’s story was my favorite, and the only storyline I didn’t like was the whole Ruby bit, as it felt like a cheap cop-out. The whole girl power/Breakfast Club thing also fell a bit flat, but the resolution was very sweet.

8/8 tentacles, fantastic show. Oh, and...
Spoiler:
Isaac, you cock. Knew it was coming, but that final scene was still heartbreaking.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Good to hear she's still got chops after what I consider to be a dull turn in Hannibal.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:23 pm I think a popcorn flick makes you want to eat popcorn.
Agreed. Which means it is a flick i want to watch in a theater becuse....popcorn. For me it is a film that takes advantage of the theatre expierence. Full of furious sounds and a visual spectacle. Good, bad, whatever.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I eat popcorn no matter what movie I see in a theater. But if it does turn out to be a stinker, I don't try to rationalize it as a worthwhile experience simply because it allowed me to eat popcorn. :P

I really need to get me a home theater popcorn machine of some type. :wub:
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Do they have a model big enough that I could just get in it?
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hmmm.... Unlikely. I worked at a theater back in the late 80's/early 90's. And unless they have drastically changed since then, I don't think so. That is not to say that you couldn't fit. The problem would be the large, extremely hot, metal popper in the center. You could possibly squeeze in, but doing so without burning yourself would be very problematic. Though maybe if you got in first? Still highly questionable. You'd do better to leave the door open and sit under it.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:05 pm Do they have a model big enough that I could just get in it?
Katom