News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

MonkeyFinger

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by MonkeyFinger »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:12 am Agreed. Ended up watching six or seven episodes last night since they're all pretty short. After the first few, I hopped around a bit and cherry-picked the rest: one about intelligent yogurt, another about a hyperjump gone wrong and then Lucky Number 13. 8-)
Just finished up the rest of the season. Big thumbs up from me, overall. Funny how history could change based on how Hitler died. :D
-mf
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

According to netflix, there are 4 different episodes order. So your first episode of Love, Death, and Robots may not be my first episode.

So what is your first episode?

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/19/love- ... xperiment/
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

An interesting albeit utterly pointless experiment.

Wait...did I say interesting? I meant to just say utterly pointless.
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Okay. Interesting. "Sonnie's Edge", for the record.

And I'm curious... did anyone else think of Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward when watching "Ice Age"? Not the ending, but pretty much everything up to that point.
-mf
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

So looking forward to watching the Motley Crue biopic tonight, The Dirt!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:43 am So looking forward to watching the Motley Crue biopic tonight, The Dirt!
Struggling basement band with mediocre talent throws on makeup, puts hot girls in videos, gets drunk and does too many drugs, all find God, clean up, do the county fair circuit. The End.

(I'm (half) kidding).
They wrote a couple of good tunes.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I look forward to 90 minutes of pure humblebragging.
Covfefe!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

stimpy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:59 am
Z-Corn wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:43 am So looking forward to watching the Motley Crue biopic tonight, The Dirt!
Struggling basement band with mediocre talent throws on makeup, puts hot girls in videos, gets drunk and does too many drugs, all find God, clean up, do the county fair circuit. The End.

(I'm (half) kidding).
Who found god?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:36 am According to netflix, there are 4 different episodes order. So your first episode of Love, Death, and Robots may not be my first episode.

Mine was Sonnie's Edge as well.

I've got 4 episodes left. Thought the last two episodes were real clunkers (the ghost fish one and Lucky 13), but all the others have been great. Favorites so far have been "Good Hunting" (the fox/demon/lady thing) and "The Witness" (because the animation/live action fusion was incredible)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:23 am
Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:36 am According to netflix, there are 4 different episodes order. So your first episode of Love, Death, and Robots may not be my first episode.

Mine was Sonnie's Edge as well.

I've got 4 episodes left. Thought the last two episodes were real clunkers (the ghost fish one and Lucky 13), but all the others have been great. Favorites so far have been "Good Hunting" (the fox/demon/lady thing) and "The Witness" (because the animation/live action fusion was incredible)
Same here.

So maybe the other orders are very rare. Or maybe they only do that in some regions as experiment.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Mine was Beyond the Aquila Rift, followed by the Secret War.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Aquila is 7th up for me. They did a 50-50 split and put one group with one episode starting and one group with another episode one. Cool trial.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

stimpy wrote:

(I'm (half) kidding).
Here's my quick review after watching this yesterday...

Snort cocaine, have sex with groupies, and make some decent 80's metal.

Rinse and repeat for nearly 2 hours.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I watched The Dirt last night. I enjoyed it a lot. What made it very good for me was the 80's west coast hard rock setting and the music. It was really cool to see the movie band mimic the original Motley Crue songs. The story is definitely over the top, but I expected that. I loved the era and the music, so the movie was a lot of fun to see.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Xmann wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:13 pm
stimpy wrote:

(I'm (half) kidding).
Here's my quick review after watching this yesterday...

Snort cocaine, have sex with groupies, and make some decent 80's metal.

Rinse and repeat for nearly 2 hours.
Watched this tonight and came away mostly ‘meh’. I was never a huge Crue fan to begin with, and their story pretty much just follows that basic 80’s hair metal template of drugs, sex, and excess.

The only real interesting part was the credits where they played the actual band footage next to the actors. I’ll give them credit for nailing the look, but the movie was otherwise pretty boring.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm with you. Also, the actor (I guess he's a rapper? I don't keep up with all you young folk music) playing Tommy Lee was pretty awful.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

It had the high-caliber quality of an episode of 90210.

It was entertaining, but it certainly won't win any awards, especially for acting. The worst had to be Pete Davidson. Man, that was terrible.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The Highwaymen, starring Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson as former texas rangers hired to track down Bonnie & Clyde. It was pretty good, and one of their better movies.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yaassss..

Brian

Post by Brian »

We've been binge-watching season 3 of Santa Clarita Diet. Drew Barrymore is good in it but Timothy Olyphant steals the show. That man is a goddamned treasure.

Seems Nathan Fillion as Greg (Last seen as a disembodied head) was either unable or unwilling to do season three so he has been replaced by...
Spoiler:
Alan Tudyk. If you can't have Capt Mal I guess you go with Wash instead
Edit: Just finished the season. Love that it just keeps getting crazy but without going completely off the rails like the last season of iZombie.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm of the opinion that there is nothing Olyphant can't do.

Also, episode 2 of season 3, Ron and the satchel. Had me laughing out loud. That actor is hilarious.
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

We watched Always Be My Maybe last weekend. It's... fine? Romantic comedies are generally not my jam, and this is a very bog-standard romantic comedy. Well-executed with some nice bits (especially the parts with Keanu Reeves), but no real surprises. The highlights for me were Randall Park, who is in his mid-40s, playing a teenage version of himself, and this t-shirt, because I own it.

Of the two Netflix rom-coms that I have watched, this ranks a couple of notches below To All the Boys I've Loved Before, which is genuinely excellent.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Magic: The Gathering
A Magic: The Gathering animated series is coming to Netflix, Variety has learned.

Joe and Anthony Russo, Wizards of The Coast, and Hasbro’s Allspark Animation have teamed with Netflix to bring the fantasy game to the screen for the first time in the franchise’s history. The Russos will oversee the creation of an all new storyline and expand on the stories of the Planeswalkers, which are Magic’s magic-wielding heroes and villains.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We watched Always Be My Maybe over the weekend, and I enjoyed it. I like the two main actors, and thought it was funny enough to make it interesting. The cameo in it was probably my favorite part. It was so unexpected that I burst out laughing.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Anyone watch rim of the world yet? It's on my list...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Formix

Post by Formix »

I watched Rim of the World, and, for what it was, it was okay. I see what they were trying to do with the 80's nostalgia thing, but there were just a few plot points that took me right past any logical suspension of disbelief. Add a few story holes, and some overly crass dialog from the kid actors, and I probably wouldn't recommend it, especially not for kids. As a point of reference, I've watched the Goonies and the Bad News Bears with my kids, and didn't have a problem, so it's not the language, really.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ditto. It tried to capture the feel of an 80's kid action movie, but it felt like the writers/director never actually watched one before doing so.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, speaking of that, Spike Lee's See You Yesterday was also terrible. That's two releases by high-profile directors on Netflix released on a short time frame from each other that stink. It almost feels as though Netflix is proud to have them and signing them just to say they could have high-profile directors to their ranks. I have to wonder the average of how many of these movies are actually fully watched by people.

I managed to endure See You Yesterday, but turned off Rim of the World after 15 minutes. The acting was so so wooden.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I didn't think the acting was that bad. I just thought the attempt to make them into mini versions of adult characters from The Hangover was a misguided one. The kids themselves should be commended for doing what they did with the script.
Covfefe!
Scoop20906

Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Scoop20906 »

Formix wrote:I watched Rim of the World, and, for what it was, it was okay. I see what they were trying to do with the 80's nostalgia thing, but there were just a few plot points that took me right past any logical suspension of disbelief. Add a few story holes, and some overly crass dialog from the kid actors, and I probably wouldn't recommend it, especially not for kids. As a point of reference, I've watched the Goonies and the Bad News Bears with my kids, and didn't have a problem, so it's not the language, really.
I was trying to get into it but the crass jokes and dialog totally took me out if it. My stepson told me many of the side roles were people from vine and youtube. Do kids find that those jokes funny? I feel so out of touch.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ve come to the conclusion that kids today only find blows to the groin funny. Now get off my lawn!
Covfefe!
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

Another vote for Always be my Maybe. Surprisingly enjoyable movie. Enough laughs that things kept moving along, and my wife and I felt the two mains were good. All of the characters felt pretty fleshed out, and the movie did a good job of tieing together lots of pieces such as family as well.
The cameo was the highlight. I actually was near tears at one point...
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:14 pm I didn't think the acting was that bad. I just thought the attempt to make them into mini versions of adult characters from The Hangover was a misguided one. The kids themselves should be commended for doing what they did with the script.
Yeah, see, I kind of wonder what the intended audience is for both of these movies. They're similar in that they're both movies that evoke childhood sentimentality via children adventures, but end up being at odds with that. In See You Yesterday, it looks like a Nickelodeon produced movie with bright colours and all, until they drop f-bombs and n-bombs. So, not child appropriate at all, and not entertaining or well-written enough for adults.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Toe

Post by Toe »

I had brought it up in another thread previously, but figure I would add it here also. Watched some of Our Planet the other day (it was released April 5th this year) and was really blown away. Some of the most amazing videography I have ever seen (especially with a 4K TV and upgraded netflix). Throw in the legendary David Attenborough narrating and an epic musical score and, wow, it's truly a feast. Highly recommend for any nature lovers or people wanting to show off 4K stuff.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Going to go and recommend Undercover. If you like Narcos, this has a similar premise with undercover officers posing as husband & wife to take down a Drug kingpin who makes and sells extacy in Belgium. The kingpin owns a trailer park and these officers move into a unit.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

In the show LD&R, I liked Lucky 13 and Ice Age.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Watched the latest 3 episodes of Black Mirror this weekend... and only sort of liked Smithereens, the second episode. The other two, Ashley Too and Striking Vipers were pretty poor. Most of all, none of the three episodes felt like Black Mirror episodes to me. They all touched on technology to a point but nothing like past episoded. Very disappointed.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The reviews for the entire season have not been kind.
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Daveman wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:30 pm Watched the latest 3 episodes of Black Mirror this weekend... and only sort of liked Smithereens, the second episode. The other two, Ashley Too and Striking Vipers were pretty poor. Most of all, none of the three episodes felt like Black Mirror episodes to me. They all touched on technology to a point but nothing like past episoded. Very disappointed.
I watched them this weekend, too. They were... fine. I didn't think any of them had the impact of the best BM episodes from previous seasons, unfortunately.
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

This is going to be really out there; but Resurrection: Eartugul is on my watch list. The subtitles are terrible; the plot moves at a glacial pace and its very soapy and low budget, but I keep coming back to it. Dunno why. Eurtugul is heavily subsidized by the turkish govt and this show is basically propaganda.

Its a Turkish show so might not be your cup of tea but it's entertaining despite all its flaws.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.