News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by stessier »

Same with One Day at a Time - critics said it was good and important but not enough people watched to justify a fourth season.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Mindhunter Season 2 is sooooo good. I had nightmares about BTK last night, and I almost never get spooked watching scary stuff right before bed. Also, I don't know who decides on the music for the show, but I want to buy that person a beer.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:04 pm Mindhunter Season 2 is sooooo good. I had nightmares about BTK last night, and I almost never get spooked watching scary stuff right before bed. Also, I don't know who decides on the music for the show, but I want to buy that person a beer.
All the soundtrack work (not just the score) stands out as amazing. We're six episodes into S2 (I had watched S1 when MHS was on the road, so we'll be circling back to watch it together) and very much enjoying it.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

End credits of episode 5 of season 2 of Mindhunter has some Night Gallery level creepy music. Also, it has more of the absolutely fantastic
Spoiler:
Cameron Britton...who I'm pretty sure the producers of the show know is the breakout star of this show...which is saying something with such a solid cast. I also thought their Manson was pretty damn good too. I enjoyed the slight nod to his insecurity with height when he made sure sure to sit on the back of his chair, thereby forcing Holden and Tench to look up at him the whole time.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We binged Season 3 of GLOW over the weekend. Meh.

The first season was good, season 2 went downhill and season 3 just seems like why bother. The writers shoehorned in a bunch of political stances that were well-meaning and that I may agree with but they just killed any plot momentum. Plus there was barely ANY wrestling!

I predict this show won't be renewed. Maybe they have already announced that.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:15 pm We binged Season 3 of GLOW over the weekend. Meh.

The first season was good, season 2 went downhill and season 3 just seems like why bother. The writers shoehorned in a bunch of political stances that were well-meaning and that I may agree with but they just killed any plot momentum. Plus there was barely ANY wrestling!

This seems to be a minority opinion.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

stessier wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:27 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:15 pm We binged Season 3 of GLOW over the weekend. Meh.

Which part?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:29 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:27 pm

Which part?
Honestly, the whole thing. :) A quick search shows Season 3 is considered to be quite good and many hope there will be a Season 4 with an actress possible already suggesting there will be. (Anecdotally, everyone in my friend circle who watches really thought the seasons have been improving and really liked 3.)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:29 am As long as the show is getting enough views, Netflix doesn't seem to care what the critics say. Case in point: Tuca & Bertie. Critics loved that show (and it was hilarious) but it got canceled after one season, presumably due to low viewership.
There was a Netflix show awhile back that I liked. Not only did it only get one season, but it was announced as being canned after being out there for less than a month or two as far as I can remember. Seeing as Netflix won't release any data, it's hard to know exactly what happened. But you'd think streaming shows would be more immune to this kind of thing, but in effect I think it's worse as I've heard they have no qualms about cancelling something when they have so many shows in production.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I'm with you. I've watched about half of this season, and I feel pretty bored. I really liked the first two seasons.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

GLOW Season 3 was depressing 80s but I like how the characters are struggling, even if it does cross over to politics. The consequences of publicity were pretty nicely done. A 4th season should wrap it up tho.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm not feeling it for a Breaking Bad show based around Jesse.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, it's only a movie, but yeah.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I suspect no on here watches it but I binge-watched the entire third season of 13 Reasons Why this weekend. I've really enjoyed the show, but I have to say if I had a child I would not let them go to high school after watching this lol. This season features a complicated murder-ish(?) mystery with the same time jumping and flashback style of previous seasons. And yes, even a cassette tape or two. It touches on issues like drug abuse, steroids, lies, secrets, heroism, friendship, male rape, female rape, standing up to rapists, redemption, bullying, ICE, closet gays, physical abuse, and a whole bevy of other stuff. The writers manage to weave it all together without seeming too contrived, though again, I just can't imagine any high school being this filled with this much adult content. Of course I was a very sheltered kid so I may just have never seen the underbelly of high school life. Perhaps that's why I get so invested in this show now.

There are some great emotional moments and the cast does a great job again, and they have a way of making you actually feel sympathy for the show's villain(s). The final resolution of the murder is pretty complicated and convoluted (and probably the weakest part of the show in some ways), but it looks like it will be addressed in the final season.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:04 pm Mindhunter Season 2 is sooooo good. I had nightmares about BTK last night, and I almost never get spooked watching scary stuff right before bed. Also, I don't know who decides on the music for the show, but I want to buy that person a beer.
I've been blasting through S1 and now halfway through S2 - just watched the episode with Manson last night. I thought the actor for Ed Kemper was top notch (he still is and it still blows my mind it's Hazel from the Umbrella Academy), but the actor that plays Manson is fantastic - what an amazing scene that was.

Still really liking the show and using BTK as a slow burn and ultimately a counterpoint to everything they're learning and formulating is fantastic. No idea why I didn't start watching this show until now but it's definitely one of the best things I've seen on Netflix.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My only concern (and it might just be that I'm forgetting some crucial elements from season 1 that would prove otherwise) is that Holden seemed to be played off as more of a sociopath this season than last. I know the writers went out of their way to show how his interviews with serial killers was affecting him, but it seemed in season 2 that he almost embraces that detached, misanthropic quality that I didn't feel was that prevalent in season 1.

However, I did love
Spoiler:
the scene in Atlanta at the hotel in which Holden initially thinks he's about to get lucky with the gorgeous hotel clerk...only to find out she really only wanted his help with the child murders. In any sane character, there would be some sense of annoyance at the somewhat deceptive manner in which she lured him to that meeting, but Holden is so obsessed with his job that he doesn't even care. Not one damn bit.
Just started Dark last night. A German sci fi/thriller series. First episode was sufficiently creepy and mysterious to keep me interested enough to look forward to more episodes. Looks like there's two seasons available. I'm hoping they wrapped it up in two seasons, and it's not a case of I get to the end of season 2 only to find out season 3 is coming in 2073 or something.
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:52 pm
I've been blasting through S1 and now halfway through S2 - just watched the episode with Manson last night. I thought the actor for Ed Kemper was top notch (he still is and it still blows my mind it's Hazel from the Umbrella Academy), but the actor that plays Manson is fantastic - what an amazing scene that was.

Still really liking the show and using BTK as a slow burn and ultimately a counterpoint to everything they're learning and formulating is fantastic. No idea why I didn't start watching this show until now but it's definitely one of the best things I've seen on Netflix.
I got hung up about 6 episodes into S1, and kind of gave up on it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I really need to get around to finishing S1 of Mindhunter, as S2 looks really interesting. Just gotta figure out how to get past my dislike of the lead actor.
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:52 pm the actor that plays Manson is fantastic - what an amazing scene that was.
It's the same guy who plays Dewey Crowe on Justified, which is a bit of a trip.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holy crap, that was Damon Herriman??? AND he played Manson in his brief appearance on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood?

In neither instance did I recognize him. He's such a great character actor.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You know...a few times I thought I saw a Dewey expression on his face but just wrote it off as me being completely unable to (generally) recognize actors. I couldn't place Dr. Carr and felt stupid after I looked it up.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

rittchard wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:55 pm It touches on issues like drug abuse, steroids, lies, secrets, heroism, friendship, male rape, female rape, standing up to rapists, redemption, bullying, ICE, closet gays, physical abuse, and a whole bevy of other stuff. The writers manage to weave it all together without seeming too contrived, though again, I just can't imagine any high school being this filled with this much adult content.
Degrassi did all that in the 80's and was praised for doing so in a time when subjects like these just weren't talked about. They managed to do it in a way that felt natural, and best of all, used real kids with regular lives and of the same age as their characters they were playing rather than glossy actors and actresses as 90210 would later do.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:My only concern (and it might just be that I'm forgetting some crucial elements from season 1 that would prove otherwise) is that Holden seemed to be played off as more of a sociopath this season than last.
I find it a ironic that I find Holden (presumably the "main" character) to be the least interesting person in the entire show. I don't necessarily pin the blame on the actor, as I'm sure he's playing the part excellently as written, but everyone around him is just far more entertaining. Holt McCallany (Tench) is absolutely riveting this season in a way he never was in the first. Anna Torv (Wendy) is phenomenal as usual and her character has been given much more depth. The killers are more varied and everyone who played one is spot on.

By comparison, it seems like Holden is the ONLY thing about the show that wasn't given an upgrade or a more interesting story arc. There's a glimmer of drama at the end of Season 1 for him, but ultimately Season 2 is just more Holden being Holden. It's a very odd choice for a show which is otherwise excellent in every way.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holden this season is almost emotionless throughout the entire thing. That’s hard to do without making the character unrelatable and...well...boring. The only times I really liked Holden in season 2 was the aforementioned scene in Atlanta, as well as his enthusiasm for the Manson interview.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm Elfo!

Coming 9/20. I know it was mentioned up-thread, but I really enjoyed whatever they're calling what's already on Netflix. S1 Part 1? It's all semantics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

In.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Absolutely love Disenchantment. :wub:

Elfo is great, true. But you can't beat Luci. I'm a sucker for any character that reminds me of Bender.
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

rittchard wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:55 pm I suspect no on here watches it but I binge-watched the entire third season of 13 Reasons Why this weekend. I've really enjoyed the show, but I have to say if I had a child I would not let them go to high school after watching this lol. This season features a complicated murder-ish(?) mystery with the same time jumping and flashback style of previous seasons. And yes, even a cassette tape or two. It touches on issues like drug abuse, steroids, lies, secrets, heroism, friendship, male rape, female rape, standing up to rapists, redemption, bullying, ICE, closet gays, physical abuse, and a whole bevy of other stuff. The writers manage to weave it all together without seeming too contrived, though again, I just can't imagine any high school being this filled with this much adult content. Of course I was a very sheltered kid so I may just have never seen the underbelly of high school life. Perhaps that's why I get so invested in this show now.

There are some great emotional moments and the cast does a great job again, and they have a way of making you actually feel sympathy for the show's villain(s). The final resolution of the murder is pretty complicated and convoluted (and probably the weakest part of the show in some ways), but it looks like it will be addressed in the final season.
I watched the first two seasons. It's a guilty pleasure. A bit too angsty, but enough to keep me interested. Have no idea what season 3 is about. I'll watch it eventually.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

My wife and daughter watched a season 3 episode last night and it looked like it was intentionally darkened, contrast-wise. Some scenes were so dark you couldn't make out faces. It was really weird. Apparently all season 3 is like that. Other shows are all normal. Anyone else see that?
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

By the way, Taco Chronicles is highly addictive and has resulted in my making a list of Mexican restaurants around Chicago where I can find the tacos and other delicacies they feature on the show.
He won. Period.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

rittchard wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:55 pm I suspect no on here watches it but I binge-watched the entire third season of 13 Reasons Why this weekend.
I don't watch the show, but a girl I used to babysit ages ago is an extra on it!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

No one has scouted out Dark Crystal for us yet? Come on, folks.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:By the way, Taco Chronicles is highly addictive and has resulted in my making a list of Mexican restaurants around Chicago where I can find the tacos and other delicacies they feature on the show.

You could always come down to Texas. Rumor has it that we have a place or three.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

After the episode on barbacoa I'm tempted to fly down to Mexico City to try authentic barbacoa cooking pits. Also, something I just learned, the insect larvae found on the roots of agave plants is considered a delicacy in Mexico. They make a salsa out of them in that episode.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Zaxxon wrote:No one has scouted out Dark Crystal for us yet? Come on, folks.
I snuck a few minutes in of the first episode at lunch and I swear this thing looks like it was filmed in the '80s. It's jaw-droppingly true to the original film.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:19 pm No one has scouted out Dark Crystal for us yet? Come on, folks.
It’s on the list for this weekend.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just started the first episode. I guess I’m not a fan of the original, at least not at this point in my life, as the puppets just distract me from the rest of the admittedly amazing set pieces...and not in a good way.

Whenever the puppets run, I just see Beaker from The Muppets freaking out.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just watched the first episode and loved it. The visuals are simply incredible, and I really like how they’re building the world. The voice work (especially from Hamill and Pegg as Skeksis) is fantastic.

After watching a bazillion CGI characters over the years, I actually find the puppets quite endearing...especially since the puppetry is so well done. I can see how they’d rub some folks the wrong way though.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:19 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:19 pm No one has scouted out Dark Crystal for us yet? Come on, folks.
It’s on the list for this weekend.
Taking wife and Daughter to Dragoncon today and we plan on watching a couple episodes tonight. Should be nerdtastical! :dance:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:10 am After watching a bazillion CGI characters over the years, I actually find the puppets quite endearing...especially since the puppetry is so well done. I can see how they’d rub some folks the wrong way though.
I honestly feel like this is on me, not the show or the puppets. It's like I'm an old fogey who can't see the wonder in the show because I'm not open minded enough. :cry:
He won. Period.