[Film] Logan - The final Hugh Jackman Wolverine movie

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Re: [Film] Logan - The final Hugh Jackman Wolverine movie

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I am so pumped for this movie. Even more than I was for Deadpool.
Super Bowl Spot followed by Redband Trailer in 4k
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That little girl was perfect casting. She has an otherworldly look about her. She's a cute kid, but I actually believe she's a cute kid who could kill me in a heartbeat in those trailers.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The BBC review scores it at 4/5.
In an era of cinematic product homogenisation there’s no doubt that Logan is a risky proposition. But this is reportedly Jackman’s last time donning those claws and chewing on that cigar. Considering it was his Wolverine, as the centrepiece of Bryan Singer’s X-Men (2000), who launched the currently omnipresent superhero phenomenon in the first place, maybe the most appropriate thing would be that, with the brutal, melancholic elegy that is Logan, Wolverine remakes the superhero movie again, this time as a farewell.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Never say never, again?
it's a notable change in the tone of Jackman's comments about the future. It suggests that, should Fox put together the right pitch — and this team-up may well be the right pitch — then he's open to reconsidering his retirement.
The reference is to a possible Deadpool/Wolverine team up. Of course its just vague enough to give hope without any commitment.

here's the article: https://moviepilot.com/p/hugh-jackman-n ... an/4183168
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

93% at RT. I might have to see this in the theaters...
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'd really like to see this movie in the theaters, I just don't know if I can swing it. Wolverine is one of my favorite characters and on the whole I've really enjoyed Hugh Jackman's portrayal of him. And yeah, everything I've seen suggests it's a winner.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I have to wait until I get more info on what kind of nudity and in what context it's involved.
I have taken my 13yo grandson to every superhero movie thats come out lately, except Deadpool.
I knew what kind of movie that was going to be.
If it's just violence, he's well adjusted enough for that. But nudity? Not quite sure...
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stimpy wrote:If it's just violence, he's well adjusted enough for that. But nudity? Not quite sure...
From the internet:
There is a brief glimpse of female upper-body frontal nudity when a woman pulls down her gown partially to flash her breasts at a male character.
All I'm going to say is that seeing Swamp Thing in the movie theater as a kid really clarified some things for me. I'll make no comments on the violence, but with an "R" rating, I'm guessing it's going to be a bit different than other Marvel movies.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Smoove_B wrote:
stimpy wrote:If it's just violence, he's well adjusted enough for that. But nudity? Not quite sure...
From the internet:
There is a brief glimpse of female upper-body frontal nudity when a woman pulls down her gown partially to flash her breasts at a male character.
All I'm going to say is that seeing Swamp Thing in the movie theater as a kid really clarified some things for me.
Adrienne Barbeau....... :wub:
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

stimpy wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:
From the internet:
All I'm going to say is that seeing Swamp Thing in the movie theater as a kid really clarified some things for me.
I remember sitting in a movie theater at 12 years old, watching Logan's Run with my mom and dad. She threatened to drag me out of there a couple of times.

Had a thing for Jenny Agutter from that point forward.

Could you imagine a PG movie today with that much nudity? Gotta love the 70's!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hentzau wrote:
stimpy wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:
From the internet:
I remember sitting in a movie theater at 12 years old, watching Logan's Run with my mom and dad. She threatened to drag me out of there a couple of times.

Yea...I'm probably being over-cautious. I'm sure he's been exposed to plenty already. But I'm not ready to take him down that path yet.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

hentzau wrote: I remember sitting in a movie theater at 12 years old, watching Logan's Run with my mom and dad. She threatened to drag me out of there a couple of times.

Then HBO and the VCR let you watch it at home.

Going with friends to an early afternoon show Friday. Very excited to see it. Then dinner, then a hockey game. Hopefully, someone gets body checked at dinner or my day won't be filled with nearly enough violence.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

stimpy wrote: If it's just violence, he's well adjusted enough for that. But nudity? Not quite sure...
The violence is supposed to be quite brutal. Full dismemberment with an emphasis on suffering. This is not a feelgood superhero movie.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

stimpy wrote: If it's just violence, he's well adjusted enough for that. But nudity? Not quite sure...
Can you explain why violence is ok but nudity isn't? This is something I know is mainstream opinion, but I have never been able to wrap my head around.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

noxiousdog wrote:
Can you explain why violence is ok but nudity isn't? This is something I know is mainstream opinion, but I have never been able to wrap my head around.
because nudity=evil, violence = Merica'
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

noxiousdog wrote:
I didn't say that violence was okay, just that with the plethora of video games he plays that have excess amounts of it, I'm sure seeing someone getting whacked wont have quite the same impact as seeing his first naked boob.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Holman

Post by Holman »

Not to get in your face about this, but I would be *very* surprised if a 13-year-old hasn't encountered PG- to R-rated nudity already.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Holman wrote:Not to get in your face about this, but I would be *very* surprised if a 13-year-old hasn't encountered PG- to R-rated nudity already.
The real answer is.. Does he have Internet?
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Punisher wrote:
Holman wrote:Not to get in your face about this, but I would be *very* surprised if a 13-year-old hasn't encountered PG- to R-rated nudity already.
The real answer is.. Does he have Internet?
Not unsupervised.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

This movie is amazeballs.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Combustible Lemur wrote:This movie is amazeballs.
I was going to post something similar, but this sums it up pretty well. Saw it this morning. It was a tour de force. Excellent all the way through.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Great movie through and through - even if it wasn't an 'X-Men' movie it would have been complete all on its own.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Not even remotely what I expected, but great movie.

I cannot imagine any 13 year old should be seeing this movie. But I don't have kids, so have fun.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Should I have seen the previous two Wolverine movies?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Everything I've read suggests it's not necessary, but I honestly can't imagine experiencing the full impact of this movie without knowing his story - particularly from not only his movies but his appearances in the last two X-men films.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm up to speed on the X-Men films, but have yet to see the stand-alones.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

There are a few small call backs, but nothing critical I would say..

Wife and I saw it and loved it..

After seeing this, they should make a stand alone movie with Wolverine, Prof X, and Deadpool...where it's about a road trip to go antiquing across the country...
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Fitzy wrote:Not even remotely what I expected, but great movie.

I cannot imagine any 13 year old should be seeing this movie. But I don't have kids, so have fun.
For graphic violence, nudity or both?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Violence. There was a tiny bit of brief nudity. Blink and you'd miss it. But there was a LOT of violence. And not clean or pretty violence.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not up on Wolverine. Why is he aging? Was it something about what the Silver Samurai did to him...which I haven't seen.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

TheMix wrote:Violence. There was a tiny bit of brief nudity. Blink and you'd miss it. But there was a LOT of violence. And not clean or pretty violence.
Thanks. I just heard from my daughter, who was leaving the theatre, and she said it's definitely fine to take him.
Like I said, he well adjusted enough to handle violence in this type of context and enjoy it for what it is....entertainment.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Daehawk wrote:Im not up on Wolverine. Why is he aging? Was it something about what the Silver Samurai did to him...which I haven't seen.
Spoiler:
I haven't seen it but I heard adamantium poisoning
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

IceBear wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Im not up on Wolverine. Why is he aging? Was it something about what the Silver Samurai did to him...which I haven't seen.
Spoiler:
I haven't seen it but I heard adamantium poisoning

I have seen it and
Spoiler:
yes.. I think this happened in the comics as well and I "think" It was touched on in the movie with Silver Samurai
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

TheMix wrote:Violence. There was a tiny bit of brief nudity. Blink and you'd miss it. But there was a LOT of violence. And not clean or pretty violence.
There are 2 pieces of nudity I remember...
Spoiler:
1) Ryan Reynolds butt in the Deadpool 2 Teaser
2) A bride flashes her boobs too Logan in a limo.
IIRC, Ryan's butt is on screen longer than the boobs.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

This movie was surprisingly excellent. Hugh Jackman's performance was so well done. The title of the movie is so appropriate - this isn't Wolverine. At least not the Wolverine we all know and love. Logan is not healing as well. He's sick. He struggles to walk. And Jackman plays him not just as the grizzled old Wolverine, but as someone who has been through a long life and is tired and worn down. There is actual nuance and subtlety and emotion.

The young girl's performance is really good too, as is Patrick Stewart's, of course.

The violence in this movie is certainly different from any X-men we've seen before. There isn't much CGI at all, and not really any big, flashy battles. Instead we get lots of brutal and bloody evisceration. I guess I'd say it's gritty, though that word is overused.

Because this isn't a big flashy film with huge set pieces, I would say that it isn't a necessity to go see it in a theater. You won't miss much by seeing it on a smaller screen. However, I would say it is a necessity to see. I'd say it's one of the best superhero movies ever made, but it's not really a superhero movie.

My only real criticism comes in MAJOR spoilers. Do not click if you've not seen the movie.
Spoiler:
I thought the deaths were a little anti-climactic. I get that's kind of what they were shooting for, especially with Charles, but I don't like that he died in such a feeble way.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

This was a great movie. One of the best super hero movies to have come out so far. That said, it isn't a movie that I want to watch over and over again. It's a heavy movie. But it's absolutely a great movie.

I didn't feel the violence was overly graphic. Yes, it's brutal. Yes there's a lot of killing. It isn't graphic, though. You see people getting stabbed a lot but there isn't gushing blood, lots of guts hanging out, or gore. There is actually very little blood. If The Walking Dead is a 10 on gore, this movie is a 3. The boobs are barely worth mentioning. There is, essentially, no nudity. There is nothing sexual about them and, actually, there is nothing sexual in the movie. I, personally, think Iron Man 1 with it's torture scenes is worse for kids than this movie. It's rated R but honestly, it's not as nearly an R for what you see as Deadpool. There are some more adult themes than Deadpool but that's it.

This is the Schindler's List of comic book movies. Fantastic movie but not one you'll want to see over and over.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

cheeba wrote:
My only real criticism comes in MAJOR spoilers. Do not click if you've not seen the movie.
Spoiler:
I thought the deaths were a little anti-climactic. I get that's kind of what they were shooting for, especially with Charles, but I don't like that he died in such a feeble way.
Spoiler:
Not sure how you would expect him to go out. Clearly, he is sick and apparently suffering Alzheimer or Dementia . Charles like Logan is worn down and a shell of who he once was. Imo, it was humbling to see the man considered as one of the most powerful mutant suffering cause his mind was failing

Loved the movie and the ending. Unless they plan to move forward with a X-23 movie then this X-Men Timeline is over. Wonder if they'll add a new Wolverine to the new X-Men team especially if they're going with the Dark Phoenix for the next movie
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

stimpy wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:
I didn't say that violence was okay, just that with the plethora of video games he plays that have excess amounts of it, I'm sure seeing someone getting whacked wont have quite the same impact as seeing his first naked boob.
Thank you for replying, but that didn't really answer the question.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If this was posted and I missed it sorry.

An Unscripted interview with Hugh and Patrick.

They are pretty funny.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote:If this was posted and I missed it sorry.

An Unscripted interview with Hugh and Patrick.

They are pretty funny.
Thanks for the link. That was fun.

Black Lives Matter