Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pr0ner

Re: NHL 2016-17 season

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Jolor wrote:So, fans. Happy with your team's trade deadline moves?
Yes. The Canucks have formally started the rebuild. They just need to admit that Daniel and Henrik are second liners and short timers and really make it happen. No disrespect.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Lost 6-3 to Boston last night. That's a kick in the 'nads.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The Calgary Flames have somehow won 10 games in a row. Good time in the year to go on such a streak!
Hodor.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I'll admit that I take a tiny bit of satisfaction from the Wings being better than Colorado. That rivalry dies hard. :D

That said, it has been a LONG time since I've had to endure a season like this. A few bright spots in flashes but nothing consistent to make me think the future is much brighter. I have a dreadful feeling I may have to suffer through another bout of the "DeadThings". :(

Oh well. I'll still cheer them on and keep hoping.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Remus West wrote:I'll admit that I take a tiny bit of satisfaction from the Wings being better than Colorado. That rivalry dies hard. :D

That said, it has been a LONG time since I've had to endure a season like this. A few bright spots in flashes but nothing consistent to make me think the future is much brighter. I have a dreadful feeling I may have to suffer through another bout of the "DeadThings". :(

Oh well. I'll still cheer them on and keep hoping.
Yeah I think it'll be a few years since they're in a bit of a not a rebuild and not a good team either. Z isn't getting any younger, who's going to take the reins of the team when he's gone?
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

March 26, 1997 We probably won't witness this at the game tonight.

~*~*~

Re: Wings prospects of bouncing back... I tend to agree. Maybe (maybe) Larkin is the next Zetterberg, Mantha is the next Shanahan, Athanasiou is the next Fedorov, Tatar and Nyquist are who we thought they were, Mrazek is the next Osgood, Jensen, Sproul, Ouelette are the next Murphy, Stuart, and Rafalski. But it sure appears that Blashill is not the next Babcock and Holland isn't the same Holland. (Not to mention anyone being the next Bowman, Yzerman, Datsyuk, or Lidstrom — an unfair expectation for replacement even in Remus West's dreams.)

I'm of the opinion that we leave available in the expansion draft any of the players who won't be on Detroit's next Cup contending squad. Many fans scream bloody murder at me for leaving Zetterberg exposed (Z, by the way, has shown the utmost in professionalism as he has performed so strongly on a squad which clearly is not going anywhere this year) — mostly because an early retirement on his part screws the Wings' cap situation up royally for years. But we're not going to see Abdelkader, Helm, Nyquist, Howard, etc. go deep in the post-season while wearing the Winged Wheel (at least not in the prime of their careers).

The defining characteristic of the DRW is loyalty (much to the chagrin of anyone following the twilight of Danny Cleary's career). This is not the Patriots. Ken Holland is not going to get outed from his GM position and replaced with Igor Larionov (as much as I'd love it if it'd happen). We're not going to see a massive sell-off of aging vets and a few years of tanking in an effort to rebuild from scratch. We are likely in line with seeing years at the new Little Caesars Arena with the team in the muddled middle, flirting with a post-season appearance (if we're lucky) and not really getting much in the way of top draft choices.

All bets are off, however, if the new Ilitch breaks script and decides to put his own mark on the team. If, against all odds, we get new management and a new philosophy at the top — a team led by someone without that sense of loyalty and a historical devotion to doing things "the Red Wings way," then maybe we end up with something else entirely. I absolutely don't see it happening before folks stop showing up for games at the LCA and revenues are significantly impacted.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Isgrimnur wrote:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

*Stolen from Reddit

There exists a scenario where the Leafs and Lightning not only tie in the standings (with 94 points) but that they tie in all of the tiebreakers. Credit to twitter user @ineffectivemath for breaking this down.

The NHL rule book lists these as the tiebreakers:
1. The fewer number of games players (this is irrelevant as in this scenario they will have both played 82 games).

The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.

The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs.

The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season.

So essentially this is the scenario:
TB 3 TOR 2 (OT)
TB 4 MTL 1
TB 2 BUF 0
TOR 0 PIT 3
TOR 1 CBJ 2

94 points, 38 ROW, head-to-head 5-5, goal difference +6

Obviously unlikely as all 5 criteria would have to be met but I assume then the NHL would have to do a tiebreaker game as in baseball? Anyway, thought this was a cool thing a felt I would share. Again apologies if this has been posted.
Isgrimnur wrote:
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

LOL Leafs and playoffs. You're funny.

Wait, what?

First playoff appearance in a non-shortened season since 2004. Hopefully they can pull out of the wild card and avoid Washington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stessier

Post by stessier »

They could break the tie like the NFL with a coin flip.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

J.D. wrote:LOL Leafs and playoffs. You're funny.

Wait, what?

First playoff appearance in a non-shortened season since 2004. Hopefully they can pull out of the wild card and avoid Washington.

I actually think they can get out of the first round if they avoid Washington. Washington is too big of a matchup for them though, I know we repeat this every year but they're superior by a large margin to all teams in the east.

But, playoff hockey, anything can happen.
Isgrimnur wrote:
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Playoffs kick off on Wednesday!
----------------------------
SENS 0 BRUINS 0
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ducks beat the Kings in OT to notch their fifth straight division title - sweet! Now a grudge match with the Calgary Flaming Flames. Snuff 'em out!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Playoffs!!!

Please don't get swept. #GoLeafs

J.D.

NHL 2016-17 season

Post by J.D. »

Someone forgot to tell the Leafs they're underdogs. Series tied 1-1 and WSH has only led for 3 minutes in total in the first two games.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

J.D. wrote:Someone forgot to tell the Leafs they're underdogs. Series tied 1-1 and WSH has only led for 3 minutes in total in the first two games.
Yeah Toronto is playing well.
The Polak injury was....... bad.
Isgrimnur wrote:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Looking like the Avs will win as many playoff games as the Hawks this year...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CBJ Zach Werenski out for the year after suffering facial fractures from a puck to the face:
They lost Game 3 in overtime on Sunday, and played the extra frame without rookie sensation Zach Werenski, whose eye had swollen shut during the intermission following the third period.

Werenski had taken a Phil Kessel wrist shot to his face in the second period. The Penguins scored while the 19-year-old was trying to skate off the ice.

He later returned wearing a full cage but was unable to participate in overtime, and he showed us all why after the game:
Pic and video at the link.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Oh, Washington. I never expected this. I was thinking the Leafs would win one game, maybe. Now I want the series.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ducks were down 2 - 4 in the third period when I turned it off. Only to wake up this morning and find they won in OT. Sweet!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ducks sweep the Flames!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sabres fire HC and GM.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Jaymann wrote:Ducks sweep the Flames!
Not a Ducks fan even a little but I have left over hatred for the Flames for subbing their back-up goalie in against the Wings simply to take a two hander to Homer's knee during the playoffs. Glad to see them gone.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Remus West wrote:
Not a Ducks fan even a little but I have left over hatred for the Flames for subbing their back-up goalie in against the Wings simply to take a two hander to Homer's knee during the playoffs. Glad to see them gone.
You really think the Flames coaches told McLennan to do that? Still? Get a grip, man.
Hodor.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

pr0ner wrote:
Remus West wrote:
You really think the Flames coaches told McLennan to do that? Still? Get a grip, man.
You really think there was a different reason to put him in the game at all?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Why would you eye roll that? It's a funny and welcoming message until you include the eye roll. Then it becomes an insult that would keep away the exact people you are trying to entice to come and spend money. It seems like an odd way to try and build a Vegas team. Though maybe that's their way of trying to build a home town fan base. *shrug* I foresee them having a worse time trying to build a home town fan base than the Lightning and Coyotes already have. That also would mean (to me) that they would have a hard time retaining talent when all of the hockey fans comes to Vegas to their team beat The Knights.