NHL 2016-17 season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: NHL 2016-17 season

Post by Isgrimnur »

WHAT?!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote:WHAT?!
It's jarring at first but it's not that loud in that arena. :P
Hodor.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Even after 10?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

tjg_marantz wrote:Even after 10?
Lol. Not like it's a cumulative effect.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mawp!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote:Mawp!
:clap:
Hodor.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Isgrimnur wrote:Mawp!
MAWG is a poker acronym (describing me -- middle-aged white guy). Despite my vibro-acoustics background I had to google MAWP. However, I knew that for a high-enough sound pressure level, there absolutely is a cumulative effect on hearing loss.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

NHL 2016-17 season

Post by Isgrimnur »

Las Vegas Golden Knights.

I'm sure the US Army Parachute Team is thrilled.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Isgrimnur wrote:Las Vegas Golden Knights.

I'm sure the US Army Parachute Team is thrilled.
What an incredibly stupid name.

I told my son the name and he immediately came up with better ideas (and he's 13).

Las Vegas Gamblers or Jokers.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

They were not allowed to have a name even remotely tied to gambling. Try again.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
deucalion

Post by deucalion »

I guess we all have our ideas of what names they should have picked - for me simply using "Vegas Knights" would have been better. Perhaps they will simplify the name eventually to this anyway - kind of like the The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim did.

If they have to include a colour in the name then "Vegas Silver Knights" to me would be more appropriate and better sounding.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

The London Knights of the OHL had a legal case against LV using just Knights so that was quickly dismissed.

I'm not in love with Golden Knights but there are reason it came down the way it did. Yes, they will most likely be called the Knights before too long in short form but they may not legally be allowed to change their name until they compensate London or are given express permission (doubtful in either case).

So anything gambling is out, Knights by itself is out. You're drawing from a smaller and smaller pool.
Foley's original preferred name for the proposed team was the "Las Vegas Black Knights"—named in tribute to the Army Black Knights, his alma mater.[15] When he hired McPhee, Foley stated that he was working with the league to determine a suitable brand for the team, but that "it may not be until September that we have our name and logo. But when we do, that's when we'll have our big public celebration. We want to sell a lot of jerseys that day." He also admitted that his preferred name of "Black Knights" was unlikely due to various legal issues with trademarks, copyrights and domain names. For instance, even if West Point officials gave their blessing to using the nickname, the federal government would have had the final say.[30] He did register a number of trademarks for potential names, some based on "Knights" and others based on "Hawks" (the latter unlikely as it would likely clash with the Chicago Blackhawks), admitting some of the trademarks were deliberate decoys.[31]

The team name, logo, and colors were unveiled on November 22, 2016.[32][33] On October 4, 2016, Foley announced that the team will be known as either the Desert Knights, Silver Knights, or Golden Knights. He told Yahoo! Sports that his group already has "clearance on those names," and made their final decision in late August.[34]

On November 22, 2016 the name was revealed as the Vegas Golden Knights, excluding 'Las' from the name. The team's logo (as well as its secondary logo and word mark) was also revealed.[35]
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"VGK" will make for cool hats though.

Put it off to the side, so you can wear it askew...awesome.

Let the feast commence!
ESPN wrote:Teams can either protect 7-3-1 (seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie) or eight skaters and a goalie. Teams also must expose a minimum of four players (two forwards, one defenseman, one goalie) who meet the games-played and contractual requirement.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

With the Vegas "V" in the neutral space.

A rather high-strung poster on Kulka's Korner had this response:
Primis wrote:That is not a knight’s helm. That looks more like a Corinthian helmet that a hoplite would have worn in B.C. Greece (just minus the plume). And if they’re trying to say that the Golden part is supposed to imply this type of helmet, they were made of bronze, not rare and valuable gold.

A traditional knight’s helm would feature a visor (which often protrudes out to from a point).

The only times the Corinthian style helmet is used to refer to a “knight” tends to be in really bad swords and sorcery fantasy, or bad video game-y kind of schlock.

The name sucks. The logo sucks and doesn’t even represent the name. The color scheme sucks. The entire market is going to suck. The on-ice product will suck.

Bang up job all around, NHL.
I tend to miss OO quite a bit when I peruse sports discussions elsewhere...
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Jesus

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

He ain't wrong, though.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

I would have gone with 'Las Vegas Nights'. Gets them the name they really wanted (Knights) without he legal headaches and is a nice allusion to the Vegas nightlife. Works on both levels. Could still do the black and gold colour scheme (the strip at night, etc).
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

J.D. wrote:I would have gone with 'Las Vegas Nights'. Gets them the name they really wanted (Knights) without he legal headaches and is a nice allusion to the Vegas nightlife. Works on both levels. Could still do the black and gold colour scheme (the strip at night, etc).
Also makes them less of a bitch to the LA Kings. (That's for you, biyobi.)
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

The Meal wrote:
J.D. wrote:I would have gone with 'Las Vegas Nights'. Gets them the name they really wanted (Knights) without he legal headaches and is a nice allusion to the Vegas nightlife. Works on both levels. Could still do the black and gold colour scheme (the strip at night, etc).
Also makes them less of a bitch to the LA Kings. (That's for you, biyobi.)
:wink: Leave them as the Knights. We could use a bitch, especially since they took my annual pre-season trip to Vegas away. :cry:

Like the logo though.
Black Lives Matter
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

The Flyers stadium series unis. Those are pretty sexy.
Black Lives Matter
deucalion

Post by deucalion »

Looks like your very good idea might be back into play - Las Vegas Golden Knights might be blocked as a name - if Sisters of Saint Joseph of Carondelet decide to defend their trademark...

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/col ... en-knights
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

So that made up for the Lumbus game.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jolor

Post by Jolor »

#it'sabeautifulday
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

NHL names Greatest 100 players of all time.

Good to see my favourite player of all time make the list ...Yvan Cournoyer! Surprised at some others but I'm sure there will be some mixed reactions.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rather amazing Iginla and Thornton didn't make it, while younger players like Toews/Keith/Kane all did.
Hodor.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Nine.

Nine Red Wings from the 2002 team made the top-100 list. (Compares to eight from some of the Montreal teams of earlier eras.) As a fan of the team we always heard about how many Hall of Famers were on that list but the HOF is a less-selective class than the top-100 list. (Though probably has more thought and checks-and-balances in its selections than this list.)

[edit] Oh, and twenty-eight. Though that includes some like Doug Harvey who had all of a two-game stint with the Wings.
Last edited by The Meal on Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

pr0ner wrote:Rather amazing Iginla and Thornton didn't make it, while younger players like Toews/Keith/Kane all did.
Yeah, that's a tough spot to be in for picking players. To some extent you have to project the younger players (but can't project *too* far, otherwise you have to consider McJesus and Laine and the like) vs. established vets.

There's always going to be some hard cuts. With the NHL's reveal of their top-100, other folks are putting out ranked lists of their personal top-100s and when you look at those lists, you tend to (well, I tend to) agree with the top 20 or so, but then 21 on down start to muddle together. Ranking say numbers 80 through 150 gets to be pretty darn arbitrary (as would be expected by anyone with understanding of a normal distribution). And that's not even considering what exactly would comprise the metrics by which these humans would be measured against. Athleticism, performance, character, team-results, even-strength Fenwick against vs. PDO chart in the 3rd period of a 1-goal game, etc.

Of the five players you mention, I'd be most likely to put Iginla ahead of the other four: Iginla > Keith > Toews > Thornton > Kane (for me). Obviously others can and do disagree.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I wonder who from this year's All Star roster will make their way to the top 100 within, say, 10 years.

Thinking:

McDavid, Matthews, Karlsson & Price bumping Sundin, Horton, Lindros & Denis Savard.

What an impossible task if they do, indeed, 'reset' the top 100 10 years from now.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ken Hitchcock out
Mike Yeo's tenure as the head coach of the St. Louis Blues will begin earlier than expected.

On Wednesday morning, Blues General Manager Doug Armstrong announced that Ken Hitchcock has been relieved of his duties as head coach. Yeo, who was hired last summer as the team's associate coach and was to take over as head coach of the Blues next season, was promoted effective immediately.

The decision comes as the Blues have lost five of their last six games and finished 5-8 during the month of January. With a 5-3 loss to the Winnipeg Jets at home on Tuesday night, the Blues find themselves in the final Wild Card position in the Western Conference.

Hitchcock served as the head coach of the Blues since Nov. 8, 2011. Over six seasons, he led the Blues to a 248-124-41 regular season record and ranks second on the Blues' all-time regular season wins list and fourth in NHL history overall with 781 career regular season wins.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The first place Montreal Canadiens fired Michel Therrien today to hire Claude Julien.

The last time I can remember a first place team firing their coach during the season? The Devils, who fired Julien 3 games before the 2007 playoffs kicked off.
Hodor.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Habs nation is a happy place tonight.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Enlarge Image
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The Meal wrote:Enlarge Image
Stevie Y summed him up great.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/st ... on-my-life
"Mr. Ilitch has left an incredible legacy in baseball, hockey and Metropolitan Detroit. He will forever be remembered for all the ways he enriched our lives. Mike Ilitch will live on vividly in my mind and heart forever."
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Jolor

Post by Jolor »

So, fans. Happy with your team's trade deadline moves?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Happy to have Oduya back.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Zaxxon wrote:Happy to have Oduya back.
Great depth if not more for next to nothing. Have to concur.