OO Anniversary check-in

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Chaosraven

Re: OO Anniversary check-in

Post by Chaosraven »

Daehawk wrote:So now you're a 20 something girl?
Grab me by the punani.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis

Post by Default »

I'm here for the free donuts.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
mori

Post by mori »

I post semi regularly but mostly in the PC gaming or boozing sections of OO. I was in GG participating in the racing leagues (cheers Tim Maynard if you read this) and then came here by word of mouth. I was around for the Fucktard Ridge episode and went to Bovine Conspiracy for awhile since all my racing buddies went there. But that never took off and came back here. I fondly remember playing UT2004 with the group here and I believe TheMissingLink had a video montage he made of us gibbing each other with music by Mazzy Star :) . I would like to see that again.

Also a forum member helped me get a great deal on a new car back in 2005 that I still drive today.
wire

Post by wire »

I joined the GG forum on 6/1/2000 as RobbieD and posted occasionally there and on here over the years. I've met a few forum members and was part of the early Wanderers guild, prior even to that incarnation which started on DAoC and folded when the original leader just up and quit. I check in now a couple of times a month, maybe post a photo in the photo thread or post in a game thread. It's nice knowing that this place is still here and I can come back when I feel up to participating.
Holman

Post by Holman »

wire wrote:I joined the GG forum on 6/1/2000 as RobbieD and posted occasionally there and on here over the years. I've met a few forum members and was part of the early Wanderers guild, prior even to that incarnation which started on DAoC and folded when the original leader just up and quit. I check in now a couple of times a month, maybe post a photo in the photo thread or post in a game thread. It's nice knowing that this place is still here and I can come back when I feel up to participating.
I just explained your avatar to my kids (who have recently become aware of GoT). They think it's hilarious.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think the only thing that stands out to me these days as a OO thing is the Christmas gifting stuff. I enjoy that when I can do it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Kraken wrote:
Kelric wrote:Pad.
Dude, when I met you you were an Impressions groupie and you weren't old enough to buy a legal beer. I didn't know if you were a fan or a stalker because I'd never had either before. :wink:
Caesar 3 still gets fired up once a year or so. :horse:
DD*

Post by DD* »

Kelric wrote:
Kraken wrote:
Kelric wrote:Pad.
Dude, when I met you you were an Impressions groupie and you weren't old enough to buy a legal beer. I didn't know if you were a fan or a stalker because I'd never had either before. :wink:
Caesar 3 still gets fired up once a year or so. :horse:
"Plebs are needed!"

(or is that the wrong game? I get so confused these days...)
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I found GG when looking for a release date on a game (forget now what it was, Diablo2? MOO3?). Read the gaming forums once in a while, discovered the WH40K DOW 1 open beta and joined peeps playing that. Much fun! (Still love that game).

Eventually found OO after the collapse and eventually wandered out of PC gaming forum briefly to discover there's a lot more going on. Still mostly come for PC gaming (and Gaming in General for boards game in the last year or so). Periodically pipe up in this area and other places. Not a particularly active poster unless there's a game I'm involved in.

Planning to trek to Octocon in a couple weeks to meet some of you. Or find out if my wife's concern that these strangers on the internet are a dangerous bunch of lunatics "Are you sure it's safe to go meet up with a bunch of people from the internet?"

The funny part of that sentiment being that we met on AOL, she actually lived in another state and we met up IRL.

Did lead me to the amusing thought that there really is only a handful of people, and every time you meet someone new IRL, they either join the murder club or get murdered, with the club taking over their internet ID's and continuing to post so no one knows they are dead. :ninja:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Just don't let them show you the "secret" handshake.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Jaymann wrote:Just don't let them show you the "secret" handshake.
Look man, I've been telling you for over 10 years now. Let go of my fucking penis.
Rip

Post by Rip »

How many penises(penii) do you have?

edit: and what are the other ones for?
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

Been around since the old GG days and fondly remember debating Quinn with RM9 and others. I still post from time to time but I mostly lurk and read these days.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

It would be interesting to me to explore Quinn, what? Almost 10 years on? I'd be curious to see where I stood, where the evidence stands (trend lines anyway), etc.

I'd be curious to go back through the old threads and maybe dig up some potentially interesting topics to discuss again.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

RunningMn9 wrote:It would be interesting to me to explore Quinn, what? Almost 10 years on?
This tractor is nearly ready to be stably in flight. Just a little more speed. I believe growing cubic watermelons en masse in skyscrapers with be the air beneath our wheels.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

:)
Make up bags of change
Aliasbuck

Post by Aliasbuck »

Nothing to see here. There is not another Floridian still here. Move along. :ninja:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

RunningMn9 wrote:It would be interesting to me to explore Quinn, what? Almost 10 years on? I'd be curious to see where I stood, where the evidence stands (trend lines anyway), etc.

I'd be curious to go back through the old threads and maybe dig up some potentially interesting topics to discuss again.
I'd go for that, although I suspect that the thread would inevitably get banished to R&P and crapped upon by the usual suspects. One can't discuss Big Topics for long without wandering into politics and/or religion.

I am no longer the optimist that I was back then, so we wouldn't have that dynamic anymore.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Kraken wrote:I am no longer the optimist that I was back then, so we wouldn't have that dynamic anymore.
Ironically I think I'm less of a pessimist these days, so we could try that dynamic. Give me a few days to see if anything looks particularly interesting.

I'm also a lot less argumentative these days, so maybe that will make it less intimidating for others. ;)
Make up bags of change
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Kraken wrote:I am no longer the optimist that I was back then, so we wouldn't have that dynamic anymore.
Ironically I think I'm less of a pessimist these days, so we could try that dynamic. Give me a few days to see if anything looks particularly interesting.

I'm also a lot less argumentative these days, so maybe that will make it less intimidating for others. ;)
Then on some level we might be arguing with our past selves as much as with one another. That could be interesting, if only to us! :o
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote:Then on some level we might be arguing with our past selves as much as with one another. That could be interesting, if only to us! :o
My current self has grown more callous. I still recycle and try to be a minute forgotten footprint on the earth. I still sense and feel the quiet desperation but now my now pain and anxiety and a house and neighbors with vicious pitbulls trying to jump the fence just keep my nose to the grindstone, dreaming of retirement. The necessity of leading by example isn't as important as it was. As example, I will likely won't drive my current econbox until dies and replace it with another econobox. If I get enough money saved before my car dies, I will upgrading to something comfortable. Gas mileage concerns won't be a micro level solution to a macro level problem. They will be a pragmatic concern of "How much will this cost me over the lifetime of the car." I admit defeat and have been inching my way toward the nihilist approach to man's relation to earth.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Somebody earlier said something that really stopped me. I've been on these boards (including GG) for about as long as I was in K-12 and college. Damn.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote:
Kraken wrote:Then on some level we might be arguing with our past selves as much as with one another. That could be interesting, if only to us! :o
My current self has grown more callous. I still recycle and try to be a minute forgotten footprint on the earth. I still sense and feel the quiet desperation but now my now pain and anxiety and a house and neighbors with vicious pitbulls trying to jump the fence just keep my nose to the grindstone, dreaming of retirement. The necessity of leading by example isn't as important as it was. As example, I will likely won't drive my current econbox until dies and replace it with another econobox. If I get enough money saved before my car dies, I will upgrading to something comfortable. Gas mileage concerns won't be a micro level solution to a macro level problem. They will be a pragmatic concern of "How much will this cost me over the lifetime of the car." I admit defeat and have been inching my way toward the nihilist approach to man's relation to earth.
Once you make the decision to drive (vs not-drive), the choice of car is tangential, especially if it's going to be a gas burner. A few mpg one way or the other is trivial, environmentally speaking. Opting for a hybrid or an EV would be more benign, but still not as good as not-driving. If you live someplace where not-driving isn't an option, that's another choice.

I hope to buy a new car within the next year -- possibly the last one I'll ever own -- and it will be a gas burner, and fuel efficiency will be a minor consideration. I don't need to drive and we certainly don't need two cars, but you can't take the Michigander out of me. I like to drive and I want a fun car.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote:Once you make the decision to drive (vs not-drive), the choice of car is tangential, especially if it's going to be a gas burner. A few mpg one way or the other is trivial, environmentally speaking. Opting for a hybrid or an EV would be more benign, but still not as good as not-driving. If you live someplace where not-driving isn't an option, that's another choice.

I dunno, a typical gas burning econbox gets up to 40mpg. If I break toward a small CUV with a wide wheelbase and higher center of gravity, I'm likely to be around 20mpg, 25mpg at the top end. Hybrids will likely be economically unfeasible breaking down the cost over the lifetime of the car.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Now a days I don't worry about the life time of a car. It's going to be longer than me. :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote:Now a days I don't worry about the life time of a car. It's going to be longer than me. :?
That's why I said my next car might be my last one. I'll be 60, and since I don't drive much I should be able to keep it for up to 15 years. By then, we'll probably all be summoning robot cars. Even if I'm still alive, I doubt that I'll buy another one then.

'Course, if I buy another Miata I might end up too creaky to fold myself into it before the car wears out, so I might need to trade it for something more elder-friendly at some point. Depends on if those robot cars are ready by the time my body wears out.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My mom bought a new car about a year before she died. She wished she had kept her driver's license so she could at least drive it once.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This thread is taking a turn for the supremely depressing.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just stay out of your car and you'll be okay.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

Daehawk wrote:Reading all these replies gives me a mental image of a bunch of old farts sitting in a room talking and its filled with old modems and hardware and spiderwebs. Theres a door that if we opened it would let light shine in on us and there would be a giant futuristic city out there with flying cars and such :)

I'd buy that T-shirt!
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Trent Steel wrote:I miss the days of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band battles.
The last thing I was good at.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Infrequent poster from GG, had most of my posts here in Robo Rally threads under Forum Games, then returned to infrequent posts...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Fretmute wrote:
Trent Steel wrote:I miss the days of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band battles.
The last thing I was good at.
Then you may be pleased by what I'm planning in a few weeks. :ninja:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Found Gone Gold while looking for a release date on a game. Lurked the front page. E-mailed with Rich a few times about manuals (back when games came with dead trees and ancient hieroglyphics) before he convinced me to join the forums (April-ish, 2000). I worked my way up to moderator there and helped get OO up and running. Given my lack of "free time", I'm glad this place doesn't need much in the way of constant attention to keep it going.

I wish Rich would stop by and say "hi". It would be nice to know he's still out there and that he knows we're still in here.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Is there anyone on here who actually met Rich?
Found this Facebook profile. He has a couple of NYPD friends, along with some family members whose names look familiar.

https://www.facebook.com/itslaporte
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I figure it sounded like he didn't want to be found, so I let him slip away. It's too bad, he brought so many of us together and was such a great glue for the time he let himself be the center of computer gaming for us. Vacarious lift testing. Never finishing our huge game of SEIV. Always replying to personal chats but never getting involved in politics of a forum that was probably an afterthought.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

And just to pad my post count, I was on the Wayback Machine and found this Roll Call from the Derek Smart era:
Derek,

Please contact your lawyers and have them sue Gone Gold. My address is listed below and you have my other information from my sig in my e-mails. Feel free to bully us as much as you like, but know I will publicly post everything you send to me, just to aggravate you.

Try this on for size... Your dog is more fun to play with than any game you'll ever create.

Thanks,
Rich
Rip

Post by Rip »

Bakhtosh wrote:Is there anyone on here who actually met Rich?
Found this Facebook profile. He has a couple of NYPD friends, along with some family members whose names look familiar.

:D

Did you look at favorites:other?

Indianapolis Colts, Sookie Stackhouse, The Church of Bob Ross, Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale, Hofstra Law, Logic Artists, HealthyWage, Hamilton County FOP 103 Indiana, Viper Aquatics, Spot Bar, Sheriff David Clarke Jr. The People's Sheriff, NYPD, Donald J. Trump, Dana Carvey, Fantastic things in the worldand more
I could really use him back on my team as I am currently heavily outnumbered.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Bakhtosh wrote:Is there anyone on here who actually met Rich?

Wasn't his wife named Mary Jo?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"