OO Anniversary check-in

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Re: OO Anniversary check-in

Post by Bakhtosh »

Yeah, it's definitely him. I sent him a FB message, but not a friend request. He seemed to want his privacy, so it was more of a "just wanted to let you know we're still here" type thing. I'll report back if he replies.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Just a new recruit in this land of hope and glory.

I knew I was new compared to you guys but I'm still surprised to find that my oldest post is from 2007. I thought I had been around longer than that!
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I've only been here since 2005 and I'm not exactly one of the old-timers but OO has been my forum home for 11 years now. Happy Anniversary! It used to be a somewhat livelier place and has dropped off over the past few years which makes me a little sad. But it's still home.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Bakhtosh wrote:Yeah, it's definitely him. I sent him a FB message, but not a friend request. He seemed to want his privacy, so it was more of a "just wanted to let you know we're still here" type thing. I'll report back if he replies.
I met him back in the day, and that is certainly him. I've seen him online before (I don't recall where), but my impression, after GG, was that he wanted his privacy. With the crap that he went through, I never blamed him for that and just decided to let things go. Perhaps he'll find this thread and register. He'd be welcome as far as I'm concerned.

I'm just glad to see he's OK.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

He registered here a long time ago. With a year of our founding I believe, and had his say.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I got a reply from Rich:
Thank you for the kind thoughts. I'm glad there's some part of Gone Gold that is still around. I look back on that time in my life fondly, before I got so sick. It was a very tough journey afterwards and knowing I disappointed so many people didn't help.
At the moment, I am computerless believe it or not, but the Holidays are right around the corner. I'm playing my games on consoles and handhelds at the moment. Just got the remastered Skyrim that I plan on taking me through the winter. As a break from that, Dragon Quest Builders is a great game too.
Thanks again for thinking of me and please give my regards to anyone that still remembers me fondly as well, no matter how few there may be.
God Bless and Safe Tour, Rich LaPorte
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Trent Steel wrote:I miss the days of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band battles.
Seriously, those were so damn much fun.

And Fretmute made every one of us look silly. :cry:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Bakhtosh wrote:I got a reply from Rich:
Thank you for the kind thoughts. I'm glad there's some part of Gone Gold that is still around. I look back on that time in my life fondly, before I got so sick. It was a very tough journey afterwards and knowing I disappointed so many people didn't help.
At the moment, I am computerless believe it or not, but the Holidays are right around the corner. I'm playing my games on consoles and handhelds at the moment. Just got the remastered Skyrim that I plan on taking me through the winter. As a break from that, Dragon Quest Builders is a great game too.
Thanks again for thinking of me and please give my regards to anyone that still remembers me fondly as well, no matter how few there may be.
Thanks, warms my heart to know he is well.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh wow, that's great - thanks for posting the update. Glad to hear he's well...and still gaming. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Good to see a few words from our former fearless leader. His little website grew to impact hundreds of us in some important ways.
Kraken wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:
Kraken wrote:I am no longer the optimist that I was back then, so we wouldn't have that dynamic anymore.
Ironically I think I'm less of a pessimist these days, so we could try that dynamic. Give me a few days to see if anything looks particularly interesting.

I'm also a lot less argumentative these days, so maybe that will make it less intimidating for others. ;)
Then on some level we might be arguing with our past selves as much as with one another. That could be interesting, if only to us! :o
I'm probably roughly the same. I guess I know more words now, communicate them more poorly thanks to less sleep, plus I am sure that I tend to think slightly differently since I have to take a kid into consideration, but I'm still on the side of humans fuck stuff up and we need to and maybe will but probably won't make them better. I guess it depends how much beer I had when responding to RM9's novels back then and how much beer I have now.

On the car discussion and LM saying he feels less like leading by example;

I'm hoping the next car is electric, or at least a hybrid. We get 95% of our meat from local farmers who use good practices and treat their animals well (but of course animals take up a lot more acreage than veggies) and most of our summer fruit and vegetables are local, but we're pretty bad about eating that nicely in the spring and winter. We compost about 2/3rds of our veg and fruit scraps, but have a small garden. My lawn mower is sadly powered by gasoline and we have a decent sized lawn, but are converting some of it to a wild-ish garden. We tend to buy used furniture and not a lot of clothes, but a lot of Legos (plastic everywhere!). My town recycles and owns the power plant so my energy costs are low. I'm hoping the next house can get some solar panels (the neighbor has a giant tree that blocks my roof just enough to make it a hassle and as we have our own power plant they won't buy energy back to the grid from me). We live a moderately consumptive lifestyle compared to the rest of the world but I like to think that we're in the bottom tier of American wastefulness (except for the minimalists, as I could never convince my wife to go that route).
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Smoove_B wrote:Oh wow, that's great - thanks for posting the update. Glad to hear he's well...and still gaming. :D
Ditto. I was not really involved much in GG forums much (I was there oddly enough for the release date information, odd, I know :p ). But he seemed like a good guy who provided a lot to the gaming world for a while. Good to know he's still gaming given what a huge part of his life that was during that time at least.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Odd he would be without a computer these days. How does one survive without one? I'd just curl up into a ball until I could get another.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kelric wrote:Good to see a few words from our former fearless leader. His little website grew to impact hundreds of us in some important ways.
Kraken wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:
Kraken wrote:I am no longer the optimist that I was back then, so we wouldn't have that dynamic anymore.
Ironically I think I'm less of a pessimist these days, so we could try that dynamic. Give me a few days to see if anything looks particularly interesting.

I'm also a lot less argumentative these days, so maybe that will make it less intimidating for others. ;)
Then on some level we might be arguing with our past selves as much as with one another. That could be interesting, if only to us! :o
I'm still on the side of humans fuck stuff up and we need to and maybe will but probably won't make them better.
I am less inclined to believe (although I still hope) that the science got us into this mess is going to get us out. Global warming is a much bigger threat now than it seemed back in the day.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Thank you for sharing with us. Can't believe he doesn't have a PC, but I'm not surprised to hear that he's found a way to keep gaming. :lol:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm just glad Rich is better. If you've been away from the PC for awhile, I expect it would be hard to get back in. I'm rebuilding a server PC for my kids to refresh my knowledge.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The Meal wrote:
Thank you for sharing with us.
+1. I'd have never imposed but it's nice to have a heartfelt response and know that he's keeping on and not a bitter human being.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zarathud wrote:I'm just glad Rich is better. If you've been away from the PC for awhile, I expect it would be hard to get back in. I'm rebuilding a server PC for my kids to refresh my knowledge.
One could also just buy a laptop for about $250 (or less, if a used one off Fleabay would do).
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Thanks a lot for doing that, Bakhtosh. Really nice to hear an update.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote:
Bakhtosh wrote:Yeah, it's definitely him. I sent him a FB message, but not a friend request. He seemed to want his privacy, so it was more of a "just wanted to let you know we're still here" type thing. I'll report back if he replies.
I met him back in the day, and that is certainly him. I've seen him online before (I don't recall where), but my impression, after GG, was that he wanted his privacy. With the crap that he went through, I never blamed him for that and just decided to let things go. Perhaps he'll find this thread and register. He'd be welcome as far as I'm concerned.

I'm just glad to see he's OK.
Ditto.

Also, thanks, Bakhtosh.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Thanks for writing to him. Excellent he replied.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks so much for that update. It's good to hear from him again, even if by proxy.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Wow, Rich looks great in that facebook picture. I'm glad to hear he is doing okay. Thanks for posting that update.

While I'm at it, I'll just add that I was on GG around 98 or 99 (can't recall). I still lurk here occasionally, but not as much as I used to. Life, even life online, can take you on so many different journeys. I'm still happy when one of those journeys leads me back here, if only for a moment or two.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Who are you people again?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
RMC

Post by RMC »

I have been around since the GG days, but more of a lurker there, and still more of a lurker here. I do play WW games, so that crew knows me, and I have gone to a few Octocons, so I have met some of the Chicago and Detroit crews. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Check this Gone Gold page I found. I got a chuckle at the Baldurs Gate 2 demo thats 640 megs and it was a worry to download. lol.

https://web.archive.org/web/20001109023 ... egold.com/
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I read GG but never registered, my 2 main hangouts were here and the Championship Manager (Soccer) forums.

I have never been a prolific poster anywhere but still read here daily.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:Check this Gone Gold page I found. I got a chuckle at the Baldurs Gate 2 demo thats 640 megs and it was a worry to download. lol.

https://web.archive.org/web/20001109023 ... egold.com/
The linked review for Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force uses the fact that it is a shooter and not too complex to suggest that the game's manual being only 57 pages long shouldn't be held against it.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

As someone recruited by Rich to serve on the GG staff, I know he didn't owe me a response of any kind, but I did feel a little emboldened to try.

I was honestly happy to find him alive, standing, and seemingly well...at least better. Hearing back from him was a treat.

I'm actually without a PC right now too. My surge suppressor/UPS died. I bought a new one and some upgrade components, and need to rearrange my desk area, but life has intervened to kick my ass. I'm trying to manage a household by myself, stay heavily involved in my daughters' lives even though they don't stay here half the time, prepare for the real possibility of a divorce, work my way towards getting my Professional Engineer license, try to not lose my job because I'm too stressed out to sleep some nights, and still have time to indulge my favorite hobby...the iPad makes it easier to fit gaming into my life.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through such difficult times. Try to keep your head up. And if the insomnia gets too bad, seek medical assistance.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blackhawk wrote:When I finally got the internet, I went to check out his site. I have no idea what motivated me, but I decided to join the forum. I'd never participated in a forum before (although I'd spent plenty of time on newsgroups.) The Gonegolders Project says I joined on June 28, 2001.
Funny - I can't find myself on there, yet I know that I was posting on GG prior to the pulling of the plug and the exodus to GT/OO/BC/Popehat/Qt3.

I remember Andy always posting that his game of the month was Dominions, and since Dominions 4 came out, it's got 3-4 times as many hours as any other game in my Steam library.

I remember Eli before he was a 1.0 version. He's 15.x now - holy smokes! It's been fun to watch Bill Harris continue to post about him (as well as becoming a game developer - congrats Bill!).

I remember being afraid to venture into P&R, but finally being drawn in around the Bush v. Gore election. I still have one of GuidoTKP's posts about abortion saved, as it made (and still makes) so much sense to me. RM9 was a beast with his multiple quote stacks/replies back in the day.

I remember Mr Fed and Tareeq with their finely developed sense of snark.

I remember the plug getting pulled and feeling like I'd lost a friend. Then having to decide which forum to go to. I'm glad I ended up here, though I still post @ GT (then CG) every now and then

I'm glad for the opportunities I've had to meet up with other OO'ers, as well as game with them - we had some great Dominions games, Solium Infernum games, and I even got in on some Guild Wars and others. Also did most of my xBox gaming with OO'ers and GT'ers - had some fun games of Catan, and some good times with Philly PeteRock. I don't get as much MP gaming in as I'd like, but our gaming time availability has definitely changed over the years.

I remember The Meal and his poker games (and all the new emoticons for the cards), the aborted attempts at Arkham Horror by forum, and skipping over all of the werewolf games.

I remember being atop the list of ThreadKillers when it first came out. I guess I just had the knack for getting a last word in, or so discouraging other OO'er from posting ;).

I'm looking forward to making an OO get-together one of these days, but they always seem to be in Chicago - how about a West Coast/Vegas one one of these days?

I still love our corner of the internet. Thanks OO'ers for almost 20 wonderful years! Looking forward to the next 20!

and PS - who can forget the greatest OO'er of all time :grund: U2k...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Pyperkub wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:When I finally got the internet, I went to check out his site. I have no idea what motivated me, but I decided to join the forum. I'd never participated in a forum before (although I'd spent plenty of time on newsgroups.) The Gonegolders Project says I joined on June 28, 2001.
Funny - I can't find myself on there, yet I know that I was posting on GG prior to the pulling of the plug and the exodus to GT/OO/BC/Popehat/Qt3.
Ditto. I started out slow because I was representing my company, but gradually busted out of the PC Games forum and became more prolific. In fact, I know that I joined on Halloween 1999.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote:I'm looking forward to making an OO get-together one of these days, but they always seem to be in Chicago - how about a West Coast/Vegas one one of these days?
I wish I had the time and energy to another OO Vegas style. Mentally, I'm ready to go back and even bring some money with me this time. Time and oomph are not friendly to me though.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I just noticed the update. It's great to hear from the Chief Knucklehead!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thirteen years...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The overlord is a teenager now! Expect lots of sulking.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:43 pm The overlord is a teenager now! Expect lots of sulking.
and :roll:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Moliere wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:51 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:43 pm The overlord is a teenager now! Expect lots of sulking.
and :roll:
and :obscene-smokingsombrero:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

More than we already get?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Rip wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:53 pm
Bakhtosh wrote:Is there anyone on here who actually met Rich?
Found this Facebook profile. He has a couple of NYPD friends, along with some family members whose names look familiar.

https://www.facebook.com/itslaporte
:D

Did you look at favorites:other?

Indianapolis Colts, Sookie Stackhouse, The Church of Bob Ross, Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale, Hofstra Law, Logic Artists, HealthyWage, Hamilton County FOP 103 Indiana, Viper Aquatics, Spot Bar, Sheriff David Clarke Jr. The People's Sheriff, NYPD, Donald J. Trump, Dana Carvey, Fantastic things in the worldand more
I could really use him back on my team as I am currently heavily outnumbered.
Well, Dana Carvey hasn't done anything of note recently, so if that goes in the order they were added, it could have been from his Apprentice days ;)

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:10 pm
More than we already get?
Maybe we can learn to drive one of these days?