Twin Peaks 2017

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

nasai

Twin Peaks 2017

Post by nasai »

New trailer from Showtime

You have NO idea how excited I am.... especially when my friends called me this morning to tell me it was up. The producers have yet to make any clear comments about the series and they haven't shown any scenes, yet the ONE THING they put in the trailer, of actual action on set, features yours truly.

I'm famous. :ninja:
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
Jeff V

Re: Twin Peaks 2017

Post by Jeff V »

I went to Twin Peaks for lunch yesterday. The waitresses there must get paid by the tattoo.
Black Lives Matter
nasai

Post by nasai »

Different, but equally interesting. :mrgreen:
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Can't wait! Will be subscribing to Showtime just for this.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
nasai

Post by nasai »

Same here. Epic and life changing.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

nasai wrote:Different, but equally interesting. :mrgreen:
I was looking up sports bars in Indy to watch the game tomorrow night and Twin Peaks came up, not terribly far from my hotel.
Black Lives Matter
telcta

Post by telcta »

Time for this strange ride to continue. I understand David Lynch directed all 18 hours and there have been no previews made available (although there was a premiere party Friday night). Anyway, just signed up for Showtime and will be watching this Sunday night. Who's in?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm in....eventually. I'm still trying to catch up, as I never watched Twin Peaks originally. Just finished Season One. Love it so far, and we haven't even gotten to the crazy stuff yet.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I'm in, for sure.

TiVo recorded both previous seasons, and I meant to watch them first, but I'll just have to jump right in with the new stuff.

My wife was reminiscing about the first time we watched the show. It was on VHS, I bought the box set. It cost almost $100...

She remarked that until we re-watch them we'll have no real idea of what the show is supposed to look like since back then we watched it on a crappy TV. We had to leave the TV on all the time because the picture might not come back otherwise. We had to strategically place large chunks of concrete on top of the TV for the whole picture to come in and even then the colors were all off.

The things we used to put up with when we were young and poor!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wife loved the original. I liked the first season but drifted away after it turned weird for weirdness' sake. It was groundbreaking stuff in its day, but there's been an awful lot of innovative and edgy TV since then. Hard to imagine a new version having the same kind of impact.

Since it's on showtime I won't see it anyway. Maybe someday on dvd.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

I have to hold my hand up to block some of the TV screen bc of the backwardness. Never could handle things going backward, reverse film footage, even music... not soothing like a lullaby to me. Regardless, I did watch the 2 hour opening show (with my hand blocking the backward images) and was unnerved like Twin Peaks can do to the viewer. Nice job David, nice job... well done.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

For those of you that have watched Twin Peaks, you need to watch an episode of the series Psych, that was an homage to the original Twin Peaks, it was hilarious. It was called Dual Spires and reunited many of the cast members from the original show.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
nasai

Post by nasai »

I loved last night's premier. Weird, but enthralling. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Challenging stuff.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We watched most of the first 2 episodes last night. We probably should have waited as we were both tired and the slow opening was well slow. :lol: I'm not much for shows where you have to pay super attention so I doubt I'll make it through it. My wife is a super fan of the original so I'm sure she will.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It went from fun and quirky to unwatchable in pretty quick order. Episode 3 was the turning point. It's just freakin' awful at this point. Lynch has to be pranking everyone. I can see no other explanation. :?
He won. Period.
nasai

Post by nasai »

It's funny, because on the Twin Peaks forums, it's all "Episode 3 is when it finally started to feel like Twin Peaks again."

I'm good on all of it. I've watched each episode twice now and completely enjoy it. Quirks and all. I imagine it's pretty much for fanboys at this moment, but I'm a fanboy, so yeah... I'm good.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

hepcat wrote:It went from fun and quirky to unwatchable in pretty quick order. Episode 3 was the turning point. It's just freakin' awful at this point. Lynch has to be pranking everyone. I can see no other explanation.
It was better but yeah, so far this is missing just about everything I loved about the original including, mostly, the town of Twin Peaks.
nasai

Post by nasai »

Yesterday's episode seemed to bring a lot of the town back, including the music, and a closer feeling to the original. Still, we each have a "what Twin Peaks meant to me" feeling, so I imagine nobody will be completely cool with what is released, simply because we have had 25 years to be disappointed with any changes that don't fit into our ideal.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Exodor wrote:
hepcat wrote:It went from fun and quirky to unwatchable in pretty quick order. Episode 3 was the turning point. It's just freakin' awful at this point. Lynch has to be pranking everyone. I can see no other explanation.
It was better but yeah, so far this is missing just about everything I loved about the original including, mostly, the town of Twin Peaks.
My current theory is that it's deliberate. It's supposed to feel off, as if Cooper's absence has corrupted Twin Peaks in some way. These episodes have gradually reintroduced the old elements, with more and more scenes in Twin Peaks itself, and with more and more music. This coincides with Cooper gradually regaining his memory. I suspect we'll be back to something closer to the classic Twin Peaks style by mid-season.

David Lynch is the kind of director who's very deliberate with everything he does, even if it's not obvious to the audience. He knows what he's doing.
Insert witty comment here.
nasai

Post by nasai »

That's the truth.
nasai

Post by nasai »

So, I've watched 7 episodes so far and have really fallen in love with it, however (I have yet to see it, but) I hear episode 8 literally went BONZO crazy and half the people watching it swore it off forever. Without spoiling it, can anyone chime in thoughts on the show thus far?

Thanks!
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I've been enjoying the show, but I think:

1. Cooper needs to snap out of it soon. I get that he's traumatized (either his time in the Black Lodge and/or the means by which he got out) and seeing him bumble around was fun to watch, for an episode or two. Now it's just ridiculous. He had that moment in ep7 that's hopefully a sign it's coming.

2. I've found I like Lynch being Lynch... in small bites. That slow pan to the blackened man in the jail cell just staring at the screen, or even that minute or two that was just a guy sweeping the floor of the bar for what seemed like nothing. Things like that. Ep8 was just too much all at once.
nasai

Post by nasai »

Watched Part 8 and discovered the new 2001. Basically, that's the first time someone ever went that far off the rails on TV. ...and when I say off the rails, I mean in the BEST way possible. Challenging. Symbolic. Epic.

LOVED IT. Can't wait to see where it goes next, but I can say this much about the Trinity explosion:
Spoiler:
Trinity =

Father
Son
Holy Ghost

Or....

Experiment
BOB
The Woodsman
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Daveman wrote:1. Cooper needs to snap out of it soon. I get that he's traumatized (either his time in the Black Lodge and/or the means by which he got out) and seeing him bumble around was fun to watch, for an episode or two. Now it's just ridiculous. He had that moment in ep7 that's hopefully a sign it's coming.
You might want to prepare yourself for disappointment. This being Lynch, there's absolutely no guarantee that we'll ever get the old Cooper back. Reviewers seem to be gradually accepting this.
nasai wrote:Watched Part 8 and discovered the new 2001. Basically, that's the first time someone ever went that far off the rails on TV. ...and when I say off the rails, I mean in the BEST way possible. Challenging. Symbolic. Epic.
"Historic" is a word I'd use. The third season of Twin Peaks is challenging traditional TV and charting a completely new course for the medium, just like the first two seasons did. It'll be interesting to see if other TV shows latch onto this and have the courage to veer off into territory typically associated with movies.
Insert witty comment here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, looks like I'll have to go back and watch episodes 5 through whatever was the latest. As I said, I thought it was needlessly obtuse (and not in a good, Lynch way...but in a meandering, felt like bad improv way). But if it makes up for it with later episodes as you folks are saying, I can forgive the earlier stuff.
He won. Period.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Did anyone else watch the whole season? Just finished it tonight and I have no idea what I watched this whole season. I haven't figured out if I actually liked it, but it was interesting enough to keep me watching. I think not finishing season 2 and not watching Fire Walk with Me probably didn't help my ability to follow what the hell was going on most of the time.
Black Lives Matter