Vaping news....old considering vaping thread.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Enough

Re: Vaping news....old considering vaping thread.

Post by Enough »

McNutt wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:19 pm I was mistaken and didn't mean it as a condemnation of your choice.

I've seen lots of flavors of tobacco, but I've never seen a bubble gum flavored one or a package of tobacco that looks like a box of cereal. That's why I was thinking that it was intentionally targeting kids.

Every adult vaper I personally know used it as a substitute for their smoking habit. There is no shame in being a vaper, even if it is just because you want to vape, just as there is no shame in jumping with a wingsuit.
No worries, I was probably too defensive in trying to get out the word that adults go nuts for the flavors as well. Apologies for that!
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Enough

Post by Enough »

Z-Corn wrote:I think everybody who vapes should post a pic of their vaping rig!
Not sure if serious, but here you go lol:

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Paranormal?

You running custom firmware on that?
Enough

Post by Enough »

Z-Corn wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:49 pm Paranormal?

Yep, I got it fairly recently. I like the replay setting and for SS 316L temp control I am trying Jaquith's v4 profile and liking it. I am by no means a hardcore modder but really am pleased with the performance of this rig.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

*Slowly, humbly backs out of thread...*
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Enough wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:17 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:49 pm Paranormal?

Yep, I got it fairly recently. I like the replay setting and for SS 316L temp control I am trying Jaquith's v4 profile and liking it. I am by no means a hardcore modder but really am pleased with the performance of this rig.
Yeah, that's a really nice mod. If you're gonna do it, do it with good equipment.

I haven't vaped in a while because I'm about to start looking for a job. This isn't my photo, and it's not my exact mod, but this is pretty much the rig I run when I vape. Oh, it's just for drugs...

Enough

Post by Enough »

Dynavap and Mighty are my friends for that. :ninja:

But if you know a good tank for vaping flower that would work with my rig I would be curious.

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I have always admired the Dynavap and I love the fact that that will be the vape that you can use after the apocalypse. I still might add one to my collection.

My mod is an older Joyetech Cuboid and I was using a Divine Tribe DC 2 atomizer on it for flower. It worked just OK. I like that it's completely rebuildable and ceramic but I never really got it totally dialed in to just vape and not slightly combust.

I pretty much just used my rig for concentrates and CBD isolate.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote:WaPo
State and federal health officials investigating mysterious lung illnesses linked to vaping have found the same chemical in samples of marijuana products used by people sickened in different parts of the country and who used different brands of products in recent weeks.

The chemical is an oil derived from vitamin E. Investigators at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration found the oil in cannabis products in samples collected from patients who fell ill across the United States. FDA officials shared that information with state health officials during a telephone briefing this week, according to several officials who took part in the call.

That same chemical was also found in nearly all cannabis samples from patients who fell ill in New York in recent weeks, a state health department spokeswoman said.

Vitamin E is found naturally in certain foods, such as canola oil, olive oil and almonds. The oil derived from the vitamin, known as vitamin E acetate, is commonly available as a nutritional supplement and is used in topical skin treatments. It is not known to cause harm when ingested as a vitamin supplement or applied to the skin. Its name sounds harmless, experts said, but its molecular structure could make it hazardous when inhaled. Its oil-like properties could be associated with the kinds of respiratory symptoms that many patients have reported: cough, shortness of breath and chest pain, officials said.
Although the discovery of a common chemical in lab tests from the FDA and New York’s highly regarded Wadsworth Center lab offers a potential lead, officials cautioned that they are a long way from understanding what exactly is making so many people sick.
You crazy kids! Vitamins are better eaten then smoked! Next thing you know someone is going to vape a salmon and die from the Omega-3.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sorry to be a buzzkill while people are sharing their rigs, but there's been more deaths:
U.S. health officials on Friday again urged people to stop vaping until they figure out why some are coming down with serious breathing illnesses.

Officials have identified about 450 possible cases, including as many as five deaths, in 33 states. The count includes newly reported deaths in California, Indiana and Minnesota.
Info:
Recent attention has been focused on devices, liquids, refill pods and cartridges that are not sold in stores.

New York state has focused its investigation on an ingredient called Vitamin E acetate, which has been used to thicken marijuana vape juice but is considered dangerous if heated and inhaled. State investigators have found the substance in 13 cartridges collected from eight patients. In several cases, the ingredient made up more than half of the liquid in the cartridge.
And from my people:
The National Association of County and City Health Officials “has long been cautious about endorsing e-cigarettes even before the recent spate of illnesses, because little scientific evidence exists to show that e-cigarettes and other nicotine delivery devices are effective cessation devices,” spokeswoman Adriane Casalotti said in a statement.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bloomberg
President Donald Trump called vaping a “problem” and his health secretary said the government would force companies to remove flavored vaping products from the market after reports of hundreds of U.S. cases of a mysterious illness related to e-cigarette devices.
“We may very well have to do something very, very strong about it,” Trump said.

[Health and Human Services Secretary Alex] Azar said the FDA would soon issue regulatory guidance allowing the agency to remove flavored vaping products that are believed to appeal to children. Five million children are using e-cigarette products, Azar said, calling it an “alarming” trend.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Getting tired of the government telling me what I can do.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Help, help you're being repressed?

The man tells you what to do every day an in numerous ways. Flavor juice in eCigarettes is your red line in the sand?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He'd man the barricades, but he's a bit out of breath.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:19 pm Help, help you're being repressed?

The man tells you what to do every day an in numerous ways. Flavor juice in eCigarettes is your red line in the sand?
Based on his posting history I am going to guess he's been over the line for some time. But let's ban flavored alcoholic beverages and see what happens, heh.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

NY is the first to ban the sale of flavored eCigarettes:
The vote by the state Public Health and Health Planning Council means the ban, which covers all flavored cigarettes and other vaping products except for menthol and tobacco flavors, goes into effect immediately. Retailers will have two weeks to remove merchandise from store shelves.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, had proposed the emergency ban Sunday , citing surging use among young people.

According to data from the state health department, nearly 40% of high school seniors and 27% of high school students overall in the state use e-cigarettes. Use among high-school students went from 10.5% in 2014 to 27.4% in 2018.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Plz oh Government save the people from themselves. :roll:
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:01 am Plz oh Government save the people from themselves. :roll:
That's pretty much what it comes down to in a lot of areas. People, if left unattended, will make the worst decisions for themselves over and over. It's like playing Black & White, only without the ability to spank them.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Daehawk wrote:Plz oh Government save the people from themselves. :roll:
Save us all from paying for other people's bad decisions...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote:Plz oh Government save the people from themselves. :roll:
Want to try my new strychnine-laced raw milk energy drink?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I heard on the local news this morning that 1/4 of high school kids are using vaping.
Do you all think that is accurate?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:30 am I heard on the local news this morning that 1/4 of high school kids are using vaping.
Do you all think that is accurate?
Sure.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Not sure what "using" means. When I was in high school I smoked cigarettes on occasion. Did that mean I was "using" cigarettes? I would think that 1/4 of all high school students have vaped at least once.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:45 pm NY is the first to ban the sale of flavored eCigarettes:
the ban, which covers all flavored cigarettes and other vaping products except for menthol and tobacco flavors,
Big Menthol is at it again...
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

McNutt wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:57 pm Not sure what "using" means. When I was in high school I smoked cigarettes on occasion. Did that mean I was "using" cigarettes? I would think that 1/4 of all high school students have vaped at least once.
That's my bad. They just said vaping, not using.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Hill
Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker (R) on Tuesday announced a temporary ban on the sale of vape products, declaring a public health emergency over the series of illnesses and deaths across the country that have been linked to various forms of e-cigarettes.

The ban on the sale of flavored and non-flavored vaping products will take effect immediately and last through Jan. 25, according to a statement from Baker's office. It applies to all vaping products and devices, including tobacco and marijuana.

The statement said that 61 cases of vaping-associated pulmonary disease have been reported to the state's Department of Public Health.
Michigan and New York have banned the sale of flavored e-cigarettes.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

How is the calculus made on this? 88,000 people die due to alcohol per year. Is this just because vaping is easier to villify?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Cynical Smoove says it's because the vaping industry doesn't have the lobbyist dollars at state and federal levels protecting them.
Enough

Post by Enough »

We must appear to be doing something... Speaking of which I have been seeing articles saying that if Trump follows through on his flavor ban that it would cost him a some of his more fervent supporters.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:33 pmHow is the calculus made on this?
We're also getting more data:
The number of cases of vaping-related illnesses spiked sharply again this week as pressure mounts to uncover the cause of the mysterious symptoms.

There have been 805 confirmed and probable cases of lung injury linked with e-cigarette use across 46 states and the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Thursday. The case count marks a surge from the 530 cases reported last week, and the 380 cases reported the week prior. The agency also reported 12 deaths linked to the illnesses.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:33 pm How is the calculus made on this? 88,000 people die due to alcohol per year. Is this just because vaping is easier to villify?
It's a relatively new product without a long and significant cultural history. Alcohol is as old as bread and has a huge cultural connection (and lobby power, as already noted).

If Popeye's new chicken sandwiches had similar injury and fatality numbers as vaping, you can get it would be pulled by law, if not voluntarily.

Similarly, if alcohol had never previously existed you can bet it would have similar issues as a new product.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nearly 37,000 people died in the US alone in traffic accidents last year. Theres over 1 million per year worldwide and yet no one bans car sales.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:06 pm Nearly 37,000 people died in the US alone in traffic accidents last year. Theres over 1 million per year worldwide and yet no one bans car sales.
Yes, but we have standards. We have laminated windshields, seatbelts, airbags, etc.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So vaping needs more mods? :P

I was reading old articles on when malls and places starting banning smoking. I remember it well. I quit early 92 and in 93 and 94 they really ended it in public stores. I recall going to movies, malls, food places, even hospitals and smoking in them all. When my mom was dying of lung cancer they made her go outside to smoke with her iv and oxygen hooked up though. Me and my wife thought she was sure to blow us all up :P
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Science VS podcast on Vaping, and most of it is on the ones making people dangerously ill.

Summary:
Nearly all the sick folks were taking black market THC vapes.
3/4 of them had high levels of vitamin E acetate. Legit vapes do not use that oil. However, there are no studies to prove this is damaging; it's just suspected. Further research is ongoing.
100% of them had pesticides. On average there were 5 different pesticides. One of the fungicides, turns in to hydrogen cyanide when heated. When tested, this killed a rat.

Some were using flavors. Petri dish tests show Cinnamon flavor seems to damage cilia and immune cells. Vanilla inhibits immune cells. Banana had no effect. Diacytal (butter) is also suspected as toxic, but of course it depends on the dose.

Vaping has been out for 10 years. Why now? Isolated reports over that time.
More black market?
More black market crap?
Lots of other chemicals?
Combination of all the above?

Mysterious lung injury is super rare. 1600 out of 10,000,000.

Vaping is still way safer than smoking.
Black Lives Matter

Enough

Post by Enough »

I'm an American doctor. Here's the truth about Juul, vaping and legalizing marijuana

Fear-mongering does none of us any good. We need to talk about the actual evidence

Yet it is with great dismay that I’ve seen the medical community in both the mainstream press and on social media resort to fear-mongering and mob-like scapegoating when it comes to the nuanced complexities of the vaping epidemic in the United States. A UCSF Professor of Medicine and Director of the Center for Tobacco Control even tweeted that those who vape “would be better off just smoking.”

When doctors ignore actual evidence, we exploit our credibility as healers to promote our own agendas — which can ultimately cause great harm to patients.
I don't think we know for a fact that all the injuries are from vitamin E acetate. It makes more sense that it's from a combo of potential causes.
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services received results from testing vaping products from Michigan lung injury patients.

Patients were asked to provide any materials they have vaped for testing.

The FDA results from five patients in the state found:

Two patients' products contained only nicotine.
One patient's prodcuts contained only THC.
One patient's products contained both THC and nicotine.
One patient's products contained THC and vitamin E acetate. One product, a Dank Vape Birthday Cake THC shortage, contained 23 percent vitamin E acetate.

MDHHS says these results are the first confirmation that a Michigan lung injury patient was exposed to vitamin E acetate.

In addition, two vaping cartridges submitted by a medical marijuana caregiver to a Michigan Marijuana Regulatory Agency licensed safety compliance facility also contained 40 percent or more of vitamin E acetate, MDHHS says.
And from the earlier linked article,
For example, there are smartphone apps, like Pocket Vapor Calculator, that instruct users on how many turns of the wire to make to achieve a desired resistance for the desired amount of heat. But if there’s a miscalculation — say, making too many turns of the wire or using wire that is too thin — then the vape pen can vaporize a slew of toxic metal and nickel nanoparticles that can damage the lungs and perhaps even cause acute eosinophilic pneumonia. That’s a rare disorder where immune cells called eosinophils to migrate to the lungs, resulting in incredible damage. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia has been observed in some of the patients with vaping injuries.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My communist radio station shared this earlier today, and I think it needs to really be circulated widely.
"Some of the underlying factors that have brought us here are going to be very difficult to deal with," she says. If this were simply a case of contaminated food, the CDC could identify the product and recall it from the shelves. It's very different to intervene in an outbreak "that we believe is due to behaviors that may be quite common and products that, for whatever reason, seem to be quite risky."

The suspicious vapes are not only risky, but hard to quit, and likely illicit if not downright illegal, depending on the state. That's part of why she and her colleagues are reluctant to say just how long it will take to bring this frightening situation under control.
Truly, I can tell you with all of my (limited) experience, this is unlike just about anything I can think of. There's all kinds of confounding factors to consider here and IMHO it's still too early to say what the health impacts (if any) of eCigarette/vaping are. Remember, this is a relatively new trend (~10 years) and unfortunately everyone doing it is part of a giant experiment (whether they like to think of it that way or not). Something has absolutely changed and I fear the general message is being lost/confused/misinterpreted.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seems strange that after 10 years its just now happening. If it was vaping in general you'd think millions would be dead by now.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There are likely lung issues that are going to start showing up in people that have been vaping for 10+ years. What's happening right now could be completely unrelated to that or a super-accelerated version of what regular users might experience after 10+ years of daily use. It's a scramble right now. Anecdotally this seems like an issue tied to very specific users of a very specific product, but more work needs to be done.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Vaping may be old, but use of nicotine salt in vaping only started with Juul, IIRC.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds